Apr 15

Ask the Remodeling Team

Blog Cabin 2013 Exterior April 15

It’s that time again. Post your Blog Cabin 2013 questions and we will select the very best queries and pose them to project manager Dylan Eastman and project contractor Ryan Crosser. A follow-up Q&A article will be posted in the weeks to come.

Deadline to post your questions is Monday, April 22, at 5 p.m. ET.

Ready, set … go!

• Posted at 1:24 pm on April 4, 2013

1. Will there be a garage or carport? With this size lot I would think a storage shed would be needed for mowers & tools etc. Are there plans for something like this? How exactly did you hurricane proof the house?

Dawn on April 18, 2013 at 6:25 am
    • Go back to previous threads, and you will see all the hurricane things they did with the home. Extra clips, tie down straps, long rods from the peak of the house, all the way to the foundation, etc.

Builder on April 18, 2013 at 9:18 am
    • Hi Buillder ! Are you associated wiyh the DIY team or a builder on your own ? I thought you were just a generous person sharing you knowledge with the bloggers. ;)

Nan on April 18, 2013 at 10:58 am
    • Dawn, the only way to hurricane proof a house is to build it where there are no hurricanes, however the BC is very well constructed to withstand some pretty sizable storms, you can go back through the build process. As far as garages and carports, I hope not, I can just see the cost of the BC going up and up. A shed for a riding mower and tools would suffice for me.

540sam on April 19, 2013 at 6:16 am
  2. Good morning, Everybody…it's a beautiful day at the cabin, I hope the camera doesn't start panning again today, I may come up with more questions….

TishaStanley on April 18, 2013 at 6:40 am
  3. I see MEGA DENS at the BC today!! It will be a beautiful day on the Crystal Coast, partly cloudy mid 70's! Have a blessed Thursday everyone!

rsl73 on April 18, 2013 at 7:13 am
  4. I love the architectural design and symmetry the porch off of the Mega Dens space adds to this home, BUT…the cable wire railings are a complete design miss for me. The look they give the home is markedly modern, and industrial. The exterior design of this home is overwhelmingly farmhouse coastal…the wire cables clash with the rest of the exterior design! Sorry DIY, designers, but if I won this home I would try to Wrap Those Guardrail Cables With Nautical Rope!
    I do appreciate that they don't impair the beautiful view. I have dozens of relatives living along the coast of NC, for decks and balconies they used hurricane proof and tinted glass panels. They in no way distract from a great view. That look would have blended much better with the exterior architectural design of this coastal farmhouse in this bloggers opinion.

Mel on April 18, 2013 at 9:00 am
    • I thought maybe if they painted the post white it might look less industrial and not as noticeable.

rsl73 on April 18, 2013 at 10:13 am
    • I had thought of the glass, but then thought of having to clean it, and glass does get scratched eventually. The cables are virtually invisible, would need very little to no upkeep. There is nothing wrong, imo, with mixing styles and using what works best. My only thing is I hope they don't leave the posts dark. ;-)

karenlin91 on April 18, 2013 at 10:40 am
    • Karenlin, your suggestion would even work for me–paint the posts white and leave the metal cables. I can bend with the breeze. Only thing I really NEED, still is a top banister all the way around to hold or lean onto. I'm afraid any older individual or a child will find that having a cross rail is necessary and helpful for balance and to prevent one from tipping over the metal cables and falling. Safety foremost. But your suggestion would work for me, if they would add that much needed bannister. I'm unsteady often, when standing . Thanks!!! : *:D^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on April 18, 2013 at 1:04 pm
    • I think that maybe that top railing is going to happen for you(at least I hope so) and how about wrapping the brown post with rope for the nautical feel? It would be a cheap solution.

