Mar 14

People’s Choice: Vote for Outdoor Living Features

Blog Cabin 2013 Outdoor Features

We’ve arrived at round six of our People’s Choice voting program! Please help us select outdoor features for Blog Cabin 2013, from outdoor seating to fire pit style.

• Posted at 11:19 am on March 3, 2013

1. Great Thursday! Great New Choices/decisions! Great Job Blog Cabin Crew! Sure do enjoy it!B)

amberPA on March 14, 2013 at 5:18 pm
  2. For those people asking about Cape Lookout lighthouse and whether it was visible from the cottage go check out the water view of the Cabin Cam. It appears that it's visible just to the left of the centerline of the taller dock piles right on the horizon. I don't think there's any other tall black & white marked object in that direction except the lighthouse. :D

Clive on March 14, 2013 at 5:30 pm
    • Thank you Clive, I have always been looking for it, and never found it…I see it now!

karenlin91 on March 14, 2013 at 5:58 pm
    • Yes! I hoped I wasn't imagining that. Thanks, Clive.

RLD on March 14, 2013 at 8:15 pm
    • The lighthouse is rarely visible from there with the naked eye. You can see the light beam at night. The only way to see the structure during the day is strong binoculars or telescope

Former local on March 15, 2013 at 9:48 am
    • Makes sense…we can only see it by zooming in with the cam.

RLD on March 15, 2013 at 11:41 am
    • Aah! Everytime I get close, the camera refuses to cooperate.

Wind Chime Girl on March 15, 2013 at 6:55 pm
  3. Hi, Another problem:( … the comment page at bottom won't let me go on to next page of comments..
    if there are 50 comments, I can read first page, but none of the others… help, thanx so much!
    Choices are so neat and beautiful! Ethel

Ethel on March 14, 2013 at 5:48 pm
    • Hi Ethel, I would really like to help you but I am not understanding what you are saying…Right now you are on page 1 and when you get to the bottom of this page you will see 1 and 2 so you just click on 2 and that will take you to the next page and so on…..I hope that helps!!!:)

Jennie/Florida on March 14, 2013 at 9:51 pm
  4. Well, we can always move the mailbox to the garden or somewhere and put up a plain ole box up on the highway. I am all for the movable fire. My husband wants to go fishing at o dark thirty, when it's cold, and I want to take the fire down to the water, along with a percolator…best way to go fishing that early ;-) Or just move it around the yard where ever you want it. And I want a hammock, on the dock, and the rustic benches on Jennie's paths, and maybe the other chairs too. And as far as paths go, the pine stuff would be perfect under the trees, and of course the stone has to be in the open places ;-) The rustic pergola does go perfect with the muscadine vines, and I love it with the lights they show in the picture. All of the choices are so good, this place has no way to be anyway but wonderful!!

karenlin91 on March 14, 2013 at 5:48 pm
    • Hi Karen, Did you happen to see those guys measuring the Grapevine area the other day???:p I think it was the day when So many people were there..Maybe they will replace all those rotten post, the guy was measuring further out from the post as if they were going to extend the Arbor out about 3 more feet.
      Wow, I sure hope they will get a Professional Grape grower out there to make sure it's done right..Do you remember who that Guy was that blogged with us and had a Grape orchard? I can't remember, but I went to a website where this guy was showing how to prune the vines and said if they were pruned wrong, the vines wouldn't bare Grapes..Wouldn't that just make a Grown Woman Cry!!! No after dinner Wine :(
      Have a good evening Karen:pB)

Jennie/Florida on March 14, 2013 at 7:03 pm
    • Oh no!! I missed the guys measuring, and like the extending out more. And I don't remember the blogger either. I hope they are VERY careful pruning those vines, that wine would be soooooooo good! Maybe we can bribe them with a bottle? ;-)

karenlin91 on March 14, 2013 at 7:28 pm
  5. I love all the options, even if my picks are not the winners! I'll probably end up splitting my votes!
    Just curious, why does is the trapezod dog park winning? Do pet owners want shade for your pooches? Also, does the horseshoe pit come with a cover? I can see marauding cats use it as a litter box !!!

Lia_M on March 14, 2013 at 6:52 pm
    • Excellent point, Lia! Or, one will have to get a giant litter scoop and keep it handy–wait! Have they invented that yet?xD:p:^_^ Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 14, 2013 at 8:15 pm
    • Very excellent point Lia, and I say that as I sit here looking at my cat, duhhhh. Cover would be a good thing ;-)

karenlin91 on March 14, 2013 at 8:41 pm
    • I haven't seen a single cat on the cam yet and I believe there's plenty of sand all along the seashore if they need it. ;)

However, with all that sandy shore I can't see a big need for a sand pit for horseshoes. The beanbag toss can go anywhere including with you on picnics and camping trips.:)

Happy voting.<3

AnniesOwn on March 14, 2013 at 8:50 pm
    • I've never seen a 'marauding cat' (or any other cat) on the cam yet and there's miles of sandy shore they could use if necessary. ;)

With all that sandy shore I can't see a need for a sand pit for horsesho es. At least the beanbag toss can go anywhere including with you on picnics and camping trips. :)

Happy voting everyone.<3

AnniesOwn on March 14, 2013 at 8:55 pm
    • Yes, Lia, that's why I voted for the trapezoid dog park because it had more shade and I just think that the space looks more interesting. The square area isn't larger, they are both 1/2 acre and use the same system. As for the horseshoe pit, I love playing horseshoes. My sister has one and has not problems with cats and she doesn't even live near the shore!
      BTY, I also applaud the choices this time too! My picks coincide with the people's popular choices, but I love them all!

paperdragon on March 14, 2013 at 9:40 pm
    • Thanks for all the responses everyone!!! I wasn't sure why the trapezoid choice was so popular. And I'm glad to know the winner will be safe from marauding cats!!!!! :)

Lia_M on March 15, 2013 at 6:36 pm
    • Thanks for responding everyone!!!

