Apr 15

Ask the Remodeling Team

Blog Cabin 2013 Exterior April 15

It’s that time again. Post your Blog Cabin 2013 questions and we will select the very best queries and pose them to project manager Dylan Eastman and project contractor Ryan Crosser. A follow-up Q&A article will be posted in the weeks to come.

Deadline to post your questions is Monday, April 22, at 5 p.m. ET.

Ready, set … go!

• Posted at 1:24 pm on April 4, 2013

1. I am wondering where the outdoor shower is going.

UOwinner on April 15, 2013 at 9:36 pm
    • I am too. I would have wanted it on the deck in the niche to the left of the mudroom door, but there's no plumbing showing there or anywhere else along the west side of the house according to the picture with this blog. It doesn't seem practical to have it on the side of the house facing the road. Maybe it will be freestanding or part of that storage building that everybody (but DIY) expects to see.

Ishmael on April 17, 2013 at 3:50 am
    • If that's not plumbing stuff coming out of the foundation, what is it? That side is where all the plumbing is, seems logical to put it there..'-)

karenlin91 on April 17, 2013 at 7:42 am
    • It sure does seem logical to put it there but generally the piping would come through the wall at the height of the mixing valve rather than through a crawl space with limited access. We'll have to see what they do. If the shower does get placed along that side wall a small set of stairs at that end of the deck is definitely needed.

Ishmael on April 17, 2013 at 12:23 pm
    • If you're looking at the house from the water the shower will be along the left side, basicly beside the mudroom. running from the length of the powder room to nearly the end of the laundry room.

CorruptMind on April 25, 2013 at 6:54 pm
  2. Will there be any roof or cover on the end of the pier?

AnniesOwn on April 15, 2013 at 9:53 pm
    • I was wondering that too AnniesOwn, the one next to the BC has one. That would be nice.

vicki_in_Utah on April 16, 2013 at 9:29 am
  3. Will the new landscaping include native plants? Less maintenance and better resistance to pests, IMHO.

Lia_M on April 15, 2013 at 10:09 pm
  4. As far as a third bedroom….didn't I read something about a Murphy's bed being put in the media room? And like a previous blogger said, there is plenty of room for a sofa bed or two. I also wonder if there will be a garage or somewhere to keep cars, a riding lawn mower, gardening supplies, etc. The house is beautiful! What an amazing job so far! :-)

jamie061363 on April 15, 2013 at 10:14 pm
  5. Will any of the items, furniture, fixtures, decorations, history and the outdoor water pump be kept with the cabin? Also will there be any energy efficient products or designs? An amazing fishing, sun rise watching and beach retreat is being built by DIY!!! Excellent Work. Fish on…….in North Carolina.

mkro19 on April 15, 2013 at 10:38 pm
    • Some of the items from the cabin have been put back in…

TishaStanley on April 18, 2013 at 6:38 am
    • The water pump (if not functional) would be a wonderful feature in one of the planting beds. It should be used in some area of the property. You are so right, retaining as much of the history (furnishings) as possible will only add to the charm.

Bobbie on April 28, 2013 at 10:36 am
    • The hand pump is going to be included into the outdor shower as a foot wash / dog bowl filler.

AnniesOwn on April 28, 2013 at 5:31 pm
  6. DIY Team, You have done a wonderful job reconstructing this "Jewel of the beach". I am wondering about 1) secure outside storage for lawn furniture, mower, tools. 2) fish cleaning center, 3) I think there is central heat / air conditioning, but I'm not sure, and 4) Are you planning (Please) on using some of the antiques that were in the house prior to the redo in the new home? What challenges you have all encountered! Despite these, Nice Job!!! :) <3

bythebaydreamer on April 16, 2013 at 1:36 am
  7. I've been looking on the camera and the house is certainly picturesque! I know I saw somewhere that the Pake bricks and original tree stumps were used in the building of the original house. Was there any other objects unearthed while digging? I enjoyed the video which gave some history and background on the house. One of the eyeopeners on the original house were the boards on the gravity-defying stairs. Are the boards able to be re-purposed and is there plans to put the boards back into the house in some manner? Also if I recall right from the video, the Robinson family used to fish – is there going to be a place on or near the pier where you can put a boat, kyaak, etc? Is the sea grass on the beach going to be trimmed back, etc.? Also personally, what is your personal favorite moment or story or aspect of the home while working on it?

icette on April 16, 2013 at 3:58 am
  8. Good morning bloggers, contractors, and the entire DIY team. The house is looking great and the job is progressing nicely, kudos to the crew and thank you for all the insight.

Jimbo on April 16, 2013 at 4:29 am
  9. Good morning Friends!! My hubby wants to know how close is the house to the water…he insists that it's going to flood with high tide… not the kind of flood that would ruin this lovely home, but high tide as in not being able to get out til the tide goes back. He and I talked about this and I don't think the tide is something to worry much about, I have complete faith in your abilities to make this home Very safe! He still wants to win it, though…but then WE ALL DO!!!!

