Mar 5

Blog Cabin’s Renovation History

Additions made to Blog Cabin 2013

Today, I’d like to share a new article posted in our Remodeling of Blog Cabin 2013 package on HGTVRemodels.com. It’s all about additions made to the original Blog Cabin 2013 structure. Project manager Dylan Eastman and his team uncovered six separate renovations as they opened up walls, examined window frames and took a look at shingles and building materials. Even the age of nails helped the team separate original structure from add-on.

Read all about it here and then post comments below.

Note to bloggers: Zoom in on the grape arbor in the Cabin Cam.

• Posted at 12:50 pm on March 3, 2013

1. OH my goodness they have certainly done a lot on the deck! You guys are awesome! Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on March 11, 2013 at 2:18 pm
    • I did notice!!! It's all looking so fantastic!!!!! I got really excited when I saw the dock work…the posts hadn't been cut yet, the last time I looked….WOW!!!

TishaStanley on March 11, 2013 at 2:50 pm
  2. HAVE I SAID " I WANT THIS" LATELY????? HAHA This home is sooooooooo beautiful I know we all have just fallen in love with it. Just "PARADISE"! That is the only word to describe it for me. Good Luck to everyone!!!! Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on March 11, 2013 at 2:26 pm
    • ME too!!! It's an amazing location and a great rebuild!!

LIa_M on March 11, 2013 at 7:39 pm
    • Not lately enough!!! haha!!! I have great visions of waking up, going to the kitchen for a hot cup of tea, wrapping myself in a Hudson Bay blanket and stepping out onto the porch to breath in the salty air and watch the sun rise while gently swinging in the porch swing…total bliss!!! ^_^<3

And as always, best of luck to you, Rebecca, and everyone else who loves this home as much as we do! ^_^

Shelly313 on March 12, 2013 at 12:37 pm
  3. Really interesting history, especially the adding one room at a time part. Back then I guess you just didn't just go to the bank and get a big loan, you did what you could afford in small parts. Very cool!

nmdeman on March 11, 2013 at 3:18 pm
  4. Yesterday I saw a question on here regarding whether the cupola windows can open. The north and south elevation drawings (4 &5) show the cupola windows on those two sides are hinged at the top, presumably for opening. An electronic opener or a mechanical one could easily be installed to open & close the cupola front and back for extra ventilation in the summer I'm sure.:)

Clive on March 11, 2013 at 5:47 pm
    • Great idea Clive. It certainly would let the hot air out. Having it be electric is great. I would only add that if possible it also have a sensor to close if it rains out. Becky:)<3

bythebaydreamer on March 11, 2013 at 6:50 pm
    • That would be great. but I'd like to have some sort of manual backup. (just in case)

Eugenia27 on March 11, 2013 at 8:55 pm
    • Hi Clive, I believe that was 540sam who asked if the windows opened on the Cupola!!!

Jennie/Florida on March 11, 2013 at 11:08 pm
    • Clive thank you for the heads up. I totally missed that. I guess that answers my question.

540sam on March 12, 2013 at 4:24 am
    • By the way Clive, good eyes, I had to magnify to +150 and put on my glasses for these old eyes to see it.

540sam on March 12, 2013 at 10:00 am
  5. Good morning everyone! A little bit damp at the BC today. After such a beautiful day for dock building yesterday, it is hard to complain too much. The weather radar for Atlantic, NC shows a bit more rain coming for a while. We will have to just enjoy your coffee and donuts (English muffins here) and wait for it to pass through before we we will see much outside activity.

RLD on March 12, 2013 at 7:55 am
  6. Building codes on March 12, 2013 at 8:08 am
    • Thank you for that site! It is always good to know codes and such!

Tisha

TishaStanley on March 12, 2013 at 8:20 am
    • Thats about the same as in my county in VA but all septic tanks must be pumped a minimum of every 5yrs.

540sam on March 12, 2013 at 9:53 am
  7. Good Morning, Everyone! I see that it's raining at the Cabin today…as well as here in NY. On the bright side of things, the daffodils will come up bigger….Maybe some inside work can be done? But, I guess that would depend on what's already been done.

