May 2

Cabin Comforts: Keep the Party Going

Blog Cabin 2013 party items

Today begins the Cabin Comforts vote for party products. Please vote up to ten times per day for entertaining items and then enter once per day for your chance to win a gift set identical to the one we present to the winner of Blog Cabin 2013.

• Posted at 10:35 am on May 5, 2013

1. Good Morning to All, It looks as though they are getting ready to install the front porch Decking!!! Yeah:p^_^
    Now we will see how that brown is going to look with the gray siding!! I can't wait to see how they are going to finish the underneath of the porch…I hope they will take our suggestions and add white lattace underneath..
    like the original Cottage had on the screened porch..I'm missing the Cozy appearance so far but hope it will come in time with this Cottage…..
    Maybe we will still get a portion of the porch screened at the Foyer area. That would be better than no screen at all and that area you can still have the water view…I wonder when Alison will start on the Kitchen? That should be next..Too bad we didn't get Our Camera in the Kitchen area to follow the activity inside:(:(
    We want to see tooo!!! :p^_^:D:)B)<3

Jennie/Florida on May 3, 2013 at 9:19 am
    • I would prefer a row of knock-out roses rather than lattice.

pinevalley on May 3, 2013 at 9:54 am
    • Hi pinevalley, I would prefer knockout roses there too, but want something behind them to prevent little animals and varmins from making it their home!:)

Jennie/Florida on May 3, 2013 at 10:38 am
    • Looking through the windows/doors, I could see three pendant lights. I'm assuming they're in the kitchen.

Seriously….we need binoculars to look through this house. Like the idea of a camera in the kitchen/inside.

Trish on May 8, 2013 at 8:53 am
  2. Good Morning,The new choices are great & I'm voteing for the karaoke machine.Because it sounds like alot of fun,at a party!

Angelways on May 3, 2013 at 9:32 am
  3. They are assembling the kitchen cabinets in the back near the tent, and readying the porch for the railing!

Risinglight on May 3, 2013 at 9:44 am
  4. Where is Everyone??? Wake Up Every Bloggie, What are they doing to Our Beautiful White Porch Columns??
    I realllly hope they are not adding brown inserts to those nice White columns! OK Builder, I'm taking a deep breath, calm down and relax..Please someone tell me I'm seeing things!!! Clive, Sam, Builder??? Anyone??
    o.0:(

Jennie/Florida on May 3, 2013 at 9:55 am
    • That is the template that they are using so that the rails go in evenly.

Risinglight on May 3, 2013 at 10:24 am
    • What rails???

Jennie/Florida on May 3, 2013 at 10:27 am
    • I imagine cabeling as in the upstairs.

540sam on May 3, 2013 at 10:57 am
    • In any event that is what they are doing, they have it all laid out on the workbench.

Risinglight on May 3, 2013 at 11:21 am
    • OK, I think the guy was just using the brown piece of wood tor measurement or something, I don't think he is going to connect that brown insert to the post…Whew, that's a relief!!!:D
      I saw the Kitchen Cabinets outback and love the color and style..They are going to look sooo good in the little kitchen and being light color will make the kitchen look bigger!^_^ Love it!

Jennie/Florida on May 3, 2013 at 10:25 am
    • Jennie, I am back from the funeral, so sit back, relax, and take many, many deep breaths, before you start to hyperventilate. :) Might be just too much caffeine in your system today. :) :)

Builder on May 3, 2013 at 5:44 pm
    • LOL Builder,"thank you very much" I haven't had any Caffeine today but I have calmed down..:pB)
      We have had High winds up to 50 mph and Torrential rains all day …We've had 3 inches of rain so far "today" and more for the evening and through the night..It has been raining all week. Now it getting serious because all the yards are totally saturated, water standing and fear of fallen trees now due to the High winds.. With heavy rains washing away the soil from the root system…My big trees are sitting on a slope in my back yard and as I sit in my Computer room looking out in my backyard, I have seen big limbs drop from my Sycamore Tree, as I Blog to My Blogging Buddies…I have no control of where they fall but just pray they fall in the yard and not on my house!! Scary…Tonight we will go another round and Tomorrow another round and by Saturday evening it should be on it's way out, I pray!! This is just the beginning of a wild Spring and Summer Weather pattern…June starts Hurricane Season and will last till the end of November…Not looking forward to all that…. Sooooo this Weather Lady Jennie Signs off for now o.0:)^_^B) Have a Good Evening!!:)B) What Funeral???:(:(

Jennie/Florida on May 3, 2013 at 7:06 pm
    • It was the funeral of a friend, who I have known for over 40 years. She was only 58 years old. She had trouble with failing kidneys, and failing eyesight. She is now at peace with the world, with no pain. What a wonderful funeral, a celebration of her life. :)

Builder on May 3, 2013 at 7:56 pm
    • I'm so sorry for Your loss Builder, it's so hard to turn loose of Someone You value..She was so young and brave to leave our world, but She is no longer pain and She is in a better place and Celebrating her life was a great homage to Her..May She rest Now!!! Thank you for sharing<3

Jennie/Florida on May 3, 2013 at 8:35 pm
    • Welcome back Builder, you were missed here. I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of your friend.

SID on May 3, 2013 at 9:00 pm
    • I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your wonderful friend. I wish you peace as you heal through your grief from her passing, and fond memories as you continue to celebrate her life.