Lia_M on March 15, 2013 at 6:50 pm
    • Remember the dog park is invisible so an interesting shape is of little importance.

zulumom on March 16, 2013 at 6:26 am
    • He, He… I was thinking that it is a more interesting area to explore from the dog's point of view!

paperdragon on March 16, 2013 at 1:15 pm
    • Well I voted for the square pet area and the bean bag game.

chris50555 on March 14, 2013 at 9:52 pm
    • I am guessing the trapezium shape is winning because people want an area for relaxing without having to worry about little surprises left by the dogs? Personally, if it was mine, I would have the whole property available to the dogs, but maybe not everyone feels the same.

Mimitheminer on March 15, 2013 at 8:02 am
    • I agree completely. My dogs are part of my family and want them to enjoy life. Know all about pooper scopper. Just concerned about safety. Also Jessica is into 24 weeks. Every day is a positive one for babies. Thank you guys for thoughts and prayers. :D <3

bogartandbacall on March 15, 2013 at 8:54 pm
  6. Fantastic!
    A new round of voting!
    Great choices!
    Very creative.
    This Blog Cabin is going to be absolutely amazing!

Lester B. on March 14, 2013 at 7:03 pm
    • They are excellant choices!!! Infact I can't decide because I love them all! Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on March 15, 2013 at 9:50 am
    • I can not wait to see it completed. Like waiting for Christmas Day. I know I love Everything that is going on and being pick.. I too will vote on something and then read why other choice will work better and change my vote. By the way i love pet door and everything they are doing for our pets. Would love to see my dogs J.J>( after Duke university) Golden retriever and my new member rescued dog SaDee. who is beautiful enjoy the bc Maybe? Hopeso!

bogartandbacall on March 15, 2013 at 9:01 pm
  7. I've been on the road all day driving from MI to MN….and now BC is dark. Did anything happen with the dock today?

RLD on March 14, 2013 at 8:18 pm
    • Hi, RLD! Maybe somebody else saw something. I saw a couple guys down near the rt. side of dock–looked like they were methodically checking trusses and I guess the scre ws or other connectors along that side.xD^_^ Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 14, 2013 at 8:39 pm
    • Thanks, Kitty. I'll be "tuning in" first thing in the morning to see if I can see anything new. Probably the only thing left to do is to attached the decking boards, maybe some cross bracing for the tall polls at the end.

RLD on March 15, 2013 at 12:07 am
    • The dock cross members are getting large bolts, to affix them to the pilings. Today (Friday), they are fine tuning everything, making things totally level. You can see the guys using a jack to level everything, before fastening them securely. If you zoom in real close, you will see the heads of the large bolts, plus some of the holes that have just been drilled.

Builder on March 15, 2013 at 8:56 am
    • I forgot to mention that you can also see the large galvanized bolts the are used to attach the side stringers to each posts. One very strong, and secure dock.

Builder on March 15, 2013 at 9:04 am
    • Correction- I meant "that are used" to attach the side stringers.

Builder on March 15, 2013 at 9:06 am
    • HI, BUILDER! I can't thank you enough for your blogging with us! It has been so helpful, as you have educated us and kept us informed of what's happening. We Bloggies love being part of this DIY process and the Blog allows us to "build" vicariously" via our ideas and many visions for the Blog Cabin. Your participation has been a NC treasure and you are a wonderful addition to this Blog! Thanks Again, and God Bless!B)xD^_^ Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 15, 2013 at 12:37 pm
    • Thanks. I hope you realize how much we appreciate the information you provide. It really adds value to the blog.

RLD on March 15, 2013 at 11:43 am
    • Thank you again Builder, you add so much, I hope you know how much we appreciate you ;-)

karenlin91 on March 15, 2013 at 2:23 pm
  8. Love all of the choices except the reclaimed mailbox. :) All the other choices are great no matter which win.

Mason's Nana on March 14, 2013 at 8:20 pm
  9. DIY, great choices! The pet park was a wonderful surprise!! I love the fact our pets are included with our dream home. As a side note, the bean bag toss would be easier for all ages and mobility through-out the landscape. Looking forward to the feedback from fellow bloggers!!!

dona on March 14, 2013 at 9:10 pm
    • My favorite part of this peoples choice is the pet park! I just love it. I did not choose the bean bag though. My family enjoys horsehoes not to mention you need to make pits and do a little more to make the pits than the bean bag game. You can easily just get the bean bag game and play on the grass. Since the pits require work and usually the older people seem to enjoy it, for me it would be great for the DIY Team to make the pits already. Nothing really needs to be done for the bean bag game just get the game which doesn't really cost much. Both are wonderful games for the entire family. You would have something for the young ones and something for the older ones. I certainly would purchase the game bean bag game later for the kids but to have the pits already installed would be best. Just my opinion. Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on March 15, 2013 at 9:59 am
    • Rebecca, I ditto you 100%, let DIY install the pits. It can be quite a job if done correctly.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 15, 2013 at 7:02 pm
  10. I can't seem to find it now, but whoever was talking about hammocks, NC is famous for their hammocks.
    There's:
    Hatteras Hammocks: http://hatterashammocks.com/
    Outer Banks Hammocks: http://www.obxhammocks.com/store/aboutus.html
    Nags Head Hammocks: http://www.nagsheadhammocks.com/

OK, I'm done for the evening. 4 AM comes mighty early.

Dghawk4 on March 14, 2013 at 9:16 pm