Mar 14

People’s Choice: Vote for Outdoor Living Features

Blog Cabin 2013 Outdoor Features

We’ve arrived at round six of our People’s Choice voting program! Please help us select outdoor features for Blog Cabin 2013, from outdoor seating to fire pit style.

• Posted at 11:19 am on March 3, 2013

1. Something's been niggliing at me for a while. Not sure whether anyone else has noticed or if anyone is even concerned so here goes.

Unless I'm very wrong it seems they are planning on using the door from the front porch (the one outside the master suite) as the front door. This is where the knocker will be and it's the door facing the street. I really don't like this arrangement. Visitors and strsangers coming to the house will see and enter straight into your private bedroom and have to go through that room to get into the house. This lends another dimension to the term "Southern Hospitality". ;)

This arrangement seems a big mistake. Maybe they have redesigned the inside to have a small entry hall opening to the left to the main stairway space. That would seem the logical way around this. If not it's going to be a first priority for anyone living there I'm sure. Who wants to have to answer a front door in their master bedroom??:S:$

Clive on March 15, 2013 at 1:22 pm
    • Clive, I thought the door knocker would go on the door to the foyer? It makes no sense to go on a door to the master bedroom. Hopefully DIY will make changes to their plans if they plan on it being on the master bedroom door. Becky:)<3

bythebaydreamer on March 15, 2013 at 2:02 pm
    • Clive, If I remember right from the drawings, the master bedroom porch and outside door, does face the drive. However, There are steps going up to the porch in front of the double doors, and at the side of the porch right before the door to the foyer. I guess that would be the front door, although I think of the double door side of the cottage as the front of the house. ;-)

karenlin91 on March 15, 2013 at 2:17 pm
    • Hadn't really notice that, Clive, but will definitely do so now. Agree with you…wouldn't want the front door entrance to go through any bedroom. Also think the knocker should go on the front door, and maybe the bell on the waterway side…up near the head of the path to the water. That way, if friends come over and you're outside or at the dock, they can let you know they're there. My parents have one of those bells, and it is very annoying when folks ring it as they come into the house. I'd think you'd be more likely to hear the knocker if you are upstairs due to the resonance from it knocking directly on the door.

Bev on March 15, 2013 at 2:23 pm
    • Hard to knock on french glass door though

zulumom on March 15, 2013 at 5:34 pm
    • At least more than once!

Ishmael on March 15, 2013 at 6:10 pm
    • A Good Friday to you Clive! What gave you the idea the Master Suite Bedroom Porch would be the Front
      Entry Door??? There is A Foyer Entry and a Waterside Entry why would they use the little "Private" Entry to the Master/S as the Main Entrance?
      Clive, How can You even see the M/S Porch from the Camera Cam? What are they doing in that area that would give you that idea. I know you are really Good at Spotting things. What have you seen them do? I really don't think that will happen..
      If this is true, the New Owner can Change the Main Entrance to either of the other Doors and change the door bell or what ever they added to that Entrance…I know I would!! Just My Thoughts!:)B)

Jennie/Florida on March 15, 2013 at 2:52 pm
    • I think the knocker or bell will be at the font entry way foyer. True the 2 sets of entry steps are close, thats why I suggested flaired steps at the foyer entrance to better define the two.

540sam on March 15, 2013 at 3:19 pm
    • Gees, thanks for the Thumbs down, I wasn't being negative with Clive's comment, he knows how excited I get when he spots things and I beg him to shares with us…I wasn't saying he was wrong or anything.
      I was just trying to get him to tell us why he thinks the Master/Suite Entryway will be used as the Front Door Entry…Yes and I did ask him how he could see the M/S Porch from the Camera Cam, But I forgot about the Floor plans, where it showed the M/S Entryway and that IS the closest Porch and Entry way to the Cottage…Have a Great Evening and Please lighten up and Enjoy the Blogger's comments. We don't all think alike but we should respect each others comments. This is a fun Group of Bloggers, so please know We are Kind People who just want to Enjoy this Cottage's Journey…

Jennie/Florida on March 20, 2013 at 12:20 am
    • Hey Jennie, I think most of us know how excited you get by now! I saw where you were coming from & I thought you were just being passionate . There ain't nothing wrong with that AT all. You let 'er rip at any of us here, we can take it and never a T.D. to you. Disregard the meanies, they don't count.__WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 20, 2013 at 10:41 pm
    • :p<3 Thank you WCG, You are so kind..I've been doing this for so long that I forget that Everyone doesn't get as Excited about these Blog Cabins as I do! :p I don't know if you have read my comments about my journey with all the BC's since 2007….But a few other Bloggers have Come back each year too, so I'm sure They know how I feel and they are also dedicated to the BC as much as I am, but maybe "not quite" as verbal as I am! :D ^_^B) Thank you<3 and have a Great Day!!!

