Mar 5

Blog Cabin’s Renovation History

Additions made to Blog Cabin 2013

Today, I’d like to share a new article posted in our Remodeling of Blog Cabin 2013 package on HGTVRemodels.com. It’s all about additions made to the original Blog Cabin 2013 structure. Project manager Dylan Eastman and his team uncovered six separate renovations as they opened up walls, examined window frames and took a look at shingles and building materials. Even the age of nails helped the team separate original structure from add-on.

Read all about it here and then post comments below.

Note to bloggers: Zoom in on the grape arbor in the Cabin Cam.

• Posted at 12:50 pm on March 3, 2013

1. No sunset over the water tonight. It looks like it rained and is still a bit cloudy….

TishaStanley on March 6, 2013 at 6:59 pm
  2. Well I tried and tried but I could not come up with any negative point about the BC or the area. I love it more and more each time I see it. Couple questions: can you put swing set'playarea for grandson? Any snakes, alligators etc, around home alot? and the win-tax 2oo-+ how can it be paid on limited income. I would like to call this home and not sell. I agree to comments made to peterjohn-don't like it don't ruin it for everyone else, Agree everyone has opion but unhappy about it don't be a part of it.

bogartandbacall on March 6, 2013 at 7:31 pm
    • I agree with you…if you don't like it, don't ruin it for those of us who do!!! I, too, would like to live there and not sell, and I wondered about snakes. I don't think there are alligators though, too much ocean…but since I have a brother who lives in NC, I could ask him.

TishaStanley on March 6, 2013 at 9:03 pm
    • I would love for you to ask your brother and get any/all info you can. with the home we say "we seen the window dressing"-and love it-now we need to see inside(info re;home) does any one know about playyard for kids or about how to go about with winning taxes. I seen someone has come up with ins. there was something about FEMA and that everyone required to have flood ins. lots to learn in getting prepared to win home-haha. but i still am very interested in winning and hoping and praying. bottom line good luck everyone:D;)

bogartandbacall on March 7, 2013 at 5:15 pm
    • As soon as I can get my brother to answer his phone, I'll ask him. I haven't heard anything about a play yard. From what I could see on Google maps, Wilmington, NC is about 75-80 miles away from our beloved BC, but I think my brother can give us some info…

TishaStanley on March 7, 2013 at 5:27 pm
    • I don't think either you or bogartandbacall deserved the negative thumbs downs for your comments, but I suspect they came from someone who also gave them to me for my effort to explain hew we can become friendly on a blog by not being so adversary with our statments. Oh well–i know my heart was in the right place, some people jump to conclusions… Tisha, In case you haven't yet reached your Brother in NC, I live in SE Virginia on the NC border. Also, We've had some earlier input from the former resident and other neighbors of the BC. There are snakes, including poisonous. There are also alligators. Bogartandbacall, I'm the one who posted the NC NEWS about the insurance being raised. The report actually stated that homeowners' insurance in Carteret County, where BC is, will be rising 19.8% this year! That is a lot–and that did not include the Federal Flood insurance Program! Whoever wins this beautiful cabin will have to have good income just to keep up with tax and insurance, not counting any mortgage–sad, but true… Good luck to you both!!! :D <3<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 7, 2013 at 8:27 pm
    • Someone does not care for me at all on this blog, which is OK and your right. It would be helpful to know why, because If I have ever done any thing to offend or hurt you I need to make that right with you. I really don't want to have any hard feelings standing in the way of friendship–I have NO hard feeling, but someone has them for me. whatever it is, please can we work it out, before God and Mankind??? God Bless you!:o<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 7, 2013 at 9:32 pm
    • Kitty, I've asked that same question but the "thumbs down" seem to be cowards and won't explain. I've given all the above comments the "up", that's all I can do.
      I hate it that people will give opinions the "down" sign w/o explanation. Afterall, it's just opinion. I say, thumbs up if you agree, leave it alone if you don't. If it's just truly something horrible, whatever.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 7, 2013 at 11:32 pm
    • ^_^<3<3 You are very thoughtful WCG! Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 8, 2013 at 12:01 pm
    • Sounds like a good way to handle the thumbs up/down, WCG.

