Mar 1

Friday Construction Update

Blog Cabin 2013 siding installation

Project manager Dylan Eastman says installation of exterior siding continues this week and, as soon as rain ceases at the home site, the south second floor deck will be waterproofed and the adjoining door installed.

Electrical, plumbing, and mechanical rough-ins are ongoing inside the house and insulation will start late next week. “We will be using spray foam in all of our ceilings for increased energy efficiency and to also serve some vaulted ceilings,” says Dylan.

The team has also ordered and is awaiting delivery of flooring, cabinets, plumbing fixtures, tile and paint — all selected by online voters.

Dylan also reports that show producers have been scouting the site and determining their how-to projects for each episode of Blog Cabin 2013. Each crew has left a little something behind for die-hard fans. Have you noticed anything unusual in the Cabin Cam? Hint: Zoom in.

P.S. Take a peek at the latest slideshow, highlighting final framing and window installation.

• Posted at 5:42 pm on March 3, 2013

1. I have been wondering for the longest time, since the framing started, what the initials JOS on the front of the top Header Board is all about. I thought one of the guys was goofing around and wanted to initial the house. Or maybe it means something int he construction world. Who Knows???? OK I will stop going on for now, see you all in the morning. Now I am going to watch the Amazing Race…I want to be on this show…
    Chris-IN

chris50555 on March 3, 2013 at 8:51 pm
    • Good morning Chris! I finally went to look for the initials everyone keeps talking about…it actually looked liked '203' to me…lol The top part is blocked in my view, but I'm guessing it's contractor stuff!!! :D

Shelly313 on March 4, 2013 at 10:08 am
    • Good Morning Shelly,
      LoL well who knows what that was all about. I see that the dock is coming apart. :) Good thing I checked in on the bloggies and their posts or I might have missed getting pics of the work.

chris50555 on March 4, 2013 at 10:44 am
    • LOL Chris! I went back through pics and saw "JOS" in an unobstructed pic (not numbers!)…but still no clue what it means! I saw a post from Grammagail and she thought it was "Josh". The pilings look so beautiful in the sunrise this morning! It looks like they will be reassembling the dock after the pilings are straightened up (the sections are laid out in the grass along side the pilings), which is a good thing! I got teary-eyed over the thought of losing the original weathered, nicely worn-in dock…so happy she is staying!!! :D ^_^B)<3

Shelly313 on March 5, 2013 at 10:05 am
  2. Look everyone! I think th.ey are starting work on the dock! Good Morning and happy watching

Grammagail on March 4, 2013 at 9:07 am
    • Thank you Gail! I was just about to go out for the morning and would have completely missed this if it were not for your post!:o Change of plans now- I've never had the opportunity to watch a seaside dock construction before! What a treat for these tired old eyes! Thank you also DIY for the Live Camera!:*<3<3

SID on March 4, 2013 at 10:38 am
    • Good morning Gail, It's 36 degrees and wind chill of 27 at the Cottage…I'm freezing at 43 deg. here in Florida…We had 34 deg. last night with frost..Glad I covered my plants… for the THIRD time this Winter.
      I'm so surprised they are working on the Dock so soon, Mary and Mr. Eastman said Desperate Landscapes would be upgrading the Dock…..Maybe those Guys are going to do the Major heavy duty work being Professionals and Jason and Crew will put on all the Bells and Whistles….Yeah! Can't wait to see what they do!!!
      I'm glad you found those green looking leaves I was talking about, I thought they looked out of place so I thought maybe that was something the Crew had done…..Bummer….So many Bloggers has scouted the whole area the Camera would go and have found nothing..Maybe the Crew put them out of Camera range and didn't realize it….I'm zooming the Cam in my sleep at night o.0o.0 Have a Warm Day!!!

Jennie/Florida on March 4, 2013 at 10:51 am
    • Good morning Jennie! Since so many have diligently but unsuccessfully searched for those "clues" I tend to think the reference was to the notes that have been left on the grape arbor. Mary probably wanted those who don't read the blogs to know about the notes.
      Lots of fun this morning watching the men work straightening the piers! They did choose a cold day to work next to the water. It takes a hardy soul to work in construction, and they would probably just laugh to read our comments about how cold it is today! ;) :D<3

SID on March 4, 2013 at 11:30 am
    • I haven't been able to see the dock work…suggestions?

