Mar 14

People’s Choice: Vote for Outdoor Living Features

Blog Cabin 2013 Outdoor Features

We’ve arrived at round six of our People’s Choice voting program! Please help us select outdoor features for Blog Cabin 2013, from outdoor seating to fire pit style.

• Posted at 11:19 am on March 3, 2013

1. Bloggers we all know the BC is in a beautiful location, one ripe for enjoying the beauty of nature! Those of us blogging that have visited the area also know it's ripe with history and a great starting point for many awesome fun filled and family friendly destinations.
    Just how close is the BC to some of the dreamiest locations of the SOBX, and OBX ? It's 33.3 miles from the Cape Lookout Lighthouse. 26.9 miles from the wild Spanish mustangs of Shackleford Banks. 38.2 miles from Fort Macon State Park, the most visited State park in NC. Walking The Elizabethan Gardens, or watching the outdoor drama, The Lost Colony, can all be done in beautiful Manteo, 198 miles from the BC.
    Feel like a ferry ride? It's 35.6 miles to Ocracoke–remember to put an – O – in front of your – I's – and everyone will think you're a local, practice this example: hOi tOide tonOight on the Oisland…….
    The Wright Brothers National Memorial is 212 miles away, showcasing the first powered controlled flight in 1903. Nags Head, NC will delight you with the Bodie Island Lighthouse & Jockey's Ridge State Park, 203 miles away. Feel like another ferry ride and visiting another National Seashore, head to America's lighthouse, Hatteras on Hatteras National Seashore, a little less than 60 miles away.
    Can't find any alligators on the Core Sound? Head to the Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge you should find some there along with black bears and red wolves, 186 miles from the BC.
    The SOBX & OBX offer an amazing assortment of great activities, these are just a few! The latest round of voting offers yet another great option, just staying at home and enjoying "living the good life in your own yard"!

Mel on March 17, 2013 at 1:56 pm
    • :) Mel, that was SOOOOOO educational and entertaining as well!!! :D Insofar as your last paragraph, I think I shall skip the part, looking for alligators… Don't care to run into any of those…..=/<3;) Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 17, 2013 at 3:10 pm
    • Thanks Kitty!
      The most alligators I have ever seen at one time was at the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta….they really had lots of them. I especially liked that they were behind a thick plate of glass in an exhibit.
      We have them at the NC Zoo in Asheboro too, along with lions, elephants, zebra, giraffe, etc…..I have never seen one in the wild at the SOBX or OBX or heard of them living in the wild in those areas, thankfully.

Mel on March 17, 2013 at 4:16 pm
    • Hi, Mel! When i was a kid, living in FL, lots of people had pet alligators. Go figure that one–to me, no different than people who have big-to-be pet pythons and other constrictors. Being a PK (preacher's kid) I was sometimes given gifts and somebody tried to give me a baby alligator, someone else did the same with 2 python babies. Well, thankfully i was a smart kid and I politely told both nice folks, that I could not accept those thoughtful gifts, because i would soon be returning to Brasil and would not be able to take them with me on the airplane (true!) LOL! Whew! Got out of those fast!;):p:*<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 17, 2013 at 5:46 pm
    • Mel, Thank you for the information. There are lots of wonderful things to do to live the good life in your own backyard, many are free or low cost. Visiting the local Chamber of Commerce usually has this information. Becky :) <3

bythebaydreamer on March 17, 2013 at 4:15 pm
    • Becky when I bring up "living the good life" in reference to the SOBX & OBX my husband brings up fishing. He is from the NC coast, and grew up close to the Pamlico Sound. His school field trips were made to the OBX, so he associates some of the places I referenced as "educational" along with being places of natural beauty. I grew up vacationing to some of these places, especially Manteo, which my mother absolutely adored.
      Whoever wins the BC will really be blessed with a wonderful spot to enjoy a large variety of activities.