RLD on March 8, 2013 at 6:02 pm
    • I don't think it is you Kitty. I really think it is probably a kid or something because I have seen it so many times and the post has been nothing but positive so there wasn't a reason for the thumbs down. I just ignore it and keep on posting. Sometimes people have nothing better to do but be negative. I refuse to give them my time or attention because I think that is what they want. Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on March 8, 2013 at 7:56 am
    • Good morning Rebecca! I do hope you are feeling alright today! I posted that because I did get a direct negative comment from Ishmael, who I do think, didn't quite understand what I was trying to do when I responded to the PJ remark. In any event My attempt came out wrong and I did want to clear the air. I wasn't trying to be critical of any opinion, but more like how do we come together on something…try to find a gentler, common ground. Well, any how I didn't say it right, and was misunderstood, so I apologized for that. But it just seems consistently there, so I'm wondering–hava I offended or hurt somebody and don't know this? IF I have I need to make it right. That's why I posted the question. Sure don't want to have/leave unfinished business out there… On the issue of PJ, I think He/She was so abrupt, we were just taken by surprise–I was being the grandma-like me: trying to put some slow-down sense into the equasion. Oh well. Thanks so much for your sweet note! it really means a lot to me, Rebecca! LOOK for a post I made last night to Jennie/Florida I found something up front Not sure it belongs to BC–but IF IT DOES IT'S A BIGGIE! :D Have a lovely day!^_^<3<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 8, 2013 at 10:32 am
    • Kitty, I tried to fix the thumbs down, but my one thumb could only make it a 0.:( I'm not sure what's bothering someone so much either, but you shouldn't worry about it. I can't imagine what more you could possibly say to make things right. I think maybe Rebecca is right, it's a kid just playing around to see what kind of a rise they can get. Just let it roll out with the tide! Love, Sandy<3

SID on March 8, 2013 at 5:28 pm
    • That is sweet, Sandy! Thanks! Then, based on what you just said, I have apparently stepped on more than one blogger's toes. Well, God only knows I don't nor did not intend to ever upset anyone. i'm pretty much an open book though and some folks may take issue with that. I have used a saying with my kids and now my grandkids, "just let it roll off like water off a duck!" i can try that myself! Thanks for every thing–Have a great weekend everybody(((HUGS))) To you Sandy! xD^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 8, 2013 at 6:01 pm
    • Thanks!! I've not been able to get my brother so you've imparted some great information! I did realize that snakes would be around…don't like them at all…I guess I'd have to check the grounds before venturing too far…LOL. Good luck to you as well!!! Good luck to all on here….

TishaStanley on March 7, 2013 at 11:27 pm
    • I want to thank you all for your help. I too hope I did not offend anyone because I never meant to and if I had I apolize. Like they said shock for us to hear anything negative for we all see positive and beauty of our bc whom we watch from bottom up like maybe watching a baby grow. they are doing so much and pix are so awesome to see-it shows all the different things about the home-pray for my 2 grandkids boy and girl twins maddex and madded. mother went into labor 23 weeks. In hospital .everything quiet now. hope and pray they wait little longer. It is amazing to see us pix of them. just love them very much, in God's hands.

bogartandbacall on March 8, 2013 at 12:25 am
    • I will keep your family in my prayers!

Also, I hope that I have not offended anyone! I'm new in here, as well, so the last thing I want to do is upset someone. I give a thumbs up if I like a comment but don't do the thumbs down because, after all, it is someone's opinion, and we are all entitled to that!

TishaStanley on March 8, 2013 at 7:56 am
    • Amen!xD^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 8, 2013 at 10:52 am
    • Please see below, BogartandBacall. Your TwinGrandbabies and your Family are covered under the Mighty Hand of God! To answer your question about swing/gym set, I don't think that will be a problem. There actually is/was(?) a wood swing hanging from a tree on the left side of the house, if you pan the CAM over and zoom in, maybe half way or more–big tree branch! :)
      Hang in there! I doubt there are alligators in the salt water by the BC. They'd like freshwater more, I think. So Glad you've joined our Blog! xD^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 8, 2013 at 10:51 am
    • Hey Kitty. :) Maybe you missed my little 'tongue-in-cheek' blog yesterday (it's actually a few below this one at the moment). Alligators can live in brackish (Core Sound isn't really salt water) as well as fresh water. Once they were common around the outer banks and coastal regions further south. There is a National Wildlife refuge just 7.5 miles north of the BC that's trying to reintroduce them to the area and another refuge on the north side of Pamlico Sound thet has alligators. ;)

