Mar 14

People’s Choice: Vote for Outdoor Living Features

Blog Cabin 2013 Outdoor Features

We’ve arrived at round six of our People’s Choice voting program! Please help us select outdoor features for Blog Cabin 2013, from outdoor seating to fire pit style.

• Posted at 11:19 am on March 3, 2013

1. Good morning everyone! Gotta admire these guys. Everyday it seems that as soon as it's daylight, there is at least one guy there, setting up and getting started. Today, it's 7:15 and two guys have already shown up! If we have a blog cabin party, they should be invited, they are dedicated! ;-)

karenlin91 on March 15, 2013 at 7:18 am
    • Karen, I am with you on a BC party!!! If I were lucky enough to win, I would want to throw a BBQ specifically for all the hard workers who have spent so much time rebuilding this amazing and beautiful home!!! They deserve to be recognized!!! Oh, and can't forget the four-legged supervisor we have all fallen in love with, would have to get a special treat for him to enjoy for overseeing everything! ;) :D

Shelly313 on March 15, 2013 at 9:17 am
    • Hi Karen, I agree they are amazing and always working so hard. Even when it has been very cold they have been there. Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on March 15, 2013 at 10:27 am
  2. Beautifull pastel blue and orange ski at sunrise this morning at the dock. I guess we appreicate things like that as we get older, more than when we were younger.

540sam on March 15, 2013 at 7:41 am
    • Exactly, I find myself just looking at the beautiful land and the water and I am so in awwww of it. This is such a beautiful place to retire and spend the rest of your life! Nature at it's best. The flowers are blooming, the sea gulls are perched on the dock. You can see the birds in the trees. PARADISE!!! Much Love!!! <3<3<3<3

Rebecca on March 15, 2013 at 10:33 am
    • Age certainly provides perspective and appreciation for natural beauty.

RLD on March 15, 2013 at 11:36 am
    • OOPS! sky.

540sam on March 15, 2013 at 4:49 pm
  3. Good morning, Everyone! It's a pretty day out, both at "our" cabin and here. I agree with Karenlin, the construction crew should be invited to a BC party!!! It seems no matter how early I get up, if the sun is shining, these guys are already there. Have a wonderful day, everybody!!!

TishaStanley on March 15, 2013 at 7:41 am
  4. Voting this round almost seems unnecessary – all the choices are good. Except maybe the reclaimed milk can mailbox, and that's not winning anyway. Reclaimed mailbox would be great, if it was reclaimed wood & shingles/siding from the original house. Just not feeling the milkcan though- would be hard to put a door on it to keep the rain out. :) I Iike all the pergolas, driftwood bench on the beach would be awesome, so would a hammock to relax in, watching the sunset. Door knocker would be nice, but I'm not thinking dolphin here. Bell is cool. Not into the "minimalist" shower, a little separation (privacy wall/curtain/something) I think is necessary. The others are both good. I vote for the freestanding fire pit/bowl, but all of them are nice. Can hardly wait to see how it all comes out. And I'm still hoping they use the old pump in a water feature.

Mimitheminer on March 15, 2013 at 7:50 am
    • The milk can would be good for a dairy farm.

540sam on March 16, 2013 at 4:26 am
  5. Happy Friday, Folks! I am so excited to see the ideas for the yard, though I too am a little curious about the trapezoid dog park–the other one looks bigger, but maybe they are using the trapezoid shape to keep the dogs away from the driveway entrance? I too first voted for the traditional shower. I know it doesn't look as upscale, but it looks sturdier. When I saw how the votes were running, I changed to agree. Guess I overthink things sometimes… I am still curious about no fish-cleaning station outside, and no garage, and today I am curious abut the front of the BC. Did I misunderstand the "balcony" on the second floor over the front entrance? Or is that to be double windows? I LOVE the ideas for this outdoor living space, and personally selected the stationary fire pit, simply because it looks like it will hold up to the weather and always be a fun space. I also first selected the traditional pergola (but also like the rustic look), because it adds a bit of classic country charm. I want this little cabin to step it up a notch, and realize its beauty, but like all of you, I will be glad to see the finished home, no matter what lovely things the bloggers and the DIY crews come up with. Isn't the sun beautiful, peeking through the trees this morning, and the skyline over the water is pink-hued… can't you just feel it… Carolina on my mind? I miss it so…