Peacefurpets on May 4, 2013 at 10:18 pm
    • Jennie, so very sorry to hear that you're having such terrible weather. I hope you will be safe and also not have any damage to your home or landscaping. The weather is weird here here in central AR too. After a week of temperatures in the 80's we are getting record cold right now. The northwestern part of our state actually received 1 to 3 inches of snow yesterday. That is the very first time in recorded history that it ever snowed in Arkansas in May!:o:'( Please stay safe there in Florida dear friend! <3<3<3

SID on May 3, 2013 at 8:58 pm
    • Thank you Sid, We were pretty lucky, no damage but had big tree limbs down in my back yard, thank goodness they didn't fall on my house. Almost all of Florida was flooding..My Daughter in Ft. Lauderdale had water coming up to her driveway and cars. Her house is up on higher ground and they were stuck for a couple of days and couldn't get out due to the water rushing down the road..Scary!
      Strange to hear you had Snow in May…Wow, I wonder what the hot Summer will bring?? I'm dreading Hurricane Season!:( Thank you for being concerned, You are so Sweet, Friend^_^<3

Jennie/Florida on May 5, 2013 at 11:12 am
    • Builder, I'm sorry for the loss–Was it Family? Friend? Glad you are safely back, but sad for you for the reason of your absence.:|:o Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 3, 2013 at 7:18 pm
    • Builder, I am so sorry for the loss of your friend, that is always so hard. And welcome back, I think we need some reminders to relax and breathe deeply ;-)

karenlin91 on May 4, 2013 at 8:56 am
    • HI, I've been awake…just sittin on the dock….

TishaStanley on May 3, 2013 at 6:34 pm
  5. looks like they are getting ready to put the decking down too, then we'll get to see how the decking color matching the BC color.
    What are they digging the ditch for I wonder? is it for the doggy yard area?

home_girl on May 3, 2013 at 10:11 am
    • I hope it is to bring electricity down to the dock area.

Risinglight on May 3, 2013 at 10:23 am
    • Hi Risinglight, They already have electrical on the Dock and it has been there since the Dock builders rebuilt the Dock…:)

Jennie/Florida on May 3, 2013 at 10:32 am
    • Missed that! I thought the extension chord was going to the dock, not from it. Thanks.

Risinglight on May 3, 2013 at 11:01 am
    • One line was going to the dock/pier from the electrical at the well. It was lying on the surface behind those 2 large trees, where you see the large posts. Another cord was plugged in at the deck box, coming back to the camera. I missed all the action today, since I was attending a funeral.

Builder on May 3, 2013 at 5:26 pm
    • The ditch appears to be associated with the pump….one section leads away from the pump to the drainage ditch by the dock…maybe an overflow drain line? There is a ditch also leading in the opposite direction and curving around towars the arbor area….interesting…

RLD on May 3, 2013 at 10:30 am
    • Don't they bury the line for a invisible fence for the dog area that got voted on? Looks like the area that won the votes. Just that it goes in a circle kind of, was fun watching him anyway. I see the digging machine now back on the truck so they must be finished with the digging then.

home_girl on May 3, 2013 at 10:42 am
    • Water line.

540sam on May 3, 2013 at 10:53 am
    • For the outdoor shower and the old hand pump for the doggy bowl filler perhaps?:)

Clive on May 3, 2013 at 11:08 am
    • They said the old pump was going in the shower area for a foot wash, why? I don't know.

540sam on May 3, 2013 at 11:24 am
    • And a dog dish filler, as writtten by Dylan in the 'remodelling of' section. :)

I'm wondering whether the line to the house is for the main house supply (they've had hose pipe up to now and it's time for kitchen crashers) and the line to the trees behind the well to the left is for the shower (and repurposed water pump)? :)

Clive on May 3, 2013 at 3:19 pm
    • I would assume a water line as well since there is already an electrical box on the left side of the pier.
      A water line could be used for many things – shower and/or a place to clean fish.

pinevalley on May 3, 2013 at 11:27 am
    • There seem to be 2 ditches and there's probably a gray water return/used shower w/ soap and shampoo water, cannot just drain to ground or the ocean, it has to drain into septic. I followed the lines the best I could w/ cabin cam and am pretty sure I saw two lines to the right side of pier. these lines also flank what appears to be the location of the pergola (which IMO) I don't prefer, right next to trees. I know it will be beautiful, however I had envisioned pergola near where muscadine grapes are, or stand-alone somewhere….sigh.B)^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 3, 2013 at 12:01 pm
    • I was hoping the pergola was going over near the grapes too. That's how the picture of the winning style show it and I loved the look of it, beside it would give a better view of the water front and be away from the dog run area.
      Just wishful thinking I guess.

home_girl on May 3, 2013 at 12:59 pm
    • I still think it is gooing by the grapes. Just guessing of course. xD

Clive on May 3, 2013 at 3:21 pm
    • Clive, I sure hope you are correct!B):*xD Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 3, 2013 at 4:54 pm
    • Barely 50% of my guesses are even close. :$ Let's hope this is one of the close ones. :)

Clive on May 3, 2013 at 5:26 pm
    • B)^_^xDKitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 3, 2013 at 6:18 pm
    • Hi, Rhonda! For ALL the excellent reasons you gave, the pergola SHOULD be near the grapes! I just don't think it–or anything else, such as a storage unit, should be built where those posts are–well, maybe the horseshoe game could go there…. LOL! And absolutely YES! The BC NEEDS a storage place large enough for outdoor furniture, lawn equipment, nautical/beach and BBQ stuff storage during storms. That's an absolute must! But NOT by the pecan trees. I'm so old fashioned also, that the contemporary look of the porch bannisters is not setting well for my visual priority, but i'm one person. It will be gorgeous over-all when finished and that's what counts! Wishing you the best of luck. I have those Leavitt pictures, but haven't any names to put on them yet, Rhonda. Haven't forgotten, but am working to try to get ancestral names put on so we can trace our links, otherwise photos don't help, since we don't know who they are. Hope all is well with you and yours and that your Mom's knees are getting stronger all the time! Coming to Maine, hopefully, July 27-Aug 10. Hope we can get together somehow in that time and meet, finally. Love and hugs! KittyxD^_^<3

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 3, 2013 at 5:12 pm
    • Hi Kitty,
      My Mother doing well now ,she now doing some walking exercise now around her home most days now, which is very good for her. My Step father will soon be laid to rest in his family plot which happens to be next to my family so makes it easier for my mother to visit their grave site.
      Go ahead and send pictures who know maybe someone in my family may know who they are or might even have pictures like them.
      I should be in the area around those dates, we go on vacation just a few days later with my family in August. if the 2012 BC not sold by then maybe we can have them open it up and we can enjoy seeing it together if you want too. My website missed up for the link to Waldoboro house as soon as it's fixed I'll put up new pictures of the BC I took when there. I'll let everyone know so they can see the upstairs shower glass doors…
      Rhonda

home_girl on May 4, 2013 at 4:36 pm
    • Actually, 'gray water' can drain straight into the ground (soap and all) without a septic tank. However, I agree it will not be drained directly under the shower. It could go back to the drainfield behind the house as we look at it or down to the waterside ditch and drain that way. That's more likely as it goes with the slope of the yard.

