Mar 1

Friday Construction Update

Blog Cabin 2013 siding installation

Project manager Dylan Eastman says installation of exterior siding continues this week and, as soon as rain ceases at the home site, the south second floor deck will be waterproofed and the adjoining door installed.

Electrical, plumbing, and mechanical rough-ins are ongoing inside the house and insulation will start late next week. “We will be using spray foam in all of our ceilings for increased energy efficiency and to also serve some vaulted ceilings,” says Dylan.

The team has also ordered and is awaiting delivery of flooring, cabinets, plumbing fixtures, tile and paint — all selected by online voters.

Dylan also reports that show producers have been scouting the site and determining their how-to projects for each episode of Blog Cabin 2013. Each crew has left a little something behind for die-hard fans. Have you noticed anything unusual in the Cabin Cam? Hint: Zoom in.

P.S. Take a peek at the latest slideshow, highlighting final framing and window installation.

• Posted at 5:42 pm on March 3, 2013

1. I am surprised about the option for a vaulted porch ceiling since it seems from the framing it already has framing for the flat ceiling. I guess it wont be really vaulted but open rafters. Dont like that as much I might have to change my vote

zulumom on March 3, 2013 at 8:54 am
    • I'm afraid I have to agree. IMO the flat framing they've installed will completely detract from the look of the vault, not to mention being a nuisance to clean or paint around. =/ Since the vaulted roof is so clearly in the lead I'm guessing that it will be the winning choice. I wonder if it would damage the strength of the structure if the builder were now to remove that flat ceiling framing?:|

SID on March 3, 2013 at 12:54 pm
    • Noticed the same thing. I also wondered about the structural impact of cutting off the lateral pieces to make the vaulted ceiling possible. I'm betting that the vaulted option was a mistake….or the lateral pieces were only necessary to hold the porch roof trusses in place until the roof is I place and supported by the posts. Assuming that the vaulted ceiling wins, if lateral pieces remain, converting the ceiling to a flat ceiling will be the second change I make (the first being installation of the fresnel light in the cupola).

RLS on March 3, 2013 at 1:51 pm
    • First screen in the porch, then beadboard the ceiling, then fresnel

zulumom on March 3, 2013 at 5:42 pm
    • I've got to get my priorities in order!

RLD on March 3, 2013 at 9:40 pm
    • zLewave the flat framing in, it will make it that much easier to add the ceiling later:*

Windsmurf on March 4, 2013 at 10:48 am
    • That should have read Leave the flat…

Windsmurf on March 4, 2013 at 10:50 am
  2. Housewarming gifts for the winner? How about a portable (or installed) generator that will pull the whole hose? And a screened porch? May be a little more "pricey" than the typical housewarming gift, but certainly will get a lot of use and be much appreciated by the winner!

Bev on March 3, 2013 at 10:26 am
  3. After spending way too much time searching for messages left I am wondering about those three little items left by the porch steps by the foyer. They have been left there for a long time now and since they did a clean up on Friday I would have thought they would have put those things away. I have zoomed in but cannot make out what they are. There is also the signature Josh on the board above the porch front door that has been there for a while. Beyond that I have nothing! Got to give up this procrastination and get some work done!

Grammagail on March 3, 2013 at 10:57 am
    • Good Morning Grammagail! That's a good eye you have to spot Josh's signature! :D

Shelly313 on March 3, 2013 at 12:08 pm
    • I saw in a separate pic w/out obstruction from porch railings, the letters are "JOS" – not "Josh" or the bottom of numbers that I thought it was, and no clue what it means, but still guessing contractor stuff. Did you ever find out for sure? It's funny how something like this triggers the curiosity! lol :D

Shelly313 on March 5, 2013 at 9:44 am
    • I saw those too, the stuff on the porch….and couldn't tell what they are, except maybe duct tape .