BrookwoodCarolina on March 15, 2013 at 7:51 am
    • Hi Brookwood, I chose the trapezoid design because it put more bushes and shrubs in it. I am only thinking about the animal in my choice. Dogs love to sit under the bushes and shrubs not to mention do their business there more often there then in the middle of the yard. That is my reasoning for choosing that design. As far as the rest, I love all of the choices and am having a hard time deciding on the others so I guess it really wouldn't matter because the house and land will be just amazing!!! Best of Luck! Much Love!! <3<3<3<3<3<3

Rebecca on March 15, 2013 at 10:57 am
    • Hi Rebecca! I didn't notice the shrubs inside the trapezoid lot–but you know, if I were lucky enough to win the cottage, I would definitely build a fence. It looks to me that the cottage is just barely off the main road, and I would feel better with a real fence and maybe even a gate across the driveway. I don't know, but it would seem to be safer for all concerned. I have a dog, cat, fish, and very often also have a bird, though I lost my bird and haven't had the heart to adopt another. Isn't it lovely to dream about living there? I always watch with interest, and love all the reality shows on DIY & HGTV. I learn so much, and get lots of ideas for being more creative in everything else I do too. Best of Luck to you as well ;=)

BrookwoodCarolina on March 15, 2013 at 9:02 pm
    • Hi, BC! Did You notice that they have put an electronic gate across the front driveway? I don't know if it is permanent but it is something to look into. I might want that option, to protect pets…. I'm also wondering if the gate was installed because of problems with construction materials disappearing.:)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 15, 2013 at 11:57 pm
    • Hi Kitty! No, didn't notice the electronic gate but I would want one anyway. With times as hard as they are, people are doing things without compunction–stealing from air conditioners, breaking in to homes, taking whatever they can get money for. It's sad, but we must plan to be secure, wherever we are. I have a large dog, but I would want security cameras and fences to help keep people honest. It's important to me to treat others as I would want to be treated, and to give back as I go, or pay it forward, as my daughter says, but that doesn't mean that I think I won't be a victim of a crime if I ignore good old common sense. I'm so glad that others are thinking along the same lines…take care, and good luck ;=).

BrookwoodCarolina on March 23, 2013 at 12:42 am
    • Hi Brookwood it is nice to see another animal lover. I personal like the open area instead of having my dog caged in. If you teach them their boundaries they are fine. To me animals are like a member of the family and are kept in the house at night but think they should be let out to run and play out in the yard on good days when they want to. This home has so much land several dogs would live the rest of their life out in paradise! Just my opinion. Good Luck my friend!!! Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on March 17, 2013 at 1:37 am
    • Hi Rebecca! Yes, I voted for the open area, but will be happy with either one! I keep my dog inside right now, for where I live, he isn't allowed outside unless I have a fence, and I don't! So we walk, and I throw his toys in the house for him to chase, but it's not the same. He and I are both getting some age on us now, so he is content, just following me around. He's like a two-year old baby, and won't let me get out of sight;=). If I were to win, I would want to go ahead and adopt another dog to be his friend and to be my friend when I lose my best friend. Much love to you too, Rebecca, and best of luck in winning the BC!

BrookwoodCarolina on March 23, 2013 at 12:46 am
  6. Good Morning…. I am still unable to read more than 2 pages of comments??? It is so interesting to read
    what people say… Help! PS… I like the column fire pit because the stones show up the earthy colors which are the same as the inside fireplace??? Would that be correct? Ehtel

Ethel on March 15, 2013 at 8:47 am
    • Hi Ethel, I am sorry you are having problems viewing others blogs. I personally just love all of the choices and am having a problem deciding so I guess it doesn't really matter what is chosen! This home will be amazing!! Best of Luck to you. Much Love!! <3<3<3

Rebecca on March 15, 2013 at 10:52 am
    • Hi, Ethel, and welcome to the blog. Maybe this will help. When you posted your comment, it was the last comment posted at that particular time. Since this is on page 2, there are only 2 pages of comments. There were no pages after page 2. If you want to read the replies to a specific comment click where it says the # of replies. Sometimes you have to click it twice for the replies to appear. Make sure the arrow is pointing down. I hope this helps.