There's a line from the well head towards the 6 new upright posts next to the trees. I'm hoping that's where they'll put the shower (if not next to the house). It's probably going to be cold water only (same as 2011 shower), but it's easy and cheap to install a solar heated hot system too. In the summer a cool shower is probably all that's needed ;) .

While on the topic of where things may go my BIG question is where will the fire pit go? The design chosen requires a paved area keyed to the house. Maybe it will go directly in front of the steps to the deck? The free-standing pit would have given them a lot more flrxibility. Too late now. ^_^

Clive on May 3, 2013 at 5:37 pm
    • Kitty, gray water is what comes out of septic you don't need to pump gray water into septic, I didn't see the lines laid out and buried, I can only see the flagging which looks red or orange, either way it's wrong, blue=water, green=sanitary, red=electric, yellow=gas. That's a standard color identification of marking to let you know what's there and applies everywhere. But since I see the lines comming from the well they have to be water. Im with you on the pergola location Clive speculated awhile back it could be for storage.

540sam on May 3, 2013 at 5:45 pm
    • I don't think you have to dig that deep for the doggy fence. I think it is some kind of drain for water. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

rsl73 on May 3, 2013 at 1:22 pm
    • There is no wire for the doggy fence, it's radio waves I think.

540sam on May 3, 2013 at 5:46 pm
  6. Looks like they may be getting ready to install the same wire railing on the lower deck as they have on the upper deck. I really like it ( I know some don't) but to me it evokes the railings of the old ocean liners or the safety railings around larger sailing yachts. Very nautical. Like the prow of a liner forging out into the Atlantic ocean. Theme from 'Titanic' on the wireless speaker anyone? xD

It will also mean no obstruction of views from the living room windows, doors or the 1st floor porch. B) I'm lovin' it! :)

Clive on May 3, 2013 at 11:15 am
    • I agree Clive, both HGTV and Blog Cabin seems to have switched to it.

540sam on May 3, 2013 at 11:25 am
    • But Clive this is not an Oceanliner and is gearing towards streamlining and not sticking with the old Cottage feel…It's great for a more Modern Home on the Beach but I don't think goes well with the Old Cottage that had so much History attached and all the Charm it had..The Cottage is turning into a Modern Nautical Showplace and not a Cozy, Charming Cottage we loved so much! :( Sad:(

Jennie/Florida on May 3, 2013 at 11:46 am
    • I agree with you Jennie, I don't care for the cable either. I would like to see the nice white rails also to give it that cottage charm. If either are put in the middle of the column's you should still be able to put up screen walls to keep bugs away. Just attack them to the columns, to either the inside or on the outside of them.

home_girl on May 3, 2013 at 12:53 pm
    • We'll just have to agree to disagree on the cable railings. :) For me some new items are better than what has been available traditionally and, therefore, in a remodel are fine. JMO of course. For example we have new composite material decking, siding, windows, roofing and doors on this house so why not a new style of guard rail? :) It's not as though wire cables are a modern invention, it's just their use in this context that may seem out of place to some. However, I respect your taste in these matters and understand your argument for a different style. I just disagree.

With regard to your statement "I guess the hopes of even a Small screened porch is gone" I'm wondering how you came to this conclusion. I believe it would actually be easier to fit a screen with this railing system in place, or at the least, no more difficult than with a more solid system. With either they need to construct a frame on which to suspend the screening. The railing system is independent of the screen. :)

Clive on May 3, 2013 at 3:00 pm
    • Hi Clive, I have nothing against the cable railing and I think they look great on a Modern Home
      but I don't think they go with this style and period of Cottage. All those things you named are updated materials and the Cottage was in need of newer windows, doors, roofing and siding but those things don't stand out as something too modern for the Cottage.

The reason I made the statement about the Screen porch is because I thought if tDiy went to all the trouble, time and money to install all that wiring in those Columns around the Porch and where the Screened Porch might go, they wouldn't go back and add the Screen porch…Just My Thoughts!.

Clive if Everyone like the same things, this would be a very Boring World!!!^_^:)B)

Jennie/Florida on May 3, 2013 at 4:28 pm
    • The south is an extremely insect friendly environment, from 747 size mosquitoes to no-see-ums that laugh at screens, when you walk outside you will get them on your legs, shoes, socks, pants etc, unless you adjust and find what repels them from you, you will be a shut in to inside for 6 or 8 mos of the year, everyone talks about screened porches but no one has mentioned the spacing between the decking, bugs come up from there also. From a guy whose been there and still is.

540sam on May 3, 2013 at 6:08 pm
    • Will these cable rust in a few years and we have that rusty railing look or will it take many years before they rust or will it rust at all. Just wondering for what an eye soar if they do!
      I just worry about getting cut by the cables or get burned by them when you rub up against them. Will they come apart later on too giving you the sharp edges that will cut you too or are they coated with something to keep them from doing that? I don't know much about them, so I am just asking…
      I just don't care for them wither inside or outside, but others do so each to his own, that's what makes each home special to the owners, done in they own taste and style.

home_girl on May 4, 2013 at 4:51 pm
    • They don't rust, ever. :)

Sally on May 4, 2013 at 6:03 pm
    • Sally that's great to hear thanks for letting me know…

home_girl on May 4, 2013 at 6:21 pm
    • Homegirl I found this on a website that sells stainless steel cable railing.