Clive on March 8, 2013 at 5:39 pm
    • I've added your dear little grand babies to my prayers and hoping all goes well.<3<3

SID on March 8, 2013 at 5:31 pm
    • Thanks, Tisha! I don't like snakes either@ in VA, there's a species of rattler called the "canebrake." They say it's "endangered" so you're supposed to leave it alone… well… i'm a very peaceful sort, myself and i love nature and animals, but IF i come face to face with a canebrake–you wanna' know who is endangered???;););) Sorry, go figure…^_^ Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 8, 2013 at 12:07 pm
    • LOL. Two things I don't like about living in lovely natural AR – Rattlesnakes, pigmy rattlesnakes, water moccasins, coral snakes, copperheads-most of which which we've seen once or twice in our backyard! My husband just comes running with a shovel when he hears me scream! :'(

SID on March 8, 2013 at 5:36 pm
    • Miss Kitty or anyone from what you know would yard (from house to core sound)be alright for swing-set and riding bike etc. have 6 yr old boy and wondered if ground usuable for play and was safe You have answered about safe-we have snaked here including poision but no alligators I have 2 dogs too wondering about everything and then of course taxes and insurance- if a will a way. thanks

bogartandbacall on March 8, 2013 at 12:33 am
    • God bless and be with your family and those little Twins right now! I pray they can stay in Utero longer so they can grow and become stronger and be born safely without complications, in the Mighty Name of Jesus! Cover this entire Family Lord, provide for them the strength and comfort and hope they need while awaiting the birth of these two precious little ones–be their Source, Lord, their Healer, their Provider, and their Joy–and I Praise and Thank You for Your Answer, In Jesus Name, Amen!<3<3<3

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 8, 2013 at 10:42 am
    • you will never know how thankful/touched I am by your toughts and prayers. My eyes got teary eyed reading the prayer -thank you so very much. We are going to my dad's Catholic Church Sunday and light a candle for my babies. They could not be in better hands than the Lords I thank the Lord Jesus for everything

bogartandbacall on March 8, 2013 at 4:12 pm
    • The Lord be with you and yours! I know this is a very difficult time. When it's hard to find the words, don't fret, just call upon the Miraculous Name–the Name of the Risen Jesus. In Him is Life! He knows your every thought and pain–and He Loves you! He Loves your Twin Grandchildren too! Let His Name be your Source of Strength! I care and will pray!<3<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 8, 2013 at 4:26 pm
  3. We have gate posts at the end of the driveway and a huge truckload of good dirt! It looks like an active day at the cabin! Good morning, y'all!

Grammagail on March 7, 2013 at 9:51 am
    • Morning yourself! I missed the posts and the dirt, I just thought they were hauling away the rest of the trees they took down……..good dirt is a good sign, I would think. And I hope someone notices and puts our message back up, there must have been enough wind yesterday to knock it to the ground…..

karenlin91 on March 7, 2013 at 10:07 am
    • Good Morning Grammagail! I didn't see the posts in time…now the view is blocked, intentionally I am sure, but I do see the crane is back at work! Guess we will have to wait till the obstruction is moved to see the results of their labor!!! ;) :D

Shelly313 on March 7, 2013 at 10:28 am
    • I just looked and it is still blocked.:)

JudyInMich on March 7, 2013 at 3:18 pm
  4. Good Morning, everyone! It does look like a glorious day! I noticed that our little sign on the grape arbor is gone, I hope all these little things don't just "disappear".

Have a wonderful day!!!!

TishaStanley on March 7, 2013 at 10:10 am
    • I think it fell down in the wind yesterday. I thought I saw a wooden piece laying on the ground that looked to be the same shape as the sign. Hope someone there notices it and either saves it with the others or puts it back up.=/

JudyInMich on March 7, 2013 at 10:24 am
    • I think you're right. I looked a little closer and on the ground is what appears to be the sign. Thanks for pointing it out!