TishaStanley on March 4, 2013 at 1:15 pm
  3. Good Morning! New day at the blog cabin. I can't wait to see what the DIY Team has in store. Exciting new week! Becky:)<3

bythebaydreamer on March 4, 2013 at 9:08 am
  4. I was just wondering about the current voting, it gives an option for the porch to have either flat or vaulted ceiling. isnt the vaulted ceiling going to create more of an uplift due to a raised back increasing the volume of air towards the wall section in a strong wind?

540sam on March 4, 2013 at 9:18 am
    • I was curious about that to. I don't think the vault would be steep enough to make a huge impact, and I'm sure the way they have braced everything with hurricane weather in mind it won't be much of a problem. Maybe someone on the team – or one of our Bloggers-in-the-know will see this and post what they know…:)

Shelly313 on March 4, 2013 at 10:13 am
    • I had that same concern.

Windsmurf on March 4, 2013 at 10:57 am
  5. OMGosh!!! I actually got very teary-eyed to see the guys taking apart the beloved weathered dock!!! :'( I sure hope they will repurpose the old boards somewhere in the house…or better yet…Yard Crashers, PLEASE consider my idea of a Board Walk leading from the porch to the new dock for the following reasons:

1) Will be a great way to repurpose the old dock, while keeping a dry path from house to dock during wet yard weather.
    2) Will lend to the beach-y feel we love so much!
    3) Something old, something new…(keep it weathered!) ^_^<3^_^<3
    4) Would be a great way to hide a French Drain (if you decide to install one for reasons suggested in earlier posts)
    4) Otis Redding would love it! Big credit to whoever mentioned this perfect song first! :D

Shelly313 on March 4, 2013 at 9:58 am
    • Sitting in the morning sun
      I'll be sitting when the evening comes
      Watching the ships roll in
      And I watch 'em roll away again

Sitting on the dock of the bay
      Watching the tide roll away
      I'm just sitting on the dock of the bay
      Wasting time

Sittin' here resting my bones
      And this loneliness won't leave me alone
      It's ***810 miles I roamed :D ***
      Just to make this dock my home

Now, I'm just

Sitting on the dock of the bay
      Watching the tide roll away
      I'm just sitting on the dock of the bay
      Wasting time

^_^B)<3^_^B)<3

Shelly313 on March 4, 2013 at 9:58 am
    • LOL Thanks Shelly, if I'm gonna have that song in my head, it's nice to have all the words ;-)

karenlin91 on March 4, 2013 at 10:40 am
    • You're welcome, Karen! It's most of the words…and of course, I doctored it up a bit…hehehe! ;) :D^_^

I left out one or two sections (mostly repeat), and it's actually "two thousand miles"…;)

Shelly313 on March 4, 2013 at 11:06 am
    • Love the perfect lyrics Shelly, thank's for posting! Isn't the live camera fun this morning?:D<3

SID on March 4, 2013 at 10:41 am
    • You're welcome, SID! I can't remember who mentioned the song first, but it is THE perfect song for our little coastal gem! Did you notice how I doctored it up a bit? LOL I couldn't resist!!! ;) :D

I am loving the cam this morning…I don't know how I will ever get anything done today now that they have started on the dock!!! The guys are working so quickly, in no time at all the old dock will be *sob* history! Can't wait to see the new dock! I hope they will add hammock posts, seating area, and of course, repurpose the old dock as a board walk…I think it would be so perfect! ^_^B)<3

Shelly313 on March 4, 2013 at 11:11 am
    • Shelly I did notice a couple of lyric changes,but although close, you don't have the distance quite right for me! LOL! After watching awhile I think the guys are just straightening the piers, so apparently that part of the old dock is sound and will likely remain. Parts of the old walkway are sitting on the ground, did you happen to catch them lifting the sections off? I wonder if they used a crane or did they just lift the sections off by hand? Interesting to see if they lift them back into place or use new lumber for the walkway. I do also really like your idea of a wooden walk from the house to the dock!:D<3