540sam on April 18, 2013 at 8:30 pm
    • Sam, I sure wish, but I'm not so sure about that OR about the painting of those unharmoneous brown posts, based upon Builder's latest input. Unfortunately, this is one very disagreeable thing to me–and a major safety as well as visual clash. I also didn't happen to vote for the brown based floor for the porch! What won was//is quite attractive–just NOT for a gray house, if one is going by a color wheel, as a designer. Sigh… win some, loose some..and it all comes out in the wash, uh?! Have a nice weekend!:)^_^ Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on April 18, 2013 at 9:37 pm
    • At this point he can only guess like the rest of us, but that's half of the fun of it. I just can't see putting your hands on and leaning on cables. If they don't paint or wrap the poles it would be a cheap thing to rectify for the winner.

540sam on April 19, 2013 at 4:12 am
    • Karenlin I wonder if DIY went with the cables due to cost savings.
      One of my relatives built his dream beach home on one of the islands along the NC coast, it's a 10,000 plus SF beauty. He has a private pier that goes into the Atlantic. All of his decks, balconies and private pier are lined with tinted hurricane proof glass. He built his home in the late 90's and told me & my hubby each panel cost $500.00 at the time of the build. I can report to the blog those panels look as nice today as they did at their installation. The glaze on them that keeps them from radiating heat also allows the salt in the air to wash off of them easily with rain. They are costly, but they look really nice and are low maintenance.

Mel on April 18, 2013 at 1:53 pm
    • ? <DIV>Whew!! It sounds like the glass would be good, but that's a lot of money that could be spent on something else…(screens, maybe) lol</DIV> <DIV style=”FONT: 10pt arial”>

karenlin91 on April 18, 2013 at 3:08 pm
    • I agree Mel glass would have been nicer and would have been costlier, but you have to keep in mind that $1 spent on the BC the winner will have to pay at least 40% in taxes.So for a simple thing like that, say 10 panels= $5000 is at least another $2000 in taxes to be paid by the winner. Maybe that was on their mind. I know it's on mine. A thousand here and there, results in most people not being able to keep their dream cabin.

540sam on April 18, 2013 at 3:20 pm
    • Keeping down cost is a very logical argument to nix a glass alternative to the cable railings. Thanks for the input on this topic. Any chance you are related to our country's Uncle?
      You did bring up the tax point rather well, Sam!

Mel on April 18, 2013 at 5:35 pm
    • Related to Uncle Sam?……Only in age Mel….only in age. LOLxD

540sam on April 18, 2013 at 5:44 pm
    • LOL Sam !
      Minnow how you feel. Getting older can be a beach, I was whale rather great at being young!

Mel on April 18, 2013 at 6:03 pm
    • Clive is the one with the tax stuff and rates.

540sam on April 19, 2013 at 4:15 am
    • Mel, Hello! I'm in there with you 100%. I'm afraid the cable wire looks totally out of place for this house design and is a disappointment for me. The rails in brownish color are also a distraction, IMHO. I can see using nautical rope or hurricane-proof tinted glass and even traditional farm house style white railings that are germane to the core design of this structure. Sorry DIY: This is a stumble. Quick and dirty fix: replace wire with nautical rope–after installing and painting white top rail and those reddish brown things. Sorry guys! Good news–it's a simple, cheap fix!B);)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on April 18, 2013 at 10:49 am
    • Howdy Kitty!
      Seeing the cable wire railings today ( I haven't been on the blog in several days) dashed my hopes of a screened in front porch. This isn't a mix of styles for me, it's a clash. Guardrail cables are beautiful on modern design, and homes with clean lines. This home has multiple gables….

Us folks that live in NC have a running joke regarding what happened to the Lost Colony of Roanoke Island ……..believing they were carried off by mosquitoes. One trip to the OBX in summer and you will get the punchline :)
      Can a home have a very modern balcony finish on an upper floor and a screened in farmhouse style porch on the first one?

