Apr 15

Ask the Remodeling Team

Blog Cabin 2013 Exterior April 15

It’s that time again. Post your Blog Cabin 2013 questions and we will select the very best queries and pose them to project manager Dylan Eastman and project contractor Ryan Crosser. A follow-up Q&A article will be posted in the weeks to come.

Deadline to post your questions is Monday, April 22, at 5 p.m. ET.

Ready, set … go!

• Posted at 1:24 pm on April 4, 2013

1. Where is the driveway going? Will there be any type of garage/carport/storage shed?

Brittany on April 16, 2013 at 2:54 pm
    • The driveway goes out to HWY 70 ( Seashore Drive) to the right of the house. You will see the driveway that is very plain, where vehicle come into the building site. If you look at the aerial photo, you will see the entire site, and have a visual where everything is located. After the workers have all left, you will see the gate across the driveway, if you zoom into that area. Good luck.

Builder on April 16, 2013 at 5:15 pm
  2. I love the new DIY Blog 2013 house just the way it is and I think New Bern, N.C. would be a great place to retire. I hope I win this amazing home. Thanks DIY for giving us a chance!

LindaT on April 16, 2013 at 3:10 pm
  3. I cannot think of a single question to ask, all of the previous posters covered things very well! So my question is: When will you answer all of these questions, Mary?

Debra G. on April 16, 2013 at 3:18 pm
  4. I see they are putting little pins like on the posts that are on the balcony. I think they are going to put those little thin poles that go from post to post. I would love it if that is they type they are going to install. If not I am sure what ever they put will be really nice. Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on April 16, 2013 at 3:32 pm
    • The balcony will have the same features as the Loft has in the HGTV Smart
      House.

pinevalley on April 16, 2013 at 8:35 pm
  5. The house is looking beautiful! The only information that I would be curious to know right now is the home's exact location I've found the general location and it is closer to Morehead than New Bern, and I've found it on Google maps, but where, exactly? https://maps.google.com/maps?q=morehead+city+Down

paperdragon on April 16, 2013 at 3:52 pm
    • The Google map of the area is shrouded in clouds. Try the Bing maps for 448 Seashore Dr. Atlantic NC. After you locate it, you can go to Trulia or Zillow and when you zoom in you can see the property lines pretty accurately.

Ishmael on April 16, 2013 at 4:45 pm
    • Go to Bing maps. Type in 448 Seashore Drive, Atlantic NC, and it will lead you directly to the home along Hwy #70. Then you can zoom in, even do a rotational birds eye view, and look at it from every angle, and even go up and down the coast, viewing the existing neighbors, When you go north along the coast, you will see Atlantic, NC is not that far away.

Builder on April 16, 2013 at 4:59 pm
    • Oh, Thank You!!! I've never been to North Carolina, but I can now look at the surrounding areas now that I have a reference point and some information because of the Blog Cabin! Fun to learn new things! :D

paperdragon on April 16, 2013 at 6:53 pm
  6. I'm wondering if they don't put up gutters, is there a way that the water from the roof will be channeled away from the doors so you're not walking thru a waterfall to get in or out during a rain? I'm really loving watching the work and trying to figure out what's going on. And I'm really loving that there are so many people who share their knowledge. I'm learning a lot as we go, about the building and the area! Everyone has pretty much covered everything I've wondered about. My main concerns are 1) keeping the muscadines and fruit trees, 2) screens for the porch, 3) a garage or storage for lawn equipment, etc, and 4) a camera inside the house…….I want us to be able to be Builder's little mice in the corner…….we'll promise to be quite and stay out of the way! ;-)

karenlin91 on April 16, 2013 at 3:57 pm
    • OH, how could I have forgotten? Whatever furnishing, fireplace mantle, etc was left in the house, will you please use it in the new remodel? That's one of the reasons a lot of us fell in love with the house. ;-)

karenlin91 on April 16, 2013 at 4:17 pm
    • The doors are all under the porches, so there will be no water when entering, other than running from your vehicle. If it is raining, you are going to get wet. :)

Builder on April 16, 2013 at 4:54 pm
    • Not quite corect. In a rainstorm you have to pass under a waterfall to get onto the deck to access the doors. I believe that's what karenlin91 means. How does one avoid an involuntary power shower when entering the house if it's raining? I will add another part to the question. How does one avoid a deep mud puddle at the bottom of the steps? The French drain will not instantly remove water so what will be built at the base of the steps to avoid a mess.

