Apr 15

Ask the Remodeling Team

Blog Cabin 2013 Exterior April 15

It’s that time again. Post your Blog Cabin 2013 questions and we will select the very best queries and pose them to project manager Dylan Eastman and project contractor Ryan Crosser. A follow-up Q&A article will be posted in the weeks to come.

Deadline to post your questions is Monday, April 22, at 5 p.m. ET.

Ready, set … go!

• Posted at 1:24 pm on April 4, 2013

1. Thank you Mr. Eastman and Mr. Crosser for giving Us this opportunity to give you Our Wish List in a round about way! The Cottage is so beautiful and You all have rebuilt Our Cozy Little Cottage to last another Hundred years, We hope!!:) I do have a few questions:
    1) Is it possible for You to leave the Security Gate at the Entrance way for the New Homeowner since Hwy 70 is so close to the Cottage?
    2) Are there any Property markers to indicate where the property lines are around the property for the Owner?
    3) Will you install a still Camera in the Kitchen pointing toward the Living/Dining area so We dedicated Bloggers get to see a little of what's going on inside?? I promise that won't spoil any Surprises, I know We will be totally overwhelmed with the Big Reveal ^_^
    4) When the Guys cleaned out the trees and shrub, did they leave the Persimmon trees and Fruit -bearing bushes located near the water?
    5) Before taking down the Cottage were the Green Hydrangeas around the screened porch saved to be replanted in the New Landscape?
    Thank you again for giving the Bloggers a chance to let You know Some of the things that are important to Us!

Jennie/Florida on April 16, 2013 at 8:17 pm
    • To Be Continued!!!!:p

Jennie/Florida on April 17, 2013 at 3:33 pm
    • 6) Has any of the Robinson Family been by to see the Cottage? If so, did you get to speak with them and would you share their comments about the Cottage, with the Bloggers?
      7) Will you be covering the post underneath the Porch, If so, would you consider covering the Post with the same brick as the foundation has and add white lattice in between? A lattice door could be made for easy access underneath the porch? The old Cottage screened porch had lattice and was very charming, so adding Lattice under the Porch between the brick columns would also add Southern charm and keep unwanted pest out too! Just my thoughts! Thank you for caring what We Bloggers think, it means a lot to Us, also for letting us be part of the Process and this Great Adventure ^_^:)
      We are Happy BC Bloggers!

Jennie/Florida on April 18, 2013 at 12:40 am
  2. How cool is this,out of the whole country to pick a location for the BC it is a couple miles down the road.Just wondering if there is going to be a small raised building away from the house for the generator and fuel storage.

TonyE on April 16, 2013 at 9:27 pm
  3. Hi Dylan,
    Should there be a concern as to the run-off when the rainy season hits.

MaryPA on April 17, 2013 at 1:13 am
  4. How far is the closest pizza place?

Ishmael on April 17, 2013 at 4:00 am
    • And do they deliver?

karenlin91 on April 17, 2013 at 7:40 am
    • The city of Atlantic NC is only 1.5 miles north of the home, right on Hwy # 70.

Builder on April 17, 2013 at 1:15 pm
    • Not much there, maybe a seafood place. It looks like the closest pizza is in Smyrna, about 13 miles away.

Ishmael on April 17, 2013 at 1:28 pm
    • According to Google it's Crossroads Pizza, 738 US Hwy 70, Between the BC and Sea Level. should be a nice walk of about a mile or so. Great exercise before the food. ;) Maybe TonyE knows if this is still the case?

They also deliver for those more sedentary folks. ;) Has good reviews also. :p

Clive on April 17, 2013 at 1:29 pm
    • OOps, sorry, computer glitch (map didn't show properly). Crossroads Pizza & Georges (437 US Hwy 70) are near Smyrna, not Sea Level. Both have recent good reviews. :$:p

Clive on April 17, 2013 at 1:43 pm
    • A small restaurant is in Sea Level and a grill is in Atlantic.Georges Takeout in Smyrna is 25 minutes away has pizza and subs plus burgers.3-4 restaurants on Harkers Island 35 minutes away plus Cross Roads Pizza.The Driftwood on Cedar Island has killer seafood and good prime rib.

TonyE on April 17, 2013 at 3:23 pm
    • A veritable cornucopia. :) Thanks TonyE.

