Mar 5

Blog Cabin’s Renovation History

Additions made to Blog Cabin 2013

Today, I’d like to share a new article posted in our Remodeling of Blog Cabin 2013 package on HGTVRemodels.com. It’s all about additions made to the original Blog Cabin 2013 structure. Project manager Dylan Eastman and his team uncovered six separate renovations as they opened up walls, examined window frames and took a look at shingles and building materials. Even the age of nails helped the team separate original structure from add-on.

Read all about it here and then post comments below.

Note to bloggers: Zoom in on the grape arbor in the Cabin Cam.

• Posted at 12:50 pm on March 3, 2013

1. Thank you for the history update……fascinating! As is the transformation this amazing place is going thru now!
    And I have to ask……… What are the chances you are going to let is know what we DIDN'T find this weekend..or give us another hint? ;-)

karenlin91 on March 5, 2013 at 1:25 pm
    • It sure would be nice to know what we all strained our eyes looking for. this past weekend. Please??? :) :D

JudyInMich on March 5, 2013 at 5:39 pm
    • ? <DIV>Yeah it would! Please, please, please!</DIV> <DIV style=”FONT: 10pt arial”>

karenlin91 on March 5, 2013 at 5:57 pm
    • Yes, Mary and Dylan! Please give us a hint! I've zoomed in on and reported what I believe are like Post-it notes on windows–one, at right side of French door that faces water, I faintly, at one viewing, saw what seemed to be human handwriting, but with full camera zoom on, still could not make it out! How about using a black felt tipped pen? Indellible if notes are outside… Thanks! Were notes our surprise? We sure don't mean to be ungrateful–we just can't see–need HINT??? <3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 5, 2013 at 6:23 pm
    • I know I have still been looking and I have nothing! haha Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on March 6, 2013 at 9:22 am
    • Wow this yard will be beautiful! I think the yard would be great just like the picture!! Love that type of firepit also and the House will be Breathtaking when finished!!

RonnieJames6182 on March 16, 2013 at 10:11 pm
  2. Very interesting history of the house's additions. With that hodge-podge to work from, I am really glad it was decided to build new. I'm guessing the house didn't blow down in bad storms in the past because it just couldn't figure out which way to fall;) Thanks for the insights.

Windsmurf on March 5, 2013 at 1:41 pm
    • Very funny Windsmurf!

vicki_in_Utah on March 5, 2013 at 2:58 pm
    • yeah, pretty much perfect ;-)

karenlin91 on March 5, 2013 at 3:45 pm
    • ;) xD^_^

SID on March 5, 2013 at 5:25 pm
    • Hahaha, Good one Windsmurf!:D Judy

JudyInMich on March 5, 2013 at 5:40 pm
    • Now THAT one will go down in Laughamy!! Hillariously funny! My sides still hurt! Thanks, Windsmurf!:p;)xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 5, 2013 at 5:57 pm
    • And here I thought it was just super blessed!!! LOL!!! :D

Shelly313 on March 5, 2013 at 9:33 pm
    • xD:DxDB)

Dghawk4 on March 5, 2013 at 11:40 pm
    • What a novel nickname! I love it! Do you remember the Smurfs? I think they made a come back but somehow missed it…I have a little girl Smurf doll…. it IS amazing how this home is structured. So many unbelieveable methods to build it sound and safe! Engineers certainly are worth their weight in gold. But way back when this home was first built…with less education and capabilities, they certainly built a house to last! That says something!!! Americans, us, are pretty amazing! I am proud of this country and it's enduring ability to thrive. It is great fun watching all the nuances of this build, don't you think?

pickadillymonk on March 19, 2013 at 12:16 am
  3. Mary and Dylan, Thanks so much for the most recent BC history lesson. Isn't it amazing that with what are now considered archaic construction methods and materials, that the little cottage still stood the test of time! Boo

Boo on March 5, 2013 at 1:51 pm
    • How true ! They really did good work too ! They took Pride in what they did. And I think the emplorers appreciated their employees and showed them also. I know how times have changed. Everyone has to do more and always concerened about keeping a job. But fortunately not all are like that.There are still good places to work and enjoy what we do.It is great to see such great work on the cabin. The whole crew is to be congratulated,all of them. You are doing a wonderful job. Whoever gets this home will have a well built beautiful home. Love all thy information we get from the staff. Following with the bloggers.is fun.Best to all of us ;)

Nan on March 5, 2013 at 4:26 pm
  4. Great……..thanks for the update!

