Mar 5

Blog Cabin’s Renovation History

Additions made to Blog Cabin 2013

Today, I’d like to share a new article posted in our Remodeling of Blog Cabin 2013 package on HGTVRemodels.com. It’s all about additions made to the original Blog Cabin 2013 structure. Project manager Dylan Eastman and his team uncovered six separate renovations as they opened up walls, examined window frames and took a look at shingles and building materials. Even the age of nails helped the team separate original structure from add-on.

Read all about it here and then post comments below.

Note to bloggers: Zoom in on the grape arbor in the Cabin Cam.

• Posted at 12:50 pm on March 3, 2013

1. Good morning bloggers, it is my belief that like all mechanical equiptment, if overloaded it will revert back to the safety mode (panorama). While all of us are very curious, we keep giving the camera direction and zoom adjustments, alot for one camera. I 'm sure all the jumping around, to different views, are a result of our enthusiasm to keep up with the progress. I really don't believe that the camera trouble is the DIY team trying to pull a surprise on us, but you be the judge.
    I hope you all have a great day and pleasent dreams of living in such a beautiful cottage by the sea.

Jimbo on March 13, 2013 at 4:17 am
    • I agree, Jimbo. We seem to be giving the camera quite a workout. We may be overheating the servo motors that move and refocus the camera, causing it to take "time-out". Another possibility is that all the rain caused an electrical short and it simply had to dry out…..or maybe someone tripped on the cord and it needed to be plugged back in…. I also doubt that the BC people are temporarily blacking us out in order to sneak in a surprise….as interesting as that might be. However, anything is possible.

RLD on March 13, 2013 at 7:54 am
    • I figured they put it on panorama, when there is something going on they don't want us to see LOL

vicki_in_Utah on March 13, 2013 at 8:43 am
  2. Good morning, All! It seems that the crew is already hard at work. At the water, the posts for the dock look orange/red, so I looked a little closer. It's the way the morning sun is hitting them. Wouldn't that be a beautiful sight to see every morning?

Tisha

TishaStanley on March 13, 2013 at 7:33 am
  3. Morning at the blog cabin. The garden beside the house is so pretty with the daffodils in bloom. I would love to walk the grounds and look at all of the plants. Its hard not to imagine bringing my shears and some twine to tie up the grape vines. The grape vines are such a welcome sight this spring!
    The crew has begun to work for another day of transformation. Have a great day DIY Team and fellow bloggers! Becky:)<3

bythebaydreamer on March 13, 2013 at 8:04 am
  4. Good morning, bloggers! Another beautiful day on Core Sound. A couple of you must get up really early (Jimbo?). Since retiring, we don't set alarms. Getting up this early requires intervention from the dog! It was nice to see the early morning sky. Looks like a great day for work on the dock!

RLD on March 13, 2013 at 8:10 am
    • I hope that is what they are doing today. But looks like they are using the lift thingy, so they must be working on the upstairs deck too. My little ankle biter gets me up about 6am but that is 8am at the BC. So they are already at work.

vicki_in_Utah on March 13, 2013 at 8:40 am
    • My dog didn't wake me this morning, my daughter did–to go to work….

TishaStanley on March 13, 2013 at 8:55 am
  5. A great day for installing all the drainfield lines. You will see the long black plastic drainage tile just to the upper right of the loads of rock, barely visable behind the bushes.

Builder on March 13, 2013 at 8:36 am
    • Oh that's what that is, thanks Builder.

vicki_in_Utah on March 13, 2013 at 8:38 am
    • Good Morning Builder, thank you so much for all the information and details you have given the Bloggers, we really appreciate you sharing your knowledge and know-how with us..
      I really would like to know if you have any contact with any of the Crew at the Cottage and if so, would you please call one of them and ask if they would put our Desperate Landscapes Sign back up on the corner of the Grapevine so we can see it? It was blown down during the last storm that came through…We would be so grateful if you could do that!!!
      I asked you before but missed your answer, do you think there is room for a double covered roof Pergola on the North side of the Septic Tanks towards the driveway?? If they built that area up would there be room??? The Cottage needs a Garage but I don't think that is going to happen so I thought a Pergola would at least protect the Cars from the Summer Hot Sun and from the Pine Sap from the trees..Thank you again for any info you can give us…Have a Good Day!!!:)

