Apr 15

Ask the Remodeling Team

Blog Cabin 2013 Exterior April 15

It’s that time again. Post your Blog Cabin 2013 questions and we will select the very best queries and pose them to project manager Dylan Eastman and project contractor Ryan Crosser. A follow-up Q&A article will be posted in the weeks to come.

Deadline to post your questions is Monday, April 22, at 5 p.m. ET.

Ready, set … go!

• Posted at 1:24 pm on April 4, 2013

1. Are there plans to install insect screens on any of the three porches?

Clive on April 15, 2013 at 3:31 pm
    • I was wondering about that too, Clive.

JudyInMich on April 16, 2013 at 6:23 pm
    • Yes! I have asked that question from the beginning and would really like to see that happen. The original house had screens-it is a must in this area.

ruffybc on April 17, 2013 at 7:16 am
    • Clive I love your question. :)
      I have no hope of the front porch being screened now , seeing today the ultra-modern looking guardrail cables installed on the Mega Dens porch. The clash is jarring to the open country porch below ! A screened in porch with those wire cables……..I just can't see it!

Mel on April 18, 2013 at 10:01 am
    • Hi Mel, I'm with you on the guardrails..I would paint the post White to soften the look and add something Nautical or Beachy in front of the cable wires or even take the wires out..Too many mixed colors that don't complement one another. I think it looks too Modern for rest of the Cottage especially the front porch and the old Cottage look.The wire looks out of place..too many different elements…
      Glass would have been a better option.That is something for the Winner to decide for little Cottage Balcony! ^_^ I knew that was the guardrail Clive has been wanting because He didn't want anything to get in the way of his "View" while sitting in his lounger.LOL:p:)B)<3 He won!!!

Jennie/Florida on April 18, 2013 at 1:38 pm
    • I'm pretty sure the brown posts were picked to match the decking. Sometimes you just have to live with the "People's Choice"; the real question is why was that one of the choices?

Ishmael on April 18, 2013 at 8:14 pm
    • Hi Ishmael, that is a good question!!! That color wouldn't have been on my list of colors and I didn't vote for the brown decking, I don't think brown and gray colors compliment one another! The Gray decking would have looked so much better with this Cottage, I think and "accent colors" of brown could have been added later if the Winner wanted to add brown color. I would also paint the brown post white and Add Nautical or Beachy accents to that modern industrial wire!:) and maybe try to paint the wire white or add rope to the wire area.o.0:)^_^ Brown is one of my Very favorite colors, but not on this Balcony or Cottage Porch..That's just me and I'm sure others like the brown and that is fine because we are all individuals with different taste..^_^

Jennie/Florida on April 18, 2013 at 11:40 pm
    • Hi Jennie the only 2 color choices for decking were sand and cobblestone and the cobblestone color was close to the siding color and would look like you tried to match it but missed. I'm like you i'd either paint the post or wrap them in Reynolds wrap or something.:D

540sam on April 19, 2013 at 5:21 am
    • Good Morning Sam, I just checked the two colors of decking again and I can't see where the "Cobblestone" is anywhere near the siding color…The Siding is very light gray and even appears to be light green in the bright sunlight with all the greenery around to reflect on the Cottage, also is Still very light gray even when it rains..LOL..
      Please take off your Sun glasses "my dear blogging friend," when You are looking at the Cobblestone sample and You will see that it's a light Slate gray and no where close to the very light siding color..I think if the Cobblestone had been chosen by the voters, they wouldn't have used the Rusty brown colored post o.0..They would have used something more compatible with the Cobblestone, the siding and roof shingles..Just My Thoughts Sam B)^_^ Have a Good Day! I hope the rain has stopped when they start to film so We get a chance to see Who is there…Maybe they will give Us a Wave!!!:p

Jennie/Florida on April 20, 2013 at 11:15 am
    • The brown composite decking will eventually shade to a lighter, grayish color. This is normal with all composite decking, and you will be surprised how good it will match after the first season. I have installed lots of composite decking, and all the colors will shade lighter with time. Do not give up the ship just yet.

Builder on April 19, 2013 at 8:10 pm
    • sitting on the porch in the evening will be impossible without screens..hope they reconsider and add them

Sue on April 27, 2013 at 5:12 pm
  2. Why did you decide on the underground drain system around the Cabin and not install guttering?