TishaStanley on April 16, 2013 at 7:27 am
    • Tide fluctuation is minimal in the Sound. Not an issue. Have your husband look at (http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/tide.cgi?tide=2712) for current tide information. He will see that tide variation is in the 1' range….nothing like the 6' to 9' tides experienced in the estuaries. The Outer Banks naturally restrict the tides.

RLD on April 16, 2013 at 7:44 am
    • The house is 8' above sea level. Tides will have no affect.

Builder on April 16, 2013 at 8:49 am
    • Thank you, Builder and RLD. I will give my husband that information then maybe he will relax a bit…

TishaStanley on April 16, 2013 at 12:33 pm
    • 8' is not high enough.Isabel and Irene were 11' storm surge 1 mile inland from Core Sound.

TonyE on April 16, 2013 at 8:00 pm
    • I hear ya, Tony! I also Know you LIVE THERE, so you are speaking from personal experience. Under normal weather and moon phase circumstance, one need not be concerned with tides there, but I agree with you. I remember Isabel and Irene packed more water than expected, which resulted in higher water/storm surge wherever those storms hit. We saw that here in SE VA. On the good side, one can move things upstairs, when high tides threaten, to protect valuables, but 8' ft may not be sufficient, during a direct hit–all depends on how many inches of rain plus force of storm surge. Sorry folks–just the facts–always be prepared, as weather is just not an exact science.^_^<3<3<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on April 16, 2013 at 8:44 pm
    • DIY already said they raised the house higher than the mandated height per the building regulations for this coast. Alicia, who lived there, said the highest ever hurricane flood came to just below the bottom of the1st floor windows when the house was at ground level. DIY built up the ground and raised the house so that the floor is now higher than the bottom of the original windows. Thus, the house is now higher than the highest flood ever at this site. Whether that's high enough only time will tell.:)

AnniesOwn on April 16, 2013 at 9:25 pm
    • You're right on, Annie! My greatest concern is that people don't take weather history for granted. I lived through hurricane Camille and an unprecedented flood in Jackson MS. In fact that 7.8 ft. of water that submerged my home for 8 days was in a "non-flood" zone–then they called the flood, for lack of a better name, "a thousand year flood." I don't think Jackson kept records that far back…. :) My point is, time and weather change patterns just need to be observed with wisdom. With hurricane Camille, an apartment complex held a huge hurricane party. 100% of attendees perished and the complex was leveled. I'm just an ol' great grandma who doesn't want anyone to miss any signs, which may protect them from loss or personal harm. Yeah, I know, I harp on this a lot–probably because I've been through it and I'm certain others on our Blog have too, but it seems cycles are pointing to more active Atlantic storms. Better to be safe than sorry…Thanks for writing, Annie! :D ^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on April 16, 2013 at 10:02 pm
  10. This is a request more than a comment and really not that difficult, but could you flare out the bottom of the steps to the foyer entrance and the waterside entrance. I think it gives a really classy look. Just my opinion.

540sam on April 16, 2013 at 7:28 am
    • Coastal cottages are simple structures with straight lines and little ornamentation. The roof lines by the upper deck have already been modified to make them more simple than they were originally framed. Anything other than straight steps would be out of character for this house.

Ishmael on April 16, 2013 at 4:34 pm
    • Trust me Ishmael in my 70 some years i've stayed in perhaps a thousand coastal cottages and hate to count the ones i've seen, some with straight steps, some flared, some heavily ornamented, some plain, thats your opinion and why they make hotdogs and hamburgers. There is no template. This is supposed to be a Q&A blog for the build team.

540sam on April 16, 2013 at 5:08 pm
    • Ditto, 540 Sam! I think the front entrance needs to be more grand-looking too! Just think about those evenings when the ol' folks are inside the screened porch and the youngsters are sitting on the steps, talking about life's possibilities! And think of how much more classic it will look from the pier when you're walking up to your home. I really think that nice, wide curved stone steps would be gorgeous. They would hold up to the weather too!

BrookwoodCarolina on April 17, 2013 at 7:54 am
    • I was just trying to keep it simple for the build team Brook, the flair would break up the straight lines and gives an inviting welcome statement and also separate the entrance of the foyer and master bedroom since they are so close together. Not a conflict, who wants to see everything straight? I sure hope they dont fill the cabin with square furniture. You got to have imagination.

540sam on April 17, 2013 at 3:08 pm
    • If the flared look would not go with the cottage lines, perhaps making the stairways very wide would have the same effect of dramatizing the entrances without conflicting with the other straight line design elements.

Windsmurf on April 17, 2013 at 9:05 am
    • I'm all for wide steps in front of the double doors as long as they don't get so wide that the building code requires a center handrail. Friends in NJ planned similar wide steps from their deck but discovered if the width exceeded eight feet (I think) they were required to put in the center rail as well as one on each side. More and more states are using a national code.

Ishmael on April 17, 2013 at 12:39 pm
    • I like the idea of wide steps……maybe 7.5' ;-)

karenlin91 on April 17, 2013 at 12:50 pm