Mar 5

Blog Cabin’s Renovation History

Additions made to Blog Cabin 2013

Today, I’d like to share a new article posted in our Remodeling of Blog Cabin 2013 package on HGTVRemodels.com. It’s all about additions made to the original Blog Cabin 2013 structure. Project manager Dylan Eastman and his team uncovered six separate renovations as they opened up walls, examined window frames and took a look at shingles and building materials. Even the age of nails helped the team separate original structure from add-on.

Read all about it here and then post comments below.

Note to bloggers: Zoom in on the grape arbor in the Cabin Cam.

• Posted at 12:50 pm on March 3, 2013

1. One thing I have allways found odd is that most of the houses and bildings 100+ years old, that never hade Permets or inspections seem to be bilt beater then some of todays ( just up to ) Code houses!
    That's why I like The Blog Cabin Home. Because I can see the Pride that goes in to the Bilding of the Home!!! <3 B) Thank you BC Crue!!!!

asandmancan on March 6, 2013 at 12:33 pm
  2. Bloggers LOVE Desperate Landscapes, too! Can't wait to see what happens next!

Bev on March 6, 2013 at 12:33 pm
  3. High tide, and high winds in NC today, especially along the coast where there is always a breeze anyway. Rough waters, but looking forward to a beautiful sunny and warm weekend ahead, per the forecast. Aren't the daffodils in the yard getting big? Lovely Spring Ahead!!

Bev on March 6, 2013 at 12:38 pm
    • Hi Bev! Yes they are. I can't wait until everything is in full bloom. I bet it is just amazing! Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on March 8, 2013 at 7:45 am
  4. Good Morning All……
    A Windy Morning at the Cottage…Burrrrr! The Crew is all bundled up with the Winds up to 29 mph and Wind chill at 37 degrees !!! There is a Big Machine taking out trees down by the driveway..I wonder why?? Maybe a New Septic tank or something that is needed for the Cottage! Other wise I wish they wouldn't take down any trees or bushes especially near the drive or Hwy 70 to take away the Privacy of the Driveway and Cottage….I wish Someone would Chime in and let us know what is going on…Please Someone, Maybe Laurie???

Jennie/Florida on March 6, 2013 at 12:43 pm
  5. I think peterjohnny is either very young, or is trying to get a "rise" out of us bloggers who appreciate the incorporation of the old with the new in an effort to keep the original charm and feel of this historic cottage and area.

Bev on March 6, 2013 at 12:48 pm
  6. Maybe peterjohnny is a member of the current younger generation" of "everything is disposable" and "nothing is made to last"?

Bev on March 6, 2013 at 12:50 pm
    • We're not all like that, you know. Please don't assume every member of "the current younger generation" thinks that way, please. :)

MGYinSC on March 7, 2013 at 8:09 am
    • MGYinSC, trust me, we don't assume that at all. There is a lot of discussion on how the "disposable" generation came to be, and I'm afraid us boomers are largely responsible even though most of us won't admit it. Don't get me started> But please don't take Bev's comment personally, I think she meant it broadly speaking; and you might have to admit there is a lot of truth in her comment – broadly speaking.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 7, 2013 at 11:11 pm
    • WCG, I directed my reply to Bev, because it just seemed to me that she was making a generalization about a huge group of people, a group I also belong to, and I just wanted to gently remind her that we are not all like that, the "disposable" generation, nor was I trying to place blame on how the "disposable" mentality came to be. I thought the smiley face would convey that. I wasn't taking it personally. She doesn't know me, I just wanted to remind her not all "younger" people think that way. Also, I think people, in general, of all ages, have moved towards a "disposable" way of living….and it makes me very sad. :(

Just for kicks, here's something about me: Only our mattress, our desk chair, our son's crib, and another crib for the one on the way are new. Every single other piece of furniture in our 3 bedroom house is either a thrift-store find, or a used cast-off of our friends and family. I LOVE old stuff! It has character the new stuff just can't replicate. :D

MGYinSC on March 8, 2013 at 6:54 am
  7. I have an ideal DIY would just love to do. Why not make a shadow box of all the little things you guys found? That would make a fun gift for the winner. A living history of the home as a conversation piece.