"The only metals that won't corrode are gold and platinum in their natural state. Each type of stainless steel, and there are several, has its own specific characteristics. Stainless steel cable & railing type 316, the most resistant to corrosion, will tend to rust in environments around swimming pool chemicals or if located near the sea. However, products are available to remove the rust and restore the protective coating. As such, protective coatings are not necessarily permanent, therefore, some periodic maintenance may be required."

Mel on May 4, 2013 at 6:29 pm
    • Part 2 of your question regarding safety. I didn't find anything on the internet about tension cable railing being dangerous for homeowners. There are specific guidelines for removing them, so one would not be injured by them, and a professional could always be hired for removal.

In the world of bridge construction, cranes & wenches, amusement park rides, etc… there have been horrible outcomes when tension cables snapped…..but Nothing in my search showed any danger associated with a deck surround. If another blogger found something different regarding safety maybe they could post it to the blog.

Mel on May 4, 2013 at 7:27 pm
    • Mel, thank you for your research & info. That's good work.

Wind Chime Girl on May 4, 2013 at 8:55 pm
    • Thanks Mel that good to know, I would think they used the one that would be safe for this area near the salt water.
      I just seen cable come apart and rust and just hoping that these won't be doing that too. Thanks for the reassurance, makes me feel better about it being there.

home_girl on May 4, 2013 at 11:18 pm
    • Jennie, You said it girl. My sentiments exactly! I was so dissappointed that they did that to this, what was once a beautiful house, that I can't even go on the Cabin Cam any more because it just sickens me. I'm OK with some eclectic treatments in the interior of a house, because it has separate living areas. But, to me, the outside should be one cohesive style. Those steel cables are definitely an "urban oasis" look, and do not belong on a circa 1892 seaside cottage. You have wide white trim all around the windows and doors of this house, and then there are skinny brown posts and rails on the upstairs balcony. Go figure! As Kitty said, this is a big design miss. Now that I have gotten that off my chest, have a nice day, Jennie and all fellow bloggers. :D ;)Boo

Boo on May 3, 2013 at 6:08 pm
    • I don't mind the wire, I hope that don't use the brown trim on the lower level. I wish the upstairs was white, thou I did think it looked very nice with the Mega Dens chairs & telescope.

rsl73 on May 3, 2013 at 1:21 pm
    • I agree. The railing on deck gave me pause for a moment but quickly made the BC go to a more modern clean look maintaining views. Outstanding design and simple lines. I am sure we can always screen the gazebo from the local flying visitors to satisfy outdoor relaxing.

Kevin on May 4, 2013 at 6:31 pm
    • Clive…I didn't agree with you at first (re liking the cable railing)….however, the more I look at it and appreciate how is preserves the view from inside….the more I like it. I really don't mind the blend of old and new. As far as honoring the families that lived there in the past….notice that, for whatever reason, they opted to go elsewhere. If you compare the "before" photos with how the new BC looks, I have to say that the new version looks much, much better. Obviously just one more opinion….. I will understand and not be hurt by a "thumbs down" or two!. I know that many bloggers feel much differently. Hey, if we all agreed about everything, most of us would be unnecessary.

RLD on May 4, 2013 at 8:27 pm
    • RLD, I think we are getting used to the cables. We must since they are there!
      Old & new, it pretty much works everywhere except in a museum and this isn't that, soooo – there you are. No thumbs down here for you, you are on the mark. And this remake of BC is a much better version of the falling-down BC.

Wind Chime Girl on May 4, 2013 at 9:00 pm
    • I'm not a huge fan of the look of the cable railings, but I do see your point about less obstruction of the view – I suppose I could paint them white to make it more cohesive with the rest of the cabin, if I were to win it :)

Mimitheminer on May 6, 2013 at 8:14 pm
  7. So did Everyone know but me that they were adding the railing on the front porch like they did on the upper Balcony?? o.0:( So I guess the hopes of even a Small screened porch is gone:( Soooo Sad!!!:(

Jennie/Florida on May 3, 2013 at 11:24 am
    • Hey, Jennie, I agree with your last 2 comments, getting a bit too nautical and loosing the cozy cabin feel. Also, I don't know why they need any railing on the lower porch except to keep little ones from falling off. I'm, too, am afraid there will be no screening. Any after const. add-on of screening will look like an after thought add-on. I have a friend with cable railing on her upper deck and it looks great, but it fits her house.
      DIY will surprise us with the final results and it will be beautiful. Keep the faith!

Wind Chime Girl on May 3, 2013 at 1:21 pm
    • I am really surprised that no one spotted all the holes that were drilled in the 2 posts immediately left of the foyer. The holes were drilled some time ago. If you looked real closely at those posts, you would have seen many sets of 3 holes each, for every tension wire assembly. Personally, I love that tension wire look, to match the balcony, but I know many do not. It is all a matter of taste, I guess. Looks like lots of guessing, and hoping, going on right now. Smile :) :), and have a great evening.

Builder on May 3, 2013 at 5:41 pm
    • I saw the holes, Builder, and knew what they were for–sorry, not happy with that brown trim–preferred not to say anything. Was NOT pleased with the brown floor choice nor the brown floor vote. If it's put up for vote and people don't think about the future consequences of a mismatch, clashes happen– and this is an example. Brown should have never been a choice for the vote early on, when the cabin color choice was voted gray. JMO. A Designer looks at the big picture….:SB);) OOOOooooopsies…. Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 4, 2013 at 12:20 pm
    • You go, Girl!!

Wind Chime Girl on May 4, 2013 at 9:05 pm
    • Jennie I knew the two porches would end up matching and I did blog that several threads back.