Mel on March 17, 2013 at 4:54 pm
    • It sounds like a wonderful place to grow up. I love to hear about it. No doubt that the winner of the blog cabin will be very blessed! Becky:)<3

bythebaydreamer on March 17, 2013 at 5:27 pm
    • wow, mel! thanks for the legwork. Out of all the BCs this one is my all time favorite. So much to do, places to go and then you get to come back to that acre of awesomeness! The history.The choices you get to choose from are all great. They have made it hard to make a choice. NC is a most beautiful place with wonderful people. Good luck to all!

sway65 on March 17, 2013 at 4:55 pm
    • Sway65 you are certainly right about the history! NC history and American. From the Lost Colony and the birth of the first English child in America, Virgina Dare on Roanoke Island, to the legend of Blackbeard the pirate and his home on Ocracoke. And it was at the OBX in Dare county where the "first, powered, controlled, heavier than air airplane" would be flown by the Wright Brothers.
      The winner of the BC as they explore the area will find lots of great history, and ways this history is honored, from a OBX humpback bridge named Virginia Dare to an outdoor drama that tells the story of The Lost Colony. Really whoever wins this home is going to be very blessed!

Mel on March 17, 2013 at 5:22 pm
    • Thank you Mel, information like this just makes the whole are sound better and better, and better some more ;-)

karenlin91 on March 17, 2013 at 6:51 pm
    • makes the area sound better too. ;-)

karenlin91 on March 17, 2013 at 9:25 pm
    • Mel, also, there is a lot of pirate history along the coast….Blackbeard was known to frequent these waters…His ship, Queen Anne's Revenge, was deliberately grounded off Beaufort, NC near Morehead city… Ahoy Mates!!!o.0:)

Maria on March 17, 2013 at 8:54 pm
    • Land ho, Maria! Wait till we have another Pirate party, grog n' all ! anybody ready??? Spring's coming! xD :p;):D<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 17, 2013 at 9:03 pm
    • Mel, you have summed up everything in one nice little blog entry! Love the advice on talking like a local…or should I say advOice on talking lOike a local?…lol And I am with Kitty…not much interested in looking for alligators!!! YIKES! :S:D

Shelly313 on March 18, 2013 at 1:27 pm
  2. Happy St Patrick's Day Everyone!

karenlin91 on March 17, 2013 at 3:05 pm
    • Thanks–and back at you, Karenlin!xD:D<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 17, 2013 at 4:43 pm
  3. Good luck and best wishes to all fellow bloggers! May one of us find our rainbow and pot of gold leading us to to the Blog Cabin!! Love all the feedback and info. you are sending on the choices…. although some not mine. My family and I would love and appreciate the chance to live at this address.

dona on March 17, 2013 at 5:32 pm
    • Don't blame you one bit, Dona! Good luck!xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 17, 2013 at 5:40 pm
    • How do we know "the address"? I am so excited to read about the distances involved, but I am curious to know exactly where the BC is… I thought the description read, Atlantic, NC? Was I wrong? Is it Atlantic Beach? For me, the distance to see my daughters and grandchildren in Wilmington is the important one, for I know they will be coming to see me often ;=).

BrookwoodCarolina on March 17, 2013 at 6:23 pm
    • 448 Seashore Drive Atlantic NC

Builder on March 17, 2013 at 6:34 pm
    • Again. Builder, I must thank you for being so faithful to blog with us, to educate us and for building and coordinating this beautiful effort and sweepstakes by DIY TV Network! You're the BEST!!! xDB)^_^ Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 17, 2013 at 7:29 pm
    • I know that when I looked on the map for NC, I looked at Core Sound, and it's 2 hours from Wilmington–which is where my youngest brother lives, it's also 2 hours away from Laurinburg–which is where my youngest daughter attends college…I don't know the address to this beautiful cabin but somewhere I thought it was Core Sound in/on Atlantic, NC…just for the record, I didn't do well in geography,,,LOL

Tisha

TishaStanley on March 17, 2013 at 8:51 pm
    • Hi Dona! I know what you mean. I person would be crazy not to want to live at the BC I describe and paradise! haha Best of luck to you! Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on March 18, 2013 at 9:22 am
  4. Hi fellow DIY'ers and Bloggers, just a belated comment since we are voting on the outdoor spaces… has anyone besides me grown to love that Web Cam? I was thinking that the BC team will probably have some security system for the dear cottage… and since the camera is already installed, might it be re-programmed for the new owners? I think it would be a wonderful way to keep the family connected and a great addition to the security system. But maybe I am over thinking–again? Surely whoever wins will be the luckiest of us all, but only one can win. I'll miss the bloggers this year. I can't wait to see the finished cottage. It really IS a dream come true for someone. Good luck ALL.