Jennie/Florida on March 21, 2013 at 12:09 pm
    • Don't let it worry you. I'm sure the landscape design and parking area will lead people up to the foyer entrance. I'd be surprised if the small bedroom deck had anything other than a few stones at the bottom of its steps and there will be a significant walkway to the main entrance. I'm expecting parking for at least three cars in the area where the trailer has been and the supplies are being stored. We'll see for sure when the landscapers take over.

Ishmael on March 15, 2013 at 6:08 pm
    • Hi Clive! I know how it is when you get turned around. It may seem curious to us that the home faces the water, and that the drive comes in from the side, but that is fairly standard procedure for water front homes I believe. I didn't understand why the little deck off the master suite came off behind the entrance to the foyer either, but possibly when they put in the driveway, it will line up better with the front of the house and they will do something with the landscaping to obscure the back entrance, which should be private for the owners to enjoy, away from view from the water or the road. I believe that the door bell will go in beside the French doors which open onto the front, facing the water. I think it would be such fun to ring it to call in your family from the pier who are fishing or swimming, or grandchildren who are playing in the yard… have you seen the video now of the re-design? I love the stairway and the light from the 'crow's nest' that will always make it feel like we're going up in the boat to see where we're bound.

BrookwoodCarolina on March 23, 2013 at 1:03 am
    • The bedroom door, off the small porch, is definitely not the main entrance door. The main entrance is on the left side of the foyer, leading directly into the foyer, then into the upstairs stairway area, before entering the kitchen.

Builder on March 23, 2013 at 10:56 am
    • I might want to add one thing. The new, lucky owner can have the front entrance door wherever they want it, I guess. The house was designed, I think, so the door out of the master bedroom would be more of a private entrance for the owner to appreciate the privacy of having their own little deck just outside their bedroom.

Builder on March 23, 2013 at 7:23 pm
  2. HelloBloggers ! Just looked athe the cabin cam. looks like they are putting down a deck under the front roof. Wow ! really doing a great job. love the cam. Have not ben able to see it at night . will try to look soon. love the coments about seeing the lights at night. Have a great day everyone ! ;) Thank you DIY for a chance to dream and maybe , win this teriffic home. <3 <3 <3 <3

Nan on March 15, 2013 at 1:57 pm
  3. DIY Team: Is there going to be a ramp up to the dock? I hope so. ^_^ Becky:)<3

bythebaydreamer on March 15, 2013 at 2:03 pm
    • I think you got your answer Becky.

540sam on March 15, 2013 at 3:20 pm
    • Love the ramp, love the dock

zulumom on March 15, 2013 at 5:32 pm
  4. Happy to take a stroll back over here—haven't peeked in for a while and things are really moving along:) This place is really shaping up! What a great location—especially like the beach and the wild horses in the vicinity:)

joyfulj9 on March 15, 2013 at 2:20 pm
  5. Good evening, all my DIY friends and bloggers! Just took a look at the cabin and it really is turning into a classic beach cottage. I love it, and it seems to me that we chose the most gorgeous options, all along. I am going to try moving the camera to the ocean view tonight to see the lights. I check on it at night but always click off, as it is all black at the cabin. I haven't looked in awhile, but maybe the Ides of March is the perfect day to see lights on the horizon. I love all the outdoor choices, so will not be disappointed with anything they do! I know that the DIY teams know the sun, wind and water that will be an issue in this little paradise and will make a home stronger than we could ever imagine. Good luck to everyone, though of course I really really want to win…

BrookwoodCarolina on March 15, 2013 at 4:50 pm
  6. Have a great weekend one and all and enjoy St Patrick's day if you so indulge.;) It's yet another snow storm for us, just starting now and due to go through tomorrow morning. I've lost count of how many we've had since Feb 1st this year. :S

I'll see you on the blog later next week. Don't have too much fun without me. ^_^

Clive on March 15, 2013 at 5:39 pm
    • Bye, Bye, Clive. Have a great week! B)B)<3<3:DBoo

Boo on March 15, 2013 at 5:46 pm
    • See you later, Clive. My husband is Irish….It's snowing here, too, but I didn't know it was going to be a storm??? Drive safe.