Mel on April 18, 2013 at 1:39 pm
    • Why not? Think of them both as purpose driven, best solutions for the space. Think of sitting up in the den, doing whatever, and being able to look up and see that wonderful view, watch the sun rise or set, or the moon over the water……you don't want anything more than absolutely necessary to interfere with that view. Then if you're sitting on that beautiful porch, or deck, in your rocker, with a drink by your side, watching the sun rise or set, you want to enjoy that…….not be eaten alive or carried off, so you absolutely need screens! Style should not get in the way of function. I gotta say, I don't like the brown posts…but they may not be done yet, and everything they have done so far works, so I having faith in DIY ;-)

karenlin91 on April 18, 2013 at 2:48 pm
    • Karenlin I'm a lover of symmetry, and I believe the architect of the BC is too! I believe DIY will use the guardrail cables on the front porch in order to maintain the architectural design of the two porches, and keep their symmetry in tact. That's why I no longer see a screened porch happening on the lower level. I also believe the finished landscaping will play up the symmetry reflected in the exterior design of this home. Aesthetics play a large part in BC….more so than function due to this home being a showcase for marketing home products. I do believe like you the upper posts will be wrapped in white trim at the end…that's needed to maintain the symmetry. Symmetry is a beautiful thing!!

Mel on April 18, 2013 at 4:55 pm
    • Use one of the old maps and follow the captions log from White's ship and his directions will end at Cedar Island.A couple of the last names of the colonist and Cedar Islanders match.I can believe that the skeeters toted them off,blood drop by blood drop.

TonyE on April 19, 2013 at 12:05 am
  5. I just discovered OBX TV (Outer Banks TV) on Roku/even located it online. "It provides programs and videos about lighthouses, shipwrecks, hang gliding, surfing, history & nature from the Outer Banks and Northeast North Carolina". If anyone has an interest….you may want to check it out! I enjoyed the program that was on now about the aquarium and how it set up.

Has DIY considered Roku? Just asking. : )

Trish on April 18, 2013 at 9:12 am
    • Trish, not many people who are native to the area watch it, it keeps repeating hour after hour and day after day, it is mainly for visitors, but as you've noticed it is informative on the area and activities and educates one about the area. Just keep in mind that what they show is OBX and is an all day round trip from the BC to take in a lot of the things that they show you and advertise. But i know a lot of people will be thankful that you found this link for them to enjoy.

540sam on April 18, 2013 at 8:09 pm
    • Thanks for the info. I've not been to OB and have found this very interesting. I hope others who haven't been there will enjoy it.

Trish on April 20, 2013 at 1:31 pm
  6. What was the hardwood flooring used in the entryway?

alan on April 18, 2013 at 9:24 am
    • If I remember correctly the flooring selected wasn't hardwood but bamboo.

Ishmael on April 18, 2013 at 8:46 pm
  7. Was there already a plan "B" in place, when it was realized, that the house had to be rebuilt instead of remolded?

vicki_in_Utah on April 18, 2013 at 9:59 am
  8. I t looks like a meeting is going on at the BC, everyone is gathered outside.

vicki_in_Utah on April 18, 2013 at 10:00 am
  9. For those of you that don't know, there is a New Thread!!!

Jennie/Florida on April 18, 2013 at 2:34 pm
    • And a new vote!

karenlin91 on April 18, 2013 at 2:37 pm
    • Thanks Karen!! I should have mentioned that with the new thread.. I'm just not with it today for some reason…

Jennie/Florida on April 18, 2013 at 4:25 pm
  10. OK, that does it, i'm officially filing a protest against the DIY crew for the act of having fun and fishing on the dock while we blogers have to sit and watch and is clearly a violation of snoop invasion rules.xDB)

540sam on April 18, 2013 at 2:56 pm
    • Where do I sign the petition, Sam? That's like, TOTALLY UNFAIR!!! B):*:p Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on April 18, 2013 at 3:23 pm
    • Will they leave the fishing poles behind for the winner? You can never have enough of those.

Trish on April 20, 2013 at 1:34 pm