Mar 14

People’s Choice: Vote for Outdoor Living Features

Blog Cabin 2013 Outdoor Features

We’ve arrived at round six of our People’s Choice voting program! Please help us select outdoor features for Blog Cabin 2013, from outdoor seating to fire pit style.

• Posted at 11:19 am on March 3, 2013

1. How can you expect us to decide between the choices you've given us. They are all beautiful!!!!! I can't wait to see the end results. I'm not lucky so I will watch this go to someone else and I will just keep dreaming. You are the best!!!!. Thanks for the chance.

Teena Chaney on March 15, 2013 at 10:32 pm
    • Never give up dreaming, Teena! It's called imagination–in it you can hope and pretend and think–and you can rejoice if you do win–and you could surprise even yourself! And if you don't, you can be like one of the Bloggies here, we try to pull for each other and have fun dreaming together. Good luck to you!;)^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 15, 2013 at 11:51 pm
  2. Good morning Bloggers! Like most of you I like all the choices, and of course I do have my favorites. There was alot of activity yesterday on the house, yard, and dock, I really enjoy watching all the pieces come together. The dock is well made and should withstand most of what mother nature has to offer, those two guys really put in a good day's work. Thanks to all the workers, DIY team, and the bloggers for making this cottage by the sea a special event and dream come true. Have a great holiday.

Jimbo on March 16, 2013 at 6:11 am
  3. My rotty bodysurf when I take him to OBX in the summer. He loves the beach.

zulumom on March 16, 2013 at 6:24 am
    • That would be so fun to see. your Rotty bodysurfing.

vicki_in_Utah on March 16, 2013 at 10:36 pm
    • Maybe mine could watch and realize it is possible!

karenlin91 on March 16, 2013 at 10:46 pm
    • Maybe if we win we'll start a dog body surfing lesson class

zulumom on March 17, 2013 at 7:43 am
    • I'm in!

karenlin91 on March 17, 2013 at 8:22 am
  4. Good Morning to all, I see Someone was Unhappy with my last statement and gave me a thumbs down.
    I'm sorry if I was being a little negative but it was just comment about the yard being "torn up" bu the big machinery And I know it will be taken care of by Jason and Matt and made beautiful again..
    I value Everyone's comments and never give thumbs down to anyone..We are all adults here and I thought respected one another. There has been a lot of negative comments but were never given thumbs down…I guess I was nominated and won..I truly didn't mean to ruffle any Feathers..It was just a statement about the machinery tearing up the yard..So Sorry, I thought We could give our opinions without being judged…Have A Good Day!!!!!:(

Jennie/Florida on March 16, 2013 at 8:57 am
    • Jennie, congratulations on your nomination and win, sounds like it should be the Oscars, huh? I found your comment and you have -2….I got rid of one, but someone else has to wipe out the second one. Don't let it get to you, very possibly wasn't personal, I can't imagine it being so……maybe it was in agreement with you in a way (about the yard)? As for the yard…with all the clay, it's going to need some work regardless, and I'm sure they will take care of it. Look at it this way, the daffodils are still going strong and they're leaving the muscadines alone ;-) It's all good ((((((((hugs))))))))))

karenlin91 on March 16, 2013 at 9:41 am
    • Thank you So much Karen, I appreciate You and Your comments..I just feel like the Wind was taken out of my Sails!!! I have enjoyed the Blog Cabin for so many years, since the first BC in 2007 as a matter of fact. 95% of the time it has been such a joy to Blog with Great Bloggers from all over the US…That's what brings me back year after year..The Bloggers and of Course these Beautiful homes that we get to help change from badly needed renovation or a New Build, to beautiful Homes …I look forward to each BC and can't wait to renew my friendship with those who comeback for the next BC..They have been a great Blogging family to me:)
      Karen, I have to tell you, I was on the Camera Cam this morning and was looking around and I just happened to zoom in on the leafy area of the Muscadine Vine and Saw some Muscadines!!:p<3
      There isn't that many but there is a few…I got so excited when I saw them and You were the first person I thought of …The Vines have a chance to really produce if the Guys trim and groom the vine before they get too far along in season..I think this is the time to prune. There is hope yet and the Owners will get to enjoy the grapes this coming Fall:p<3 Have a Good Day and Thank you Again!<3B)

