Mar 14

People’s Choice: Vote for Outdoor Living Features

Blog Cabin 2013 Outdoor Features

We’ve arrived at round six of our People’s Choice voting program! Please help us select outdoor features for Blog Cabin 2013, from outdoor seating to fire pit style.

• Posted at 11:19 am on March 3, 2013

1. I love what is going on and all the wonderful choices that have been made so far. I would need two collars but that wouldn't be a problem. The moveable fire pit would be great near the house for entertaining and move to the dock for fishing. Whoever wins will have a great place. Hope it's me lol.

Joy & Spot's Mom on March 14, 2013 at 9:20 pm
  2. Hi Bloggers, Wow, I'm finding this People's Choice more difficult than others. Sometimes I wish DIY would clarify the choices. For instance, the choice of path material depends entirely on where the path is. If in the woods, as shown in one picture, the obvious choice would be pine straw/needles, as that is what is already there. If the path is through the sea grass between the yard's edge and the water's edge, then sand makes the most sense as that is what is there already. If they mean to make a path from the house to the dock or to the driveway, then the stones would be the answer to keeping the feet dry and out of the mud. So I am going to vote for the stone path, and hope that is what they are after. As for the outdoor seating, I would like to have all three. If I were to win the house, I think I could buy and install/place the adirondack chairs and hammock. The benches, however, (since I KNOW that DIY will custom make them, and anchor them in cement so as to not become projectiles in a storm) will be difficult for me to duplicate and install. Therefore, I am voting for the benches. :)

Boo on March 14, 2013 at 9:25 pm
    • I agree with you. The rustic bench would be great and I bet the DIY team would build it from some of the original house's salvaged materials.

Barbara/Virginia on March 15, 2013 at 12:34 am
    • Totally with you with path choices where the path is determine the choice. I am hoping for the stone path leading from the house to dock and a transition to a small sand path through seagrasses.

zulumom on March 15, 2013 at 6:20 am
    • Boo, I agree. I think I'd rather see DIY install the stone path. Maybe the owner can use their own pine needle/sand to make more paths. I think there will be more little paths the owner would create after taking ownership and using resourses at hand.
      I like all the seating options, too. If the Adirondack chairs come out ahead, maybe they'll throw in a rustic bench as a bonus (hint, hint). I mentioned elsewhere that Airondack chairs cost gazillions of $$ in our area, so geography played a role in my vote (for them). And that's an excellent idea about anchoring the bench
      WCG.

Wind Chime Girl on March 15, 2013 at 7:17 pm
    • WCG, Wow, I probably should have researched the Adirondack chairs before commenting. I was thinking the resin ones were not too expensive. The wood ones are probably much more. And yes, I am hoping that they will custom make some benches for the property, even if that choice doesn't win. There was, afterall, plenty of left-over wood from the demolition. And, (off the subject), wouldn't it be nice if DIY decided to do as HGTV did with the Dream Home, Urban Oasis, and Green/Smart Home, and include some extra CASH to satisfy the IRS? It would just be tragic if the winner of this beautiful property were not able to keep it.:(:( Happy Blogging girl. ;) Boo