Tisha

TishaStanley on March 15, 2013 at 6:01 pm
    • Clive, I hope you have a nice weekend as well. I hope the snow doesn't get too deep, and melts as fast as it comes. Becky:)<3

bythebaydreamer on March 15, 2013 at 6:42 pm
    • Have a good weekend Clive!

karenlin91 on March 15, 2013 at 6:46 pm
    • We are finally having what should be described as an average March; and with HS basketball tourney just about to take place, we are due for at least one more storm.

Enjoy your time away, we'll chat again.

DGustaf on March 17, 2013 at 4:39 pm
  7. Well the Guys are gone for the Day, long day for them…but at least it was a Beautiful Day and it warmed up in the 50's…Good working weather!! Did Everyone see the Dock where they sloped it down toward the Cottage? I was hoping for maybe 2 or 3 Steps there, really don't know why just thought it would look better …Not a big deal just for looks I guess. The sloped will be good if someone couldn't walk up the steps and it will be wheelchair accessible which is great!!
    Now My Dear Blogging Friend, Please bear with me and try to understand where I am coming from. Maybe some of you will feel the same way that I do….The first Photos We saw of this Beautiful Land so green and lush and the Cute little Cozy Cottage, I instantly fell in love with it and was so excited to see the Cottage upgraded, but as a Person who has a Great Love for Landscaping, I really was taken with the land and thought, If I won this Three acres and Cottage I would Enjoy Every Minute of grooming the yard and planting flowers everywhere… But I have to say these Guys with all their Big Toys with Monster wheels are destroying almost all of the yard and the Natural Grass that I thought was so beautiful….Some of the Places they are driving on has nothing to do with the Cottage or the landscaping….I'm Sorry I just hate to see the Lawn all torn up..I know when Jason and Matt does their landscaping, it will look beautiful again But that will be sometime from now and right Now they are scraping and tearing up the yard and making more mud areas for the Rains to find before the Landscaping begins!!! I just wish they would take a little care as to where they are driving those Big Old Monster Mashes in the yard..Thank you for listening!!! Just My Thoughts!!!! Jennie<3:pB)

Jennie/Florida on March 15, 2013 at 5:59 pm
    • The ramp is much too steep for a wheelchair unless there's a strong pusher. :)

AnniesOwn on March 15, 2013 at 6:36 pm
    • Hi Annie, Maybe if there were enough Muscle Men there to help, no problem! Just a thought:)^_^

Jennie/Florida on March 15, 2013 at 6:51 pm
    • Although the camera angle probably makes the ramp look steeper than it really is, a narrow dock with no sides is probably not a great place for a wheelchair in any event.

Ishmael on March 15, 2013 at 7:24 pm
    • Hi Ishmael, maybe the Dock Guys aren't finished with it yet!!!:)

Jennie/Florida on March 15, 2013 at 7:51 pm
    • "Hoveround" or whatever that electronic scooter is – oh yeah, scooter store. They are all electronic now except for the occassional wheelchair.

