Apr 15

Ask the Remodeling Team

Blog Cabin 2013 Exterior April 15

It’s that time again. Post your Blog Cabin 2013 questions and we will select the very best queries and pose them to project manager Dylan Eastman and project contractor Ryan Crosser. A follow-up Q&A article will be posted in the weeks to come.

Deadline to post your questions is Monday, April 22, at 5 p.m. ET.

Ready, set … go!

• Posted at 1:24 pm on April 4, 2013

1. Will the cabin cam still be working when the "CRASHERS" come to finish the BC?

rsl73 on April 16, 2013 at 11:05 am
  2. Okay, I have a question! Right now there is a big ole party supply truck in the drive, and a canopy set up in front of the master bedroom porch….Are we invited to the party???????? Maybe bath crashers are there to do their thing? And maybe there will be filming going on?????? I want to be invited LOL!

karenlin91 on April 16, 2013 at 11:22 am
    • PARTY????? Yeah, We all want to be invited……!!! :) )

TishaStanley on April 16, 2013 at 12:30 pm
    • I believe the "party truck" only delivered and set up the tent.

Builder on April 16, 2013 at 5:18 pm
    • I think you're right. And that's okay, I'd rather see them doing cool stuff inside the house rather than having a party without all of us, lol ;-)

karenlin91 on April 16, 2013 at 5:32 pm
  3. Hi bloggers! Cabin looks great, thanks to everyone at DIY for the wonderful opportunity to be part of this beautiful cabin. Will any of the old beautiful and unique antiques pieces be used, like the old hand pump,( which should be left hooked up so there is always water if there is an emergency),furniture,glass, and fixtures? I'm so hoping they will be, because all those things have alot of history and makes the cabin warm and inviting, and thats what we all fell in love with.<3^_^

WE-Z on April 16, 2013 at 11:50 am
  4. Sorry, I know this thread is for questions, but the last thread has been vacated…I just want the Bloggers to know that Diy Mega Den has arrived at the Cottage..Yeah!!!! :p:)^_^

Jennie/Florida on April 16, 2013 at 11:57 am
    • Boy I was wrong! Not Bath Crashers, and no party, just a tent for Mega Den ;-) ;-)

karenlin91 on April 16, 2013 at 3:46 pm
  5. I see the MegaDens trailer is there today and a big tent is set up behind the house. Will we get any hints regarding what they are doing to transform the family room space?

Windsmurf on April 16, 2013 at 12:10 pm
  6. There is a fence in the photo. Will the property have a fence on each side? In case of a hurricanes, which is the safest room/space in the home?

RitaANewYorker on April 16, 2013 at 12:15 pm
    • A Hotel room that is 50-100 miles inland:p. I read that the house is built to withstand 130 mile per hour winds. Even so, it would be safer to move inland if something that severe is on the way, because the storm surge might be pretty high. It is built above the high water mark and so should be safe there too, but my motto is better safe than sorry. Houses can be rebuilt, people, not so much.

Windsmurf on April 16, 2013 at 1:02 pm
    • I agree, if a hurricane is coming, run, or drive like heck, many miles away. Don't try to be macho, and say you survived a hurricane. That is really dumb logic. Get out of the way, homes can be rebuilt. :) Windsmurf…very well stated. :) :)

Builder on April 16, 2013 at 1:17 pm
    • No room is safe in a hurricane. It's probably mandatory evacuation for this area if a major hurricane is set to hit it. Hurricanes give plenty of days warning so there's really no need to try to 'ride it out'.

If you're thinking of tornadoes then it's probably under the stairs or in the kitchen, both places have no direct outside walls or windows. :)

Clive on April 16, 2013 at 5:21 pm
    • Another storm problem for the BC is being isolated because there are many places where the road will be impassable because of high water. Stay safe and move inland.

pinevalley on April 16, 2013 at 8:30 pm
    • Yes, agree with all the replies to this one! There will be mandatory evacuations in case of hurricanes–just plan on driving inland and staying overnight in a nice big hotel ;=). I personally think that since the BC is a beautiful centenarian, she'll withstand the storms another hundred years with all the help that the builders and DIY have given her. On the flip side, nobody can fix it once they've made a fatal mistake just to say, 'I stayed here during this storm, or that storm etc.' because when the big storm comes and you are at sea level, the sea has nowhere else to go. You do.

