Mar 5

Blog Cabin’s Renovation History

Additions made to Blog Cabin 2013

Today, I’d like to share a new article posted in our Remodeling of Blog Cabin 2013 package on HGTVRemodels.com. It’s all about additions made to the original Blog Cabin 2013 structure. Project manager Dylan Eastman and his team uncovered six separate renovations as they opened up walls, examined window frames and took a look at shingles and building materials. Even the age of nails helped the team separate original structure from add-on.

Read all about it here and then post comments below.

Note to bloggers: Zoom in on the grape arbor in the Cabin Cam.

• Posted at 12:50 pm on March 3, 2013

1. I just saw that Chris. It's amazing how glad I was to see it! WooHoo!! They know we are here!!'-)

karenlin91 on March 5, 2013 at 4:49 pm
    • And we can all top driving ourselves crazy zooming into every corner looking for hidden messages! Of course we'll still go crazy zooming in on everything anyway – wouldn't want to miss a bit of the BC action!;)

SID on March 5, 2013 at 4:55 pm
  2. So exciting to see all the work at the pier and on the upstairs porch area. Things sure are moving along. So much fun to see the water view. Makes you realize just how much fun it would be to live in this home. I've started voting for the flat ceiling lately. I think it would look better but probably too late to change things. We're getting lots of snow again. Pretty out but a far different view than at our BC.

Hazelnut Deb on March 5, 2013 at 5:17 pm
    • I wonder what the flooring will be for the upstairs porch area? Have they said?

vicki_in_Utah on March 5, 2013 at 8:04 pm
    • Don't remember if they did.

Hazelnut Deb on March 6, 2013 at 10:26 am
  3. wow, coming along quickly now. I love seeing the dock being worked on. Except for the bugs, I bet a bench on the dock would be a great place to see sunsets and sunrises.. Oh yeah, snow expected 6-8 inches where I live in Iowa.

sandiiowa on March 5, 2013 at 5:34 pm
  4. I saw the new message at the grapevines!!! YAY…it's really great! To sandiiowa: PLEASE KEEP THE SNOW…NY does not want any more…. anyway, I am on pins and needles just from anticipation….Can't wait to see it completed!!!

TishaStanley on March 5, 2013 at 6:18 pm
  5. Thank You "Desperate Landscapes" for leaving us a note! Glad to see you on site!

Grammagail on March 5, 2013 at 6:19 pm
  6. Saw the little note and all the work at the dock! Terrific Tuesday to all of you!

We are having a sunshiney day wih temps at 28 degrees right now. Beautiful day!

Also, thanks for the history and head nod to old construction techniques!

amberPA on March 5, 2013 at 6:45 pm
  7. Dylan, that was very fascinating! I've always been enthralled with construction and architecture plus the design that goes into it. So I even studied it some in college, just for the fun of it. Reading how the Robinson family grew their home as they grew is so interesting. Amazing that the home stayed together over all these years, for the Outer Banks have certainly had their share of Nor'easters and hurricanes, much like SE or Hampton Roads,VA, where You and I have lived! You've done a magnificent job creating a charming seaside farmhouse and, without a doubt, did what was necessary to rebuild, foundation upward, once you got in there. And Thank YOU, Mary for all you do with managing, monitoring and editing our blog, the webpages, educating us, gee, you cover so much ground! I have enjoyed your engagement with us this year–you are a super lady! This is, indeed, turning out to be the best Blog Cabin experience! DIY and Scripps got the Team right!! Thank you! All the best to you both and to TEAM DIY!!!B)<3<3<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 5, 2013 at 6:46 pm
    • Ditto,Ditto Ditto! so well said Kitty! Mary and the whole BC team has been doing an incredible job this year!:D<3<3 Thank you all so very much!

SID on March 6, 2013 at 11:32 am
    • Thanks SID! AND NOW, FOR THE NEWS, FOLKS! Today, Wednesday, March 6, 2013, The "Virginian Pilot " newspaper which also serves a large Northern portion of North Carolina reports on a decision which WILL affect the winner/owner of the Atlantic, NC Blog Cabin! The article, I must note, also mentions CARTERET COUNTY INSURANCE RATES… YIKES!!!
      The VA and NC areas are of course now getting the storm which has battered the Plains and Midwestern States. The OBX (Outer Banks) Ferries are on standby to shut down and there is some water here and there already on low-lying areas, so we are under flood watch. I can see wind gusts in my back yard that appear around 40-45 mph– well, oops now speeding up! Hmmm… Try to finish miscellaneous comments lest I lose power. Saw another note—one that looks like a Post-it note on top left corner of glass door to main entry foyer! Wouldn't you know, with maximum Camera magnification I still could see NO WRITING on it–TOO FAINT!!! NEED DARK FELT TIP PEN TO READ, I THINK! DYLAN? LAURIE? MARY?, ANYONE AT DIY??? Thanks!<3<3<3xD Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 6, 2013 at 6:01 pm
    • Thanks for the article, Kitty. Sounds like the new owner of BC will be "screwed" as well.
      Stay safe and keep your head down.