Summer on March 5, 2013 at 2:03 pm
  5. Dear Mary,Thank you So Much for the New Thread and for all the great History of all the add-ons..The Robinsons' were a very Talented family to start out so small and continue to build as the family grew larger..I'm impressed with the age of the Cottage and how it withstood all the Storms that must have impacted the Cottage during all those years…That's why I was hoping for foundation upgrades, (which turned out to be a rebuild but necessary for the Cottage) but to keep all the Antiques and History inside and not replace them with modern…Mr. Eastman and Crew has given this Beauty back her Strength and Stability and I must say she is definitely…A Beauty!!! Thank you for sharing!

One question, Our Dear Mary, the last Thread "Friday Construction Update", you made a comment that each Crew has left a "little Something" behind for the Die-hard fans. Have you noticed anything unusual in the Cabin Cam? Hint-zoom in..Now does that mean the Crew left a little Something "lately" or you were just repeating that information to the Readers who don't Blog….We Bloggers were confused but Spent the WHOLE weekend looking for more Signs o.0o.0…We all are subject to being Crossed-eyed due to Zooming all weekend to find the "little Something" they left. But found Nothing!
    Please let us know if your comments were for the past signs or they left something last Friday before this past Weekend.
    WE would really appreciate you letting us know so We can give up on the "Treasure Hunt" if that was for past signs that were left…
    Thank you Mary, We Bloggers appreciate you and Mr. Eastman for such a Great ride on this Journey to the Outer Banks of Atlantic, NC….We are having Soooo much Fun!!!:p

Jennie/Florida on March 5, 2013 at 2:05 pm
    • Jennie, that was perfectly said! I have also become absolutely obsessed with the cabin cam again this year, when will I ever learn? LOL! It's a very good thing that I am now retired, I don't know how I ever restrained myself from checking in until I got home from work during those years when I was working! :o :(;) Every year the BC seems to get better, especially as I am very partial to the recent coastal locations!B)<3:p

SID on March 5, 2013 at 3:06 pm
    • SID, I agree with what you said. Jennie did say it perfectly. I think we are all obsessed with this particular BC because of the beautiful location. Becky:)<3

bythebaydreamer on March 5, 2013 at 3:14 pm
    • Becky and Sid, thank you, I guess I feel so attached to this Cottage because it was so Beautiful even before they took Her down. When We first toured the Cottage in those 99 Photos…I felt like I was home…I could feel the Warmth and Love the Cottage had..When I was growing up, Our Home had a lot of the Antique furniture and collectables I saw in the Cottage…I could have moved right in…All That Beauty and the Beauty that Surrounds the Cottage, my goodness what a little Paradise it is for sure!!!<3:pB)

Jennie/Florida on March 5, 2013 at 5:36 pm
    • Jennie, I agree. DIY have outdone themselves finding this beautiful BC on a beautiful piece of land. A little piece of heaven in Atlantic NC. The Jewel of the beach for sure! Becky ^_^<3

bythebaydreamer on March 5, 2013 at 7:49 pm
  6. Dear Mary, Thank you for the latest thread. To me this is the most interesting. I love the history of the house, and how the Robinson Family was ale to adapt the house to the needs of their family. I am sure there were many wonderful memories made there. I can only hope that whoever is fortunate enough to be the new owner will love this home as much as the Robinson Family did. The DIY Team, under the leadership of Dylan, are doing an incredible job making sure that the Blog Cabin, which I have been calling : "the Jewel of the Beach", is able to withstand anything Mother Nature can send it's way. Nice! Becky^_^<3

bythebaydreamer on March 5, 2013 at 2:17 pm
  7. A quick comment on the porch style (flat V vaulted). I noticed that the original porch was vaulted (Image 89 of the original house photos). Personally, I like the flat porch ceiling better for cleanliness and more reflected light coming into the downstairs parts of the cottage. However, it seems the vault will win so the construction tradition of the original porch is maintained.:)

Clive on March 5, 2013 at 2:31 pm
    • Good observation, Clive, you've just helped me accept the vault that is leading. From earlier construction photos on the new house they had already installed 2x4s for a flat porch ceiling. Is it possible structurally for them to remove those without compromising roof strength, or do you think they will have to be left in place?

SID on March 5, 2013 at 3:15 pm
    • It's so nice to read your posts! DD

UOwinner on March 6, 2013 at 6:51 pm
  8. WooHoo! The doc builders are back to work and now installing the new pier posts! What a fun day today at the cabin!