Clive on April 15, 2013 at 3:32 pm
  3. Since this is an out of the way place, will there be help with electric like a generator? What about the
    "panels" that can be used to generate electric. Not correctly stated,sorry. They are usually on the roof . Is it too late for this at this stage of the construction? Will there be "tanks" to hold the sewage, since this seems to be a low area and so close to the water. Just concerened about Clean drinking water. I know this has been researched and will only be the safest possible for the new owner. DIY always builds the best, I know. Thank you to all for giving someone a chance to win a wonderful place to live. ;) <3

Nan on April 15, 2013 at 3:35 pm
  4. Where is the main Road and how does the driveway come in and does it go beside the house on the foyer side, or to the double door on the water side, or ot both ? Thank you for giving us this chance to ask.

Nan on April 15, 2013 at 3:42 pm
  5. I was going through the photos of the original house and there are so many unique and beautiful pieces.Are you planning on using a lot of the original furniture and accessories. This house has so much charm it would be a shame not to.The antiques furniture ,quilts ,glass and so much more I just fell in love with the home it has so much warmth.

murquag on April 15, 2013 at 3:44 pm
    • Ditto!!! :)

Lia_M on April 16, 2013 at 8:46 pm
  6. Is it too late to install rain gutters–or does that happen much later? What about the possibility of a rain barrel? This home is absolutely beautiful, and I love the way it's taking shape, I guess I just would want to be able to water plants without using too much water…does that make sense?

TishaStanley on April 15, 2013 at 4:54 pm
    • Another name for a rain barrel is a…mosquito factory. No thanks.

Ishmael on April 16, 2013 at 4:30 am
    • Oh, @#$% and blast! I love the idea of a rain barrel and being able to use the water for plants, but you are right about the mosquito factory! I hadn't thought of that, even as I check my yard for standing water….;-)

karenlin91 on April 16, 2013 at 6:49 am
    • Rain barrels can be covered, I don't like the idea of mosquitos, either, but would like to be able to water plants that are outside….Is there a better solution than a rain barrel? Skin so soft by Avon keeps them away…also bounce dryer sheets will do the same thing…

TishaStanley on April 16, 2013 at 7:20 am
    • You are right about covers, and with the garden I would like to plant, the water probably wouldn't stand long enough to make mosquitos ;-) It could be made to work.

karenlin91 on April 16, 2013 at 3:37 pm
  7. Hi DIY And crew!

Mr. Crosser, how big is the actual lot and property? Also, what has been the biggest obstacle on the job thus far? I know that when you are working with an older home, sometimes things crop up unexpectedly! Any huge surprises? Any found objects of interest from the original build under the foundation or in the surrounding area? Sorry for all the curiosities! He-hee!^_^

amberPA on April 15, 2013 at 7:29 pm
  8. Will there be a closet under the stairs next to the foyer? There does not appear to be very many storage options. Thanks so much for letting me watch the progress, I am sure everyone else has as well. Tell the contractor I would like to have that wonderful Lab!

Darlene on April 15, 2013 at 8:14 pm
    • The lab can use a few laps around the premises. I hope my dogs don't get that healthy when we move into the house. lol. It's very sweet to see how joyful it was to be out there and accompany daddy to work.

havanera on April 17, 2013 at 12:30 am
  9. I can't really think of any questions at the moment but I did want the DIY Design Team to know that I love the entire layout of the house. It is so beautiful and the pillars are very nice as well. I really gives that country feel to the home. Maybe I will think of something and get back online a bit later. Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on April 15, 2013 at 8:26 pm
  10. I notice in some of the drawings there are no railings on the outside stairs and in others there are-will there be handrailings? How about on the upstairs porch? Will there be any on the downstairs porch? Could you offer us an outside ceiling fan or two on the porch- I understand that running a fan keeps bugs away from that area. I don't understand the fuss about a third bedroom-it clearly shows that the upstairs family area has room for a pull out sofa or two if needed. The bedrooms will just be used for sleeping-most of the time will be spent outdoors enjoying the beautiful weather, sand & water! Even evenings before bedtime will be out on the porches or around the firepit. I do agree that if some of the homes original furnishings could be used in the decorating that would be charming. It is a wonderful home – another great job by the whole gang.

Jean & Jim on April 15, 2013 at 9:14 pm