Jennie/Florida on March 13, 2013 at 9:54 am
    • Don't think so. Drain fields, when done correctly, require lots of room. Please go to one of the NC Septic System rules and regulations websites, and you will see how drainfields are designed. There is a main line coming out of the septic tank, with laterals, forming a large T, going out the required distance, which are the larger black plastic lines. These laterals must be spaced, according the the perc test, to allow for good seepage of the liquids, without overloading any one line. These laterals must have just a little grade, so all liquids do not go into just one line. Hope this info helps. If the lines are too close together, the ground becomes saturated, resulting in early line failure, and poor seepage. Some states require 12" diameter laterals, covered with a nylon sock, to keep out any soil. allowing all seep holes to remain functional. Too bad there is not a camera in that direction, so all viewers will understand how a septic system is developed.

Builder on March 13, 2013 at 10:16 am
    • Builder, Thank you for all your input. Hopefully someone will take pictures of the process with the septic system so we can see how it was done. (fingers crossed)

karenlin91 on March 13, 2013 at 2:49 pm
    • Thanks for the explanation (Builder). Makes a lot of sense. After I win and move in, I'll probably need to consult with you about an appropriate location for the garage/carport that I'll build so I don't disturb the septic system/drain field…..(the eternal optimist).

RLD on March 13, 2013 at 1:47 pm
    • The most logical place for a garage/carport, is where the old structure existed, before it was torn down. That location is directly behind the grape vines and arbor. You must not drive on any drainfield, and do not do any digging close to the underground laterals. Hopefully, the new owner will build a nice white fence along that side of the driveway, to prevent any distrubing of the drainfield. Large boulders would be an ideal fix to keep vehicles away from the drainfield, since it is so close to the driveway.

Builder on March 13, 2013 at 6:42 pm
  6. The daffodilis are so pretty, I wonder if they have tulips too?

vicki_in_Utah on March 13, 2013 at 8:42 am
  7. I am not voting this morning I am saving it for this afternoon when the new round for the outside starts. Can;t wait..

vicki_in_Utah on March 13, 2013 at 8:45 am
    • Hi Vicki, Today is the last day to vote on the Living Rm things and We start voting Tomorrow on the Outdoor Space!!! So you can get your last votes in for today! Can't wait for tomorrow to see what they have for us to vote on for the outdoor space…My Favorites Space and I think yours too?? <3<3B)

Jennie/Florida on March 13, 2013 at 10:54 am
  8. Finally getting the upstairs French doors in! YAYYY!!!

Bev on March 13, 2013 at 11:15 am
  9. I think most of us agree that the house is beautiful and the workmanship is great, but I agree with Vicki and Jennie, I am also waiting for the outside options to vote on. The whole process is very exciting and the anticipation is a big part of this whole process.

Jimbo on March 13, 2013 at 11:17 am
  10. First of all I would like to say I know how important it is to have a Septic tank that is Functional, meets all the Requirements, Codes and Services the Home adequately, but what these Guys are doing on the North side looks like a Major production…Our Home has a Septic Tank and when they installed it, there was nothing they did looks even close to what these Guys are doing!! Just saying it looks as though the Septic Tanks are going to be the "Focal Point" for the North side of the Cottage, taking all the Room and No Garage!! Bummer!

Second– Have you Bloggers thought of what Shape of Entry Steps you would like to see for the Waterside French doors? Half Moon Style—-Square!!! What do you think would look best for this Style of Cottage??

Third–Where would you like to see an Outdoor Shower be located? Down at the Dock or Outside the Mud Room Door? Step down from the Patio to the Master bathroom Wall?? …With a shower Curtain Cubical!

Fourth–Where would you like to see a Station for Cleaning Fish? On the Patio with a built in separate sink and separate counter top for fish cleaning or Down by the Dock…Please.Remember that the smell of fish draws Sharks and Hungry Birds!!—- Over by the Septic tanks???