Boo on March 16, 2013 at 3:46 pm
    • Boo, I'm with you on the cash to go with the total package. I doubt there are many of us bloggers with the financial means to pay the tax "penalty" for winning BC. Plus, property taxes & insurance will be a bit of a surprise to many of us.
      It's been several years since I looked at adirondack chairs, both wood & resin, so I can't say with certainty the difference in costs, I just remember having sticker shock. I walked away, reeling. It's a lawn chair, for crying out loud! But the makers are very proud of them. Then, there are shipping costs. That's why I immediately placed my vote for them, I've always thought them beautiful, comfortable and so classic.
      But I still hope for a rustic bench to make it's way into the scheme, there needs to be at least one somewhere on the property. And hammocks are a given no matter where you have to get one.
      Some of the choices in this vote were, for me, really hard to decide, so many good choices.
      And, Boo, discourse is goooood. That's why we are here!
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 16, 2013 at 9:04 pm
    • A cash component to the prize would be welcome, however, there's no evidence it would result in a winner keeping the house. None of the other houses in the sweepstakes you mention have been kept except one DH. In that case the winner blew through the $1/2 million cash component on lavish parties and never paid his tax until it was too late. He lost everything. The cash means a bigger tax bill. If the house is valued at $3/4 million Fed. income tax on that is about $300,000. A cash award to cover that (and the tax on the cash) would be about $420,000. That's a lot of cash. Another drawback could be that it will be more difficult to argue a FMV for the tax bill as the cash is an instant award and may mean the ARV must be the taxable value. It could get very messy with the IRS and further stress the winner. :S

AnniesOwn on March 16, 2013 at 9:31 pm
    • Annie, Yes, it's truly a bummer. Uncle Sam always gets his! Just curious, where did you find out about this previous DH winner? Let us hope that future winners can, at least, learn from his mistakes. There are, as you say, so many things to consider. o.0Boo

Boo on March 17, 2013 at 10:00 pm
  3. Why is the trapezoid dog park winning? There is shade for the dogs in both arrangements but the square one keeps the dogs away from the neighbor's yard who also might have dogs. The square one also allows your dog(s) into the larger yard closer to the dock where all the activity will be going on.

Barbara/Virginia on March 14, 2013 at 9:31 pm
    • Barbara I think people vote for things that are different but not pratical,or they are cat people and dont like dogs. LOL

540sam on March 15, 2013 at 5:09 am
    • Thanks 540sam. Maybe people think that DIY is going to put the trellis over in he woods?

Barbara/Virginia on March 15, 2013 at 7:47 am
    • Barbara and 54sam, I don't really care about the shape, I would reconfigure it to keep the dog away from the highway and neighbors. Hopefully it would keep my cat in too, but I don't quite know if that is possible. ;-)

karenlin91 on March 15, 2013 at 8:15 am
    • 540sam, now that's just not fair!! LOL!!

Wind Chime Girl on March 15, 2013 at 7:22 pm
    • I actually am picking the trapezium due to the fact that there are more shrubs and bushes for the animals. Dogs love to do their business around the bushes and shrubs. Not only that some love to lay under them. That is why I choose that particular one. It really doesn't matter to me but that is my opionion and actually dogs are my passion. I always think about what they would like and I feel they would like to have more bushes for shade and to do their business. Infact if you read my bloggs you will notice that I have a dream of rescueing several older dogs from the shelter so they will be able to know life outside of a cage and to keep them from being put down just because they are old. I hope who ever wins this paradise dream home will take my dream and do just that! Rescue some older dogs and let them live a wonderful life on this beautiful land. So many dogs get put down just because they are old and won't be adopted. That just really makes me so sad. This is just my opionion! Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on March 15, 2013 at 10:09 am
    • "Old dogs, children and watermellon wine."

540sam on March 17, 2013 at 4:38 am
    • haha you got it 540sam!!! What a wonderful place to to be able to have all 3! Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on March 17, 2013 at 11:53 am
  4. (continued) The fire feature: I chose the column one. I would not want to have to worry about bringing in the fire bowl if a hurricane threatened. For those desiring something portable, you can buy a fire bowl for under a hundred dollars. The pergola/arbor: Again, I guess it depends on where it goes and for what it is being used. If they are planning to replace the current grape arbor (structure only – not grapevine) then I think I would like the white trellis choice. If they are planning an additional arbor elsewhere, then I would like either of the remaining choices, as long as there was seating. I chose the dolphin door knocker simply because I don't think I want to hear that kind of bell when someone is at the door. The bell would be great for the waterside porch to summon guests and family to dinner. Square shape for the pet "fence." Question: Would that work for cats? :D Boo

Boo on March 14, 2013 at 9:44 pm
    • Hi Boo, if you are anywhere upstairs, do you think you will hear the Dolphin Door Knocker all the way down stairs at the front door??? They need to install a Doorbell Ringer for the entire Cottage and use the Door Knocker just for kicks or knocks. LOL but it would be a Cute Little Sea Worthy Ornament!!! :) Have a good evening!