karenlin91 on March 4, 2013 at 12:14 am
    • If one zooms all the way in those square white notes on the downstairs windows posted on the left side, facing the water ARE NOTES–handwritten! I almost was able to pick out something on the window closest to the French door at the window, right side, late yesterday. Problem was, to me, the writing is too faint for my eyes to read, but it was definitely NOT commercial print! It WAS handwritten! I wish I could say better–maybe someone has better vision than i. I think brighter light/sunshine would help. On the side of the porch facing the driveway, the square note is posted directly next to the commercial one–on the right, bottom window pane. Of course I also couldn't zoom in further to read that either. GrammaGail, You're right, LOL, about Spring coming Those green sort of clover/heart shaped things are a vine. I saw that and wondered a lot, until I followed the stem to the ground! LOL!!! xD;):p<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 4, 2013 at 9:56 pm
  4. Good, Happy, and BEAUtiful Sunday Everybody!!! Our little coastal gem is looking especially pretty in the morning sunlight today, and it's nice to see drier ground! :D The Crew is doing a fabulous job, and every day I can picture myself more clearly taking in that gorgeous view, hearing each of my steps resound on the porch as I walk across it, and listening to the birds over the Sound while the water laps up gently against the dock posts and shoreline…to call this special place 'HOME' would be the icing on the cake of life! ^_^ <3

A special WELCOME to all the Bloggie Newbies…Glad you have joined this happy crowd of dreamers!!! ^_^:):D And from the bottom of my <3 I wish everyone the best of luck!!! :)

I hope everyone has a most wonderful day today!!! ^_^ :) <3

Shelly313 on March 3, 2013 at 12:21 pm
  5. Hi Bloggers, I found something that looks interesting..Do Full Screen and Scan to the far Right of the Cottage toward the road, keep going right go to where you can hardly see the Big Tan Dumpster because there is a tree in between you and the dumpster..In that tree there seems to be 5 or 6 Green cutouts that look like odd looking green clover or some design..I thought they looked out of place and wondered if that would be what we are looking for…I can't see any writing on them but thought they were odd hanging in the tree..Go look and see what You think they are! o.0

Jennie/Florida on March 3, 2013 at 12:21 pm
    • Shamrocks? Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Ishmael on March 4, 2013 at 1:57 am
    • Hi Jennie,
      Followed your directions and think I found what you saw. Don't want to disappoint but that seems to be a vine that goes all the way down the tree. They are truly a bright green at the top but get into browns and green at the bottom. I think you found something much more important! Signs of spring!!!!

Grammagail on March 4, 2013 at 9:17 am
  6. Love the location. Also, I really enjoy the step by step process of seeing how the construction is coming along. Of course, nothing could be more anticipated, then seeing this house completely built, and decorated. Makes for wonderful viewing. AND: So I dream! Dreams do come true.

GAhere on March 3, 2013 at 2:09 pm
  7. Well bloggers after searching for awhile the only thing I noticed is a caulking or glueing gun hanging from a tree by the trailer and also what appears to be a couple of electrical wires sticking out of the same tree. What do the rest of you think?

Jimbo on March 3, 2013 at 3:37 pm
    • I think I am well and truly stumped…..Maybe they could use me for a coffee table?

karenlin91 on March 3, 2013 at 9:32 pm
  8. HAVE WROTE SEVERAL MESSAGES BUT FOR SOME REASON OR ANOTHER THEY DON'T SHOW UP. THE COMPUTER WILL TELL ME ITS A DUPLICATE BUT I NEVER SEE IT. ANYWAY I HOPE SOMEONE ENJOYING MY MESSAGES BUT I STILL CAN READ YOU GUYS. I ENJOY EVERYONE AND OF COURSE WE CAN'T FORGET OUR BEAUTIFUL BC HOME. EVERYTHING YOU WRITE HERE I FEEL TOO. THE HOUSE AND AREA IS BREATHLESS AND SOMEONE WILL BE BLESSED<3xD