My Choices…Half Moon Shape steps—to give a little something extra with the square Cottage look.
    By the Master bathroom wall—Could have a little shower with curtain cubical
    On the Patio with a Separate Sink /Counter top for Cleaning Fish–would be easier cleanup

I thought It would be fun and interesting to see what all of you devoted Bloggers thought and would choose!!!

Jennie/Florida on March 13, 2013 at 2:02 pm
    • Hi Jennie/Florida….I really like the way your mind works!

I like thee half-moon shape for the front porch steps; I think I'd put the outdoor shower on he mudroom side, as close to the mudroom as possible without looking tacky (by the way, if they are already putting in drywall, if the plumbing plans didn't include an outdoor shower, it is probably not happening); the fish cleaning has to be away from the water/dock (the temptation would be too great for some to toss the fish guts into the water, attracting sharks). Based on experience with fish cleaning at our extended-family cabin in MN, I think I'd want fish cleaning done away from the patio and house….so, I guess I don't know where I'd put that….just know where I wouldn't want it.

RLD on March 13, 2013 at 2:15 pm
    • Hi Jennie. I think I would like to see the steps flaired out at the bottom on the sound side and also on the main entrance to distinguish the entrance from the bedroom entrance. Im sure that they will run water and electric to the dock so I would like to see the cleaning station to the right or left of where the dock presently stops. I think near the mudroom would make sense for the outdoor shower.

540sam on March 13, 2013 at 2:47 pm
    • Hi, Jennie, to answer what I'd like…I like the idea of a half-moon shape but with a flair at the bottom, The outside shower, maybe a little closer to the dock? Not really sure. A fish cleaning station both away from the house and the water…I like to swim so inviting sharks is not what I want to do.

Just a thought on the septic tanks…aren't they under ground?

TishaStanley on March 13, 2013 at 3:06 pm
    • Hi Trisha, yes the Septic Tanks are underground but are taking up a lot of space, I guess all the run outs from the tanks take up room…..Yes I do like the flare at the bottom also and should have added that with my question…guess I was just thinking round or square but the flare would add more room and style to the steps!

Jennie/Florida on March 13, 2013 at 3:24 pm
    • Hi Jennie! Either style steps would be fine with me. But I think the shower should be by the mud room, and as far as the fish cleaning station, all of them that I have seen here in Tidewater, both fresh and salt, are either on the pier or just off the pier. Definately NOT on or near the patio. If the flies didn't eat all your guests, the smell would run them off. xD Just don't do any swimming while the fish are being cleaned.B)

Dghawk4 on March 13, 2013 at 4:08 pm
    • Hi Dottie, I didn't mean to clean the fish while You had guest LOL..Not unless they are unwanted guest! You have to catch your Fish early Morning and clean them right away and put them on ice and when your Guests arrives there is no sign of fish smell around because You have already taken care of that earlier with Lysol Antibacterial Cleaner kills 99.9% Bacteria and the smell is gone No tale, tale Odor. LOL, do I sound like a Commercial??? LOL!!! My Husband trained me how to prepare for a fish Fry, He handed me the Fishing Rod and said Go getummmm!!!! LOL So You're ready to party and enjoy your Big Catch of the morning by Grilling, Broiling or Frying… :pB)

Jennie/Florida on March 13, 2013 at 6:22 pm
    • Well, that would depend on the amount of fish caught, what type they are, and their size. I'm not sure what fish there are in the area, but for really large fish(5 pounds or larger), I like them either cut into filet portions or crosswise into steaks and grilled. Brushed with a little lemon butter, salt and pepper. For fish in the 3 pound range, like Rockfish, I like to leave whole, stuff the cavity with slices of onion, green pepper, and lemon. Salt and pepper liberally inside and out, wrap in foil with more onion and lemon on the outside of the fish,and either bake in the oven or on the grill. Of course, maybe some filets dipped in beer batter and deep fried. I've also had Rockfish cut in like 1-2 inch chunks in tempura battered and deep fried. Then if you have the time, how about smoked. Can you tell I LOVE FISH!!!!xDB)

