Mar 1

Friday Construction Update

Blog Cabin 2013 siding installation

Project manager Dylan Eastman says installation of exterior siding continues this week and, as soon as rain ceases at the home site, the south second floor deck will be waterproofed and the adjoining door installed.

Electrical, plumbing, and mechanical rough-ins are ongoing inside the house and insulation will start late next week. “We will be using spray foam in all of our ceilings for increased energy efficiency and to also serve some vaulted ceilings,” says Dylan.

The team has also ordered and is awaiting delivery of flooring, cabinets, plumbing fixtures, tile and paint — all selected by online voters.

Dylan also reports that show producers have been scouting the site and determining their how-to projects for each episode of Blog Cabin 2013. Each crew has left a little something behind for die-hard fans. Have you noticed anything unusual in the Cabin Cam? Hint: Zoom in.

P.S. Take a peek at the latest slideshow, highlighting final framing and window installation.

• Posted at 5:42 pm on March 3, 2013

1. Has anyone noticed the activity on the dock?

risinglight on March 4, 2013 at 3:17 pm
    • I've seen some…it's like the guys are in the water doing something with the posts

TishaStanley on March 4, 2013 at 3:19 pm
  2. So excited to see the dock getting all straightened out!!! Looks like they will be reusing the sections when they reassemble, so there goes my idea of the board walk created with the repurposed dock lumber…but not unhappy at all because that means we won't be losing the nicely weathered, worn-in comfortable dock we have all come to love! <3 And they can still work a board walk into the landscaping with other repurposed (or new) lumber, if they haven't already – hint ;) hint ;) Yard Crashers!!! :D

There is supposed to be rainy weather late tomorrow afternoon through Wed afternoon, but on the upside it will be about 10 degrees warmer – got to look on the bright side of things! haha! Have a great evening and enjoy the beautiful sunset on Core Sound and wherever you are!!! Many Blessings!!! B)^_^<3

Shelly313 on March 4, 2013 at 6:30 pm
  3. Well, all the decking is gone from the pier. All that's left are the pilings. Will be interesting to see how many of those are replaced.

Dghawk4 on March 4, 2013 at 6:37 pm
  4. I'm confused. When will the, actual, show be on? Will we be notified? I have been enjoying voting. Also, how does the sweepstakes work?

This is a beautiful place!

Thanks for the info.

Karen Frakes on March 4, 2013 at 6:39 pm
    • Hi Karen Frakes, if you go to the top of this page the topics, Click on to "Coming Attractions" that should give you all the Information…:D

Jennie/Florida on March 5, 2013 at 10:26 am
    • PS if it's not there first time try again and it should come back…I had problems with it sometimes!!! Also try "Main" topic at the top of this page…

Jennie/Florida on March 5, 2013 at 11:18 am
  5. Thank you for all your help re:why comments do not get on line-will try them and hopefully I will get it. going over "old" pix funny brings back memories seems long ago-love also seeing trees and plants around area. Looks like neighbor close by and step-down area west side hard to tell. One pix had west side bedroom-bath enclosed and noticed deck tore down. everytime I see place get "breathless" just beautiful and thank you guys taking time for safety measures for winners safety.xD

bogartandbacall on March 4, 2013 at 8:35 pm
    • Well your posts are actually posting, and that is a good thing!!! :D The old pics are wonderful to go through, and it is so exciting to see the changes being made that are so complimentary and updated to stand up for another 100+yrs!!! There are neighbors on both sides, and all up and down the coast line, a few of them are here on the blog, and they are extremely nice and have shared lots of information about the area with all of us! Sometimes they tease us by saying they rode by to check things out haha! :D

Shelly313 on March 5, 2013 at 9:34 am
  6. Uggh to the vaulted porch ceilings…great place to have spiders building webs with things in them and wasps building nests; lots of work sweeping them down all the time! Also, while the front loading machine look good and can be stacked, has anyone ever experienced those awful smells that come out of the front loaders. Sure you can use Tide cleaning solution but that becomes old and expensive. The rest of the choices are stellar.

sandyK on March 4, 2013 at 10:25 pm
    • SandyK I agree about the porch ceiling. I remember my Grandparents house from the early 1900's and the porch ceilings were flat bead board painted white. I think that would be much more time period appropriate. ;) Just my opinion but it sure doesn't look like the vote will swing that much. :(

chris50555 on March 5, 2013 at 5:43 am
  7. WORKING ON THE DOCK THIS MORNING!!!!!!! WOOOOHOOOO!

OK, sorry, I got excited – looked again, I don't see people there yet today… just checked in and saw the dock posts (and a seagull) and the pile of boards and I got all happy. I'm still watching though.

Mimitheminer on March 5, 2013 at 7:41 am
  8. Good morning everybody!!! What a beautiful morning I see on the cam, esp considering the weather forecasted that way. There is a Gale Watch in effect Wed evening through Thurs morning (gusts up to 47kts) and seas 1-3ft…button down the hatches! lol…and I see the rain is now expected to start tonight, which is good news for the extremely hardworking Crew on site!