Dghawk4 on March 15, 2013 at 4:21 pm
  7. Good morning everybody!!! :) I was so excited to see the new round open up last night!!! :D I tried several times to mention the idea for a horseshoe pit by the dock in previous posts, but those were the posts that "required approval" before posting o.0 haha! The Rustic Shower reminds me of the ones we showered in at the beach in the Philippines! I L<3VE that all of the options I am choosing are winning, except two:

1) I prefer the Natural Ring fire pit – I think it would be more comfortable and cozy to dig toes in sand while enjoying the warmth of the fire in a 'natural' fire pit setting, and it would be easier to clean up any stray gooey marshmallows too! ;)

2) I do not like the pet electric fence at all, I don't trust them and the shock seems a bit cruel IMHO. Plus, there is no guarantee the winner will even have dogs (or if they do, that they would even use it), so seems like a costly waste for DIY to invest in. Just MHO!

Everything is coming together so nicely! I can't wait till it is all finished. One of us is going to be very lucky and super blessed this fall!!! ^_^:):DB)<3

Shelly313 on March 15, 2013 at 9:00 am
    • Hi Shelly, I love all of the choices especially the dog park with the electric fence. They do work and are not harmful to your pet. My passion is to rescue older dogs from the shelter. I do hope the new owner will take my dream and will rescue several old dogs from the shelter. These old dogs are not likely to get adopted because of their age and will be put to death only because they are old. I think that is more cruel than an electrical fence. Of course this is my passion and only my opinion but if the owner does not use the fence it doesn't matter because it is invisible. You may think it is a waste of money but sometimes you think you wont have an animal and somehow you fall in love with a stray or a family member comes to visit that has a pet. It is definately a great thing to have. Again just my opinion!! Good luck and much love!! <3<3<3<3

rebecca on March 15, 2013 at 10:49 am
    • Hi Shelly313 & Rebecca! Thanks for the comment about the dog "electric fence".
      So glad this came on the comment section. We had a dog in our own chain link fenced back yard. She was a a love. anyway, when my neighbor came out our dog would bark. I always went out. By the way she was a house dog not always in the yard. One day I saw the neighbor throw water on her. I can see as I have lots of windows in my kitchen so the yard is always visable. I went out and told the neighbor she did not have to do that. I went out and bought a bark collar. I felt like , well, just awful. —- We used it for a short while. I could not stand the thought of hurting my little doggie. I do agree, just because it is available does not mean it has to be used.I too would love to take-in shelter dogs. Back to the DIY cabin. sooooo happy to have a chance to vote. ;) <3 <3 love the interaction with all of you. best to all.;) <3<3<3<3

Nan on March 15, 2013 at 1:24 pm
    • Hi All! Oh how mean. I also was convinced to buy the bark collar for my dear old friend, who is at this point 13 years old… I had no idea it would hurt him so bad. When he barked, he yelped and cried until I got it off of him and I immediately returned it to the store. I know people do use them successfully, but my old boy listens so well now that if I tell him to stay, he will stay where I tell him. He won't even stop foot off the patio unless I tell him to. So I personally prefer regular fences…I know I am a little crazy, but to me, dogs are people too… just think how smart they are. My vet told me they can understand up to 1,500 words. I sure can't understand their barks. And when my cat "talks" to me with meows, and I return with meows, Lord knows I have no idea what he thinks I am saying :=).

BrookwoodCarolina on March 23, 2013 at 12:52 am
    • I'll bet you used the word sh oe or sho es without a space. Those words, written without spaces, will trigger the 'Intense Debate' censoring software and you will never see those blogs again because no one at DIY monitors this. :@ It's a perennial problem that's never been addressed.

There are other words also. This year I discovered that the word "pharm acy" or any derivative (pharma cist etc.) are also not permitted by the automatic censor software. With their big annual priofits maybe time for Scripps to invest in a newer version of the software with these bugs removed. ;)

Clive on March 15, 2013 at 11:16 am
    • Clive, why would the word s h oe s be censored?