Jennie/Florida on March 14, 2013 at 11:04 pm
    • AGREE!!! Goes for the bell too!xD:p<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 15, 2013 at 1:05 pm
    • Jennie, That works for me! <3:)Boo

Boo on March 15, 2013 at 6:59 pm
    • I like the bell idea so you can use it to call children and adults for lunch or dinner.(it it is similar to the picture). I am sure with all the fun things to do they will be at the little beach, on the dock or relaxing in a hammock under the pergola. (disseminated all over the property). As far a hearing the bell when visitors come my dogs will let me know as soon as a car venture in the long driveway. They won't make it to the bell.

zulumom on March 16, 2013 at 6:32 am
  5. Well I am happy to see my choices are 70% of the other voters.<3 I really love the rustic pergola, a very natural look for our Cozy Cottage by the sea. Those lights are gorgeous and hopefully they will have those exact fixtuers for the cabin. I hope to get more photos posted on my Pintrest tonight. Have a wonderful evening Bloggers and I will see you in the morning. Friday here we come!!!! ;)
    Chris-IN

chris50555 on March 14, 2013 at 10:04 pm
  6. How do you enter to win the cabin?

Robby Adams on March 14, 2013 at 10:31 pm
    • Wait patiently until July 29th then look on this site for instructions. :D

AnniesOwn on March 14, 2013 at 10:37 pm
    • Im not telling. LOL

540sam on March 15, 2013 at 5:11 am
  7. This was really hard to pick what you think everyone else would …so that tells you we all agreed on firepit lololol .. I have so much fun dreaming . I sure miss my Randy as he loved to look at these .Its been 3 months since he passed and it seems he never left when i visit DIY .I am always tellin the chihauhua OOh he would love that and that .lol ..I know one thing .who ever pick that bell on door ..you can answer it too. ;)
    I just want all the blessing in the world to the winner and i pray all the time no worker on these homes are hurt and Mary all the time you spend here you need a vacation. Thanks all for sharing .I really think i could breath easier there but i am stuck in Ohio in a condo .trying to figure out how to mow a acre when summer comes.One thing hubby did not teach me how to do ..riding lawnmower .lolo ,My chichuchiua Rocky would sure love the dog park but i would be force to go to the shelter and retrieve another to enjoy all that . Gl all and me too and Bless all .Count blessings not sheep <3

marylou sakosky on March 14, 2013 at 11:45 pm
    • All of the choices are so beautiful and are extremely hard to decide on. That is what is so great, no matter what is selected will be beautiful! DIY TEAM I LOVE ALL OF THESE CHOICES!!!!!! YOU DID A WONDERFUL JOB!!!! MUCH LOVE!! <3<3