SID on March 4, 2013 at 11:42 am
    • Shelly, Now I see how they're lifting all the weight. They've got a ladder like "thingy" out there on a little boat that uses a crank and pulley system to muscle heavy things into place. Very clever! I don't know for sure, but can imagine this is very close to the same "technology" that was in use to build a dock when the cabin was first built! Isn't that incredible?:o I love watching this – it reminds me how clever and inventive our ancestors really were.<3<3<3

SID on March 4, 2013 at 12:18 pm
    • I did notice that…I got so excited when I saw the little boat haha!!! It is a very clever way to do the job for sure, and very incredible! I saw they laid the sections out along the length of the dock too, so I am guessing they are going to reuse the sections after they straighten the piers…and I am more than OK with that because then the dock will still retain that "weathered" and "worn in" look and feel that I am so drawn too! My eyes filled with tears when I saw them taking it down, so if this is what they are doing then we won't be so broken hearted losing such a big connection to the original cottage! ^_^<3

Shelly313 on March 4, 2013 at 5:54 pm
    • LOL SID! Feel free to go ahead and substitute your own distance haha!!! :D :D Sadly, I missed them lifting off the sections because I had to go run errands. Have you seen the dock since they finished for the day? It is gorgeous with the sun preparing for sunset!!! I do hope they will still consider putting in a wooden walkway, even if they have to use new lumber! I think it is something anyone who would win the house would end up loving and appreciating! And keeping it level to the ground would keep it from being overwhelming or obstructing! ;) ^_^<3

Shelly313 on March 4, 2013 at 5:58 pm
    • Shelly, I just got back home in time to see the dock before sundown. Those two guys were really hard workers, they even got all the decking off the boat and stacked before they left for the day!
      I was surprised to see when one of the gentlemen was standing in the water at the end of the dock that the water was only about up to his hips. Even if that is at low tide the water seems pretty shallow for a motor boat? That will still be OK for hubby and me, our kayaks will work fine! Like you I am hoping that they can use the original pilings, and maybe even some of the deck wood. Guess that makes us among the sentimental! xD:D

SID on March 4, 2013 at 7:39 pm
    • The sound is only about 8 ft deep maybe a little more at it's deepest in front of the cottage. Charts show it very shallow and locals said the same. I think Alicia said they could walk out for hundreds of feet.:)

AnniesOwn on March 4, 2013 at 9:00 pm
    • That's really good info, Annie! Daren mentioned in an earlier post he is about 1/2 mile down the road and the water is about 3ft deep for at least 100 yards out from shore, and very shallow in the Sound. Anyone with a large boat would need to keep it docked in New Bern, if I remember correctly. It is definitely PERFECT for splashing around in!!! ^_^:DB):)

Shelly313 on March 5, 2013 at 10:23 am
    • SID, Those guys definitely are hard workers…and FAST!!! :o LOL And yes, we are definitely two bobbing in the sea of sentimentals on here!!! :'( ^_^ :D

Daren posted a while back that the sound is only about 3ft deep for at least 100 yards out…PERFECT splashing around for kids of all ages!!! :D Given the boat the guys brought in, you would be fine with a motor boat and your kayaks! ;) I, myself have thought about a cute little row boat and some paddle boards for great fun and exercise while enjoying Core Sound! B):D

Shelly313 on March 5, 2013 at 10:16 am
    • SID, I forgot to mention that Chris Grundy did a video segment from a motor boat in front of the cottage. And if I remember correctly, I think Daren (or someone else) said larger boats would need to be docked in New Bern.

Shelly313 on March 5, 2013 at 10:25 am
    • Thanks for the info Shelly and AnniesOwn. I do remember there were some comments on how shallow the sound was, but somehow missed Chris Grundys visit to the dock. Because I have caught small boats operating near the cabin from the live camera, I knew they could be used nearby, but wasn't sure if even small motor craft could use the present dock after it is rebuilt. B):D That shallow water does sound perfect for splashing around!