Jennie/Florida on March 16, 2013 at 10:44 am
    • Jennie, I can see why you have enjoyed the cabins for so many years, now that I am hopelessly addicted ;-) As far as trimming the Muscadines, even if they don't, muscadines seem to do well wild, so hopefully they will do the same here…….I see muscadine wine and preserves in our future !
      Going to go look right now, Thank you

karenlin91 on March 16, 2013 at 10:53 am
    • Jennie, I would just totally ignore the thumbs up/down stuff. We all know that the core group of Bloggers are on the same page and not here to cause tension or trouble. Don't give the "Debbie Downers" and the "Frumpy Freds" the satisfaction of being upset. We <3 you just the way you are. Chris-IN

chris50555 on March 17, 2013 at 7:14 am
    • Thank you Chris for your support that means a lot to me..I can't even imagine why Someone would want to be like that. My Dear Mom whom I miss so much has always taught me to be kind and considerate of other people, that being rude and mean to people will only bring You unhappiness as a results…She was a very wise Lady and I wish more people thought like her…
      Chris, I have been meaning to tell you that I still have those photos of the Dock workers but my Daughter gave me her Computer and I need some assistance in putting the photos in…This computer has more bells and whistles on it than my other one did so i'm having to start all over again with the learning process…Have never been one for Computers but my Daughter insisted so I'm Sill learning…She lives 3hrs away and is a Realtor so I have to wait till she can take a break for a visit…The photos look really good on my Camera but don't know how they will look when they get to you..Let me know if you still want them and have a Great St. Patty's Day!!:pB)

Jennie/Florida on March 17, 2013 at 10:52 am
    • Jennie, you know that I KNOW how you feel about those unfair TDs. We do have somebody who tends to express them frequently this go round–pretty sure I've figured who it is out, but God will do the dealing. As I'm told and reminded over and over, let it go, (hard) don't pay attention to it (double hard, when you meant nothing bad to begin with!). I give TU to all who make good, positive, uplifting statements. If I disagree, I may mention it but in good nature–it is a free world and it is a shame there's a cranky person or persons that are bent upon negating the value of the freedom of an individual expression, while believing only they are free in this Country to speak freely! Sad, in the long run–for them! =/:x Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 17, 2013 at 1:31 pm
    • Fascinating now! Jennie, I commented about your post regarding TD and negative posts and left it basically related to one's freedom of speech. That was about one hour ago. I have already been hit with the TD! :) In this time-frame, the one I believe does not believe in our freedoms of expression or speech has been online. I'm sad for them. This should be a friendly Blog. One in particular has a chip on the shoulder–something in life's past must have hurt you badly, to make you a bitter individual and I'm sorry for you!:|<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 17, 2013 at 3:19 pm
    • Okay, Kitty, and Jennie, and anyone else who is getting upset with the tds. Most of the time I'm concentrating on how long ago something was posted, to catch anything new and forget to even look at the #s to the right. As far as I am concerned, for whatever reason someone is doing it, it is upsetting people. So I am going to try to pay attention and if I see a minus, I am going to cancel it out. It is not worth getting upset over, there is too much positive here to let that bother you, so we'll just cancel it out. Nuff said ;-)

karenlin91 on March 17, 2013 at 4:46 pm
    • testing. When I posted above, it showed up with a +1. Testing to see if it happens again. If it does, it may not be a person doing it, just some kind of bug in the software?

karenlin91 on March 17, 2013 at 4:51 pm
    • Okay, all the more reason to ignore them. I'm going for bug in the software. Nobody had time to read my post and agree or disagree, it showed up with the +1

karenlin91 on March 17, 2013 at 4:53 pm
    • Hi, Karenlin,Thanks! Here's how I see it: if one is registered for Intensedebate and has a yellow oval, there's an auto +1 when one posts, so if the oval becomes a zero, then it has been hit.. The negatives do count against one if they wish to be considered as "good, responsive/respected bloggers." I believe I've identified you know who, but I'm not worried about pointing fingers and won't reveal who I think it is!–that isn't my concern! In this particular spell we have someone who wants people to believe just like them—or TD… When I raised the simple question about a current issue with the cost of metal, i became "an adversary." One time I said something good concerning the individual's point, with which I agreed, I was NOT TD'd. I'm not upset– except– for where a TD was on my post that was a SYMPATHY note for a newly Widowed New Blogger! I stated my disbelief and again, that the individual that does this will not get my judgement–but their own, as appropriate someday. I know I am in no place to judge, but it IS sad this blog is being subjected to such negativity that spoils some of our fun! =/B):o Love, Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 17, 2013 at 5:31 pm
    • Sorry, Karenlin–NOT bug in software! Person actually seeks my and certain other Blogger's posts, because it couldn't possibly always be content….B)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 18, 2013 at 4:13 pm
    • Hi Kitty, I have been away all day and just got home a little while ago…What is going on??
      I rushed through the Comments because there were soooo many…What has happened to Our Blog? This is really sad to have Someone like this person to ruin Our Happy Blogging Family! Not excepted and Someone at Diy should step in…