Dghawk4 on March 13, 2013 at 7:00 pm
    • Well, I must have used a no-no word, because my reply disappeared! Anyway, I love fish, no matter how it's cooked, but it depends on the variety, and size. Really large, 5 pounds or larger, I like filets or steaks grilled. 2-3 pounders I like to wrap in foil with sliced onions, peppers and lemon, and either bake or put on the grill. Then there's tempura battered nuggets(1-2 inch chunks) deep fried, and beer battered & fried filets. Or if there's time and enough fish, how about some smoked.B)

Dghawk4 on March 13, 2013 at 8:09 pm
    • Never, never have a fish cleaning station that doesn't have a drain straight to a sewer or septic. If you don't drain it in a sanitary manner the smell will be nasty bad. It will attract vermin like rats & raccoons plus flies etc. I'm not concerned about sharks at all even if there are some in the sound. It's the unsanitary runoff that must be avoided so absolutely no fish cleaning station on the dock unless it's connected directly to the septic (not a chance) ;) I would be very surprised if they're allowed on docks for this reason. The kitchen will have a big farmhouse-style sink which should be ideal for fish cleaning unless you're thinking of doing it on an industrial scale. :)

Clive on March 13, 2013 at 5:24 pm
    • The septic tank and drain field are the major operation of the entire home. Without a correctly installed septic system, and proper drainfield, the house can not operate correctly. Those folks who are hooked up to city water and sewer, or have old, old septic systems and drain fields, do not realize that living in the country is much different than in the city. There have been tons of updates to septic systems in the past 30 years, every year getting more restrictive. The reason for all these required updates, is to prevent water pollution, not only in wells, but in lakes and streams, which is causing so many problems in this country. I hope this solves lots of the questions. Many drainfields can cover up to 1 full acre in size, depending on the number of bedrooms and bathrooms. New requirements call for more frequent cleanout of the tanks, usually every 2-3 years, or more, depending on the your county requirements. Frequent cleanout of solids will make your system last that much longer, trouble free.

Builder on March 13, 2013 at 5:33 pm
    • Builder, our perc test didn't show we had to have the sprinkler system so we have the leach field (that's what it's called around here), thank goodness!! And our drain & leach field, all told, is probably close to an acre. I'll 2nd your stress on the importance of the septic tank and drain system. And the importance of having the acreage to have the drainfield well away from the well and all surface water systems whether spring fed or seasonal. Our aquifer is very deep, but everything seeps down eventually. It's all a fine line and there are more restrictions mandated every year.
      Builder, we all thank you for your input, keep it coming!
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 16, 2013 at 11:07 pm
    • I like the shower near the mud room door since the powder room is close by the 2 combined act as a full bath when there is a lot of guests ( it must be big enough to clean my large dogs in). I like the idea of wide rectangular flared steps with the top on being maybe 6 by 4 feet. As far as fish cleaning I would probably place it close to the front patio or dock. Since I don't eat fish I don't intend to clean much of it and it would morph as a bar.

zulumom on March 13, 2013 at 5:47 pm
    • The bar idea is one of the most practical yet!

RLD on March 13, 2013 at 8:07 pm
    • The entry steps should be straight and simple in keeping with the style of both the original and new cottage. I don't know how many noticed, but the rooflines around the second floor gable were framed out with more detail originally, they even started to shingle it that way but then changed it to the simple style it is now.

There are already two walls in place between the mudroom door and powder room that would need only a short outside wall extension and a door facing the water to become an outdoor shower at deck level which as someone else mentioned would be useful with a house full of people. No curtain please, it would be a problem with wind, dirt, dust – a door a foot or so off the deck to about six feet up would be fine. Show your ankles – you're on vacation!

NO FISH CLEANING NEAR THE HOUSE! Flies, bees, stink, no thank you; If one is needed the dock is the only place for it!