SID on March 5, 2013 at 3:24 pm
  9. We have a new message at the grape vines. :) http://pinterest.com/pin/403635185323203319/

chris50555 on March 5, 2013 at 4:17 pm
    • Yes ! ;) The sign to bloggers with date 3-5 Happy<3

Nan on March 5, 2013 at 4:56 pm
    • Chris….saw it too!!:D

Maria on March 5, 2013 at 6:30 pm
    • I was pretty sure, those little wooden signs at the grape vine is what Mary was talking about, we just found them first. LOL

vicki_in_Utah on March 5, 2013 at 7:59 pm
    • Thank you for posting so many pics. I am not always able to follow the cam as much as I'd like, due to my work schedule. It's great to be able to see what I missed :)

Mimitheminer on March 5, 2013 at 9:14 pm
    • I am more than happy to post the pics on my Pintrest page. There are so many folks who just can't get to the Cabin Cam during the daylight hours so this way they don't miss out totally. Maybe DIY could use some of them for a scrapbook for the new home owner.
      Chris-IN

chris50555 on March 6, 2013 at 3:05 am
  10. Happy dance! New message! Perhaps my guess of who I saw this morning was not a dream after all- Desperate Landscapes WAS indeed here! So was that really Jason Cameron? xDB) I'm SO starstruck!!!!!:*

SID on March 5, 2013 at 4:48 pm
    • Wow ! must be getting along if landscaping is going to start. Wonder if just looking around with more planning? ;)

Nan on March 5, 2013 at 5:01 pm
    • Nan, because Desperate Landscapes will be redoing the final dock my guess is that you are right. They were probably just here for some preliminary photos of the old dock and planning. Wouldn't it be great if they left the Live Camera up during all the dock and landscaping work?:p They most likely will shut it down though so as not to spoil the surprise.=/ Just wishin'!:x

SID on March 5, 2013 at 5:38 pm
    • OH SID, please don't even say that!! I won't be able to stand it if they take that camera down! I will be enjoying too much guessing and watching to worry about being surprised….not even a contest….

karenlin91 on March 5, 2013 at 5:54 pm
    • It appears that the dock is being moved over slightly AND there will be a "T" at the far end, based upon current pictures as posted on Chris' Pinterest Log. Looks like our Dock is going to be nicer than the former! Yippeeeeeeeeeee! AND YES, Jason Cameron would HAVE to be in town, SID! You weren't seeing things. He heads up Desperate Landscapes… Swwwooooooning, I think I am, I am! B) <3<3<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 5, 2013 at 6:11 pm
    • I was sad when Jason was not in the line up of shows, but so happy when he was added. Not sure what happend to the other person. I have never seen her show before. (Sorry can't remember name or show)

vicki_in_Utah on March 5, 2013 at 8:02 pm
    • Hi Kitty, I have been thinking that the two men working on the dock are local and know the peculiarities of the sound.They had no hesitation of how to go about the work . It looked to me that this wasn't their first dock and that they had much experience in dock repair. They had just the right clothes; insulated waders and boots; and tools. I fell in love with them right away! Pat Green

Pat Green on March 6, 2013 at 11:56 am
    • Pat I agree, they are working with the steady efficient pace that is the hallmark of professional experience. It is incredible how much two men working alone can accomplish in just a short time, especially as these are not real young guys! I've been really impressed with the simplicity of the tools they're using, about the most high tech thing they have is a chain saw! Little else seems changed from the way things must have been done when the first dock was built. In only one day working together they completely dismantled and removed the old walkways, then cleaned up everything into one big pile. When they are working I can't tear myself away from the live cam, it's like being able to witness history first hand. I am truly in awe of the work ethic and expertise of the local people.

SID on March 6, 2013 at 12:54 pm
    • I wish I could have a shot at some of those old boards.

Wind Chime Girl on March 6, 2013 at 7:24 pm
    • YahHoooo!!! I know Jason wrote that message, Who Else would they ask to do it…I'm Thrilled and Happy he will be back this Season to grace Our Cottage and Beautiful Land with his Expertise, Looks and Muscles!!! OOPS, Did I Say that??? You bet I Did!!!!<3:pB)

Jennie/Florida on March 5, 2013 at 5:49 pm
    • Yep! you sure did…..;-)

karenlin91 on March 5, 2013 at 5:55 pm