Hawkweed on March 6, 2013 at 1:48 pm
  8. I suspect that peterjohnny simply fired off a round for effect….and received exactly the reaction he intended. We are too easy!

RLD on March 6, 2013 at 3:07 pm
    • I think you must be right, otherwise (just shaking my head)

karenlin91 on March 6, 2013 at 5:49 pm
    • RLD, you may be right on the mark.
      Or – maybe a disgruntled heir?
      Could be any reason given above for the remarks peterjohnny made.
      But they sure got us fired up!
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 6, 2013 at 7:23 pm
    • You're right, Wind Chime Girl. I guess I just failed to explain to Peterjohnny and Ishmael about the concept of making friends by trying to meet on common ground… Sigh:$ Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 7, 2013 at 4:23 pm
    • Kitty, I've had to go back and tone down my remarks because I didn't want them taken the wrong way. Some people (like me) are plain spoken and don't know how to be politic. Also, maybe all this person – P J – saw was the debris from the renovation, if that. There is no way to know where P J 's remarks came from and PJ hasn't come back to explain. Maybe he/she was a wanderer with no where to go and found us ripe for their amusement. I guess it doesn't really matter, but PJ's remarks did get quite a stir out of us. I'd say it's a done deal now.
      But what I could do with that old rubbish??!!! I'd sure like to get a few old pieces for my crafts.
      Hang in there Kitty.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 7, 2013 at 11:02 pm
    • Thanks, WCG! I have apologized to all and especially to PJ, though I never had an issue javascript:void(0);with PJ's distaste for the furnishings. I personally like the contents, mostly, but that was an opinion he/she expressed. But the Teacher /old grandma in me jumped in there, trying to "teach" how to become part of the group, since PJ had certainly gotten the group's attention in a negative way. I should have extended the olive branch, but I did so conditionally–which was wrong of me. I told him/her to approach more nicely, then we'd be glad to extend a welcome. i feel both embarassed and badly about that… Live and learn. I'm like you, I could think of so much to do with all that rubbish. :) Oh, and some of the glass and pottery and old wood stuff…. BTW, a while ago, I poste to Jennie and I'll clue you in, just in case it is on Blog Cabin land–otherwise, I've blown it again–but, I found a big white boat with blue cannopy hidden in the trees up front, using maximum magnification, on the right. Also there are a couple kayaks or maybe canoes next to the boat. What I'm not sure of is, whether that is neighbor or Blog Cabin Land… Need to see if they pick up on areal view. Could this be our BIG SURPRISE? You'r a dear, Wind Chime Girl–I happen to especially be drawn to you, aside from your being a great BC contributer, ,witty, caring, intelligent, with it, always unselfish and I get to hear her in VA til i return to Maine every year! ireasonsu nselfish–you and I must shar the love of wind chimes. I have 4 larger ones outside; an3-4 hanginaround my house pkd well lus some which nee some repair, then they wwwill han again…Can you tell I love them, I even have on outside Do forgive my typing seems disombobulated, it's darkand hubby is trying to sleep wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwhile i uselsaptop this really look crazzzzzy I do love wind chimes doyou mke or sell the/// i'D LIKE TO DIO BUSUINESS SERIOUSLY WITH YOU ON IT.IF YOU CABN MAIE OUT MY TYPING MESS,bedroo doo which bounds like the Pemequid point lighthouse Bell boueyB)B)<3<3xDxDB)<3kITTY

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 7, 2013 at 11:41 pm
  9. I greeted the House Counselors several blogs ago; they were the first to leave a note for us on the grape arbor. Hopefully, the other HGTV stars will do the same. It is a nice gesture.

