Mar 1

Friday Construction Update

Blog Cabin 2013 siding installation

Project manager Dylan Eastman says installation of exterior siding continues this week and, as soon as rain ceases at the home site, the south second floor deck will be waterproofed and the adjoining door installed.

Electrical, plumbing, and mechanical rough-ins are ongoing inside the house and insulation will start late next week. “We will be using spray foam in all of our ceilings for increased energy efficiency and to also serve some vaulted ceilings,” says Dylan.

The team has also ordered and is awaiting delivery of flooring, cabinets, plumbing fixtures, tile and paint — all selected by online voters.

Dylan also reports that show producers have been scouting the site and determining their how-to projects for each episode of Blog Cabin 2013. Each crew has left a little something behind for die-hard fans. Have you noticed anything unusual in the Cabin Cam? Hint: Zoom in.

P.S. Take a peek at the latest slideshow, highlighting final framing and window installation.

• Posted at 5:42 pm on March 3, 2013

1. My family and I have been on a "cable company protest" for the last 8 months (too expensive for the service we were receiving). I SO….SO dearly miss my DIYnetwork !!!! Today, I "hot spotted" and had my first peek at the 2013 blog cabin. I looked at the gallery photos first and was really impressed with the open layout that the old cabin actually had. The clean white walls with the splashes of coastal colors was very refreshing. Coming from Minnesota, the whole look of the inside of the cabin really took me away to a different place. With 3 children (one with special needs), the idea of 5 bedrooms was very alluring to me (we live in a two bedroom home). Everyone would have their own room, with a therapy room and guest room to boot. I liked where the kitchen was placed. I could imagine watching the kids play in the back yard while working in the kitchen. The 2 bedrooms on the main floor… perfect for a master bedroom and a room for my special needs child, although there would need to be an alteration or two to connect the 2 rooms for easier access.

lovinthebloggin on March 26, 2013 at 12:23 pm
  2. When I saw the new floor plan, I couldn't believe it. You took out all but 2 bedrooms!!!! I've noticed that most blog cabin renovations have 2 bedrooms but this cabin really seemed to have the space for it or at least 3 bedrooms. I realize we live in the age of multi-media but to use close to half the space upstairs for a media center seems a little extreme. I would assume that living at the oceans edge would supply plenty of things to do, to NOT warrant such a large room for television/video games. Regarding the kitchen/living/dining areas. I realize that the original floor plan was a bit strange with the livingroom inbetween the kitchen and dining areas but to tuck the kitchen in a corner with no windows, in my opinion, is not an appealing feature. I realize that the dining area provides a view of the ocean and backyard but when you add the porch to the whole layout, there is no sorce of natural light in the kitchen.

lovinthebloggin on March 26, 2013 at 12:25 pm
  3. To feel the sun on my face while preparing meals is the BEST. To switch the dining and kitchen areas would make more sense to me with a large window over the work area (sink and counter area) overlooking the back yard. I realize the direct sunlight would still not exsist because of the porch but at least you could feel the ocean breeze. The placement of the kitchen, on paper, seems rather stifling and not very fitting for a renovation in todays world where the kitchen is the new hangout. I LOVE LOVE LOVE blog cabin and DIY network. It inspires me everyday (even though I don't watch it very often, I used to take notes, draw layouts and blueprints of things that would work for us while I watched the different shows so I can still look back and be inspired). However, this renovation seems to have fell short of your normal outstanding craftsmanship.

lovinthebloggin on March 26, 2013 at 12:27 pm
    • I so agree.

Rose Grant on March 31, 2013 at 12:10 pm
  4. loving the progress of the cabin. I can smell the salt air now.

Rose Grant on March 31, 2013 at 12:09 pm
  5. The canin seems to be coming along well. Cannot wait to see finished remodel. I'm smelling the salt air already.
    "

Rose Grant on March 31, 2013 at 12:15 pm
  6. Sorry I accidently misspelled cabin. Can you just feel the waves while sitting on the dock, the smell of salt air.

Rose Grant on March 31, 2013 at 12:18 pm
  7. Miss having construction updates… I can see what they are doing on the outside, but how is it going on the inside?

Darlene on April 15, 2013 at 8:22 pm
  8. Hello, everything is going well here and ofcourse
    every one is sharing data, that’s genuinely fine, keep up writing.