Mar 14

People’s Choice: Vote for Outdoor Living Features

Blog Cabin 2013 Outdoor Features

We’ve arrived at round six of our People’s Choice voting program! Please help us select outdoor features for Blog Cabin 2013, from outdoor seating to fire pit style.

• Posted at 11:19 am on March 3, 2013

1. Ha bloggers! Great voting last round. I wish the deck was a diffrent choice. I've voted on every choice but the built in colum, I love the natural ring it goes with everything that we've voted on in the pasted rounds. (NATURAL) I'm hope they put in a clothes line!:)

WE-Z on March 14, 2013 at 1:18 pm
    • I'm with you on the natural ring – it's rustic, permanent and needs no care. I think we could all manage to put up a clothesline ourselves.

Ishmael on March 14, 2013 at 4:49 pm
    • Ha! WE-Z, I'm still trying to get my husband to put in a clothes line. AND a rack for beating my rugs!
      Lots of the old ways are still the best ways.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 14, 2013 at 8:39 pm
  2. SO EXCITED for this round!!

MGYinSC on March 14, 2013 at 1:21 pm
    • Me too!!! Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on March 14, 2013 at 4:10 pm
  3. I wonder how long the copper mail box will stay there if it wins?

540sam on March 14, 2013 at 2:12 pm
    • I was wondering the same thing. With the price of copper sky high, probably not too long, unless it's enclosed in a brick or stone pillar, and even that would be chancey.

Dghawk4 on March 14, 2013 at 3:38 pm
    • Doesn't copper turn green? I was surprised it is ahead. Plus it might get stolen.

vicki_in_Utah on March 14, 2013 at 3:58 pm
    • Unfortunatly thats how the voting goes when people dont think befor they vote.

540sam on March 14, 2013 at 4:10 pm
    • The patina of aging copper is one of the reasons it's been used for centuries. I'm sorry to see so many people concerned that their new neighbors might swipe their mailbox. Copper for me – now how about a matching weathervane for the top of the cupola?

Ishmael on March 14, 2013 at 4:52 pm
    • That's one of the beautiful things about copper, the patina!

karenlin91 on March 14, 2013 at 5:51 pm
    • The new neighbors are my least concern. I'm sure they are wonderful people. It's the ones that are stealing it out of vacant houses, as well as the copper tubing out of outside AC units. A mailbox by the road at the end of a fairly long driveway would be very tempting.

Dghawk4 on March 14, 2013 at 6:58 pm
    • Amen to that! At the end of a fairly long driveway, on a public highway with probably quite a bit of traffic.

karenlin91 on March 14, 2013 at 7:22 pm
    • Exactly. Not one post has even hinted, nor suggested that neighbors might take it. When I suggested the possibility, I simply was basing it on news of police reports of a growing trend, about which we all need to be cautious about, because of the rising value of this beautiful metal. I think Ishmael's idea for a weather vane on the cupola is awesome.B):D^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 14, 2013 at 7:50 pm
    • Crime reports from Cartaret county indicate an extremely low crime rate. Most crime is seasonal. With tourism there can come other things both good and bad.

PeterNC on March 14, 2013 at 8:02 pm
    • Thank you, PeterNC! Personally, since I collect copper, the temptation for me is huge! It is SO heartening to know the crime rate is low in Carteret County! That's wonderful! Someone will be very lucky and blessed to win this beautiful property!xD^_^ Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 14, 2013 at 8:34 pm
    • Miss Kitty,
      Are you saying the temptation for you to "collect" that copper mailbox would be high?:p

Windsmurf on March 15, 2013 at 12:31 pm
    • LOL! :D Windsmurf that's a GOOD one! I didn't think of how what I wrote would sound! It was suggested that the copper mailbox would make a good breadbox–I thought that might be a cool idea… I have copper pots & pans hanging in my kitchen. And, yes, because it is copper, I'm voting for it–with a bit of trepidation, because the mailbox is on a thoroughfare and one just never knows…. Sadly, for example, people who are ad dicted use rs often find themselves desperate and will take anything to feed their need. I had a relative who did that. It can be tragic and desperate.:( :D But you are too funny–thanks–you got me on that one! xD:p;)<3