RitaANewYorker on March 6, 2013 at 3:35 pm
    • Hi Rita, there is a New message on the Muscadine-Wild grape Vines and it's from "Desperate Landscapes" Crew ….Yeah, Jason Cameron and His Crew will be upgrading the Dock area!

Jennie/Florida on March 6, 2013 at 3:57 pm
    • The first to leave a message, I think was the framers, then Bath Crashers, then House Counselors, not Desperate Landscapes, We will have to keep watching.

vicki_in_Utah on March 6, 2013 at 4:30 pm
    • Hi Vicki have you not seen the sign From Desperate Landscapes?? Did you read my comment to Rita
      above??? I left Rita a comment almost an hour ago!!! There is a New sign on the grape vine from Jason and "Desperate Landscapes".Yeah ..:p

Jennie/Florida on March 6, 2013 at 4:51 pm
    • Yes I saw Desperate Landscape sign, I was just saying that he was not the first to leave a message. Some bloggers think that is the first sign. It is not it is the 4th. I am so Happy Jason is going to be at the BC.

vicki_in_Utah on March 6, 2013 at 6:01 pm
    • Hi Vicki,
      Blog Cabin wouldn't be Complete with Jason!!! He takes so much Pride in is work…Happy, Happy, Happy we will get to watch his Magic work on the Waterside of the Cottage.. :p I wonder how much of the yard he will cover, that's a big yard…Landscaping if my favorite part of the Blog Cabin!
      Did you see my comment above about the Guy who was taking down trees by the Driveway and Entrance area? Seems like Everyone Missed it, I had No comments at all and wouldn't think I would be the Only one who was disappointed they were clearing that area when it is so close to Hwy 70 and taking the Privacy away from the Cottage and Driveway..It must have been necessary but I was hoping they would keep as much Natural Setting as possible…
      It would be nice if Someone would post and let us know why they took down those trees and if they have any plans for that Area…Inquiring Minds want to know!!! ;)

Jennie/Florida on March 6, 2013 at 6:57 pm
    • Sorry that is… BC wouldn't be Complete "Without" Jason!!! Of all the things, I would have to mess up the most important comment !! DUH o.0

Jennie/Florida on March 6, 2013 at 7:06 pm
    • Jennie, I'm sorry, I saw the machine before they started taking the tree down and I didn't know why it was there….sigh, I think the disappointment got to me, not to acknowledge it. I'd like to know why they did too, I hope it was a very good reason, maybe the tree was dying, or something really cool might be slated for there. Trees should never be cut down without any good reason, I'm just sayin'.

karenlin91 on March 6, 2013 at 7:13 pm
    • I had the same thought Jennie, about the trees. I am known to be a tree hugger, it breaks my hart when trees are cut down for no reason.

vicki_in_Utah on March 6, 2013 at 7:21 pm
    • Hi Vicki and Karen, I counted 3 trees to go down. One pretty Big one and 2 a little smaller and they looked perfectly healthy to me…They cut the limbs all up and loaded them on a truck… Firewood for someone, I guess! .
      I hope it was real important for them to clear all that area.. But it's soooo close to Hwy 70 and the driveway..I think the Cottage might loose the Privacy it had..I really can't tell from the angle of the Camera…But on the other hand, Maybe something Extra Special will be going in that area!!! I wish someone would let us know what is going on, Don't you???

Jennie/Florida on March 6, 2013 at 7:59 pm
    • Let's also keep Matt Blashaw with Yard Crashers–He's on the list too! I wonder how they'll divvy up the yard? Should be quite interesting and a most beautiful yard. I really hope they will make it very naturalized, easy care, with perennials and local textures that can withstand winds and salt air. B);):p<3 kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 6, 2013 at 10:04 pm
    • Oh yes don't forget Matt Blashaw, he was a awsome host on the 2011 BC

vicki_in_Utah on March 7, 2013 at 9:03 am
    • Amen to that, Kitty. Naturalized is beautiful and perennials that keep coming back, enjoy the space, not spend all your time working on it. I keep thinking that part of the area could be planted as a meadow, up toward the water…..