The BC has Beautiful Exterior Symmetrical Design!!
      I Love it, and felt strongly the finish materials of the two porches would need to match in order to maintain the symmetry of the exterior ….. the cable wires IMO conflict with the charming farmhouse look the wrap around porch gives the home. Sorry DIY but when I look at a home that reflects beautiful matching symmetry I want the design theme for the exterior to match too!
      They look modern industrial to me. I've seen the look for years on warehouse staircases. Maybe in time they will grow on me…but for now I'm not seeing the charm of the porches reflected back in the surround choice.
      My husband likes them :)

Mel on May 3, 2013 at 7:19 pm
    • Hi Mel, Once the second floor Balcony was caged in with the wire, I had a feeling the front Porch would get the same, otherwise it would be off symmetry, that is why I was so disappointed when I saw them add the "Brown" post and installing the cable wires…The post can be painted white to soften it up a little but now they have tightened the wire, I'm not sure what can be added to the wire to take the industial look away…If I were to win I might try to cover them with the white rope lights and paint the post white ^_^ I wonder whose idea it was for that design??? Brown doesn't go with gray and white and I think the voters who doesn't blog voted that brown color…There has got to be something wrong with that picture! They also voted on the wood sealing for the Master or the Mega Den, can't remember off hand but that was disappointing for a Seaside Cottage..I think they need to change the voting rules…I think the person has to read the blogs and blog with the bloggers to be able to vote…That way maybe they would think differently before they voted…Just a Thought!!^_^ All the Guys like the cable wire fence:p:D….No Charm, just cold and industrial also No work for the guys to take care of!!!o.0:) Have a Good Weekend !!!:pB)<3

Jennie/Florida on May 3, 2013 at 8:09 pm
    • Jennie, in the spirit of making lemonade from a huge banging lemon – what a great place to air dry your – socks?
      Okay, I can't spin that any better, it's all I got. Repeat – "Keep the faith"!?!

Wind Chime Girl on May 3, 2013 at 11:30 pm
    • Hi WCG, Please forgive me but I don't get the jest of your comment?? I do have faith and I do know at the end of this journey this Cottage and Landscaping will be one of the most beautiful ever..Diy has never let us down! This is my Seventh BC to join in and get to choose what will go into the BC. I am a pretty calm person, but will get excited about things from time to time, but it's a fun excitement and try not to be negative….We all have opinions and some are good and some are not, but we all respect one another and except opinions whether we agree or not because this is all in fun and We care for our Blogging Buddies…Have a Great Day!!!^_^

Jennie/Florida on May 4, 2013 at 10:53 am
    • Jennie, I waited to answer you here, quietly, because I'm not quite sure if you really took offense to my inane comment. I certainly know you have the faith. I was just trying to lighten your spirits about this BC. I know you have years on me here, that is not in dispute.
      You and I had a previous short converse about your passion, don't forget that I said I love your passion. So all that being understood, if I wrote anything hurtful to you, I apologize.
      I value everything you say. I'm so very new to blogging, maybe sometimes my texted word doesn't convey the spirit of my thoughts. I was simply trying to bring both of us out of our dismay re the cabling on the front porch. It's as simple as that. Okay, Jennie?

Wind Chime Girl on May 4, 2013 at 10:26 pm
    • Thank you WCG, You are Very Sweet and I didn't take offense just caught off guard with the Socks, but now understand how you meant it..You are right, we need to lighten up a little bit and except the fact the cabling is here to stay, so we should move on and enjoy our daily Surprises as they come.:p Since we weren't privy to a Camera Cam in the kitchen as we "begged" for, we will have to be patient until Mary decides to share some inside Pics and continue to wonder what's going on inside..We all know that Diy has great taste in Design, but for those of us who fell in love with the Old cottage with all it's history,charm and coziness… We are very protective and want to see that she is graced with the same in this new Cottage and not go to another design that will take that away!
      Thank you for being so kind and Know that I consider you one of my Blogging Buddies and look forward to your comments!! :p^_^B)<3

Jennie/Florida on May 5, 2013 at 8:45 am
    • Back at you, Jennie, and thanks.

Wind Chime Girl on May 5, 2013 at 1:38 pm
    • Take a look at the front porch, they're not socks, but someone is already taking your suggestion!

Risinglight on May 5, 2013 at 11:11 am
    • Risinglight, OH MY. I really, really hate I missed that. That is too funny!! You know, I got to thinking after all that talk- the cables ARE going to be an easy place to hang stuff out to dry, beach towels, dog towels, etc. So, who cares of you have towels flapping in the breeze. At least the cables will be good for something.
      Thanks for that report, I'm still chuckling.

Wind Chime Girl on May 5, 2013 at 7:09 pm
    • Here we go again, I'm sorry Someone is unhappy with my comment and gave me a thumbs down..
      I guess I should keep my thoughts to myself or just stop blogging…I thought Everyone has a right to their opinion so I did vent a little Sorry!..If you disagree with me please say so, giving a thumbs down doesn't solve anything if you don't reply and let me know why your unhappy with what I've said….Have
      A Good Day!
      Correction that should be wood "ceiling"

Jennie/Florida on May 4, 2013 at 9:02 am
    • I gave you an "up", brought you back to 0 at least.

Wind Chime Girl on May 4, 2013 at 11:53 am

Jennie/Florida on May 4, 2013 at 4:26 pm
    • me too.

vicki_in_Utah on May 5, 2013 at 8:21 am
    • Jennie, I'm not going to defend the brown posts upstairs, just hoping they mellow with the weather….but the brown decking is a good tone to go with the gray, and there is something to be said for not being too monochromatic. I remember conversation when we were voting on the color and brown insisted on winning……they had some good thoughts and convinced me it would be okay…;-) As far as the cables go……..you can barely see them, and that is a good thing..it would be easy enough to put screen panels up behind the cables, have screen when you want, take them down when bugs aren't attacking….. and I love the idea of rope lights! I can see the place now at party time, or Christmas! Could be beautiful….;-)

karenlin91 on May 4, 2013 at 3:13 pm
    • I like the idea of screen panels behind the cables for the bug seasons.:D

