Apr 15

Ask the Remodeling Team

Blog Cabin 2013 Exterior April 15

It’s that time again. Post your Blog Cabin 2013 questions and we will select the very best queries and pose them to project manager Dylan Eastman and project contractor Ryan Crosser. A follow-up Q&A article will be posted in the weeks to come.

Deadline to post your questions is Monday, April 22, at 5 p.m. ET.

Ready, set … go!

• Posted at 1:24 pm on April 4, 2013

1. Is there a boat ramp on the property or is there one nearby?

Tena on April 18, 2013 at 3:28 pm
    • Tina you will have to ask TonyE when he's on, he lives in Sea Level just about a few miles from the BC. Sometime back I think there were two in Atlantic, I dont know about now.

540sam on April 18, 2013 at 8:18 pm
    • There's a Wildlife ramp at the high rise bridge in Sea Level and another ramp at the ferry at Cedar Island.There's some private ramps in every community.There is also a ramp at Cedar Creek Campground a mile or so from the BC.

TonyE on April 19, 2013 at 12:35 am
    • Hey Tony, while your on, any speculation on why the next door neighbor ran both sides of his jetty equal distances instead of leaving the tide side shorter so that it could self dredge?

540sam on April 19, 2013 at 4:33 am
    • Not sure,looks like they would have been better to just place it on the East side would have been better.

TonyE on April 19, 2013 at 6:32 pm
    • Did you see the size of the boat? Or, is it a yach?. It is hidden by the trees using the birds eye view on the map feature. Not that I'm snoopy or anything. I've been trying to understand what the neighbor's building is.

Our neighbors around keep an eye out for each other. Are they like this here?

Trish on April 20, 2013 at 1:40 pm
    • It's a houseboat. :)

AnniesOwn on April 20, 2013 at 11:10 pm
  2. I do not care for the upper porch railing. A nice traditional picket and X wood railing would be prettier. I think (i know others might not agree) that cable or glass do not fit in the style of that humble cottage.

zulumom on April 18, 2013 at 4:46 pm
    • Zulumom I agree with you on not liking the upper porch railing. It's a design fail for me.
      I wonder if you could wrap those wire cables with nautical rope? Maybe get really fancy and tie some matching nautical knots and space them out throughout the railing design.

Mel on April 18, 2013 at 5:47 pm
    • Sounds like a great idea, Mel. Now just have to get a "sailor" that knows how to do that. Guess a book would show how, but would give me a reason to invite someone to visit, and maybe get more info. about the water. Notice I said me! Would love to be the winner as so many others would too! ;) <3 Dreaming keeps some of us going. Thank you DIY for all of this and I know the cabin will be great. ;) ;) Best to all ;) <3

Nan on April 19, 2013 at 10:29 am
  3. How is the swimming in the sound? Is the bottom muddy or sandy?

zulumom on April 18, 2013 at 4:47 pm
    • Sandy, except where it's muddy or rocky. ;) Being shallow water with little in the way of tides it should be warm enough to swim comfortably from June to October.

AnniesOwn on April 18, 2013 at 9:32 pm
    • Re swimming…..great, alligators and sharks swim in the sound all the time! Just kidding….though bull sharks have been reported in the blogs and there is an alligator preserve several miles to the North.

RLD on April 19, 2013 at 7:35 pm
  4. For those who do not like the cable tension system on the balcony, please go into one of the many tension cable deck railing websites. They show lots of uses and photos of different applications. You might have to go into a couple different sites, to see some that match those used here. My personal opinion of them is……. they look real attractive after they are completely tight, and they can be tightened to 1000 pounds of tension. The one website shows them being used with the brown posts, like those used on the balcony. I know some folks do not agree, but that is my own person opinion. Enjoy :) :)

Builder on April 18, 2013 at 7:04 pm
    • Thanks Builder for the info.
      I do like cable wire railings on the right home, and agree with you that it can be very attractive!
      It shines best on a home reflecting modern design and clean architectural lines , not so much on a farmhouse design with a big covered front porch….
      I never love every single detail of the BC's, but I do overwhelming love most of them!
      I believe BC blogging serves a bigger picture of gathering marketing info, and consumer likes and dislikes. In order to keep the BC concept viable I would hope DIY wants us to be honest with them and voice our honest opinions tactfully and not always espouse that every decision they make is flawless.