Tisha

TishaStanley on March 12, 2013 at 8:25 am
  8. Despite rain and the prediction of it getting heavy at the blog cabin, work for the day has begun. I suspect that the work that is being done on the dock will be moved inside once the rain gets heavy. DIY Team: Looking good! Becky :) <3

bythebaydreamer on March 12, 2013 at 8:35 am
    • I don't think there's any way to do dock work inside and I'm pretty sure that's the only thing the dockbuilders have to do there.

Ishmael on March 12, 2013 at 6:18 pm
  9. Good Morning BC Fans and of course DIY crews! Yes, it does appear to be raining at the cabin, but our crews are working hard on the subfloor today, by the looks of things. I swear I thought I saw Matt Muenster there this morning. I keep searching and zooming in, but the camera gets too busy, just when I think I see someone I recognize. As in my last post, I believe the sand and gravel that have shown up to the left of the drive must be for a free-standing garage, which I am hoping will have an upstairs suite for guests :=) The dock is looking great, and should stand up for many years for one lucky winner, and I know we all want to be that ONE. Question is, "Are you feeling lucky today?" My heart wishes, but my mind quietens the fury and brings reality back to the fore. How many times have I voted or entered or dreamed of this or that new home? Too many to count. Whoever wins, I wish you all the best. Has anyone else posted a comment that an outdoor sink for fish-cleaning, and an outdoor shower are real necessities? I can't wait to see the way the landscapers clinch the deal outside, since we won't get our first indoor peak for some time yet…

BrookwoodCarolina on March 12, 2013 at 10:42 am
    • They need gravel and maybe sand for the new drain field….though a garage is certainly a possibility. Was thinking about that…..I suspect that if there was to be a garage, that would have been framed when the framing crew was doing the house… unless "our" general contractor has his own crew that does the rough-in framing and more of the middle to final construction work.

RLD on March 12, 2013 at 11:50 am
    • Good Morning BrookwoodCarolina! A lot of us have been fast and furiously "fighting" over the camera, all in good fun of course! haha! Every time I spot someone, they have moved before the camera has time to adjust…now you see them, now you don't! Oh well! I do know the feeling well of what the heart wishes, sadly it doesn't take much for reality to return! o.0 There are so many of us who really want this home, but only one will be lucky enough – of course I am still holding out, because what good are dreams if you give up on them before they have a chance to happen?! ^_^

Shelly313 on March 12, 2013 at 12:54 pm
    • I know the idea for the outdoor shower and fish-cleaning areas have been mentioned before. I'm guessing a fish-cleaning area would be incorporated with the built-in grill/patio area that we all are excitedly waiting to see realized! We've also asked for a board walk (to keep feet dry during rainy/muddy weather), a lighted lighthouse over the well fixture, the old water pump to be turned into a working waterfall feature in a garden off the master suite, a lighted french drain run along/under the boardwalk to help with the standing water problem, keep the swings on the tree…and the list goes on and on…:D^_^:)B)<3

Shelly313 on March 12, 2013 at 12:54 pm
  10. Good Morning Bloggers, We are also getting rain here in Florida this morning, So glad I got my Grass cut and Trimmed yesterday and Gutters cleaned out from Fall leaves that are "Still falling" and this is March??
    We really need the rain, we're in a drought area and Wild fires are popping up all around…A little scary especially at night…Now that we are getting Rain I feel a little safer…I have the Woods behind my Home, they are called the "Wetlands" and they are drying up due to lack of rain…So any rain we get is Blessing.. I feel so bad for the Wild Animals and Reptiles that live back there, but I am afraid they might want to join our Neighborhood if we don't get more rain! Not a good idea!!!! I did see a Bobcat walking on the back of my property one Morning, tried to find my camera to take a picture but when I finally found it, the Cat was gone!!
    Sounds like the Septic Tanks are going to take up a Large part of the area that was cleared of trees and bushes… If the area is prone to flooding, I would think Diy will figure out Something for the New Owner's Parking area..Really a Necessity I think…….What do you think??? Have a Good Day!!!!

Jennie/Florida on March 12, 2013 at 11:05 am
    • oops….Rain is a Blessing:)

Jennie/Florida on March 12, 2013 at 11:19 am