Wind Chime Girl on March 6, 2013 at 7:29 pm
    • Ouch! Hopefully the care taken in building the cabin will be taken into account…….but still, Ouch!

karenlin91 on March 7, 2013 at 9:21 am
    • Good luck Kitty, I hope you aren't hit badly in this newest storm. Listening to all some of you are going thru makes me not miss "real weather" so much .

karenlin91 on March 7, 2013 at 9:23 am
    • Thank you, Karenlin! The area had wind gusts to near 60 mph, loads of rain, downed trees and street flooding, but we were safe, thank God! Looks as if there were some winds down at our BC! Weather in VA has been really crazy–our Governor called a State of Emergency. It has been a difficult Winter for lots of people much more so than in VA. My heart goes out to so many who are still hurting… ^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 7, 2013 at 9:20 pm
    • Kitty, hope you made out ok. Storm sounds bad….Will say one for you and yours…<3 Windee :)

Windee :) on March 7, 2013 at 11:33 pm
    • Well, I think CT has it now, Storm passed us! How are you, Windee? Saw some film on Weather Channel from MA and CT that didn't look too comfortable. Lots of Virginia got snow, but our area, being so near beach and salt water did not. We just got winds, while those but the water got higher than usual tides plus wind, but all's well, some downed trees. Could have been worse. I just got a Facebook message from Ken. He went by the Maine BC on Tuesday when he was in Waldoboro and said the place looks so sad and unkept. There are uprooted trees, decimated bushes, all shades are down, of course it isn't shovelled but he said it just seems so abandoned. No sale sign. Ken is still trying to find a place to call home in Maine. Lots to do on my list today. take good care of yourself–I sure hope and pray that things are looking up your way, Windee. I'm beginning to be able to move around more with my back, but not running any wind sprints. At least i'm not flattened out like last week! ;) xDB)<3<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 8, 2013 at 11:42 am
    • Hi Kitty, I saw your reply above in the other section, in ref to wind chimes, I've always loved them, drive my husband crazy with them. Last summer I started making chimes of all kinds and sold a few at a craft fair I went to last fall. It's so much fun to make them, it's hard to decide which ones I can part with! Thanks for asking,
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 8, 2013 at 5:37 pm
    • And Kitty, thank you for your kind words for me, back at you sweetie!!
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 8, 2013 at 7:19 pm
    • Egads!!! I took a look at my other post to you, which I stated I was typing in the dark… Looks like I was also submerged in somebody's stash of fer ment ed mash– BTW, I did split that up lest the word police are around with their blue light special! I can't believe I let THAT one post–nor that you could make any sense out of it!:$ Mercy me! What have I wrought? Sometimes it might pay to be an armadillo, hide in my shell and just roll away, embarassed! :$:S
      I want you to know I love wind chimes! My favorite of all, since i love Maine, is the wrought iron one that needs a good brisk wind to sound like the bell bouy closest to Pemaquid Point Lighthouse, where we go annually. Between it and a combo of some other lovely chimes, there is a perfect crescendo timber to the finale light ting-a-ling that an Irish Clover one renders. Such music to my ears, when reading a good book. Must sound harmoneous to our neighbors–never a peep nor complaint!! I think I'll keep them all, and my ears and eyes always open for more. Let my symphony play on, play on, play on…. :) ^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 9, 2013 at 12:40 am
    • Kitty, So sorry to hear you were not up to par . Glad your able to get around more with each passing day. That's good news:) Also glad to hear you didn't get the messy weather and no flood damage!. Down trees not good,(Mother nature has a way of rearranging things) time to plant new ones? Could it be Maine BC not up for sale? Too bad about the pretty property:(. Hope it is an easy fix. Spring is just about here, maybe then Maine BC can be attended too, too far to go to maintain from the mid west? Sounds like it is snowed in too?