JudyInMich on May 5, 2013 at 9:19 am
    • Not sure which comment got the thumbs down cause it's already been fixed, but I went up the blog and did some thumbs up, just because ;-) And think about WCG's comment about the lemonade….someone was really wanting clothesline……well there you go!! Picture in your head socks, or underdrawers or something else totally uncool drying on the cables LOL

karenlin91 on May 4, 2013 at 3:16 pm
    • Thank you Karen, :p I needed that!! My comments to Mel was the one that got the thumbs down..
      I was just giving constructive criticism and my thoughts about some issues that I didn't agree with. I think We should be able to do that without Bloggers getting all upset about it….
      It's just one person's opinion. I would rather they comment to me if they disagree instead of a thumbs down..
      This is a great Blogging Group and We have lots of fun and I'm sorry things like this happens! I have to admit that it gets me in a down mood and I'm usually on the upswing!
      I'm here to have fun and share ideas that will groom this Lovely Cottage and beautify all the wonderful landscaping around Her, so she can be given away to One Very Lucky Person! :p^_^B)<3 Have a Good Evening!B)^_^<3

Jennie/Florida on May 4, 2013 at 4:20 pm
    • "You see you can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself." Ricky Nelson, Garden Party. You just keep doing your thing Jennie. We blogers have your thumbs covered.:)

540sam on May 4, 2013 at 4:49 pm
    • 540sam, a perfect reference. I've told Jennie before not to so get riled up about the "down" business, but she doesn't listen! When I can come here I give her the "up" just to keep her calm. (Okay, that's all a sweet-meant joke, too. It's really hard to convey voice inflection in a blog!!) I love Jennie's comments and I hate it when "baddies" hit the down button on her. Jennie, if you see this, like I've said before, keep it coming. Never mind the negatives. It's in their minds, not yours & not ours.

Wind Chime Girl on May 4, 2013 at 9:22 pm
    • Thank you WCG, I appreciate your thoughts and kindness!^_^<3

Jennie/Florida on May 7, 2013 at 8:47 am
    • Thank you, Sam you guys are the Greatest!!!:p^_^B)<3

Jennie/Florida on May 5, 2013 at 10:04 am
    • Oh, darlin' Karenlin91, I hope you understood my comment was a joke. I think you did, tell me you did?
      Whew . . .

Wind Chime Girl on May 4, 2013 at 9:11 pm
    • Yeah, WCG, I did understand it was a joke…..I obviously did a very poor job of trying to expand on it to try to cheer Jennie up……sighhhh ;-)

karenlin91 on May 5, 2013 at 9:11 am
    • Hi Karen, You cheer me up with your sweet personality and you made it clear what WCG was saying and I understand her comment now and know she was kidding and wanted to lighten up our views and enjoy all the activities going on at Our Beautiful little Cottage Have a Wonderful Day!B)<3

Jennie/Florida on May 5, 2013 at 11:39 am
    • I'm 100% with you, Mel!<3<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 4, 2013 at 12:22 pm
    • Jennie, I have to agree with you and other bloggers. The wire railings are a disappointing departure from the warm, cozy feeling of the original home's classic traditional architecture. I even more dislike that medium brown hand railing. It doesn't seem to go with anything. I suppose painting it white or the grey of the shingles would be an easy fix. I don't mind the lighter tan (bloggers choice) color of the porch floors, they probably will be very good at hiding tracked in sand.B)

SID on May 3, 2013 at 9:10 pm
    • Wire upstairs is okay but not downstairs. BC is now Bird Cage!

pinevalley on May 4, 2013 at 6:30 am
    • pine valley, good one! Very good!xD:D^_^

SID on May 4, 2013 at 11:34 am
    • All my Children will love it!<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 4, 2013 at 12:23 pm
    • Kitty, my Children & the fur kids might like it too, but they probably won't love that cage as much as your parrot!<3Sandy

SID on May 4, 2013 at 2:59 pm
    • I don't think my Amazon would stay in there long.

540sam on May 4, 2013 at 4:52 pm
    • No, probably not! But then he really might enjoy wire walking! Amazons are a beautiful parrot, does yours talk? Many years ago I was lucky enough to own a cockatoo. She had quite a vocabulary. I will always miss her.

SID on May 4, 2013 at 8:50 pm
    • that's so funny, I forgot to break up the word c-oc-k a t- oo ( the type of parrot I once owned) and my post got sent to the principals office!

SID on May 4, 2013 at 8:52 pm
    • we will have to add that to our bad list LOL

vicki_in_Utah on May 5, 2013 at 8:24 am
    • 540sam, you have an Amazon? Is it a Red Lord?

Wind Chime Girl on May 4, 2013 at 9:25 pm
    • WCG, an orange wing.

540sam on May 5, 2013 at 5:18 am
    • I love parrots – I'll have to look that one up . . . Oh, WOW, what a beauty! And so big. How cool.

Wind Chime Girl on May 5, 2013 at 1:45 pm
    • LOL! You guys are sooooooooo funny! :D I made a pun about Pine Valley's post, using an interjection about "All My Children" thinking of the now defunct, but popular and long-lived soap opera on ABC. Look at how our minds scattered, subject-wise. Just GOTTA LOVE IT!!! :D Some of us wound up in the word police corner! some regaled one another with scientific aviary lore, most of us though of how our pets would survive those yucky steel rails and we probably all agree with Vicki that we need to add the word for a particular genus of beautiful birds, named co-ckat-oo or even my own co-ckat-iel to the naughty words beware list, lest we be dinged, arrested and put in the corner to mope for a while… Communication is, indeed, a funny thing!^_^xDxD:p

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 5, 2013 at 6:26 pm
    • Just goes to show, we blogers have wandering minds and cant stay focused for long.:D

540sam on May 5, 2013 at 6:46 pm
    • You know, Kitty, I try not to stray, but every now & then something grabs me.
      540sam mentioned the Amazon and I just had to ask. I'm glad straying on this blog is okay, makes it a fun place to be. I'm still laughing about the "air-drying-socks" saga. But, seriously, those orange-wing Amazons are some kind of big bird. I would love to know one of them.
      I always learn something here. What fun.