TishaStanley on March 7, 2013 at 12:09 pm
    • Today it is turned over abd it is the sign.

Millie on March 8, 2013 at 7:02 pm
  5. What a gorgeous morning at the BC!!! I was zooming the cam around and it did one of it's playful moves where I was trying to zoom in to the entrance to the property…but the cam suddently put itself where it wanted to be instead (or maybe Divine Intervention?!), because all of a sudden I had the most perfect picture of the swings and daffodils…and then the dreaming took off again, as it does every single day! ^_^

Shelly313 on March 7, 2013 at 10:20 am
    • Sorry Shelly, I think that was me ;-) But it was a good shot of the swings and daffodils wasn't it ? ;-)

karenlin91 on March 7, 2013 at 12:20 pm
    • It was a GREAT shot of the swings and daffodils, Karen! Thank you!!! haha! :D :D

Shelly313 on March 8, 2013 at 11:30 am
    • lol, no prob!

karenlin91 on March 8, 2013 at 11:40 am
  6. Jason, I know you have wonderful plans in store, but could you please keep some wide open spaces perfect for setting up a net for badminton/volleyball, or for tossing horse shoes? I can't help but envision family reunions and all kinds of activities going on at the BC, and I just love the idea of simplicity that won't detract from that super gorgeous setting! I love the idea of a fire pit for roasting marshmallows and making s'mores, and I hope you agree the corner of trees is the perfect backdrop for a built-in BBQ grill and patio area! And I do hope the swings will stay…I can just hear my grandchildren squealing with delight as they swing amongst the daffodils! And please also consider a boardwalk leading from the porch to the dock, and a miniature lighthouse over the well area, and the repurposed water pump turned into a working water feature in a garden off the Master Suite.

Sorry for repeating myself, everybody! I am just very passionate about these ideas for this particular BC that we are all most hopeful of winning! I hope everyone has a most blessed day today, and enjoy that gorgeous sunshine too!!! B)^_^:D:)<3

Shelly313 on March 7, 2013 at 10:21 am
  7. Good Morning Administrators: Just curious why two comments in two days require approval before posting, esp since I have never posted anything negative or inappropriate??? Confused… :(

Shelly313 on March 7, 2013 at 10:30 am
    • Oh, no!! Not you, too? Honestly, I'm beginning to wonder about the "site admin" folks and their censoring. The posting I did "way back yonder" about there not being many jobs and even fewer professional jobs in the area never did make it to the blog.

Bev on March 7, 2013 at 11:37 am
    • The site admin is actively censoring your blog unless it's been flagged by another person using the "Report" tab.:) The 'referred to sit admin' problem is caused by the Intense Debate software that's set to do this is with certain words or phrases. It's a way to prevent profanity and stop spam (once very prevalent on the blog). Unfortunately, it's not very good software and can't discriminate between certain perfectly reasonable phrases and words and those it's programmed to catch. For example the word 'sho es' can't be used without the gap. Nor can ’phar macy’, ‘pharma cist’ or any derivative starting with ‘pharm’. Bloggers have long complained but Mary has done nothing. It's very likely you're using one of the forbidden words (we have no idea how many there are) or a phrase that has triggers the ‘blog police’ software. The way bloggers have coped with this in the past s to try to change the wording until the blog is accepted then alerting other bloggers that they have discovered another 'bad' word. :) Good luck. ;)

Clive on March 7, 2013 at 11:59 am
    • Oops! :$ That first sentence should read "The site admin IS'NT actively censoring your blog unless ….." What a difference three characters can make.:)

Clive on March 7, 2013 at 12:13 pm
    • Clive, I too had been flagged for misspelling something in the past. OOPS.