Windee :) on March 8, 2013 at 5:41 pm
    • continued:
      We only got 4 or 5 inches of snow here. Far cry from the last big storm of 38+ inches. So 4 or 5 inches was a dusting comparatively speaking and manageable. TG Spring is right around the corner….(SID, daffodils are up 4 to 5 inches …Yay! )Cut down tall dead plants yesterday, didn't rake it out just yet, too early. Didn't cut down early in the season as I wanted to wait so I could harvest the seeds. Have buds on the Rose bushes too :) Can't wait to dig in the dirt! At least warmer weather will be on the way soon and I can shed my wool socks and spend time outdoors, soaking up some vitamin D!…Other than that things are pretty much the same, no big changes to report. Hope all is well with you and the blog today. Lots of excited bloggers….fun to read…. Not much time to spend blogging. Enjoy reading what I can when I can and a post here and there. Take Care and God Bless all of you! <3B) Windee :)

Windee :) on March 8, 2013 at 5:41 pm
    • PS…Good Luck to Ken…Hope he finds what he is looking for soon. :)

Windee :) on March 8, 2013 at 5:43 pm
  8. Thanks for the review of the house's history, which fascinated me from the first day I read about it, and imagined the happy family (families) whose spirit was inspired by this welcoming space. Like the other bloggers, I searched all weekend for the "clue" which I found today on the grapevine–of course we KNEW that Desperate Landscapers would lend a hand, but I am curious about the planks that you laid down going toward the old pier… will this be a walkway or will it be concrete, to allow us to drive to the pier with our boat trailer? I have wondered what happened to the structure that used to be adjacent to the grape arbor–I thought that we might have a real garage with a guest suite above? Just a thought… I was curious about the old "tricycle" and wondering if the property is close enough to reach a store by using this tricycle? Like others, I watch and wait, marveling at the job all the DIY crews can actually accomplish–making a 'silk purse out of a sow's ear', so to speak… not that the cottage didn't have a peaceful and beautiful vibe, but truly it was all in need of the TLC that only DIY could provide. I love watching this day by day, and I will love watching the Blog Cabin show to see it all unfold, up close and personal ;=) Thank you for all the wonderful hopes and dreams about living in NC again and being close to my daughters and grandchildren once more. Even though I know I won't win, I do know what a blessing this will be to the winners, and I hope you know how much we all appreciate your teams at DIY and HGTV….

BrookwoodCarolina on March 5, 2013 at 7:13 pm
  9. Maybe nothing is of value in the monetary sense, but to me, what ever is salvaged is paying homage and respect to the history of the cottage and most importantly the familys that lived there.

Dghawk4 on March 5, 2013 at 7:29 pm
    • There were quite a few of the old things that, if salvageable, would enhance the feeling of history in this cabin. I'm with you there, Dottie! :D Judy

JudyInMich on March 5, 2013 at 7:59 pm
    • ^_^

Dghawk4 on March 5, 2013 at 8:13 pm
    • I can't stand it–gotta' jump in with the Bloggies! Hi, Dottie! I really liked what you said about paying homage and respect to the history and Robinson Family that built the home literally around their Family, as IT grew! Especially, since structurally, the place necessitated reconstruction from foundation upwards. Whatever the motive for stating something so adamantly against designing the interior with character reminiscent of its historic past, is befuddling! Integrating some of the wonderful pottery, antiques, and china the Robinsons collected and DIY purchased for the purpose, has been clearly part of this process from the beginning. Anyone who disagrees has freedom to NOT participate. Period. Nothing hurt. Nobody offended. I'm so glad so many Bloggers spoke up. I think, as you so wisely spoke, Dghawk4, the Robinsons and the Cabin's History are Redeemed. Thanks to all.<3 <3<3

Now I beg to use this space to address the Offender: Sad for you, Peterjohnny, for it seems you're missing out on the very reason DIY does these BC and the majority of us chose to join this Blog. Every mistake is redeemable, my friend, but when one is just joining a group, the best way to win friends and influence people is to extend a hand of mutuality, rather than the wind of a bafoon. Remember what this blog is about and we will gladly welcome you… :o :| Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 6, 2013 at 10:51 pm
    • I agree with many of the others that PJ was just trying to rile some people up but on the off chance that he actually believes everything should be junked, he's as entitled to that opinion as anyone else. To tell him if he disagrees he should NOT participate is just plain wrong.