SID on March 5, 2013 at 10:46 am
    • If the guy was hip-deep, it was probably closer to high-tide for that location. The NOAA depth charts show the mean-low tide depth at only a foot or so well out beyond the dock in spots. The Sound bottom varies considerably. When Chris Grundy did his water approach, he was in a boat with a relatively flat bottom that required very little draft. With the motor's prop-shaft, I'm guessing he needed approx. 2' of water, maybe a little less… Knowing the Core Sound bottom in front of the BC will be an absolute necessity for the BC owners. Safe navigation will require a depth gauge….no big deal for any boater. Being an eternal optimist, I'm planning on a quick 2.5 mile jaunt across the Sound (due East) in our 16' fishing boat to get to the outstanding beach on Core Bank. I have notice small craft warnings for that section of the Sound on a couple occasions during the last few weeks…probably due to wind.

RLD on March 5, 2013 at 1:00 pm
    • That song will be my cool down song on the treadmill this morning"

RLD on March 4, 2013 at 12:26 pm
    • What a perfect cool down song, RLD! I have been singing it all day and it just makes me happy! ^_^B):)<3

Shelly313 on March 4, 2013 at 6:00 pm
  6. It is a very nice day at the BC today, So happy to see them working on the dock this morning. Looks like they tried to drive down, but the ground was too soft. This will be fun to watch.

vicki_in_Utah on March 4, 2013 at 10:02 am
    • I was so surprised to see the guys taking the dock apart that I actually got tears in my eyes!!! :'( I loved the old dock and would have been happy if they had just filled in the gaps and left her leaning…lol I have a picture of the old dock as my computer wallpaper, I just love it that much!!! ^_^ <3

I sure hope they consider my ideas for hammock posts to hang a hammock on the dock, and to reuse the old dock boards and create a Board Walk from the house to the new dock (to keep feet dry and mud at bay during wet weather). And it would "marry" the old with the new in such a beautiful way, don'tcha think? ^_^<3

Shelly313 on March 4, 2013 at 11:04 am
    • All your ideas are great Shelly, but it looks like maybe they are going to reuse all the dock, I hope so.

vicki_in_Utah on March 4, 2013 at 6:35 pm
    • I sure hope so too, Vicki! I would rather see the same dock because it just oozes warmth and comfort! But if they 'had' to replace it, then it would have been nice to see the old boards repurposed into a board walk bridging the gap between the house and new dock. And I am ok with buying a hammock stand to set up on the dock and hang my hammock from! :D B)^_^<3

Shelly313 on March 5, 2013 at 10:31 am
    • And Thank You for saying I have great ideas, I really appreciate that! :) ^_^<3

Shelly313 on March 5, 2013 at 10:34 am
    • Ditto!

Wind Chime Girl on March 5, 2013 at 10:11 pm
  7. Wonderful new post. Thank you for the photos showing all of the precautions taken to safeguard the house from hurricanes. I love this little cottage, even more so knowing it will be a safe haven in vitually all kinds of weather.

Windsmurf on March 4, 2013 at 10:59 am
  8. I've been watching the Camera Cam this morning, this is so cool!!! It's coming along great, and I'm really excited to see the final home!!!! :)

TishaStanley on March 4, 2013 at 12:04 pm
  9. So cool and exciting to see a boat at the dock…even if it is for de-construction use!!! :D ^_^:)B):'(<3

Shelly313 on March 4, 2013 at 12:07 pm
  10. Watching the work on the dock is some of the most interesting cam views I have seen; and the cam on the water view seems to respond quicker to refocusing changes than on the cabin, for some reason. Great stuff! :-)

Karen_NEOH on March 4, 2013 at 12:14 pm
    • I thought it was so neat when they brought the boat in, but I had to run errands and missed seeing them lift the sections off. The posts look so cool in the sunlight right now! Can't wait till the dock is put back together again…since they laid the sections out along the side, I'm guessing they will be reusing the sections when they reassemble the dock! That takes care of the sadness I had when I thought the dock would be completely redone…will be nice to see it all straightened up and still weathered and worn in as a nice comfortable dock should be!!! :D ^_^:)B)<3

Shelly313 on March 4, 2013 at 6:06 pm