bythebaydreamer on March 7, 2013 at 1:36 pm
    • Oh Shelly, it happens to all of us! i wish the word police would give us their list! :) If I write something that I really want to have posted, I try to remember to copy, before I click post. At least then, if Admin gobbles that post and they don't, I repeat, do not repost it–so the one that's saved gets pasted. Then I re-read carefully for any word, that they/Admin could possibly think would be offensive, like Clive said: phar macy and change it. I do not use any untoward language or profa nity in my personal life so it really gets to me when I'm sent to the corner!! LOL! But copying and repasting, IF "caught" by the Word police saves a little time–that's my best suggestion.;):)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 7, 2013 at 3:45 pm
    • Bev, Clive, Becky and Kitty, thank you for the info about the censoring by the word police! I wish I knew what word or combination of words I used to "require approval" (which has yet to happen), esp since it was a message to Jason only asking for the property to remain simple and open so family gatherings can set up vollyball net or throw horse shoes, and asking again for a fire pit, a built in BBQ patio area, and of course the board walk (not the one currently in place haha!)…I'm guessing there really is no one who will actually "approve" and "release" my very clean, very appropriate message. I'm with you, Kitty, not really liking being sent to the corner for no reason! :( o.0:'(

Shelly313 on March 8, 2013 at 11:49 am
    • I can't win!!! The word police did it again! :@o.0:'(:(

Shelly313 on March 8, 2013 at 11:50 am
  8. For those concerned about alligators here's something that may help (or scare ;) ). 7.5 Miles north of the cottage, just the other side of Atlantic, is Cedar Island National Wildlife Refuge. Top of the list of 'Objectives' for the refuge is "Provide habitat and protection for endangered species such as American alligators and brown pelicans." That's on the south end of the Pamlico Sound. Across the sound on the north side is Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge. Yes, you guessed it, among other animals they have are alligators. :) I've never visited this region but I've seen 'gators on the beach at Hilton Head and Savannah harbor. :D Anyone for dangling their toes in the water off the dock? ;)

Clive on March 7, 2013 at 11:41 am
    • Thanks Clive, it's better to be forewarned. I've gone pheasant hunting with my husband, and watched a whole slew of pheasants cross the road to a posted field-right before the time you can shoot. Hopefully these alligators can read as well as those birds, and stick to places where they are safe. Just in case, not sticking any toes in unless the water is clear enough to see ;-)

karenlin91 on March 7, 2013 at 12:27 pm
    • LOL, Karenlin!!!! <3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 7, 2013 at 3:30 pm
    • When we went to Floria the first time my youngest son had one goal…to see an alligator in the wild. I was dragged on walks through state park swamps in the search but never found one. My parents lived in Port Charlotte and right across the street from an inlet/"lake" and often saw a gator in their neighbor's yard just across the street. They used to call her to let her know one was sunning itself. Never did I ever see one in all the years of going there. Did see a "Florida Panther", AKA mountain lion, several times going through the back yard along with the neighborhood Bobcat but never an alligator. They are not that easy to catch sight of unless they are sunning themselves. Just watch out for that log floating toward you!

Grammagail on March 7, 2013 at 1:20 pm
    • Thank you, Clive! I've had family members try to use me as "gator bait", but I didn't fall for it. I've lived in North Carolina and Florida, I've never had the opportunity (fortunately??) to see an alligator. It's amazing that you've seen one on the beach at Hilton Head, I have a good friend who goes there every winter. I think that unless the water is clear all the way to the bottom, I'll look for floating logs, first…LOL.

Tisha

TishaStanley on March 7, 2013 at 3:10 pm
    • Alligators seem to have been given a bad rap. I've played golf "around" gators in SC (Beaufort area) and never had a problem….not that I'd ever walk up next to one to hit my ball. I have played a normal shot within 10 – 15 yards of a big one….one of the best pitching wedge shots of my life. The gator never flinched. Still, I'd never tether my cocker spaniel out in the yard if there were alligators in the area. I also won't go chasing errant golf balls in to the brush or marshes where alligators are likely to be found….I've read that there are many companies that make new golfballs everyday….not so much with hands, arms, feet and legs.

RLD on March 7, 2013 at 5:46 pm
    • Whoops…just had my first post go off to be approved by the site administrator….I had basically advised not to worry about alligators. Oh well….. I mentioned "golf"….that was probably my mistake.

RLD on March 7, 2013 at 5:49 pm
    • They're on a roll, RLD…I've had 3 go in two days…sad thing is I haven't said anything that hasn't been said before…but good to know it looks like "golf" isn't on the bad list…haha!