Ishmael on March 7, 2013 at 3:45 am
    • Ishmael, I appreciate what you stated, but I do hope that you will re-read what I said. I don't believe that I told Peterjohnny not to participate. I spoke to the level of 17+ responses from the Bloggies that were in unison, concerned that Peterjohnny, while he was entitled to his opinion, wasn't understanding the venue that DIY has set up, and that it's OK to disagree and if he wins he can throw it all away, but the Bloggers were just explaining the value to the history and, yes, of some of the antiques that were to be used. What I attempted to address was the issue of coming into a group–a blog–as new and perhaps finding common ground for communication rather than coming in like a storm. I am a great grandmother. Peterjohnny , to me, sounded like a youthful sort who just didn't think of what he said or how it might come across. My words, in fact were words which attempted to explain that we wanted to welcome him, but our response to him was based upon his sharp "pounce?" We bloggers have ALL disagreed on different points. That is normal here. Disagreement with Peterjohnny is and was NEVER part of my effort, but explaining how we can get together WAS! Hope this clarifies to you and others, my sincere intent, Ishmael.^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 7, 2013 at 3:25 pm
    • I find you to be a very interesting and intelligent person. I think we should be held accountable in all respects, and most of what I have seen written by folks on this blog are intelligent and insightful comments. I am learning alot just reading what Mary and her crew write and also how our group, and we are a group, respond with varying degrees of knowledge and creativity. We change frequently only when countered…and hopefully we are teachable. There is a clarity of welcome in the building of these "dream" homes and it just opens so many doors for people who want to get involved. I seem to learn something new or interesting every time I study the photos or read a new clip. A desire for a "dream home", and all the homes through HGTV/DIY,,,,are just that….homes that most of us could never have unless we win. But there is so much to gain by just participating in the votes,etc.

pickadillymonk on March 18, 2013 at 2:27 am
    • I hope that whoever does win this sweet home cherishes every ounce of effort that has been put into it. I believe that will be the case. Regardless of initial contemplations. So much work is put into the research, site, structure, design and decoration not excluding the talent of people who choose the furniture, fabrics and so much else. It is amazing. I pray we all appreciate each other, as I have come to appreciate the thoughtfulness I see written with comments. This is a joyful endeavor, for everyone, including us.

pickadillymonk on March 18, 2013 at 2:34 am
    • Hi, Pickadillymonk! Thanks for your comments–and I agree with you! I have learned so much in the 2 years I've been part of this blog along with the year before, in which I just voted and kind of lurked and read posts. I had never participated in a blog nor in social media, so it has been a passage of time and long learning curve for this great-grandmother! LOL! Sadly, somethings we say don't come out quite as understood the way we intended them to be and that can be frustrating… You're right on, that these HGTV places, no doubt would just be dreams for most of us, unless won. But they may still be dreams IF won too, due to the tax and transfer fees, etc. I know the family that won the beautiful Maine place are having a challenge–they haven't even seen BC2012 in person yet. And taxes in Waldoboro, ME are very steep! Even to keep the place will be hard. Yes, it IS a dream! Don't you LOVE how the NC place is coming along? I live on the Virginia coast and doubt I would personally try to keep it if for some far-fetched reason i were to win it, but it is very well built–so much great info in the http://www.HGTVRemodels.com tab section at the top of the BC Web page– real interesting how they extra-braced this place against high storm winds! Learned lots there too. Delighted to exchange info with you! Good luck! Many blessings! Pickadillymonk!xD^_^:) Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 18, 2013 at 5:57 pm
    • I can't stand it–gotta' jump in with the Bloggies! Hi, Dottie! I really liked what you said about paying homage and respect to the history and Robinson Family that built the home literally around their Family, as IT grew! Especially, since structurally, the place necessitated reconstruction from foundation upwards. Whatever the motive for stating something so adamantly against designing the interior with character reminiscent of its historic past, is befuddling! Integrating some of the wonderful pottery, antiques, and china the Robinsons collected and DIY purchased for the purpose, has been clearly part of this process from the beginning. Anyone who disagrees has freedom to NOT participate. Period. Nothing hurt. Nobody offended. I'm so glad so many Bloggers spoke up. I think, as you so wisely spoke, Dghawk4, the Robinsons and the Cabin's History are Redeemed. Thanks to all. :) :/<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 7, 2013 at 1:28 am
    • Hi, Kitty. Thanks. I normally don't comment or get into discussions of that nature, but what he said really hit a raw nerve with me. When I moved to VA, I brought quite a bit of "junque" with me. But as the were things that were given to me from friends, friend's children, and things that I grew up with, that was how I kept these friends and family with me. That's what made my house home. Then I lost it all when the house burned. I have a few things now, but it will never be the same. I guess that's one reason it bothered me. Most of it didn't have much, if any monetary value, but it was treasure to me.