AnniesOwn on April 16, 2013 at 5:06 pm
    • HI-FIVE AnnieOwn!!!!! Builder, I was coming to say what she just said better than I could have! Involuntary power shower covers it! ;-)

karenlin91 on April 16, 2013 at 5:30 pm
    • Usually when there are no gutters a rain channel or deflector is installed above entrances, it is nothing more than a usually 1in tall strip installed on the roof above entrances and deflects rainwater to either side.

540sam on April 16, 2013 at 5:53 pm
    • Thank you Sam, that takes care of my concern, not being a fan of involuntary power showers ;-)

karenlin91 on April 16, 2013 at 8:18 pm
  7. It has been a great pleasure to vote on the design features and choices for our dreams can come true cabin! The fellow bloggers have asked the questions that my husband and I were curious about….so we will be anxious to read the answers and see the upcoming DIY shows featuring the Blog Cabin!! Thanks to the DIY crew for keeping us informed with the virtual live cam and the wonderful history of the cabin 2013.
    May the best future neighbor win!!!

dona on April 16, 2013 at 4:31 pm
  8. What is the elevation of the property? How high has storm surge been at this site during hurricanes? How deep is the water in front out to the barrier islands and is there a channel if it is shallow?

Sue on April 16, 2013 at 5:43 pm
    • Builder replied the BC is 8' elevation.We had 11' – 12' surge 1 mile inland from Core Sound.The BC is ON Core Sound.

TonyE on April 16, 2013 at 8:48 pm
    • I think she meant the depth of the water in the sound Tony, you want to take that shallow question?LOLxD

540sam on April 17, 2013 at 6:09 am
    • I answered the 1st and the 2nd she had,didn't catch the 3rd until you pointed it out.It's probably around 2-3' right in front of the BC.If the tide runs around the point it could be deeper off shore a ways.

TonyE on April 17, 2013 at 3:13 pm
  9. Woo Hoo! They're installing tensioned wires and not the ubiquitous and IMHO horrible solid vertical balluster and rail system for the upper deck rails. Now there will be a clear, unobstructed view from the upstairs lounge (AKA Megaden :) ) and it will not look like a prison with bars. Not sure whether they listened to my pleas (every year since 2007) or that was already planned (don't much care either) but it's so good to see a move towards a style of rails that allows the owner to enjoy the fantastic views much more easily. :) :DxD^_^<3

Clive on April 16, 2013 at 5:57 pm
    • yippy!

vicki_in_Utah on April 16, 2013 at 6:18 pm
    • hooray!!!

JudyInMich on April 16, 2013 at 6:41 pm
    • That's great news. I wonder what they will use on the first floor porch?

AnniesOwn on April 16, 2013 at 9:33 pm
    • How about that? I mentioned that system a few weeks ago but thought they'd forfeit some view and go more traditional.

Ishmael on April 17, 2013 at 3:41 am
    • Looks like you finally got your wish Clive.:)

540sam on April 17, 2013 at 5:59 am
    • It is a great way to go:)

ruffybc on April 17, 2013 at 7:19 am
    • Good eye Clive!

DGustaf on April 17, 2013 at 7:55 am
    • I'm impressed, you'll barely even know the barrier is there!

karenlin91 on April 17, 2013 at 8:19 am
  10. Clive, you said just what I had been watching. Was finally able to move and see the men working. I love the wire type "rail" on the deck. Looked like the men were painting the ceiling of the porch too ! Also, I was able to move to try to see the sunset but , not able to keep going. will try another time. Love it that others have some of same questions I had asked. Anxious to hear the replies from Mr.Eastman and Mr.Crosser.
    What knowledge ! We are fortunate to get their input. Thank you for taking your time. Best to all ;) <3

Nan on April 16, 2013 at 6:34 pm