Shelly313 on March 8, 2013 at 12:00 pm
    • This discussion reminds me of an old joke. Please allow meto tell it :

A young couple walks down to a beautiful deserted cove on the LA coast. They're excited and get ready for a swim. The lady is a little hesitant and asks about alligators. The man is unsure then they see an elderly local man sitting on a tree stump nearby.

They go over and ask him "Are there any alligators around here?"
      He smiles and replies "No".
      The couple, now happy to swim, race each other towards the inviting water just as the elderly local adds "The sharks got them all". xD

Core Sound does have Bull sharks!! :S

Clive on March 7, 2013 at 6:01 pm
    • Hahahahha Clive, I feel so much better now!

karenlin91 on March 8, 2013 at 11:43 am
    • How funny!!! Thanks for the laugh, Clive! But now I'm starting to wish they would raise the dock a bit higher…LOL! ;) :D

Shelly313 on March 8, 2013 at 12:01 pm
    • loved it loved it thank you for info I know not to let my grandson and dogs go out without eyeballs and being close I too if water cleared would put feet in. Still amazed and amushed at all the stuf we learn about the home and area. was going to do some swimming in water may think about it really hard but I loved your joke made me smile and laugh Miss Kitty can I ask what message to Jennie was Lokking for it did not find

bogartandbacall on March 8, 2013 at 4:26 pm
    • Did you guys see the news about the black-tipped sharks schooling along the Fla. coastline – waiting for the waters to warm for their migration north? Beaches were closed here and there along the coast. It looked there were 1000's of them. Beautiful, awesome, big!
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 8, 2013 at 5:49 pm
    • At first I thought you (Clive) were kidding about the Bull Sharks in Core Sound….nope, not kidding at all. Nothing to worry about….only grow to 7 – 8 feet and credited with attacks on humans. However, I just read several accounts from kayakers who don't worry about them. I still probably would avoid swimming with them.

RLD on March 8, 2013 at 7:12 pm
    • Bull sharks are particularly nasty and have been known to go way up fresh water rivers. About ten years ago two books came out at the same time about fatal shark attacks that took place on the Jersey Shore early in the 1900's. Interesting reading.

Ishmael on March 9, 2013 at 2:17 am
  9. Mary, thank you for all that you have done, and the wonderful updates you have provided. I just have a couple of questions that I think we all want answers to..on bended knee, begging here. 1) What did we miss as we zoomed and focused until our eyes were crossed last weekend? and 2) Why did they take trees out down by they highway and end of the drive? Please? ;-)

karenlin91 on March 7, 2013 at 12:31 pm
    • For my 2c there was nothing to see over the weekend. The comment was a little poorly worded or the writer hadn't been reading the blog and therefore mdidn't know we had already seen the other messages. There were no new notes until the Yard Crashers sign was posted. JMO of course. ;)

Clive on March 7, 2013 at 12:39 pm
    • ? <DIV>I think you must be right. If there was something there, surely one of us would have found it!</DIV> <DIV></DIV> <DIV style=”FONT: 10pt arial”>

karenlin91 on March 7, 2013 at 12:56 pm
    • Hi Clive, hope you're staying warm! Come on Springtime! Doesn't that sound strange coming from a person who lives in Sunny Florida??? We have had toooo many Frost this Winter and still have cold weather. It 43 this morning, but soon to get warmer by this weekend, they say…
      Just a note…Jason Cameron is Desperate Landscapes and Matt Blashaw is Yard Crashers, I think Jason left the last little "Vine Sign"… thought you would like to know!!! Have a Good Day…B)

Jennie/Florida on March 7, 2013 at 1:10 pm
  10. Just a thought: Are they cuting the trees to be used for the dock? I'm not real familiar with how to build docks and such but since the logs were stacked up, I wondered if they were getting some off of the property to save money.

peachdoctor on March 7, 2013 at 2:21 pm
    • I'm not too familiar with the process either. I'm guessing the trees were removed to widen the entrance to the property. If you look through the old pics you will see a rather narrow entrance. And someone thought they saw posts going up for a possible gate yesterday, as well. I don't think the trees they cut down could be processed or treated in enough time to be used on the dock.

Shelly313 on March 8, 2013 at 12:05 pm