BrookwoodCarolina on April 17, 2013 at 8:19 am
    • Where do you see a fence?

Builder on April 17, 2013 at 2:14 pm
    • I think she see the metal storage containers in the above photo. They do look like a fence.:)

JudyInMich on April 17, 2013 at 3:14 pm
  7. I believe the house has a well for water, is this a deep well and is the output adequate for the house to be occupied full time (baths, dishwasher, washing machine, outdoor shower (hint, hint)). What if anything is done to prevent tidal surges from entering the well if the water rises to cover the well area?

Windsmurf on April 16, 2013 at 12:15 pm
    • I am sure the well is adequate, to provide for that large family who resided in the old home.

Builder on April 16, 2013 at 1:20 pm
    • If you mean the original family, they probably didn't all takes baths every day and I am pretty sure they would not have had a dishwasher and maybe not a washing machine until more recent years. I wasn't clear if the more recent inhabitants lived there full time or used it as a vacation home, which would change the amount of water consumed.

Windsmurf on April 16, 2013 at 4:06 pm
    • They lived there full time, and increased the size of the home, as the family grew. Go back and read the history of the Robinson family.

Builder on April 16, 2013 at 4:50 pm
    • I wonder about the well capacity too. When I lived in Arkansas, with a well, I had to be really careful with water. One load of laundry, then give it a day to replenish..water garden one plant at a time, go to Aunt Wendells every once in a while for extra water. ;-) It can really matter !

karenlin91 on April 16, 2013 at 4:12 pm
    • It's extremely doubtful that a certificate of occupancy could be delivered without an adequate source of potable water.

Ishmael on April 16, 2013 at 4:41 pm
    • Great comment. Thanks When old wells do not replenish, it means they are going dry, or the sand point (which is very common in some areas), has to be driven deeper, as the ground water level recedes.

Ishmael, thanks for the help in explaining some of the questions people are asking. Keep up the good work. :)

Builder on April 16, 2013 at 4:48 pm
    • Yes, thank you Ishmael, you are one of those I have come to depend on for answers. ;-)

karenlin91 on April 16, 2013 at 5:40 pm
    • Hopefully that will be answered in my early posted question at the beginning of page one. Im pretty sure I asked all the pertinent questions on the well. In tidal flood areas well tops are sealed with rubber O rings.

540sam on April 16, 2013 at 5:59 pm
    • I have no problems with water quantity,it's just hardddd.My well is 325' deep,the well driller hit decent water at 85' and better water at 225' but it had iron rust and he went to the 300' for the good water.

TonyE on April 16, 2013 at 8:35 pm
  8. Thank you, Mr. Crooser and Mr. Eastman. The House is starting to look like a Home!!!! xD
    I would still like to know if there will be Solar Panels or at least a Generator backup for emergencys?
    What will be the Homes Hurricane Ratings? With all the weather going crazy will the winner withstand the storms and .time? =/ And will there be Power and Water ran to the dock??? :D
    Thank you kindly, Frank Sandlin.

asandmancan on April 16, 2013 at 12:28 pm
    • A Kohler generator was delivered several weeks ago.

Builder on April 16, 2013 at 1:19 pm
    • Thank you Bilder.
      That would be good. Kohler is a good Beand. Is it a Gas or Propane? I'm gessing that sized house will need about a 50 kW or are they doing the minimum capacity to get by?

asandmancan on April 16, 2013 at 2:18 pm
  9. It would be Great if Anitra from Mega Dens would leave We Bloggers a Sign on the Grape Vine !!!:p;)^_^;)

Jennie/Florida on April 16, 2013 at 12:54 pm
    • Yes it would……….I find myself really missing the signs….:-)

karenlin91 on April 16, 2013 at 3:48 pm
    • I know Jennie, when I saw the trailer thats the first thing I looked for.

540sam on April 16, 2013 at 6:13 pm
    • I think I saw a woman on the dock, this morning, but when i tried to zoom in, the camera went red.

vicki_in_Utah on April 16, 2013 at 6:17 pm
  10. The blog cabin looks fantastic. Was wondering if anything is to be done where the old grapes are growing and are you going to keep the daffadills that are growing under the swings. Its been fun watching the area cahnge everyday but would like some things to stay the same.

margaret on April 16, 2013 at 2:18 pm