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 15, 2013 at 4:45 pm
    • All fun to read! Enjoying your posts and the humor. Just thought that the copper mailbox was (by the way, my choice too)attached to the front siding at the door, like the same one pictured in Pottery Barn Catalog. I've been hinting for one for a gift for years here at my house, since the postman said he would come down our gravel road which is part of our landlord's property, to our cottage if we had a box. Evidently, they are not able to hand
      deliver, as they used to… Does anyone else see it installed that way? Maybe that would solve the "temptations" we might face. LOL, Trish

Trish on March 18, 2013 at 4:07 pm
    • Oh, Windsmurf got me big, and How, on that one!!!:$ I do love the soft glow of copper and have lots of it hanging in my country kitchen. Appears to be a landslide winner, but I still have trepidation about leaving it up front. Somebody suggested bricking it in, but that defeats the purpose, I think. Boo suggested using it as a breadbox–thought that was brilliant. More copper in my kitchen–should I win–now that IS a long shot! Good luck to you, Trish!xD^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 18, 2013 at 4:31 pm
    • That's way good! And it really isn't about the neighbors. I think it's about the highway, and tourists making trips along it. I live in Sacramento, and any recycling place you take anything to has to keep track of it..People still copper out of street lights, empty houses, exposed a/cs, where ever. I hate to admit it, I live in a good neighborhood, mostly, but my street has a "bad boy "neighbor that was arrested for stealing from an empty business, did some time, and was dumb enough to go back and do it all over again..he doesn't steal from neighbors, but I wouldn't trust him on that highway ;-)

karenlin91 on March 14, 2013 at 8:37 pm
    • I figured as much. Thanks for the info, PeterNC. Crime always seems to be lower in rural areas, not because the population is lower, but I think the residents of the smaller rural communities are a closer knit group watching out for each other, and there is a higher moral code among all. I grew up in a small town, and I was even afraid to skip school because I knew someone would see me and tell my parents! I don't think I could ever live in a city. That's why I live in the middle of 5 acres.

Dghawk4 on March 14, 2013 at 8:57 pm
    • A cemetery in So Calif, only alowed copper headstones back in the day, now they have all been stolen, including my grandparents and siblings. So I am not voting for a copper mail box, unless it is fake. Plus 1,000 of people will know where this mail box is.

vicki_in_Utah on March 14, 2013 at 9:09 pm
    • It probably wont be a neighbor.

540sam on March 15, 2013 at 4:03 am
    • Where we work we do not have street lights because the have stolen the copper wire so I would vote for any of the other mail boxes but then again I think all mail boxes would fit in.

Lettucefields on March 14, 2013 at 7:00 pm
    • I guess that is a concern, but I love the look and I'm willing to take a chance. :)
      I actually loved all the mailbox options, even people's least choice of reclaimed

Lia_M on March 14, 2013 at 7:02 pm
    • The copper mailbox should be fine. Husband & I talked about that being a target for theft. And it may be. But most people don't look at mailboxes as a source for copper. It will verdigris beautifully in the salt air, and with a little chemical help, even faster. (I have an easy recipe for anyone who wants it).
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 14, 2013 at 8:50 pm
    • I did think about the risk of theft but I think the copper is beutiful and much more durable. If you're thinking of crime then the other 2 mailboxes are more likely to be vandalized by being struck by a bat from a passing car for of kids out for kicks because they look so unique in shape.

Barbara/Virginia on March 14, 2013 at 10:01 pm
    • I'm thinking I'll just put an alarm on it, so the copper thieves should beware. What a great voting choice this time, I'm pretty OK with it all. NOTHING would keep me from accepting this beautiful gift no matter which choices win, huh?

americangram on March 18, 2013 at 4:50 pm
    • We recently cleaned out the crawl space under our house which included some leftover copper pipes and a SS sink. I took them outside and put them behind my car in the driveway, preparing to load them into my car to take them to a salvage recycling yard. Someone came up onto the driveway and stole all of it the next day. There are opportunists around every corner. I wasn't even thinking about that when I voted for the copper mailbox. It will most definately be stolen unless it's mounted with a bunch of inaccessible hidden screws on a very sturdy post. Guess I'll be changing my vote!

