May 8

Along the Waterfront

Blog Cabin 2013 Water Views

A big part of Blog Cabin’s appeal is that phenomenal view of Core Sound. How is the remodeling team making the most of the home’s waterfront location? First, by making sure the newly renovated home offers views from every possible vantage point and then by providing a front-row seat to all the action. Rebuilding the dock took some creative thinking but now offers a spot to bask in the sun, nature watch (yes, dolphins play in these waters) and fish for flounder, red drum, croaker, mullet and skates.

To learn more, please visit the Remodeling of Blog Cabin 2013 package on HGTVRemodels.com where we’ve just launched features on waterfront views and dock reconstruction. I truly appreciate project manager Dylan Eastman’s sensitive, environmentally friendly approach to home remodeling and land development.

1. Here's my guess – they didn't get the right "before" pictures for the main deck area so they turned back time for some remedial filming. There is one other possibility – I had noticed two or three cable anchors put on the side of the column in the center where they then put the stairs; they were removed when the stairs were built and would only have been usable if the steps were narrower and there was a short section of rail between the column and a top newel post. This is not the first time (think gable detail) that some decorative work was done more than once. Of course, that wouldn't affect the plantings except for possibly spacing next to narrower steps. Those steps, by the way, may have been too wide to meet code without having to add a handrail down the center.

Ishmael on May 12, 2013 at 5:58 pm
    • I don't think those steps are any wider that 6' Ishmael, in most places that is acceptable.

540sam on May 13, 2013 at 4:40 am
    • I think you're right about the six feet, but with six columns across the deck that would make the deck only thirty feet wide – I think it's more, so the width of each bay looks more like nine or ten.

Ishmael on May 13, 2013 at 2:28 pm
    • 30' width looks about right. Don't forget the expanded view widens everything visually. The doors are about 6' wide and from straight on they are equal to the columns width.

540sam on May 13, 2013 at 2:38 pm
    • It's about 30ft. We knew this from way back. :)

Clive on May 13, 2013 at 2:41 pm
    • Well, we'll agree to disagree . My estimate came from the foyer door wall where the probable 36" door takes up just about 1/3 of that wall which defines the width of the side deck. Both that side deck and the back deck appear to be the same width on the drawings. The new pergola blocks the view of a lot of the deck and by daybreak it may be turned off anyway. Maybe we should start to ask for a complete set of blueprints to be uploaded!

Ishmael on May 14, 2013 at 1:19 am
    • Ishmael I think you have answered your own question, on the updated floorplan pg 7of8 you can see the foyer doors are the width of the entrance columns and all foreward facing columns are equal and the steps are the same width as the columns, 6ft, you can't stretch it, it is what it is, a 30ft deck. You can even measure if you want.

540sam on May 14, 2013 at 3:41 pm
    • I see what you mean, IF the rendering is the way it was built. In that case a six foot width between the columns would indicate a six foot depth to the porch because each section looks square which would make the total area of the main deck about 250 square feet. Allowing about 40 square feet for the bedroom deck the total would come up far short of the 489 shown on the page you cite. Eight feet from column to column and wall to railing would give just about the 450 square feet needed. That would also make the foyer door wall just about nine feet wide, which makes sense. These guys could make it a lot easier if they gave us some blueprints – I'd prefer seeing space devoted to that than to bedroom slippers and throw blankets!

Ishmael on May 14, 2013 at 11:44 pm
    • This is just an archetects rendering as you would see in a home brochure and not to scale for any purpose of scaling. Plans would only complicate things for the average blogger and personally I don't care if I ever see another set of plans. I'ts just for a way to get people involved with the process of the build and choices of items that will make them closer to the project, nothing more or less.:)

540sam on May 15, 2013 at 12:45 am
    • I don't believe there is any national code requiring steps from a deck or patio to a yard to have intermediate handrails no matter what the width, only handrails down the sides. However, NC may have local codes requiring it.

Clive on May 13, 2013 at 2:56 pm
    • Right Clive, that is usually for comerical applications.