Clive on April 17, 2013 at 5:24 pm
    • As far as the BC's backyard- grilled pizza can be very tasty!!

Lia_M on April 17, 2013 at 8:15 pm
  5. I haven't seen any kind of chimney or vent for a fireplace between the two windows that had been reframed outside the foyer door; is there a different location planned?

Ishmael on April 17, 2013 at 4:07 am
    • Good point Ishmael, I hope it's not ventless or it would be just a fixture for most people.

540sam on April 17, 2013 at 5:57 am
    • I seem to remember that the fireplace is ventless… from the photo and description on one of the first rounds of voting…could be wrong… it's been a long and beautiful journey with this project.

BrookwoodCarolina on April 17, 2013 at 8:26 am
  6. What form of pest deterrent will there be under the porches? For those of us who have had porches, we know all manner of outdoor pests will want to move in under there.

DGustaf on April 17, 2013 at 7:58 am
  7. Lots of furniture being moved in today. A chest, a dresser, etc. are sitting on the deck. :) :)

Builder on April 17, 2013 at 8:20 am
    • And one of the trunks……not the awesome turquoise one, but maybe it's there somewhere……it was really a thrill to see some of the stuff going in. ;-)

karenlin91 on April 17, 2013 at 8:48 am
    • Hi Karen, so Good to see some of that lovely furniture on the Porch this morning!!:p<3…Anitra is probably using those pieces in her Mega Den Design…Now If each Designer does the same, the Cottage will be filled again with all the things that made it so Lovely and Charming to begin with…Soooo this is only the beginning of the good things to come..Can't wait to see all designs come together!:p<3^_^

Jennie/Florida on April 17, 2013 at 9:24 am
    • Good morning Jennie, yeah it's nice, I was tempted to do cartwheels, but restrained myself…..therefore I'll be here to watch, not in agony somewhere ;-) Have you noticed the muscadines are really leafing out…….not wishful thinking ;-)

karenlin91 on April 17, 2013 at 10:25 am
    • Good Morning Karen, Yes I look at the Vines everyday and notice more spring growth.:p I saw Anitra and Cris Grundy a few minutes ago. Where are Our little Signs on the Grape Vines??:(

Jennie/Florida on April 17, 2013 at 11:52 am
    • There are also two of the corner posts from the upstairs railing, waiting on the porch, to add charm to this magnificent home. So much activity today. :) :)

Builder on April 17, 2013 at 5:35 pm
    • I missed the posts…..I think I focused too much on the trunks ;-) It's going to be beautiful, I know ;-)

karenlin91 on April 17, 2013 at 5:54 pm
    • Thanks Builder! It is exciting to see.:D

JudyInMich on April 17, 2013 at 10:21 am
  8. What a nice opportunity to ask a question or two! Thank you, DIY! I think I've already asked most of mine, but I would love to know if the land might be fenced down the two sides (East/West) and a gate across the driveway, with some nice entrance lights at the driveway? I know, the area that faces the water would be open, but at least it should help keep creatures of all kinds from coming in from the other directions. Next, I looked at the views (really often!) from Trulia and other sites, and it seems that our little BC plat is juttiing out quite a bit into the Core Sound, and upon closer inspection, it almost looks like you could walk across to the "Outer Banks" area. Do you know how deep the water is between the two? I'm thinking that a small canoe or kayak might be the best kind of boat to have for family fun. Of course, I also thought about a houseboat… dreaming of childhood fantasies here.

BrookwoodCarolina on April 17, 2013 at 8:32 am
    • Most of Core Sound is around 6' with the channels running from 8' to 12'.There is plenty of 2-4' around the shores and creeks.There are some deeper holes around that are usually holding some trout,blues or drum.I have had some fun fishing the transition areas too.A skimmer type boat is awesome here around the banks and some run more of a Sea Ox style as Pamlico Sound can be like the ocean in an hours time or slick cam.

TonyE on April 17, 2013 at 9:11 am
    • Good report, Tony. "Trout" must be a local usage for some other saltwater fish; do you know its other name? What about fluke and flounder?