Mel on April 18, 2013 at 7:47 pm
  5. When will the new cabin building start and when will the show start? How do you enter to win? What is the weather like there, and are there hurricanes?

Marguerite G. Silva on April 19, 2013 at 1:54 am
    • 1) probably 3/4 done already. 2) Summer. 3) Can't enter yet….Summer, stay tuned for specific entry details. 4) Warm / hot & humid in the Summer, but benefits from ocean breezes, more temperate in the Spring & Fall, cool in the Winter (as opposed to cold in Michigan). 5). Yes, the entire East coast is subject to occasional hurricanes.

RLD on April 19, 2013 at 7:26 pm
    • Virtual Tour begins July 16th and Entries begin July 29th.

nanaofsix on April 21, 2013 at 2:07 pm
  6. I have seen items to choose for the Blog Cabin 2013, but I haven't seen an entry form to try and win this wonderful cabin. When will the entry form become available?

Constance on April 19, 2013 at 6:39 am
    • i believe it will be at the end of July.

JudyInMich on April 19, 2013 at 3:29 pm
    • It has been going on since the voting began I believe. I have been entering every day for quite some time. The entries stop on May 16th @ 5pm EDST. The entry form is right below the voting area.
      Any way….I hope this helps.

nanaofsix on April 21, 2013 at 2:14 pm
    • Hi nana, We are voting on the Bedroom Cabin Comforts now and this voting ends on May 1st or 2nd and then we have one more Cabin Comfort's to vote on and that ends the 16th of May…If you keep checking "People's Choice" above in the header, you will know when they change. If you go to "Main" in the header above, it gives you more information on the Sweepstakes…I hope this helps:)

Jennie/Florida on April 21, 2013 at 2:40 pm
  7. Any chance of that ever elusive 'zip line' being installed from the upper deck to the pier? ;)
    I figure that if we ask every year, eventually, we'll get it. ^_^

Clive on April 19, 2013 at 5:03 pm
    • Hi Clive, you don't give up on that Zip line, do you LOL…You know just maybe one of these days Diy will choose a Special place overlooking a Nice Lake, like the 2008 BC and the Zip line will be one of their Special Projects!! The only problem with that is, by the time they finally decide to do this, We will be Too Old to get on the Darn Zip line for a Ride!!!o.0;)^_^ Wheeee!!! Yeah, Oh Help!!!! o.0^_^

Jennie/Florida on April 19, 2013 at 10:04 pm
  8. With all that wood framing and an elevated porch, is any of the framing non-wood to help prevent termite damage, or is their a termite prevention system incorporated? And how to keep critters out from under the front porch?

Leah on April 19, 2013 at 7:21 pm
    • The support posts are pressure treated wood, and the porch deck will be composite, brown in color. Both will last a lifetime.

Builder on April 19, 2013 at 7:53 pm
  9. I have only three questions;
    1. Will the blog cabin have a screened in porch, as I've heard the bugs can get bad in the warmer months?
    2. Will there be a shed or garage to store all the outdoor and lawn equipment especially during a storm?
    3. Is it possible to have an extendable shower head in the outdoor shower so we can bathe our animals?

Thank you. Love the BC.

JudyInMich on April 20, 2013 at 8:33 am
  10. Have you seen the "rail" on top of the cable this morning? It will probably be painted when finished . Working hard on Sat AM.They always do a great job.The weather has had a big change there just as we have inPA. Looking forward to seeing the completed Cabin. ;) <3 Best to all ;) <3

Nan on April 20, 2013 at 10:01 am