It was a beautiful sunrise and I am happy the rain is holding off for the Crew! Everything looks just beautiful…the house, the pilings, the view…can't hardly contain my excitement for the day everything is complete! As much fun as it is "hearing" all of the hammers, saws and nail guns, it will be a wonderful future filled with most relaxing, peaceful days just listening to the seagulls, the water lapping up against the pilings and shore, the breeze rustling through the trees, and watching gorgeous sunrises and sunsets for one very lucky, extremely blessed winner!!! Best wishes for everybody from the bottom of my <3!!! ^_^B):D:)<3

Shelly313 on March 5, 2013 at 9:27 am
  9. Good Morning guys! How is it going? I am upset that I haven't been able to watch the past couple days. Still recooping from the flu. I am feeling much better now and was looking at the cam. I haven't missed that much outside it seems. Anyone care to fill me in on what they have been doing? Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on March 5, 2013 at 10:07 am
    • Besure to look at the dock. Monday they were working on it, and taking it apart. glad you are feeling better.

vicki_in_Utah on March 5, 2013 at 10:11 am
    • Thanks Vicki! I do see boards. I also see a black thing next to the boards for the dock…maybe a hint of a firepit??? Also a bag of blocks that has a light house facing the cam….maybe we will get a light house? I think that would really look amazing. As far as the house I don't see anything. Just wondering if they are truly signs from "Yard Crashers". We need more hints!! haha Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on March 5, 2013 at 11:43 am
    • The black things at the end of the plwood runway, are new, extra treated poles for the dock. You can see the guys have already installed 2 new ones on the near end of the dock, using the lightweight mortar mix that is contained in the blue bags. If you look closer, you will see string lines attached to the new poles, running to the far end of the dock, so they can align all the old ones. Some of them are already straigntened, using the mortar mix to secure them.

Builder on March 5, 2013 at 4:47 pm
    • Thanks very much for the clarification…I'm sure our plethora of questions may seem a bit much at times (maybe all the time), but you can see how in to this project we are. You guys are doing a fantastic job.

RLD on March 6, 2013 at 3:00 pm
    • thanks Builder!:D

JudyInMich on March 6, 2013 at 4:22 pm
    • Also be sure to look at the main page, they have pictures posted from inside and the master porch side! Glad you're feeling better,

karenlin91 on March 5, 2013 at 10:30 am
    • Thanks Karen…not fully recovered but enough to get back to my favorite thing to do….be here with all of you watching and wondering! haha Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on March 5, 2013 at 11:44 am
    • Rebecca,
      I'm glad you are getting back to normal and back to the blog, I think we all miss your "cheerieness" when you are absent. Feel better & better!
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 5, 2013 at 10:17 pm
    • Was wondering where you disappeared to, Rebecca! Glad you are back and feeling much better! I see Vicki and Karen have caught you up on the good stuff…so exciting!!! And looks like they will be keeping the dock in all her original glory – all of the sections are laid out in the grass and looks like they are just straightening the pilings! It was really fun to see the two guys who took it all apart…they sure did work FAST! And they had a little boat with a contraption to help them, but I missed seeing them actually lift the sections off because I had to run errands…maybe we''ll get to see them put it back together! :D

Shelly313 on March 5, 2013 at 10:42 am
    • Hi Shelly you know I was not well if I was not here! This is my life! I love being online and looking at this beautiful home and chatting with the many nice people. Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on March 5, 2013 at 3:05 pm
    • Well definitely glad you are back and doing well, Rebecca, your cheerfulness was missed!!! :) :D<3

Shelly313 on March 5, 2013 at 9:37 pm
    • Rebecca, so glad you are feeling better! That flu is really awful this year, but the good news is that recovery is pretty fast, so you should be feeling your usual sunny self in no time. Welcome back and be sure to check out progress on at the dock!:*<3<3<3

SID on March 5, 2013 at 10:53 am
    • Thanks Sandy!! I hope you are doing well also. I have been looking and trying to find WALDO! haha Haven't found much yet but still looking. I got my magnifying glass out to once I have zoomed in as far as possible! haha Now that is crazy but I am blind as a bat anyway!! haha Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on March 5, 2013 at 11:46 am
  10. I love the DIY Teams. Just so you know a lot of us are OLD folks and need maybe some BIGGER hints. Haha Lord knows I am blind as a bat! haha Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on March 5, 2013 at 10:24 am
    • Rebecca I SO agree! I wonder if they're gonna tell us what we looked so hard for and missed. ;-)

karenlin91 on March 5, 2013 at 10:25 am
    • HAHA I hope they do something else to help….maybe another hint….BIGGER for the old blind folks! haha. I even had my magnifying glass out trying to look after I zoomed as far as I can! haha Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on March 5, 2013 at 11:41 am
    • I think they need thicker, black felt tip pens! B)xD:p:p:p<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 5, 2013 at 12:08 pm
    • Haha me too!

rebecca on March 7, 2013 at 2:29 pm
    • Hi Rebecca! I agree with you on the notes and with Kitty on the felt tip markers for us old folks to be able to read them.:D Judy

JudyInMich on March 5, 2013 at 5:15 pm
    • There is a post at the usual place.

Millie on March 5, 2013 at 6:29 pm
    • Thanks Millie. :D Saw the post from Jason's crew today but it wasn't there Saturday, Sunday, or Monday. Believe me, one of us would have seen it. :D Judy

JudyInMich on March 5, 2013 at 7:43 pm
    • Well I even got my magnifying glass out once I zoomed all the way in. haha

rebecca on March 7, 2013 at 2:31 pm