Wind Chime Girl on March 15, 2013 at 7:58 pm
    • Annie and all, I think you may have a point, Annie. While photography can affect our perspective, I think the angle may be a bit on the steeper side. For someone with physical challenges, I am sincerely hoping there will be a rail, but it is way too early to judge–they aren't finished yet. The electric scooters are excellent on solid surfaces, but not on uneven grass or sand–or a stone path–which is in the lead at this time . I have some experience personally with accessibility issues and wheelchairs. Actually quite a bit. It would be very SAD if a person who is wheelchair bound were in the winner's household and loved to relax by fishing and couldn't enjoy that hobby. I'm sure DIY would work with them! Just saying, one who isn't normally exposed to the challenges tends to not even notice the great difference a bit of an angle can make. I sure don't believe it is intentional, but just life and whether one has or has not been there… Thank you for heightening our awareness.<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 16, 2013 at 12:34 am
    • Jennie, in ref. to your "tearing up the landscape" comments, I learned that all construction workers care little to nothing about what they need to drive over to get their job done. The crews @ BC are doing a bang-up job here, but face the facts – they are a const. crew. When we had some guys out doing an add-on 6 years ago, I had to stay on them constantly. They were driving over everything and tearing up everything. They compacted the dirt in the landscaping, which is hard enough to undo, but they compacted the dirt around trees which is very hard to undo. The boss even suggested that I cut down a tree to make easier access for them!! They backed their skytrack into my herb garden, not because it was in their way, but because they weren't paying attention.
      Jennie, to put your mind at ease, even after my little diatribe, the ground will recover, the grasses will return and all will be right. The earth is much stronger than we are. Thankfully!
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 15, 2013 at 8:09 pm
    • Thank you WCG, I know the grounds and grasses will recover and like I said, I know that Jason and Matt will do an outstanding job repairing and landscaping the yard, but I just wish the Guys would think about how much work they are adding to Someone else's job being Jason and Matt's..Of course those Guys are there to get their job done but still should pay attention to what they are doing..I taught my Children to always respect Someone else's property…Old Mother Hen, I am!!..LOL …Have a Good Weekend!:p:)B)

Jennie/Florida on March 15, 2013 at 8:59 pm
    • You cannot make an omelet without breaking some eggs. Do not worry the grasses will reclaim their spots repairs to the lawn will be made and it will be beautiful.

zulumom on March 16, 2013 at 6:18 am
  8. Well folks, I came back here this evening to see a whole 'nother page of comments. It seems we are all commenting on each others' comments!
    I missed the sunset tonight even though I was here early enough to see it because I was trying to zoom in on the lighthouse. But all I get is a blur if I get in too close. Any help there, or is it just the camera's mood this evening?
    WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 15, 2013 at 7:39 pm
    • Hi Wind Chime Girl! I love reading your comments–you are so honest. I haven't been able to zoom in on the lighthouse at all. Is it the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse? Black and white? I have visited it before, and seen the wild horses ;=). When I worked as publicity manager for one of the NC CVB's, part of our job was to go to meetings all over NC, and actually experience the attractions in all the different counties. Taking the little boat over to the Outer Banks, and seeing the wild horses was spectacular. There is no other word for it. They run along the white sand beach and are totally wild. They don't come close to the visitors, but they tolerate them. I'd love to go back, and take my family now. Hope you can see them soon.

BrookwoodCarolina on March 23, 2013 at 1:10 am
    • Hi back, Brookwood Carolina! Thank you for your kind words. I love reading your comments, too.
      I've been away for too many days, in fact only got 1 or 2 hours in all together last week, so I've got loads of catching up to do. I got an email re your comment here and this is probably all the time I'll have here tonight. So, the lighthouse, if I remember correctly, is the Cape Lookout Lighthouse and I'm thinking it is THE black & white one that everyone has been talking about. But, I may be completely wrong on all that, if so maybe someone will catch this.
      Sounds like you had an exciting job and got to see so much. The Outer Banks look so beautiful, rugged, awesome – and they have horses – so it must be heaven-on-earth. I do hope I get to see it all one day, that's what Bucket Lists are for!
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 24, 2013 at 9:40 pm
  9. So interesting to see choices for the landscape, especially the firepit which my family always enjoys, so relaxing, even more so when you have a view of the water and a dock that would be so relaxing whether fishing which we all love, or just sitting and watching sunrises or sunsets. Love the big yard and will be fun to see how beautiful it all fits together with the bc when finished. Enjoy watching the progress every day with the camera cam

Barbara59nc on March 15, 2013 at 8:55 pm
  10. Barbara59nc, I love the idea of a camera cam as you mentioned. Maybe they could leave one behind? I agree this is a beautiful area for sunrises/sunsets.

Love the choices. I thought of the shade factor for the fenced-in area of the dog park. Horseshoes were my choice since wildhorses are part of scene. My initial choice was the traditional for the outdoor shower; but I DO like the rustic IF there were some privacy up above (private planes, drones). If not, I could see a cabin owner putting in an awning. : )

If the Andirondack chairs could be rustic in color….even better.

Again….LOVE the choices!