BrookwoodCarolina on March 17, 2013 at 6:31 pm
    • And the best back to you ! I enjoy the cam too. learning how to move around a lot better thanks to some very kind bloggers sharing on here.<3 Lots of fun. ;) Have a good night everyone. <3

Nan on March 17, 2013 at 8:31 pm
    • Hi Brookwood! I do love panning around the BC. It is just such a beautiful place it puts you in great spirits. Best of Luck to you and everyone! Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on March 18, 2013 at 9:19 am
  5. Good night, everyone!! "See" you tomorrow…

Tisha

TishaStanley on March 17, 2013 at 8:52 pm
    • Night, Tisha! Sweet dreams of BC!xD^_^ Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 17, 2013 at 9:05 pm
    • Night Tisha

karenlin91 on March 17, 2013 at 9:24 pm
    • Good Night to you.

bythebaydreamer on March 17, 2013 at 10:36 pm
  6. Good morning, Everyone! For some unexplained reason, I am up very early. I looked in at the cabin and it seems to be foggy this morning. I guess I'm trying to see a sunrise since I do catch some of the sunsets…

Enjoy the day!!

Tisha

TishaStanley on March 18, 2013 at 6:51 am
    • Hi Tisha! Yes it is a bit foggy this morning. It has been for a couple days. It is one of those days you picture yourself getting up with a nice cup of hot tea, sitting on the porch and asking your grandchild how far they can see looking out at the water. haha I still am in awww of this beautiful house surrounded by natures beauty. Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on March 18, 2013 at 9:16 am
    • Rebecca, you are a mind reader…LOL…I had been picturing myself sitting out on the porch, with coffee, rather than tea, and just gazing out. My grand child, however, would want to know why we aren't in the water yet…This is absolutely a beautiful house, and no matter who wins it, it will be a loved and cherished home for many years! I do drink tea, but usually it's in the evening, and I think I'm addicted to Chai Latte.

TishaStanley on March 18, 2013 at 10:44 am
  7. They have just pulled the sky track out of the mud this morning.

NancyBee on March 18, 2013 at 8:41 am
    • I missed it….I had been telling my husband that it was stuck and since he's now at work, I was going to show him later..I guess that won't happen now…LOL

TishaStanley on March 18, 2013 at 10:45 am
  8. Is anyone else having trouble with the VOTE AGAIN button? I have to go back to the home page each time. I like the rustic pergola, but I'm worried about the bugs (bees, spiders and wasps) it will attract in the hot summer months.

rsl73 on March 18, 2013 at 8:48 am
  9. Good morning guys, how is everyone doing? Looks like a nice day at the BC. A little foggy but 51 degrees is not bad. I see the guys are hard at work as usual. Things are moving right along. Maybe we will get another sign or hint soon. haha Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on March 18, 2013 at 9:11 am
    • Good morning back to you and all the bloggers! Fun to see the actual work on the cabin as it happens. I am not usually on here this early. 51 degrees is OK with me. We are expecting a little snow again. But, Spring is on the way! <3 Had to take a quick look. Anxoius to see the landscaping as it happens. Sure hope the camer allows us to see it. It is great to watch everything. Getting a little better moving and seeing the site thanks to some of you. Have a happy great day and enjoy the cabin !;) ;)

Nan on March 18, 2013 at 9:44 am
  10. Glad to see everyone this morning,I tried to get on Sunday and it just kept saying the page was not available. So glad it is working today.

No one woring on the dock today, the plywood is gone. They sure clean the yard up nice.

vicki_in_Utah on March 18, 2013 at 9:38 am