Wind Chime Girl on March 15, 2013 at 7:36 pm
    • WCG, a lot of us have wracked our brains on that word! It doesn't even sound like any "bad" word with which I'm familiar—lol, I have to fess up, I was raised real sheltered and actually may not be familiar with ALL of 'em, but, I know the word police have gotten me plenty of times, and confound it, most of them–I haven't the foggiest notion what I said to trip myself up! Wish someone would tell me!!!o.0;)^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 16, 2013 at 12:12 am
    • I suspect that products like the wireless dog fence don't cost DIY anything….they are probably provided by teh product manufacturer in exchange for the exposure they receive.

RLD on March 15, 2013 at 11:33 am
    • You are probably right RLD but either way it is a great thing to have. Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on March 15, 2013 at 1:13 pm
    • agreed

zulumom on March 15, 2013 at 5:45 pm
    • I love the natural ring fire pit! I believe it would be easier to clean up after a storm (well, aside from the table type–which is too fancy for me at a beachfront) I like the irregular rocks, they are simpler to put back, if they get moved during high water/winds. The columnar has to be put back just so, is beautiful, but I am trying to simplify life in my older age, not complicate it! LOL! K.I.S.S.:*<3:p;) Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 15, 2013 at 12:48 pm
    • Shelly313, I cringe too, thinking about the dog collar, but it is better than having your pet end up as roadkill on Seashore Drive. :x Boo

Boo on March 15, 2013 at 1:37 pm
    • Well it doesn't take long to teach your pet their boundaries and they are fine. Trust me I would not put anything on any animal that would hurt them. Much Love!!<3<3

Rebecca on March 17, 2013 at 1:42 am
    • Have to agree with DSDE — give me the natural fire pit with sand and adirondac chairs. It's the beach, ya'll! So much easier to keep looking nice and sand just fits right in, plus takes care of any stray embers that "jump out" occassionally. I also prefer the sand pathways — no worries about grass growing up between them to have to mow, which can not only damage your mower if a stone gets a corner "jacked up" or out of alignment, but can also be slippery when wet. Again…sand is supposed to be there. Much more natural and normal for the setting. No worries…if I win, we'll be taking those stones right up!

Bev on March 15, 2013 at 2:16 pm
    • It is not exactly the beach but the sound not that sandy. Still a beautiful location…

zulumom on March 15, 2013 at 5:49 pm
  8. Good Morning guys!!! How is everyone this beautiful Friday morning?? Nature is at its best at the BC. The flowers are blooming, the sea gulls are purched on the dock, you can see birds in the cam! Just PARADISE! The guys are so hard at work on both the house and the dock! What a wonderful job they have been doing. DIY DESIGN TEAM YOU HAVE DONE A WONDERFUL WONDERFUL JOB ON THIS PEOPLE CHOICE SELECTIONS!!!! I am so glad there will definately be a dog park no matter what!!! Just awesom!!! I love all the choices and can not decide because of this! Good thing is that no matter what it will be just amazing! Much Love!!! <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Rebecca on March 15, 2013 at 10:40 am
  9. Good Friday to All…The Dock looks so Strong, Sturdy and looks as though it can handle anything that comes its way…..Very impressive! Those 2 Guys are Amazing to structure something like this with a Few Tools, a boat and wheelbarrow….They probably have done this since they were youngsters and learned from their Fathers…The Dock is so interesting and to watched it came alive is just a few weeks is So interesting!!!
    At the end of the Dock I Vision a Vaulted Canopy with seating all around for Fishing or Just hanging out and Enjoying the view…Great place to spend time, relax and Day Dream! Love it<3B) Also love feeding the Birds!!
    AAhhhh What a life!!!!

Jennie/Florida on March 15, 2013 at 12:21 pm
    • OOPS …To watch it "Come" alive!!!

Jennie/Florida on March 15, 2013 at 12:55 pm
    • As long as we dont feed alligators and sharks.

zulumom on March 15, 2013 at 5:51 pm
    • Take my advice, you dont want to feed the birds around a dock, especially a gull. I think you know what I mean.

540sam on March 16, 2013 at 4:16 am
  10. Hi Jennie, sounds very nice! The cam is stuck on panorama view right now :( . I agree the guys are very impressive! Best of Luck!! Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on March 15, 2013 at 1:03 pm