540sam on May 13, 2013 at 4:11 pm
    • Family in New Jersey had to narrow their planned deck steps so that no place on the steps was more than (I think) three feet from a handrail. Keeping it wider would have required that center handrail. I don't know if that was a county regulation or state, or if either is a derivative of the national "code" which some locales adopt.

Ishmael on May 14, 2013 at 1:04 am
    • That must be a local code. I checked an updated copy of the national building codes and there's no requirement for intermediate handrails in residential construction for decks and patios. I did find that there was a requirement in CA for stairs over 88 inches wide but that was droped several years back.

Also there's no NC code that requires intermediate handrails no matter what the stair width from a patio or deck. My brother-in-law lives in the NC piedmont and has 12ft wide stadium-style steps from his back porch to the back yard. He confirmed that ther's no requirement fot intermediate handrails. To add more weight to that argumnent is that Roby's were the contractors for his house when he built a few years back.

Clive on May 14, 2013 at 3:24 pm
    • I think people really forget how small this house really is Clive, and they keep trying to make it bigger because of the cam views. I think the pic of Grundy on the last thread gives a good view. I answered Ishamel with what I think is a solid explanation that will take away trying to deduce a conclusion based on the cam.

540sam on May 14, 2013 at 3:47 pm
    • I agree. The cam has a fish-eye lens that distorts from the center out.

When the foundation was being constructed it was easy to count the number of bricks in the wall that faces the camera. Some simple math using that number and the size of a regular house brick (+ a little mortar) and I was able to calculate the front wall width in ft. From this it was also a very simple piece of computing to get dimensions for the entire house, rooms, porches etc. Long before we were given the house sq ft areas I used the 'brick' measure and came up with a total sq ft of 2080 (approx). The actual sq ft stated by DIY some time later is 2061 sq ft. This is a relatively small cottage not a mansion.:)

Clive on May 15, 2013 at 11:17 am
  2. Happy Mother's Day everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bea on May 12, 2013 at 7:09 pm
  3. I just got a chance to peek in. I wonder if they are going to put a deck in front of the porch. If so, I'm surprised they didn't plan ahead better. Only time will tell. I also wonder if the markings we see by the grape arbor is the outline for our rustic pergola. What fun this is!!!

Risinglight on May 12, 2013 at 7:35 pm
  4. This is crazy. Just saw a man, women and dog leave the property. I did get the plate number and make of the car. ;) <3

MaryPA on May 12, 2013 at 7:42 pm
    • MaryPA…investigative reporting on Mother's Day ! You can be the Blog Nancy Drew, lol….I'd never be able to get a plate #, even with the zoom feature.

LLColeman on May 13, 2013 at 1:59 am
    • I noticed after the sun came up 5:40 AM that the driveway gate was open and no one was there yet. What kind of dog?

540sam on May 13, 2013 at 6:04 am
    • Anyone we know? lol

trish on May 13, 2013 at 10:09 am
  5. What I come back from visiting with my mother and the whole place is different now. I too thought I was looking at some old pictures. Do you think they are taking down the cables and going to put in some nice white ones, to make it look more like the old cottage maybe? Or maybe going to screen it all in? Wish full thinking right!
    I love all they done out side so far, can't wait to see it finished!

home_girl on May 12, 2013 at 8:26 pm
    • Hope your Mother's Day was nice, Rhonda.

LLColeman on May 13, 2013 at 2:00 am
    • Yes it was thank you LL Coleman, I spend the day with my mother and a few of my siblings.
      Was a little hard for her for we laid my step-father to rest Thursday, he passed in Jan. so now she can have peace knowing he now at his final resting place and not sitting in some storage area.

home_girl on May 13, 2013 at 11:49 am
    • Oh that is sad about your father-in-law, but it must have helped your mom to have the weekend with you all. <3

LLColeman on May 13, 2013 at 8:41 pm
  6. Happy Mothers Day!