simplebynature on March 21, 2013 at 1:01 pm
  4. Yeah!!!! Great round this time, all my choices are winning so far except the Outdoor Shower and I chose the Traditional one because it had a Roof and looked more Solid and Secure in case of windstorms…I liked the Rustic one But looks as though it could be blown down with a few strong winds…
    It was good to see "Our Past Blog Cabins" from Susan,Virginia and Bethel, NY, showing off their Styles of Firepit…Good Memories!!
    Lot of good things this Round…No Fish cleaning station up for votes..I think the Winner will have to build their Own, "if" they're a fishing Family! The Pergola was really nice but was not shown as a "Carport." But If it should win, depending on the location on the property, it could be turned into a parking place for one Car..just a thought!..I voted for the Wood with Trellis sitting area because it looked so Cozy and had lattice which reminded of "Our"other little Cottage Porch!! <3:) It's a Beautiful Day at the Cottage but Chilly for the hard working Crew!!! Brrrr
    "Everything is Coming up like Roses"….I Love this Cottage and Everything about it..Have A Happy Day Everyone! <3:pB)

Jennie/Florida on March 14, 2013 at 2:57 pm
    • Jennie, I agree with you on the traditional shower..has a little more privacy, too!:*:)

Maria on March 14, 2013 at 4:31 pm
    • Not a good idea for the pergola. Birds love pergolas and have very active digestive systems.

Ishmael on March 14, 2013 at 4:53 pm
    • A roof? To keep you from getting wet while showering in the rain? A roofless shower allows the sunshine in and gives the birds and spiders less places to take up housekeeping.

Ishmael on March 14, 2013 at 4:56 pm
    • Ishmael, did you read all of the Reason for my choosing the traditional shower, I also said it looked more Solid and Secure for windstorms!!! It does look as though the roof will open up for sun to come in if you choose to…What is the matter with a little privacy when Someone is taking a shower!!! If they install the shower over close to the Mud Room and the Powder room, when the Owners have Company that shower could be used by the guest and would serve as a third full Bathroom……What is wrong with that???

Jennie/Florida on March 14, 2013 at 5:30 pm
    • The shower that was put in at the VA BC always bothered me as it looked like people in the house could look down into it. So I have been voting for the traditional shower.

vicki_in_Utah on March 14, 2013 at 9:24 pm
    • Vicki,
      I know I had questioned that at the time. They never did addressed that issue?:( Who builds a shower under a window? I agree I do not want anyone looking in on me and I want something strong.Very strange. I am voting for the traditional also.

ruffybc on March 19, 2013 at 9:51 am
    • ruffybc, as awsome as that shower was, I loved the floor, it just was crazy not to have a roof, and to be under a window like you said. I sure wish the traditional was doing better in the voting.

vicki_in_Utah on March 19, 2013 at 10:25 am
    • Hi, Jen. The picture they have for the rustic shower is the one at the Mathews BC. Does that change your mind now? Besides, no matter which shower they build, I'm sure they have taken wind into consideration and the corner posts will be in concrete or at least secured to concrete.

Dghawk4 on March 14, 2013 at 6:46 pm
    • Hi Dottie, YOUR Kidding!!! You know I looked at that Shower and was anxious to get to the next ones, so I totally didn't recognize "Our" one of a Kind Shower!!! I really liked that shower. The workmanship was tops and the floor was so beautiful, Sooo I guess I will have to change my vote…Thank you Dottie!! <3:p
      I remember how worried We were that the Hurricane was going to blow the Shower away and flood the whole property? After the Hurricane was gone we were looking on the side of the shower to estimate how high the water came up to the Twin Coves…Love that Place… Do you happen to know what Hurricane that was? It was scary for the Twin Coves. No Storage either remember? Did they store it all in the BC? I Can't remember!….Good times with that BC too!!!:p<3

Jennie/Florida on March 14, 2013 at 7:55 pm
    • That was hurricane Irene. Yeah, I won't forget that. I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Richmond…….on the 8th foor……no power…..and all the stairwells led to the outside! I hope I don't have to go through THAT again! Not the storm….. but that stupid hotel!!!!o.0:p=/xD

Dghawk4 on March 14, 2013 at 8:33 pm
    • I remember that Dghawk4, we were all worried about you. I laughed so hard at your comment about only taking 1 bottel of wine. I think I remember them saying that the realestate lady came and took some of the outdoor things for safe keeping until after the storm.

vicki_in_Utah on March 14, 2013 at 9:28 pm
    • I like the traditional shower too! Not just privacy,which is great, but because it's next to the house and I like the white surface, matching the trim on the house.