Jennie/Florida on March 17, 2013 at 11:07 pm
    • Jennie, It will be OK, eventually. Someone has their own problems and does not like it if one does not agree with them and later holds a grudge. I'm almost positive who, but it doesn't matter, for i am not judge and jury. It e\was especially sad, though when the perp dinged me because it was I–certainly it could not have been what i said, for I was extending both sympathy for the death of a new Blogger's husband and welcoming her and offering to be there if she wanted to talk. i drew the line there, for that lady is totally new and innocent and grieving, for heaven's sakes! Some good Soul came in and took care of the negatives… I just turned the perp to God's justice. It is sad though for the perp, because, the perp may not care for being on the end of that kind of justice…. Just rest, Jennie..I know you haven't had much experience with the TDs as I have –well, you know me and my open book statements. :) This individual has problems… BIG ones. Very sad, when we all just want to be friendly and have a pleasant time! Hope that you and all rest well tonight! <3<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 17, 2013 at 11:36 pm
    • Kitty & Jennie, girls, please – don't get fixated on the meanies. I'm only one of many of the "good souls" that are trying to keep you girls on the plus side because it means so much to you. But PLEASE don't take it to heart when you get a T/D. They don't really mean anything because some "sad soul" might want to get you fired up. Sometimes, that's the only way an anon. "sad soul" can voice. Am I making any sense? Please don't let them spoil your good times here. They are so not worth it.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 20, 2013 at 10:59 pm
    • Jennie, I'm not sure what your comment was, but I gave you a thumbs up. I noticed they were cleaning up things this a.m.. Everyone ha their own thoughts and yours are important too. Don't dwell on it….Think of all the sunshine and wind in your sails if you win! he-hee!

amberPA on March 16, 2013 at 11:00 am
    • lol, Amber is so right Jennie! And a glass of wine to you both!

karenlin91 on March 16, 2013 at 11:02 am
    • Thank you Karen and amber for being so kind :p…Karen I can't find my comment to you about seeing those grapes on the Vines..Did you see them? There was only a few but enough to get excited about.
      Do you remember which post that was and did you reply??? Can't find it!!! :( <3B)

Jennie/Florida on March 16, 2013 at 9:40 pm
    • I gave you a TU on that comment, I had made one and agreed with you but it got zapped.

vicki_in_Utah on March 16, 2013 at 11:28 am
    • Thank you Vicki, I appreciate that…I really can't understand why this is going on!!! I wish Diy would Eliminate the thumbs down all together..I don't think it is necessary and only causes Friction over the Blog…This is suppose to be a Fun Place to enjoy blogging and follow the process during the Build of the BC..You and I have been on here for quite some time and Really love that DIY is giving us a chance
      to to be a part of this Journey….Have A Good Day and Thank you again Vicki:p<3

Jennie/Florida on March 16, 2013 at 12:04 pm
    • Jennie, maybe it was the guy who had to come in today on overtime and clean it up. LOL:p

540sam on March 16, 2013 at 12:17 pm
    • My Goodness Sam, wouldn't it be Great if those Guys were actually reading our Comments..He knew he made a Mess and it didn't take long for him to Smooth over that area in the front yard!!! Wow

Good Work Young Man and Thank you!!! <3:p:)