bogartandbacall on March 3, 2013 at 4:03 pm
    • Sometimes the administrator catches words that they deem unacceptable, like sh–oes. I get hit on that one when I forget to separate it. I don't know what they think it to mean otherwise, but they have their no-no list. We're glad you're able to read our entries (whenever we don't get zapped HEE HEE ! ) If, you don't mind, try to do most of your posting in lower case, except for emphasis, so it's easier to read? My vision's getting a bit prone to blurriness being diabetic, even though, I still catch myself using caps a good bit myself–can you tell??? :D Keep posting, have fun and vote! All the best!!!xD^_^<3 kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 3, 2013 at 10:57 pm
    • Well, this is perplexing. I don't know what I said that caused a thumbs down on me??? Thought I explained something in a good natured manner… :( sigh….<3^_^ Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 6, 2013 at 11:47 pm
    • Messages will not show up if you are not logged on when you hit 'submit comment'.

If you are logged on when you submit, messages are often delayed showing up…wait a few mins and check back, or log off and you will see your comments ARE posted.

Same things for when someone responds to your posts: When I am logged on and someone replies to my post, I will get the email alert but I won't see the post on the screen right away…I either log off and log right back on, or wait a few mins and it will pop up on the post!

If those reasons don't apply to you, it might be something you wrote, as Kitty says! :)

Shelly313 on March 4, 2013 at 10:05 am
    • Let me clarify that first line…

Messages will not *POST at all* if you are not logged on…;)

Shelly313 on March 4, 2013 at 10:06 am
    • You may be onto somehting. When I try to blog from my home IP address the words appear on the blog site after I submit them but disappear the momnent I change windows. It doesn't matter what device I use. I'm blogging currently on a coffee shop WiFi and it's fine. Not sure how much more blogging I'll do if this continues. I'm not being blocked (nothing says that) or referred to admin. It's just that the messages disappear as soon as I channge windows. Even when I can see the blogs (after submitting) on the device I wrote them on they aren't visible on any other internet connected device at any other IP address even if I keep the window open wher I can see my blog. :(

Clive on March 4, 2013 at 1:26 pm
    • Clive, make sure you are logged onto Intense Debate before posting any comments. That happened to me when I first started blogging, but stopped when I remembered to log on before posting – I don't think you have to be logged onto your DIY Network account, but if you try posting a comment and are NOT logged onto Intense Debate, the comments will appear briefly and then disappear altogether. And for whatever reason, the comments still disappear briefly when you change windows, but if you log off and log right back on they will be there permanently!

PLEASE DON'T STOP BLOGGING!!! We learn so much from you, and it's a joy to read your posts!!! :D

Shelly313 on March 5, 2013 at 9:56 am
    • Thanks Shelly313. Unfortunately there seems no answer to my home IP address problem presently. I don't use 'Intense Debate". Just my preference to remain as anonymous as possible. ;) And I don't really see any reason to. However, while the problem persists on my home IP address so I'll only be blogging if I remember when I'm out and about. I don't blog from work due to the need to set an example after having to discipline staff members who were using the email & internet to conduct a private business while employed to do other things. Sadly, this appears to be a common practice and why so many companies no longer offer employees unrestricted internet or email. Hopefully the problem will cure itself as mysteriously as it started. Until then I'm able to read blogs, vote etc. so I'll be checking in from time to time. Have fun and don't look too hard for those messages I'm sure that was a reference to what had been and not what is. It’s good to see the sunny weather in NC today. We’re having our 4th major snow storm in 3 weeks presently. o.0

Clive on March 5, 2013 at 2:22 pm
  9. Have any of the bloggers seen page 13 in the "Framing the House" gallery of 15 photos, below the picture is this question, "The west side addition features a dropped floor, located to the right of carpenter Daniel Simmons (in blue). Can you guess what this is for?" Could this be a hot tub? Another mystery to solve. :o

Maria on March 3, 2013 at 5:52 pm
    • Hi Maria, where did you find the "Framing the House" gallery of 15 photos??? I looked but didn't find them!!

