Mar 5

Blog Cabin’s Renovation History

Additions made to Blog Cabin 2013

Today, I’d like to share a new article posted in our Remodeling of Blog Cabin 2013 package on HGTVRemodels.com. It’s all about additions made to the original Blog Cabin 2013 structure. Project manager Dylan Eastman and his team uncovered six separate renovations as they opened up walls, examined window frames and took a look at shingles and building materials. Even the age of nails helped the team separate original structure from add-on.

Read all about it here and then post comments below.

Note to bloggers: Zoom in on the grape arbor in the Cabin Cam.

• Posted at 12:50 pm on March 3, 2013

1. The view of the Sound this morning is absolutely beautiful!!! I love looking at the white caps forming, the clouds, and the way the sun is shining right now just makes such a pretty picture!!! ^_^

We got hit by the snow yesterday, and it didn't take long at all for everything to be completely covered! Not sure exactly how much we got, but was expecting 4-6" and looks to be in that range in my neighborhood. I would love to be standing on the dock (completed, of course!) right now taking in the chilly breeze off the Sound! ^_^ Hope everyone has a beautiful day today! :)

Shelly313 on March 6, 2013 at 9:06 am
    • What a way to start the day. Nothing could go wrong, hopefully One day while we were at pc I had a awful h/a could not seem to get rid of it. at evening my husband took me to the beach and sat on a bench. It was chilly. Wind blowing. He covered me with a blanket. I sat there and listened to the beautiful waves and seen the white caps on the waves, I don't need to tell you my h/a went away. There is just something about the water. Really no matter what time-the birds fly in daytime, you can see and hear waves. Just quite breathtaken. I LOVE it.

bogartandbacall on March 7, 2013 at 6:27 pm
    • Hi Shelly. It definately is a beautiful scene at the BC! I would love to be sitting there with a nice warm fire and watching out the window at the water. What a beautiful place to live! Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on March 8, 2013 at 7:34 am
  2. Morning guys! How is everyone doing this wonderful day. Everyday above ground is another wonderful day. The blog cabin looks just beautiful. It has really taken shape since the windows, doors and siding have been added. I can't wait to see the old weathered dock renovated. Well I guess I will go do my voting! Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on March 6, 2013 at 9:21 am
  3. Morning, all. Happy Wednesday to everyone!! What kind of things will we see today…hmmm?

TishaStanley on March 6, 2013 at 9:39 am
    • That is the exciting part…..waiting and wondering! Your curiousity runs away with you! Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on March 8, 2013 at 7:35 am
  4. I have to give it to the DIY Teams! This has been a challenging renovation. Having lifted the house to try to save it and then to realize that it had so much damage it could not be saved and had to be totally redone. You have still used the original foot prints of the house and tried to keep the history by using the bricks and just doing an amazing job! You guys are just AWESOME! Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on March 6, 2013 at 9:40 am
  5. Congratulations, you generated quite a bit of conversation here. I agree that some of the stuff was just old junk, but there were also a number of items that were antiques (ie. not junk even when they were new). In addition, Blog Cabin has traditionally used some of the original stuff (lumber, bricks etc.) to fashion new creative items that carry forward the history of the new house. And as they say, one man's trash is another man's treasure. If you were to win, you could sell the old stuff you don't like and have plenty to buy what you do like. Win-win for all.

Windsmurf on March 6, 2013 at 9:47 am
  6. The water looks a little rough by the dock. There are sure lots of birds out there, Or at least I think they are birds, bobbing up and down on the water.

vicki_in_Utah on March 6, 2013 at 10:11 am
    • High tide, and high winds in NC today, especially along the coast where there is always a breeze anyway. Rough waters, but looking forward to a beautiful sunny and warm weekend ahead, per the forecast. Aren't the daffodils in the yard getting big? Lovely Spring Ahead!!

Bev on March 6, 2013 at 12:37 pm
    • I see the birds all the time, Vicki! When you see them in the water, just refresh the picture often and you will eventually see them in the air over the water before they settle back down again! ^_^:)

Shelly313 on March 7, 2013 at 10:33 am
  7. Just saw a big digging machine parked down the drive……any guesses? Septic tank work?, foundation for our storage building? Can't tell who the van belongs to that's parked over to the side.

karenlin91 on March 6, 2013 at 11:21 am
  8. That stuf,f as you call it , is a very precious commodity both in monitary value and our heritage. Furniture that is 80-100 years old can never be reproduced. These antique pieces are handmade by long ago master craftsmen who took pride in their work and made them to last. Many pieces are in museums all over the country to help us remember our past. This collection should be worth a lot of money if that is how you consider worth. If you are just playing devil's advocate, I suggust you pick a subject you know something about. Pat Green

Pat Green on March 6, 2013 at 11:34 am
    • Hi Pat I was hoping you would jump in on this and shed some light from a expert. Thanks.