Jennie/Florida on March 16, 2013 at 12:30 pm
    • Jennie, I got you back on the + side, I don't know what is with the T D, makes no sense at all. I see above that Clive has a big neg. and I sure don't know what there is to T D him for. But don't worry about it, maybe someone is messing with us again.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 16, 2013 at 12:47 pm
    • Thank you WCG, but now they are fooling with Your T/U…I gave you a thumbs up and they zapped that too…This is getting really foolish!!! They are acting like Children..That is sad to have this happen to the Ones who are Really here for the Right reasons and are dedicated to Blog Cabin's Blogs and Diy's newest Journey to the Coast of NC…:(:( Have a Good Day and Thank you! :p

Jennie/Florida on March 16, 2013 at 1:14 pm
    • Well, Jennie, I don't think I'll worry about that any more. You shouldn't either. We are all friends here and we shouldn't let the naysayers bring us down. I don't understand negativism and I don't want to. You hang in there, have a great weekend and keep voting & blogging!
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 16, 2013 at 9:13 pm
    • Dear Jennie, we have to realize that this Blog Cabin turned into a complete RE-DO and that meant big toys for big boys and you and I should count our blessings that they showed up, the cavalry, I mean. No, I am not upset that you stated the obvious–that we all think in terms of the finished product,with all the best of the original and the final cottage–but it's the "muddle in the middle" that makes us do a reality check. I did understand, because essentially I was in love with the cottage from the first time I saw it, as I guess most of us Bloggers found ourselves incapable of resisting the history and lore associated with the home and its environment. Don't worry, it will be sooooooooooooooo lovely when they finish. We can re-plant the hydrangeas and things ourselves. I know I want a garden. And a boat. And long lazy days outside. And cozy winter nights inside by the fireplace with the moon and stars hanging over the water.

BrookwoodCarolina on March 16, 2013 at 6:47 pm
    • Thank you for understanding how I was feeling BrookwoodCarolina. This is a very Special place and everything about it has meaning..I don't know if you have been reading the Blogs before you joined us. Alicia who grew up there joined us on the Blog…If you haven't seen her Comments, you can go back in the earlier Threads, l can't remember exactly which threads now, but if you like, I will see if I can find them for you. Very interesting reading from a Lovely Person that she is…Let me know if you would like to read them…Have a Good Evening…:)

Jennie/Florida on March 16, 2013 at 7:46 pm
    • The blog sessions are supposed to be for discussions and openions and as such everyone deserves a thumbs up, not a thumbs down for having one. You keep going Jennie and just ignore ignorance.

540sam on March 17, 2013 at 4:18 am
    • Am I wrong or are the numbers with plus in front mean thumbs up and the numbers with minus in front mean thumbs down? Most everyone I see has a plus in front of the number.

JudyInMich on March 21, 2013 at 7:52 am
    • Hi Judy, If someone likes Your comment, most of the time, they will give you a Thumbs Up, but if they don't like your comment or doesn't agree with you, they will give you a Thumbs Down…In my opinion, I think the T/D should be eliminated….We are all Grown Adults here and the blog is for Us to give Our opinions, So instead of the Person giving a T/D, it would be nice if they would just explain why they don't agree with you BUT in a constructive Nice way of Course!!! Everyone doesn't think alike :) Just My Thoughts!:p Have A Good Day!!!

Jennie/Florida on March 21, 2013 at 12:41 pm
    • PS Giving a Thumbs Down without giving an explanation doesn't solve anything but causes hurt feelings especially when that Person doesn't explain why they gave the T/D… :(

Jennie/Florida on March 21, 2013 at 12:50 pm
    • Hi Judy, yes thumbs up is Plus and thumbs down is minus!

Jennie/Florida on March 22, 2013 at 9:26 am
    • I see what you mean. It would be nice if they explained their negative opinion.:)

JudyInMich on March 22, 2013 at 3:56 pm
  5. Two things. The yard will recover. The grass (centipede) will fill back in with no problem. The construction crew is doing very good in the fact that almost all personal vehicles park next to the road. Very few people actually pull personal vehicles on the property.The cedar trees and oaks have been there longer than any of us they can tolerate anything, The grape vine has seen two "once in a lifetime" storm surges within 15 years. If they don't cut anything the landscape should do okay. Now, the dock. The unfortunate truth is the dock has a life span of less than ten years. Hurricanes or near misses of hurricanes wipe out docks within 10 years down there. If you do not like the ramp on the dock…… It will change in a few years.