Ishmael on March 14, 2013 at 3:37 pm
    • My bar idea wouldn't stink though.

zulumom on March 14, 2013 at 5:56 pm
    • xDxDxDxDxDxD:p:p;)<3Boo

Boo on March 16, 2013 at 4:50 pm
    • Boo, are you the one going through these comments and giving a Thumbs Down? Why?
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 16, 2013 at 11:10 pm
    • WCG, Definitely not! Why would you think that? By the by, I am just reading you post now…it is 10am on Tuesday morning….it's showing that you commented 2 days ago. At this time 2 days ago (Sunday), I was at work. I worked from 6am to 6pm and have no access to computer. Sorry, you've got the wrong person.:) Boo

Boo on March 19, 2013 at 10:18 am
    • I think maybe it's because I didn't understand the little face things – I understand the happy faces, but I can't see the first ones well enough to tell what they are – they looked like grimaces to me – that's all I got, I apologize for questioning you, please forgive?
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 19, 2013 at 4:11 pm
    • Wind Chime Girl, Apology accepted!:) The faces were in response to Zulumom's post: "my bar idea wouldn't stink though." I thought it was so funny and tongue in cheek. I thought the faces were laughing so hard that tears were coming out of their eyes. Then they had to gasp for air, hence, the protruding tongues (like a puppy dogs panting). Just to be on the safe side, I included the smiley and heart. Oh well, as they say, "the best laid plans…..". Hope Zulumom did not think I was dissing her.:)<3 Boo

Boo on March 19, 2013 at 5:02 pm
    • P.S. WCG Maybe we need DIY to label their emoticons, because I can see how there can be any number of interpretations.;)<3 Boo

Boo on March 19, 2013 at 5:13 pm
    • Boo, I am so sorry I questioned you and it's all my fault because :
      1 – I was tired and feeling bad (as it turned out I had a little stomach virus coming on (for ~ 12 hrs) and didn't know it at the time,
      2 – Even with my reading spec's on, I couldn't see what the little faces seemed to mean &
      3 – Well, I guess there is no #3, I'm just scrambling for justification for my inconsiderate words to you, and there are none.
      Thank you for accepting my apology.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 19, 2013 at 9:19 pm
    • WindChimeGirl, No need to explain. Hope you feel better soon!<3<3<3Boo

Boo on March 20, 2013 at 5:29 pm
    • Jennie, Here are my votes:
      1st – septic tanks are no longer a choice. Laws mandate that now.
      2nd – I would love to see flared steps – but – that generally means wood. I don't know if anyone makes flared concrete steps, but that would be the better choice. Just because the cabin/house is "square" doesn't mean you have to follow that rigid style. I think steps (I wish I could make a drawing here, if only I could draw!) flaring out away from the porch would be so grand. And with a handrail on each side – for us that need railing.
      3rd – shower should be located near the house with privacy from 2nd floor taken into consideration.
      4th – fish cleaning station needs to be somewhere near the (covered) compost pile, adjacent to the garden. NOT close to the water or house. I'm pretty sure that's caveman thinking to dump entrails and such back into the water you will fish & swim/suck water in.
      There's my HO's. Love your questions.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 16, 2013 at 11:26 pm
    • Hi Jennie! I just read this thread again, and I love your ideas about the stone steps on the front of the house. I have been a little disappointed that there are no more windows going in on the second floor overlooking the water. But to get back on track. I think the reasonable place for the shower is close to the powder room. Why shower before you walk back through the grass and sand? I like the idea of a fish-cleaning station, wherever they put one, and really liked the comments about having this near the garden and compost bins. I don't think it would make sense to put it out by the dock. That is for fishing, sunbathing, reading under a canopy, having a picnic, or sitting with a bottle of wine and my dear daughters, watching my grandchildren play ;=). Yes, I'm living the dream, until I don't win. Then I will be disappointed, but always happy for the lucky winner, which I hope will be one of us bloggers, because I am seeing so many personalities come out. I did have one unfortunate thing happen–my email got hacked after I joined the blog. I've never been hacked before, and it was uncomfortable, but not costly, thank God. I must go walk my dog…

BrookwoodCarolina on March 17, 2013 at 10:05 am