Today, I brought Mom to our home to celebrate the day…and enjoy a week with us. She doesn't get DIY on her cable channel. Guess they are now giving options to pay for it. She was unaware of the change. AND…poor thing doesn't have cable. So, she's getting to see what I share with her. I wish there were more inside shots of the BC. I've given her the only tour possible. :) These images have given her some ways of drawing on ol' memories. Thank you, DIY for this. It's quite a gift to hear her retell her cabin stories.

Trish on May 12, 2013 at 8:56 pm
    • Trish, I'm so happy for you that you still have your Mom around to cherish. I know you will relish each moment.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on May 12, 2013 at 11:36 pm
    • Happy Mother's Day,Trish, and hope you have a great week with your mom.

LLColeman on May 13, 2013 at 2:02 am
    • Thank you for the warm wishes, WCG & LLC.

Today, I'll have her out helping in our raised garden bed. She used to love gardening. And her green thumb….let's just say, she has a jungle in her apartment. I keep thinking a zoo/large office space would welcome her HUGE plants. I'm going to take a clipping from her angel winged begonia. It is taller than I am. It was a gift from a dear friend of our's. When I take Mom home, we'll be getting her plants for her little patio. See…..Mother's Day isn't just one day of the year. Companies need to know this. ;)

Trish on May 13, 2013 at 10:08 am
    • I have not seen an angel wing begonia in a long time..one of my favorite plants…my grandmother and mom taught me so much about plants…I learned to identify a lot of plant names from them. <3
      My mom will be 89 in a few weeks…she is so lucky to have survived so many things! I told her this is Mother's WEEK ! I figure anyone who lives thru so much motherhood should have an entire week..not only 1 day.

LLColeman on May 13, 2013 at 8:47 pm
  7. So, we tried fishing on Minnesota's fishing opener, Saturday; 30 MPH sustained wind (gusting much higher) 39 degree temperature, snow, sleet and most lakes still iced in. We worked the fishing for about four hours before we went back to the cabin to warm up and get a sandwich.

I return home to find that we've got a fire pit and patio area at the BC. I also see that we can not see into the windows anymore; what fun is that?

DGustaf on May 12, 2013 at 9:31 pm
    • You are a hardy soul to be out fishing in that weather ! Where is Cheryl K to whip up a nice buffet after being "buffeted" by the winds and cold sleet ? LOL ;)

LLColeman on May 13, 2013 at 1:50 am
    • Amazing weather here in MN, freezing over the weekend and will be 90 on Tuesday; the buffet will need both hot and cold foods.

DGustaf on May 13, 2013 at 8:14 am
    • o.0 :'( c-r-a-z-y

LLColeman on May 13, 2013 at 8:37 pm
    • How far north is your lake? We've been keeping an eye on a lake in MN…a lot of it is still frozen! AND…the evening temps were in the freezing levels. I'm very thankful for the 83+ degree temps later this week. It has to thaw so I can get back into a boat for fishing!

The fire pit and patio area is fantastic. Now that the sun is up, I'll be able to show Mom some better pics of the cabin. Will there be any inside pics coming up anytime THIS week?

Trish on May 13, 2013 at 9:56 am
  8. DIY, you are all simply amazing! Although I love DIMS (myself)….I LOVE watching this awesome team DIY on THIS job! Its STUNNING! Im soo in love with this place! Again, I not only love and would love to WIN this home, I NEED Aaa hone…any home.,….but to win this? Oh myy what a dream come true this would be for myself and my small family. Wow! I fall in love with this view and all the "upcycling" done to it EVERY SINGLE TIME I come back and here and look. Im in complete awe.Thank you for giving us all this golden opportunity! God Bless you ALL! And Good luck to ALL as well!

Angela on May 12, 2013 at 11:44 pm
  9. <3:*:oxD<3:p

Angela on May 12, 2013 at 11:46 pm
    • LOL Angela, I think you speak for all of us! ;-)

karenlin91 on May 13, 2013 at 7:49 am