vicki_in_Utah on March 6, 2013 at 2:06 pm
    • How are you Vicki? Nice to hear from you again. I could not resist a comeback . Who knows? Maybe there is hope for detractors or the uninformed to learn a new viewpoint. As an aside, there were also some antique and collectible pottery pieces and glassware there in the 'before" pictures. Hope they can use some of it in the new decor. Take care of yourself. Pat

Pat Green on March 6, 2013 at 4:01 pm
    • Hi Pat I collect old glass, like the pink and green glass, I have these pink glass dishes that were used for veggies to put in the ice box (before tupperware lol). And the green canning bottels, I love it. One oif my daughters has a cabnet she keeps old china, It is so pretty.

vicki_in_Utah on March 6, 2013 at 4:26 pm
    • Hi…yes, yes and yes….the beautiful antiques in the home will be inspiring ….and I agree about the glassware…I noticed that too. I have some green and pink depression ware and just really enjoy why they are called that and to hold some history in your hands is awesome. Like your daughter, I got a creamery cabinet at an auction that I love and put my finer things in. But though my son appreciates my taste for history, my daughter who is older does not care really. We have lived the last decade or more in a throwaway world. It is illogical to me, but things are "had" so easily that reclaiming isn't thought about. I still darn some of the socks if possible, and create little masterpieces out of nothing(like an old chicken coup I made into a coffee table…painted blue and a glass on top it is eye catching. The charm of purchases is not evident today…but it soon will be as the economic status of our country changes. The reuse of the old will take on new light and hope.

pickadillymonk on March 18, 2013 at 2:54 am
  9. DIY Team…

I had an issue with the re-design of this home. Despite the unquestionable challenges faced in this remodel… How do you take a 4-Bedroom home down to just 2-Bedrooms? The structural impacts are significant true… but essentially the home has been decimated and is now a bungalow.. Vacationing would be a tight fit for a lot of families…

Wendy on March 6, 2013 at 11:40 am
    • My theory….the redesign was predicated on using most of the original structure. That limited what would fit inside….and the original bedrooms were a bit small, by modern standards. Once the new foundation was done, the redesign was pretty-much set. The media/family room serves as a second guest bedroom with the murphy bed installed there. As redesigned, the place should be fine for an empty-nest couple. For us, it would mean that our kids and their families will need to take turns visiting….or the nine grandchildren will need to "camp out" on the family room floor. We do that now with our family lake cabin in Northern Minnesota. For a short period, it works out fine. I agree that this place will not work very well for a family.

RLD on March 6, 2013 at 3:20 pm
    • There were actually 5 bedrooms in the original 1600 sq ft house. Too many for comfort and most were tiny. Now we have a 2100 sq ft house with more bathrooms and two designated bedrooms, both good sized. In addition there are two rooms that either have a bed (the Media room upstairs) and the Foyer downstairs that could easily have a bed or twin beds. There's probably more bedroom space now than there was in the old house. Then there's the possibility of short term sleeping space with a couch bed or futon in the living room and more beds on a screened porch. :)

AnniesOwn on March 6, 2013 at 11:15 pm
    • What screened porch? Did I miss that?

vicki_in_Utah on March 7, 2013 at 9:02 am
    • LOL Vicki, The screened porch that WILL be there no matter who does it…..DIY or the new owner ;-)

karenlin91 on March 7, 2013 at 9:06 am
    • The upstairs bedroom is big enough that it could fit a queen bed and if has a 12 inch clearance there is plenty of room for a trundle bed.

Barbara/Virginia on March 8, 2013 at 8:03 am
    • I feel a little different from most. I have a small family and love peace and quiet. This home would be perfect for my small family. Just the wonderful sounds of the water and nature. What more can one ask for? It is like your own little Paradise! Thank you DIY Teams for updating this beautiful house full of history and beauty! Much Love!!! <3<3

Rebecca on March 8, 2013 at 7:41 am
  10. SID- Thanks for your reply yesterday about the landscaring ? look around. I love planting in my own yard. Wish I had Jason to plan mine. I am sure no matter what he does it will be beautiful. Wish I could handle the CAM camera better. I love it but zoom and then have trouble getting it back . Just enjoying this entire process of the building. what fun. ;) Looking forward to seeing who wins! Hope the winner says "Hello" to us on the Blog. <3 Best to all of us

Nan on March 6, 2013 at 12:32 pm
    • Nan, I'm really looking forward to all the garden projects, and it sounds like you are too. In the meantime I'm also especially enjoying the construction of the dock. I've never seen one built before, but always wondered how they could dig holes for the pier posts with the holes in sand saturated and sometimes covered with water. Somehow I always imagined a big crane pounding them into place – never two guys doing it all by hand! Awesome! Wishing you good luck in the contest also! <3

SID on March 6, 2013 at 4:55 pm
    • Casings? Those were used on a building where I was P.M. The water table wouldn't allow for pier drilling without the use of casings. That can get expensive with deep piers, but for these pilings, maybe not a big deal?

Wind Chime Girl on March 6, 2013 at 7:36 pm