Mar 5

Blog Cabin’s Renovation History

Additions made to Blog Cabin 2013

Today, I’d like to share a new article posted in our Remodeling of Blog Cabin 2013 package on HGTVRemodels.com. It’s all about additions made to the original Blog Cabin 2013 structure. Project manager Dylan Eastman and his team uncovered six separate renovations as they opened up walls, examined window frames and took a look at shingles and building materials. Even the age of nails helped the team separate original structure from add-on.

Read all about it here and then post comments below.

Note to bloggers: Zoom in on the grape arbor in the Cabin Cam.

• Posted at 12:50 pm on March 3, 2013

1. rsl73 (and maybe some others I have not read yet) made a good point: storm shutters! It would be a terrible thing to have windows blown because of the storms. When I lived in Germany we had rolladens…for those who don't know what a rolladen is, they are shutters that roll up out of sight. Not only do they protect the windows during storms, they also offer an extra level of privacy and security by blocking out both peeping toms and burglers. This would be an excellent investment for our NC BC!!! And the best part, it only takes seconds to roll them up/down at morning/night, when you leave (esp for a trip or only use for a vacation getaway), or during a storm AND they are hidden so therefore attractive…and is way better than nailing boards to the window and door frames!!! ;) :)

Shelly313 on March 14, 2013 at 9:57 am
    • Windows are already rated to hurricne category 2 (130mph) winds and toughened for coastal use. They should be OK. Shutters are fine but there's almost nowhere to hinge them on this house and the hinges actually compromise the strength of the siding where they're attached. They also provide wonderful nesting places for wasps etc.. I believe the local practice of fixing sheet plywood over windows in the event of a major hurricane would still be the best and easiest option if needed.

Clive on March 14, 2013 at 10:21 am
  2. Good morning everybody! Looks like I missed out on the cam stuck on panorama! Although, this morning the cam went straight in to a zoomed in pic of the house and did the same when I chose the water view…and without doing anything at all the pic changed randomly a couple of times before giving me the regular view of each. I think we have all asked the camera to do so much at once that we have driven it a bit insane!!! Poor camera!!! ;) :D Hope the camera, and everyone else has a wonderful and blessed day today!!!

Shelly313 on March 14, 2013 at 10:02 am
  3. Good Morning, everyone…

TishaStanley on March 14, 2013 at 10:19 am
  4. NEW VOTE!!! And new thread…….and they're all good!

karenlin91 on March 14, 2013 at 11:51 am
    • I couldn't get back to it thru the tabs, but can get there from the main tab and from the blog.

karenlin91 on March 14, 2013 at 11:54 am
  5. I hope the yard crashers have thought about a smoker for ribs and BBQ. After all it is NC and I think I read somewhere if you stay longer than a week without a smoker that you have to apply for a visitors visa,LOLxD

540sam on March 14, 2013 at 2:59 pm
    • Definitely, and then you have to be pared for the mustard or not argument!!! :)

Lia_M on March 14, 2013 at 6:21 pm
    • I visited some friends in NC a couple years ago and the big thing was just that! Along with country music and people dancing. It was down home fun and relaxing to boot!

pickadillymonk on March 17, 2013 at 3:20 am
  6. Hi guys! The dock is coming along really good. I can't wait to see the finished product. They are doing such a good job. I feel that I am missing so much not be able to be online as much as I like to. Maybe some of my buddies can fill me in on some of the things I may have missed? Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on March 14, 2013 at 3:26 pm
  7. I am soooooo excited about the new voting things. The one thing that excited me the most was the dog park!!!! I really really hope who ever wins this beautiful paradise dream house takes my dream and rescues some older dogs from the shelter! They are my passion. Please give these old dogs that will never be adopted or even put to death just because they are old. Please give them a life outside of a cage if even for a short time. If I were a dog right now they would put me down too. It is so sad. Anyway I am soooo happy that the DIY Team made the dog park!!! Just to know that it is there maybe the owner will consider it. The other thing I just love is the horse shoe pit!! That is a OLD OLD OLD family favorite at least for my family! All of the options are just awesome! Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on March 14, 2013 at 3:37 pm
  8. This form of communication is so much fun. I enjoy reading the many observations and ideas members write about. I wrote about an outside shower and then all of a sudden there it was on the voter's list! I know I had nothing to do with the decision, but it thrilled me to see it as part of the building of this great forever home. The history of this domicile tells me that it has endured throughtout weather, political changes, and family traditions. Viewing the furniture and accessories throughout the home prior to the renovation revealed so much color, authenticity, and well…personality! The beautiful furniture throughout the home plus the colors of the rooms, bedspreads, pictures, glassware….I imagine this home was hard to part with when the family decided to let it go….I loved the photo of the young girl. Wondered what her life was like and where her descendents ended up. Such history to work with! More than some of the other renovations it seems, or maybe I am just partial to the ocean site.

pickadillymonk on March 16, 2013 at 2:10 am
  9. I thought the driftwood would make a beautiful coffee table, but then the realization that the underpining wood for the home is so natural and would bring back more of the antiquation of the home back was revolutionary in it's concept. What a pleasure and joy to watch this re-creation unfold. I have no illusions about winning it, but certainly think it is a diamond in the rough and will remain a diamond after it is finished. Have fun you creators of this masterpiece as you delve into bringing the wood, paint, design and windows combined with the abundant environment of sea, sand and trees into an ethereal homestead to be cherished and loved for many more years.

pickadillymonk on March 16, 2013 at 2:19 am
  10. I am very glad to read this informative post . Thanks for making us aware with latest trends and renovations .

Adil javed on March 16, 2013 at 7:51 am