Ishmael on April 17, 2013 at 12:52 pm
    • Trout are trout, Cynoscion nebulosus. Spotted or speckled :)

Clive on April 17, 2013 at 1:22 pm
    • I see: "Contrary to its name, the spotted seatrout is not a member of the trout family (Salmonidae), but of the drum family (Sciaenidae)." They apparently don't get much farther north than the Carolinas.

Ishmael on April 17, 2013 at 1:32 pm
    • Nope Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey and at times New York when conditions are right. They usually like a little cooler water than the grays and are smaller. Sometimes called weakfish because of the soft mouth, and can easily pull a hook, but have vampire fangs,LOL right Tony. And as far as we are concerned a trout is a trout and we are too far south to call a flounder a fluke.

540sam on April 17, 2013 at 2:45 pm
    • Okay Sam, weakfish is what I was looking for – around here, the only thing called any kind of trout is a freshwater variety. And here fluke and flounder are close, but no cigar. One goes left, the other right and to confuse a little more a fluke is formally called a summer flounder and get a lot bigger.

Ishmael on April 18, 2013 at 2:38 am
    • OK fluke is a generic name given to all flatfish, flounder,halibut,sole, turbot etc, but is not species specific. Flounder is species specific and there are many different types and I think you are referring to a left eye or right eye dominant flounder. But fluke itself is a generalization and and is usually used in northern states, ie when I fish Montauk I go fluke fishing, which is a colloquialism, and a generalization of all flatfish. Summer flounder is what is generally caught from FLA to MD.

540sam on April 18, 2013 at 6:28 am
    • Holy moly–too technical for me guys! LOL! I don't ask the fish his/her name, just so we don't get too familiar with each other–I simply LOVE to relax by the water, with a line, catch 'em then let em go back and grow bigger for the next catch…not that much into eating 'em and won't at all, if they taste twangy and fishy. :D B):p Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on April 18, 2013 at 1:17 pm
    • I'm with you Kitty, but fresh fish does not taste fishey and a lot of fish is actually better if it doesn't get too big and of course if you are going to throw them back, you have to name them first. LOL:D

540sam on April 18, 2013 at 1:47 pm
    • I'll name them for you, Sam if I can use the KISS method. "Fish1, Fish 2, Fish3, etc., etc., etc. IMO, some fish are fishy whether they're fresh or not–doesn't even matter if they're well-behaved otherwise. But gimme a line, a rig, a reel, I don't care–I've made my own in my day as a kid and actually caught something with that safety pin! It's the sitting by the water, watching the millions of diamonds reflecting across the horizon from the sun, that mesmerizes me. It is so relaxing why, I don't care whether I actually catch something or not. Being there, however, is a teeny foretaste of Heaven….:)xD^_^ Kitty, fisher-woman extraordinaire. :D

DwnSoDwnEaster on April 18, 2013 at 3:50 pm
    • KISS Method, in case someone is unfamiliar = "keep it simple silly" method (that's me calling ME silly!) B) Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on April 18, 2013 at 3:52 pm
    • The McMansion next door to the north has a houseboat in addition to several other speed and fishing boats. However, their canal to the open water is currently blocked with sand (possibly from hurricane Sandy – no pun intended) and nothing can get in or out until it's dredged.

Clive on April 17, 2013 at 1:34 pm
  9. Good morning guys!! It is such a beautiful day at the BC! There are so many people there working their butts off. haha They look like they will get a lot accomplished today. I tell you I would love to be there right now sitting on the dock fishing. It is so nice, the water is calm. Oh what a lovely day to be at the BC. Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on April 17, 2013 at 8:49 am
    • Rebecca, Good morning!! I, too, would love to be sitting on the dock!!! I do believe that I saw Chris Grundy there…and there is some furniture being taken into the house..WOO-HOO~~ It looks antique to me, so maybe they did salvage some of the furniture that we've been wanting to keep??? I am getting SSOOOO very excited about this, the closer to completion!!

TishaStanley on April 17, 2013 at 10:40 am
    • I am so excited as well. I can not wait to see the episodes when they air. Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on April 17, 2013 at 6:16 pm
  10. As soon as they gave a regional location, I was using birds eye to locate the BC. Thanks for confirming what I found! Woohoo!

There appears to be an outerbuilding on the property. Or, did it have to come down like the original structure?

I did a nearby check of the shopping centers. How much time does it take to get there (water travel vs. land travel)? : )

Trish on April 17, 2013 at 10:08 am