Lia_M on March 14, 2013 at 6:59 pm
    • I am just happy we will have the outdoor shower I am not sure which I love the best. I am certain this one will be unique, roomy, practical and beautiful. Now about that screened in porch it seems the new owner might have to screen his own and build a garage.

zulumom on March 15, 2013 at 6:28 am
  5. As with everyone else, I am SOOOO excited about this round. Most everything I voted for is in the lead…I wanted the hammock–I can get Adirondack chairs anywhere—I live 2 1/2 hours away from the Adirondack Mountains…
    Of course I can get the hammock any where, also, but anyway…GREAT CHOICES!!!!

Tisha

TishaStanley on March 14, 2013 at 3:00 pm
    • Too funny Tisha!! I voted for the rustic bench because I thought in NC you can buy "Adirondack chairs anywhere"!! Of course if you need to replace one, it would be really easy. :)

Lia_M on March 14, 2013 at 6:56 pm
    • I rationalized my vote here, LOL! Hammock=less expensive and easy to carry/move.I can buy. Love the rustic bench=heavy and gotta store in event of storm, plus not as comfy for sitting out and relaxing–yet, would be awesome, along a pathway or pergola (can you tell I'm having trouble here???); Adirondack chairs may be plentiful and less costly up North, but if a storm warning is issued, they may be a bit easier to move. DIY may give MORE of them and the cost will= higher, so I figure more bang for the Winner. So I defaulted there. If I happen to win, there will be 2 hammocks, which I'll buy, along probably, with 2 really cool rustic benches. And I'll add these to the at least 4 Adirondack chairs gifted by DIY!!! LOL! :p;)<3^_^ Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 14, 2013 at 8:12 pm
    • The rustic bench didn't look very comfortable to me, I can get a hammock anywhere & I don't live anywhere close to the Adirondack Mts. To get those chairs around here, they are very costly. So, geography plays a large part in the voting.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 14, 2013 at 9:07 pm
    • I didn't mean to upset anyone (WCG) . I agree that the rustic bench didn't look very comfortable. I did vote for the hammock but I am torn with the Adirondack chair. They are costly, even here.

TishaStanley on March 14, 2013 at 9:41 pm
    • Okay- but if you win, you should purchase the hammocks from "The North Carolina Hammock Company"!! Just kidding! They are all lovely and we get to vote our own preferences!!! :) :)

Lia_M on March 14, 2013 at 10:24 pm
    • Tisha, you WAY did not upset me. I don't know why you thought that, but – no. Oh, my, no! I'm merely commenting like everyone else. I'm rationalizing, like a lot of others – get the most for BC. I'm figuring the A. chairs (plural) come out better in the long run for the winner. I've looked at the really "pricey" hammocks and looked at them closely. After experiencing several, I discovered that all hammocks feel wonderful to loll in. Even the cheap ones. But, I've never seen a cheap A. chair!
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 15, 2013 at 1:38 am
    • I'm sorry…I was stressed a little last night, and thought that if I could "get away" and read some these comments, which seems to make me feel better, I could get back to what I was doing…so I may have misread….

Thinking about it, one would probably get more "A" chairs than hammocks, so that would be the better choice. Yes, I would buy one from NC Hammocks…

TishaStanley on March 15, 2013 at 6:23 am
  6. Whooo Hooo! New pickin's! Thank You for putting this up!