Rebecca on March 15, 2013 at 10:14 am
    • Dear Marylou, I'm sorry I'm getting to you so late and I hope you find this note. It has to be so difficult for you, as you are working on healing from such a terrible loss of your Randy…. You have my deepest, most sincere sympathy! The fact that you are able to talk and write about him and reminisce about you and He sharing your love for your pet Rocky Chihuahua, and enjoying DIY together is very healthy and good for you~~I'm sure you shared wonderful times and memories together! I haven't lost my mate /husband in such a manner, but I know grief very closely. Grieving is a lengthy process, parts of it can pass more quickly than other portions–some parts take years to overcome, I'm afraid! I hope and pray you have, a loving family, church group, friends, someone you can share with or just spend time with and/or say nothing at all, who accepts where you are. When it gets warm and the grass starts growing, perhaps, you can ask one of these I mentioned, who knows how to operate the lawn tractor to teach you. Or hire someone, at least temporarily. Be gentle and patient with yourself, Marylou ~~You are special and God will give you the strength and the love that you carry in your heart and will help you get through this time. Stay with us on the Blog! We have fun, we help and support each other~~and will pray for one another. We are all different with multiple backgrounds and beliefs, but you are welcomed here~~we want to have you join us regularly! :) Perhaps a little distraction can also help during your process of healing and overcoming your Loss and Grief! If you need to talk you may connect with me on Facebook by going to DIY Intensedebate, by clicking my Gravatar DwnSoDwnEaster site. All the best and Comfort from Above! ^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 16, 2013 at 9:57 pm
    • Folks! Bloggies! NOW THIS IS JUST PLAIN WRONG! One of our NEW Bloggers, Marylou Sakosky, has just suffered the death of her partner in life, Randy. Her LOVE shared, according to her post, her love for DIY! I found her post yesterday, and wrote a sincere sympathy post, encouraged her that the Bloggies would welcome and be good for her during this difficult grieving and healing time! Marylou~~ I'm not directing this at you, dear–unfortunately, the blog has a very NEGATIVE person who picks and goes around attacking people's free speech and blogger posts of those bloggers they don't care for–I believe I am one of them, because I stated that I think I now know who the culprit with a negative spirit is. Please forgive that my name and this situation has even touched your post. It should not have. TO YOU, Marylou, My sincere offer still stands! To the "SOURP USS", You have to sleep at night with what you are doing! Only the Creator of the Universe can and will judge you and I do not. :x <3<3<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 17, 2013 at 3:45 pm
    • Hi Marylou, Welcome…I'm So glad you have joined us. I am so Sorry for Your loss..They say time heals all wounds, so in time maybe you will be able to get on with your life and I'm sure your Randy would want that for you too…It's so hard to loose someone that means so much to you, I know, but you do have the Blog Cabin Bloggers and the Cottage to concentrate on and you can Dream along with all of us Dreamers!! We are here for you, if you want to talk..So stay with us and continue to blog and watch as this Cottage is groomed to be The Most Beautiful Blog Cabin ever!! Have a Good Day!!<3:p

Jennie/Florida on March 18, 2013 at 10:11 am
  8. Hey Mary,
    You made me wonder that could anything else would be much better than this!!! Hopefully no, your design is just next to perfection.Beautiful synchronization and arrangement of fire lit.
    Looking forward for more amazing designs.

tree trimming on March 15, 2013 at 2:26 am
    • I agree 100%!!! These choices are amazing!! Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on March 15, 2013 at 10:15 am
  9. WOW, after only one day of voting a little over 25K votes already, all within 100 or so votes, except the mailbox which is 1000 more than any other votes. Are people comming on and just voting on a mailbox?

540sam on March 15, 2013 at 5:52 am
    • Good morning Sam! We figured that when the votes are off like this it is due to some kind of glitch either with the internet, or the voting app. Several times in previous categories, I would go to vote and only one choice would show up. If this ever happens to you, just log off and log back on, and if it still happens, you may have to come back to vote later in the day. It is most likely because so many people are logging on to vote at the same time because we are not able to skip any options.

Shelly313 on March 15, 2013 at 9:11 am
    • Ive never had that problem Shelly, I was just commenting on the disparity on that one particullar item.

540sam on March 15, 2013 at 9:31 am
  10. The outdoor choices are amazing! I can see my husband & I relaxing by the fire pit enjoying retirement in style!

Dawn on March 15, 2013 at 6:20 am
    • Hi Dawn, I think we all can imagine living a wonderful retirement at this beautiful home! It is just sooo amazing. I don't have much luck winning anything but who ever does I hope they will not sell it and enjoy it! Best of luck to you and your family! Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on March 15, 2013 at 10:25 am