Wind Chime Girl on May 5, 2013 at 7:20 pm
    • Hi Kitty, yes our efforts to communicate are often funny, and even better sometimes it's like a hug from a friend. I have so much fun hanging out with this very unique and special group of bloggers. One of the most heartwarming things is when people take the time to reach out and explain or apologize when their quickly typed comments are misunderstood, as WCG and Jennie just did. Not only peace, but friendships are forged. Makes one wish political parties, governments and countries would make as much effort to understand each other! B)<3<3

SID on May 5, 2013 at 8:08 pm
    • AMEN to that! It amazes me how petty, childish, mean-spirited and self-centered and selfish such people can be…often leaving a trail of losses, tragedy, misunderstanding and often despair.. Communication and talking through meanings certainly are an excellent means to achieve better understanding. Truth should be the glue that holds together the final, jointly formed communique…. My good night philosophizing… Till tomorrow!B)^_^o.0<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on May 5, 2013 at 11:10 pm
    • Kitty, a big "ditto" here for you.

Wind Chime Girl on May 6, 2013 at 10:27 pm
    • SID, I'm here so sporadically that I miss a lot, I'm glad I caught your comment here as I am trying to catch up.
      I learned a long time ago that gossip and misinterpretation can lead to much heartache and bad feelings, often unresolved. I try to clear up muddles as quickly as possible. Now, with the blogs, words can be taken so differently by folks out of my teensy circle. It's mind-bloggling to me (please pardon the pun, it's in my nature and it's hard for me to temper my humor). I forget demographics & geographics, but – I'm learning. What you said about governments & countries, I can't imagine the misrepresentations and misunderstandings that come out of all that. We all have to have our humble streak and just get over ourselves. That's what I tell my cats, anyway (but not the one that holds my hand).
      My kind thoughts & love to you all, WCG

Wind Chime Girl on May 6, 2013 at 10:25 pm
    • Just on the off chance that anyone has a ?, Yes, I too have a "sweet baby" that holds my hand with both paws. No one I know has ever heard of a cat that did that, until I came here to this blog. Really cool! Mine is a 20 lb. blivet of Tomcat love. So sweet.

Wind Chime Girl on May 6, 2013 at 10:47 pm
    • SID, I had a great reply to you, but doesn't look like it will make it, I must have said a bad word. I don't know when I'll be able to get back, so I hope you will all keep it coming for when I can hit the highlights.

Wind Chime Girl on May 6, 2013 at 11:07 pm
    • HELP ! I tried to give a thumbs up AND it went DOWN . MY ERROR ! How can this be ? I hit the up thumb. It went down. I would never do that . All of you have been so helpful to me as a new blogger with this cabin. Can this be erased ? I was trying to agree with " pinevalley". Please , forgive me pinevalley and all you bloggers, please. I humbly ask . Next time ,I will just do my positive comment and not hit those things since I obviously did not understand. Asking forgiveness , and can it be changed? I am so embarrassed . Nan

Nan on May 6, 2013 at 9:02 pm
    • No problem. I had never really noticed the thumbs. I enjoy reading all opinions concerning the wires.

pinevalley on May 6, 2013 at 10:32 pm
    • Shouldn't they have done the decking before the railing ? It might be more difficult to add it with the cables in the way. I guess the owners will have to add their own screen porch unless the pergola has a roof and is screened which seems very improbable.

zulumom on May 4, 2013 at 6:44 am
    • I suspect that building code requires some type of railing on the 1st floor porch due to the elevation above the surrounding ground. As with the second floor porch, the cables seem a bit modern, but from a distance may turn out to be less noticeable than a more traditional railing. The cable system doesn't necessarily preclude screening in the porch….there is plenty of room for screen frames either in front or behind the cable system…though I kind of doubt that is the plan. The screens can be a relatively inexpensive addition that the new owner can install. At least that's what I plan to do….

RLD on May 4, 2013 at 2:50 pm
    • I agree with you……I think building code requires some type of railing on anything over 2 ft elevation…..and I've gotta say, I love the cables…. they don't really take away from the look, you don't really even see them! The brown railings upstairs are even growing on me, and I still think that they will mellow with weather. And Carl has already figured out how easy it would be to put screen sections up behind the cables, so no worries there ;-)

karenlin91 on May 4, 2013 at 3:02 pm
    • I just zoomed out and in…the cables are practically invisible from the camera's distance view. After zooming way in, I know exactly how I will construct the screen panels, probably outside of the cables. Assuming that there will be a lateral railing immediately above the cables (as with the second floor porch), I will tie a white lateral screen frame piece to the front of the railing. That will reinforce the screen panels and visually tie in to the the BC's white trim. The cables will become even less visible and keep my dog from scratching or pushing against the screens when protecting us from whatever critters amble by. Yup, that's my plan.

RLD on May 4, 2013 at 3:08 pm
    • Good plan, my dog would do the same thing to the screens, and the cat would probably try to wreck havoc with them too……outside would work better than inside ;-)

karenlin91 on May 4, 2013 at 4:31 pm
    • My Pit would probably use the cables for floss.LOL:D

540sam on May 4, 2013 at 4:54 pm
    • My rotty loves to lean he will stretch those wires to the max

zulumom on May 6, 2013 at 5:50 am
    • ^_^:DxD What a combination, a pit and an amazon! Bet they keep you busy!

SID on May 6, 2013 at 9:59 am
    • Just two more kids.:)

540sam on May 6, 2013 at 10:46 am
    • RLD, an excellent plan, I didn't see it before.
      Just an FYI, when we screened in our porch, we should have gotten all the wasps out first – somehow. Now all our screens are "beat out" after all my swatting. And it hasn't gotten any better since I swat the moths each evening, too. We tried so hard to make it hard for bugs to get in, but they WILL find a way. We are going to hang a tiny bug-zapper by the well house to draw the moths from our porch. We have the tiny lights lining the interior roofline of the porch and they tend to draw the night life. It's an ongoing battle, but not so bad after a while. Bugs are what keep us all here, it seems, just don't like the stinky and biting ones.
      Well, there's my novel for tonight.