Grammagail on March 14, 2013 at 3:57 pm
  7. I have to say this is definately my favorite peoples choice vote! The fact that there is a dog park and it will have an invisible fence to cover 1/2 acre is so awesome. You can definately rescue several dogs with this much land and to have a seperate area especially for them is amazing. Thank you DIY for thinking about the animals. The house seems to be coming along too not to mention the dock! I am also amazed there will be an outside shower to. Designers you guys really out did yourself with this one!!! Much Love to you guys!! <3<3

Rebecca on March 14, 2013 at 3:57 pm
  8. Jennie…agree with you and allows a little more privacy!<3:)

Maria on March 14, 2013 at 4:29 pm
    • Oops! Meant this for that traditional outdoor shower!! Love all the options and tough to choose!! Thanks DIY!!:p<3

Maria on March 14, 2013 at 4:40 pm
  9. Thanks for offering us more things to vote on for the Blog Cabin.

dreamn_again on March 14, 2013 at 4:44 pm
  10. As usual, all the choices are winners. Personally I go for the free standing fire pit because the other two designs have already been used in previous blog cabins and I would like to see how they install something different. The same goes for the shower. We had the rustic design in 2011 (the image is of that shower) and it was great, especially the custom glass floor. Also, we know it can stand up to a hurricane ^_^ . This time I prefer the 'traditional' style just for a change. :)

Interesting that there was nothing on the dock up for voting. I do hope they put in power and a boat lift otherwise it's a long way to jump in and out of a boat. .xD

Clive on March 14, 2013 at 5:05 pm
    • It looks like the dock sits pretty low, hopefully it would be easy enough to get in and out of a boat. I keep trying to figure out how to get the boat down to the dock though? Maybe work out a deal with the neighbors with the canal, drive down to the water from the driveway?….something to figure out later I guess ;-)

karenlin91 on March 14, 2013 at 7:31 pm
    • If you planned to leave it in the water all season, trailer it to a local marina, sail/drive it to your own dock and leave it in there until the winter or until a major storm comes by, then sail/drive it back top the marina and haul it out onto your trailer and drive it home.

Windsmurf on March 15, 2013 at 12:51 pm
    • Thanks, makes sense and it's always there waiting . ;-)

karenlin91 on March 15, 2013 at 2:22 pm
    • You can't leave boats in the water moored to a pier on water like this. Even overnight is risky. Either anchor offshore and swim, wade or use a tender to come ashore or moor at the marina in Atlantic and walk, cycle or drive back to the cottage. Boats moored at piers will quickly be damaged and can inflict serious damage to piers also.:)

Clive on March 15, 2013 at 3:00 pm
    • Very true Clive, I have owned boats for many years and my larger ones were not trailerable and left in the water. I have been through at least 6 hurricanes without damage to boat or pier and all in water exactly like this. Most people this happens to are inexperienced. I remember after one storm we sat and watched unmaned boats going by with the tide. We lost count.

540sam on March 15, 2013 at 3:43 pm
    • Not sure where this is coming from, but coming from a coastal area, there are boats at docks like this all over the place. The most common solution is using a section of floating dock attached to the stationary one with a hinged ramp connecting the two. Less involved is just using an extra set of pilings away from the dock with the boat tied up between.

Ishmael on March 15, 2013 at 5:27 pm
    • I believe it's coming from locals who actually know this piece of coast. If you don't believe them look at the satellite images. No floating docks and no boats moored at piers except in marinas. Plernty of boat hoists on simple piers though. :)

Ally on March 16, 2013 at 2:30 pm
    • The dock decking will be at least 4 ft above water,maybe a little less at high tide. There will need to ba a ladder for safe boat embarking. That should be easy and inexpensive for the winner even if it's not included in the package.:) Also neeed a ladder for swimmers to get out unles they have to swim to shore.

Clive on March 15, 2013 at 2:51 pm
    • I looked again, and started thinking ladder. -). Also rethinking leaving the boat there all the time. Something to figure out later ;-)

karenlin91 on March 15, 2013 at 4:43 pm
    • How generic are boat lifts? I'm thinking that the lift used may be dependent on boat width and weight. I guess that will be something I'll have to put in myself!

RLD on March 15, 2013 at 12:12 am
    • Boat lifts can be fairly expensive. Maybe the DIY team wanted to put the money in another area.

Barbara/Virginia on March 15, 2013 at 12:38 am
    • Boat lifts aren't generic in that one size can't fit all. Hwever, they are built for a range od sizes. Given the small size of the pier and the relatively shallow water only a smallish (probably less than 20 ft with no more than an 18 inch draft) boat will be able to use it.:)

FYI if you look at aerial images of all the Core Sound many have boat lifts and nne have floating docks. As a local has already blogged, floating docks don't work on these coastal sounds due to wave and current action. o.0

Clive on March 15, 2013 at 2:56 pm