Former local on March 16, 2013 at 9:58 am
    • Thank you for the info, it means a lot since you know the area. I personally have complete faith in the yard, but I love the muscadines and am really glad to hear that they have lasted thru a lot. I have always kindof wondered where all the guys parked. How busy is the highway in that area? They don't have to worry about getting far enough off the road? As for the dock: Even with the bolts and the care which they are using in the build, it won't be any stronger?

karenlin91 on March 16, 2013 at 10:14 am
    • I agree. The yard will recover. I was surprised that they washed-in the dock piles and didn't drive them. It's been sturdily built but, as you say, they don't survive around here no matter how sturdy the're built. That's why they're usually simple designs with no frills. Enjoy it before nature redesigns it.

PeterNC on March 16, 2013 at 12:38 pm
    • I agree PeterNC I dont know why they didnt drive the piles either, however there is a problem that needs to be addressed soon. If youve noticed on the right side, looking from the cabin, a washed channel is being cut right up against the pilings, I suspect that is why the right side of the deck settled so much and failed on the older deck. If its not bulkheaded and filled it will happen again with the next blow.

540sam on March 17, 2013 at 4:30 am
  6. Speaking of the dock ;-) . Someone is there with the crane thingie up by the dock, working today! And someone else is over by the cabin, looks like he's getting ready to move dirt around!

karenlin91 on March 16, 2013 at 10:19 am
  7. Sat.morn. looks like he is out there cleaning up the ruts made by tractors/trucks. Nice job! Have a great day all!^_^

amberPA on March 16, 2013 at 10:53 am
    • They cleaned up the extra wood by the dock too.;-) Happy Weekend!

karenlin91 on March 16, 2013 at 11:00 am
    • Karen, you are so observant! I checked on it yesterday a bit late, I didn't even notice. Thank you! You have a wonderful weekend also!B)

amberPA on March 16, 2013 at 11:11 am
    • lol, not so observant. They didn't do it yesterday, I happened to look this morning and saw them do it!

karenlin91 on March 16, 2013 at 11:35 am
    • Hearing that pleases me and it will certainly please Jennie/Florida!
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 16, 2013 at 9:19 pm
    • Absolutely! I'm a Happy Camper. It was as if someone had read my comment and there he was bright and early this morning to take care of it…Scary!! Wouldn't it be great if they all read Our Blogs???

Jennie/Florida on March 16, 2013 at 11:52 pm
  8. Also, I checked the weather in NC today is supposed to be windy and some hail. Hope all is strapped down! He-hee! Here we are having…..snow again, as usual. All good!

amberPA on March 16, 2013 at 11:04 am
  9. The choices are wonderful. But, I didn't vote for the rustic outside showers or the rustic arbor. They will become too pitted and run down too quickly with the salt air. Same reason I didn't vote for the copper mailbox or metal numbers, they will be pitted in no time with the salt air and spray.

Colleen on March 16, 2013 at 11:14 am
    • Colleen, are you saying the rustic shower & arbor will pit more quickly than the other wood shower/arbor options?
      I understand metal turning & pitting, but wouldn't the other mailbox & address number options pit and wear as well – if they are wood?
      My question is, because all metal and all wood pits & wears quickly in the air at BC (and we all know that it does), what will hold up the longest? I know the new chemically engineered decking/planking might do better. Is that what you are leaning towards for the arbor & shower? If that is an option for the Wood or Classic White trellis & shower vote, I missed it.
      Please share more of your thoughts/reasoning. I'm confused by your comment. Maybe you know something we don't know?
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 16, 2013 at 10:01 pm
    • Could it also be the season for specific landscaping, since they're working in NC. It will be warmer there sooner. Frost time is nearly over. I couldn't believe what was blooming in my yard today in SE Virginia~~I had been down with my back out for the past 3 weeks, so had not looked at my garden! couldn't believe it! Tulip Magnolias in full bloom, as are all forsythias! My daffodils are later bloomers and they're all standing tall and nearly ready to pop. Spring bulbs are all nearly ready, I'm so excited! Last year, My encore azaleas bloomed 3 times!!! Hoping that will happen again, beginning this Spring. We're still having near to or freezing temps at least at night, But NC in the Atlantic area is well south if here, so they could be considered a different planting zone! B)xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 16, 2013 at 10:22 pm
  10. Truly shaping up fine!!! Windows, windows, windows please!!!! There's a gorgeous view out there!!

Colleen on March 16, 2013 at 11:27 am