Wind Chime Girl on May 4, 2013 at 9:35 pm
    • Did you screen the underside of the deck, often that is how they find a way in.

zulumom on May 6, 2013 at 5:51 am
    • I was wondering if anyone was ever going to mention that.

540sam on May 6, 2013 at 7:56 am
    • It's been mentione a couple of times by some. However, I believe they're using tonge & groove decking so there shouldn't be any worries about bugs sneaking up into a screened area. ;)

Clive on May 6, 2013 at 11:38 am
    • zulumom, no we didn't. Our porch decking isn't fancy, just board planks laid down. We didn't want pet hair and other debris falling in the cracks and getting stuck in there. Granted, that is where a lot of the bugs come from – below. Yuck!

Wind Chime Girl on May 6, 2013 at 2:48 pm
    • Some one blogged back awhile ago, that they thought the brown would turn gray with age. I hope so. But I am sad that there will be no screened in porch.

vicki_in_Utah on May 5, 2013 at 8:23 am
    • Nowhere have they said 'no screeded porch' and many have blogged it's easy with the cable rail system to have a screen. Have faith we'll get our screens and if not the winner can install them easily.;)

AnniesOwn on May 5, 2013 at 4:24 pm
  8. Looks like those were the kitchen cabinets I saw being delivered in flat boxes a couple of days back. They're assembling them on the bench that's to the right of the house beside the white tent partially out of sight behind the house. Maybe they are waiting before staining them to ensure the correct shade of stain? :)

Clive on May 3, 2013 at 3:13 pm
    • Clive, I saw the cabinets, thought they were primed. Then they disappeared. No stain that I saw. I'm thinking they were painted. But they didn't match any color that I saw voted on?

Wind Chime Girl on May 3, 2013 at 11:16 pm
    • WCG I don't think we voted on a color for the cabnets, just the style.

540sam on May 4, 2013 at 7:25 am
    • 540sam, I suppose I was assuming the interior color vote covered the cabinets, maybe not. Maybe that vote was just for the walls & trim. I did like the light color of the cabs, just couldn't tell exactly what the tint on them was.

Wind Chime Girl on May 4, 2013 at 11:56 am
  9. Hi all! Hope all of you are doing great! What a beautiful day at BC! Here too, 74 degrees when last week we still had snow! He-hee!

It looks like they ran an underground electric cable to the dock….anyone know? That would be way cool for evening hours on the dock! Also for safety, regarding the boats. I zoomed in to the porch and saw the wire cables from post to post instead of the traditional railings. Looks good guys! It is really coming along….you see a huge change in things when you have not been on the camera to check in a few days. Still voting on the great gifts and what fun it is! Wow-weee! Have a great weekend!

amberPA on May 3, 2013 at 5:27 pm
    • That's almost certainly a water line or a drain line. They put in underground power to the pier some weeks back. You can see the box and conduit coming from the ground on the left side of the pier near the end. ;) There's a cable running from it that powers the Cabin Cam.

Clive on May 3, 2013 at 5:44 pm
    • Thank you Clive….I thought I was wrong, but wanted someone with more insight to take a guess. It sure is looking nice, huh?! Have a great evening!^_^

amberPA on May 6, 2013 at 7:31 pm
  10. Guessing game for the weekend:

Where will the pergola go? Will it be beside the pecan trees behind the well, where the grape vines are or somewhere else?

Where will the shower go? Will it be next to the left side (as we look at it) of the house, next to the pecan trees behind the well or to the right side (as we look at it) of the pier, in front of the ditch?

Where will the fire pit go? At the bottom of the steps from the deck or somewhere else?

Have a great weekend one and all and lets spare a thought for those in MN and NE WI who are coping with this record-breaking 20 inch May snowfall. We escaped lightly with just 4 inches of sleet & rain. Stay warm and safe everyone. ^_^ Happy Cinco de Mayo and Derby Day too.:p

Clive on May 3, 2013 at 6:03 pm
    • I'll be working in the garden, but those poor people with that snow at least it won't last, then they'll have to deal with flooding. So heavy
      I was thinking that same thing ,is that the doggie place near the pecan trees certainly it would work with shade as a plus. But then the pine tree area would work.
      Will Jason be doing the yard work ?B)B)B)<3
      You got the deck done !

MaryPA on May 3, 2013 at 10:04 pm
    • We were planning on working outside. Still cold and drizzling. The snow is gone, but stilllllll.

Pecan trees? YIPPEE!!!!!! What an extra PLUS to this Blog Cabin!

Cinco means FIVE/fifth of May. So, if people are starting early on the celebrations, or just busy tomorrow…..Enjoy the day, each day!

Trish on May 4, 2013 at 8:37 am
    • Like Trish, I had not realized that there was a Pecan tree(s). Between the fishing, pecans and adding a garden I am set. As anyone already asked and answered, if you can have laying hens?

Eugenia27 on May 4, 2013 at 4:05 pm
    • Eugenia27, I don't know the local restrictions, but most places don't like the roosters. Hens seem to be okay everywhere I've ever been. You get the eggs, hens are bug eaters vs no roosters & no noise. Enough layers = happy neighbors. It's a win-win situation. But you will have to check the local code, I'm afraid.

Wind Chime Girl on May 4, 2013 at 9:44 pm
    • We are in SW Michigan….the storm missed us completely. Though some rain had been predicted, we are receiving temps in the 70's and sunshine. With the help of my son-in-law and grandson, I was able to move the boat from its' Winter storage location in the back yard to the driveway. We filled a large tub with water, put it under the prop housing and tried the motor….started up immediately! Spring has sprung.

RLD on May 4, 2013 at 7:29 pm