Dghawk4 on March 8, 2013 at 7:11 pm
    • That point you made may have lay in my unconscious as well. Oh, dear Dottie! My heart goes out to you–i have not had a fire, but i've been in a flood which buried my home for 8days in 7.6 ft of raw sewerage tainted river water and dead animal remains. When there is total loss, the feeling inside, even as one recovers over time, that inner thing is like a haunting. One cannot replace treasures like baby books, or family items–even when they haven't monetary value–but they carry memories. I sure understand. I did react and I apologized, but that has not been accepted, for I have a couple of folks who continue to show their irritation with me. Can't change that…. I just hoped to make peace, but missed the boat. You did nothing wrong. I saw no offense in your statement. Frankly, I've made a couple posts today that were absolutely positive–and still someone's upset. Win some, lose some. If someone has never walked in your moccasins, Dottie, they won't understand. My heart goes out to you and I pray that you are being restored and, your heart and life and that of those you love are healing. Much love, your friend, Kitty<3

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 8, 2013 at 7:44 pm
    • I extend empathy to you…living in a condo before, the condo next to me burnt to the ground! The firewall in between the condos prevented total destruction of the condos on either side of the burnt one. We were actually able to give the young man and his son some things afterwards. They handled it well tho, and the outpouring of help from people certainly helped. I lost things that could be replaced…got my son and our furbabies out and that was the most important. I pray that you might win this nice home…or someone like you. Things will look up, with faith and endurance. Many blessings

pickadillymonk on March 18, 2013 at 2:41 am
    • Dear Pickadillymonk, You have really touched my heart today! Wow! Thank you for sharing your story and I am so happy that you, your Son and Furbabies got out safely, along with many of your things! That still had to be so difficult for you–and how generous-hearted to share with the one who lost all!!! I join you in wishing that someone like DGHAWK4, Yourself (YES!) or someone who has gone through loss of some deep kind but now would be, somehow, able to make the BC home–a respite–and escape to a bit of paradise on earth–how I wish that for someone Special whom God chooses!!! :D After my flood in 1979, I even had to destroy my clothes on my back, because of the raw sewerage water I had to escape through. What I am saying now, i beg to not be perceived as bragging, but as what it is–an affirmation of God's Grace and restoration, OK? Please. Yes, I lost everything in that flood. There were many excruciating years for my children and me after, trying to put our lives back together. 25 years ago, I met and my little consulting business was retained by a wonderful man, Gary Zaugg. We dated, fell in love, He later took me to the Virginia Beach Oceanfront, and, before we headed out to sit on the sand and count and time the waves, said my business consulting fees were too expensive, would I save him/his company some fee costs by marrying him? We celebrate 23 years of being best buds, this coming July. :) I now have all that I need or could want! And, yesterday I just posted again to Rebecca the amazing true story of how I was healed of metastasized pancreatic, liver, stomach and duodenal cancer and medical proof was shown us on January 4th plus there was a link to an encouraging praise song for Rebecca, since she had been having a bad day. I have so much to be grateful for Pickadillymonk!!! God bless you!^_^xD:) kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 18, 2013 at 7:54 pm
    • Hmmm…I wrote abit, then tried to send and I don't know what happened. I will try again…thankyou for your response. Your story is endearing and enduring. It is good to share with others who have benefitted from faith…and you certainly have. Also nice to hear that there may be hope for me in the finding a forever companion. My kids have always taken precedence too . I find joy in life on a continual basis, and part of that joy is meeting new people and making new friends. This site is so much fun, and educational too. Thankyou too from the bottom of my heart!!!!!You are certainly blessed!!!!

pickadillymonk on March 19, 2013 at 12:09 am
  10. Mary and Dylan, thanks for the history of the cottage. So fascinating the way they figured how to expand as the family grew. I need to go back and re-read the article. I basically skimmed it the first time so I'm sure I've missed some tidbit or other of information.

BLOG CABIN FANS<3DESPARATE LANDSCAPES, TOO!

Dghawk4 on March 5, 2013 at 7:35 pm