karenlin91 on March 7, 2013 at 9:16 am
    • Good Morning Kitty, I know Matt Blashaw and Crew turned the Farmhouse back yard into a Beautiful area for Family and friends…Loved Everything about it….. so I would think Matt would do the same at this BC..The Patio and entertainment area will probably be his area to show his Great work again. Since Jason is doing the Dock area, I would think he would be also be doing the waterside landscaping…My thinking!!!
      Both of those Guys are Very talented and turn out Masterpieces… Remember those two worked together at "Twin Coves" in Susan Va.?? Matt was Host and Jason Landscaper for the front yard, Jason told Matt to come out and help if He had it in him, so Matt joined Jason and Crew with the Oyster Shell driveway..They were Very funny because they were having a problem breathing because of the smelly oyster shell dust.The Front Yard turned the T/Cs into a Victorian Show Place…I Loved that Home and land…Beautiful area..
      Did you see where they took down trees at the driveway yesterday?? I saw at least 3 trees taken down..I wonder why they did that and if they have plans to add something there…I think clearing that area took away some of the Privacy of the Cottage and Driveway..The Clearing is very close to hwy 70…I wish Someone would let us know why they did that!!!! Laurie maybe will chime in and share the info!!!! Kitty take care…:p<3

Jennie/Florida on March 7, 2013 at 10:13 am
    • Oh, yes, Jennie! They worked so great together–and who can forget the oyster shells "aroma?" That was too funny!

<3You know, I missed that part, where the trees were taken down–but while I was checking to see what it looked like, LO AND BEHOLD, I SAW SOMETHING WITH THE CLOSE-UP MAGNIFICATION CAMERA!!! (It is awfully close to OUR BC trees and land, looking out towards the road on the right). :D :D :D DRUM ROLL!!!!

It's BIG, it is white & and has a blue retractable canopy: IT IS A BOAT! Did it come with all the household furnishings? On the ground next to it appeared to rest a couple kayaks–or maybe canoes (not sure) I studied these on maximum magnification today. IS THIS OUR SURPRISE??? ;) :D OK, EveryBloggie, check it out! :) :D <3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 7, 2013 at 10:00 pm
    • Oh wow I have to go look! Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on March 8, 2013 at 11:35 am
    • Kitty, I agree. I hope they use a mixture of perennials and grasses to naturalize the yard. I also hope that the landscaping is carefree. Aren't the daffodils around the oak? tree beautiful? Spring is on its way, even though we still have over a foot of snow in Maine. BTW have you heard from Ken? Did he end up putting a bid on the house in Maine? Becky:)<3

bythebaydreamer on March 7, 2013 at 1:33 pm
    • Becky, I agree! And I am vert perplexed, because I know I answered this and also told you about my messaging with Ken and updated you on all that stuff! o.0 But where did it go? I haven't the foggiest… Mrs. Turner didn't get back with Ken, FYI, and Ken is still searching, went Tuesday to look at a really darling place, which I hope works for him. Phooey! I said lots in my response–Pick up again later. I'll be up in Maine late July thru Aug 10. Would be so cool to meet you!B)<3 kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 7, 2013 at 9:43 pm
    • Please, to all of you, keep talking. I don't get to see the camera like you do and I love it when I have the time to read what you've seen.
      I need to do a little segment on satellite internet services – nevermind here it is – satellite internet (sucks). So please keep the chatter up for us all. Thanks.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 7, 2013 at 11:25 pm
    • I love when they leave notes or clues! It is so much fun and really gets your curiousity going! Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on March 8, 2013 at 7:48 am
  10. What a wonderful history to read about. Thanks for the post!

lifeimagined59 on March 6, 2013 at 5:46 pm
    • That is one of the things that I love most about this beautiful home, it has so much history!! Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on March 8, 2013 at 7:49 am