Jennie/Florida on March 3, 2013 at 7:40 pm
    • The is a link to the reframing of BC at the end of the January 15 construction update….15 photos…

RLD on March 3, 2013 at 9:25 pm
    • That section is part of the master bath….where the floor plans shows the tub location and what appears to be a shower. Since they had us voting on the free-standing tub, I can't imagine a hot tub there….

RLD on March 3, 2013 at 9:36 pm
    • It was built in expectation that the vote would be for the sunken tub (which is drawn in that place), However the vote was for a floor standing claw-foot tub so I believe it's safe to assume the question is irrelevant now. :)

AnniesOwn on March 3, 2013 at 9:48 pm
    • Recall, that earlier some thought they saw a sign left by crew that said "vote for drop-in tub! ? Perhaps it WAS framed for in anticipation! :-)

Karen_NEOH on March 4, 2013 at 11:59 am
    • Hi Karen, that was me…The long narrow sign was on the ground leaning against the Black box over at the well and it did say " Vote for drop in tub." We thought the rain had washed the letters off but found out the glare from the sunlight prevented us from reading it…Later Laurie confirmed the note was there and appears to still be there, but is on top of the black box now….One other person thought she saw letters but couldn't see all…I just happen to see it at the right time when the Sun maybe had gone behind a cloud…
      We went treasure hunting all weekend for the Crews "Little Something" for the die-hard Fans but have yet spotted anything..They might have put them in an area that was not in the Camera Cam sight! :(

Jennie/Florida on March 4, 2013 at 2:05 pm
  10. Hi there. Look on slide 17, on the floor near the flat bar, there is something that may look like a brochure…..Could be a surprise for the winner. Becky :) <3

bythebaydreamer on March 3, 2013 at 6:05 pm
    • Hi Becky, where are you girls finding these photos??? Maria is saying a Gallery of 15 Photos "Framing the House" and your saying look on "slide"17? Could you please guide me in the right direction??How Exciting!!!:p

Jennie/Florida on March 3, 2013 at 7:53 pm
    • Jennie, the link to the 15 photos is the last line of the P.S. just above.

vicki_in_Utah on March 3, 2013 at 8:47 pm
    • Hi Vicki….Bummer, I've seen those Photos, I thought Becky and Maria had found new Pics that We haven't seen..I can't get enough….Love to see everything…I hope they will install a Camera when they start installing the kitchen cabinets and the flooring and everything else…I hope Mr. Eastman will treat us to a Camera inside…He seems like a very nice man and he is one talented Project Manager!!!
      We will have to wait and see if he will surprise us with a Camera. ..Keep our fingers crossed, toes crossed, feet crossed, Eyes crossed, Did I miss anything????:p;)

Jennie/Florida on March 3, 2013 at 9:15 pm
    • You know what? I have been begging for an inside camera too….I'd love to see them install the cabinets, etc…BUT I want an inside camera and keep the outside one too. In a couple of weeks we're going to be voting on outside stuff and I really don't want to miss that! We need two cameras to haunt ;-)

karenlin91 on March 3, 2013 at 9:34 pm
    • Hi Karen, Yes we want the Camera Cam to stay outside to capture all the landscaping and dock work, but they can mount a Camera in the Kitchen corner close to the mud room and
      direct it toward the Living and Dining room…That way all three rooms are covered and we will be in "Hog Heaven" watching the Cottage being turned into a Cozy Cottage Showplace again…..I am so taken by the Whole process..This Crew is A-1 in my book!!!
      I'm anxious to see the kitchen cabinets…and of course Everything else.Can't get enough!!
      Have a good Day!!!B)

Jennie/Florida on March 4, 2013 at 11:26 am
    • There were 19 photos posted on the main Blog Cabin page. I have copied all of them to my Pintrest page. http://pinterest.com/christinambruns/blog-cabin-2… Only on my page they are in reverse order. 19-1 so Becky's photo #17 would be #3 on my page.
      Chris

chris50555 on March 3, 2013 at 8:56 pm
    • Thanks Chris. I was just getting back to the computer. I had to get away from it for a while. Have a great night! Becky:)<3

bythebaydreamer on March 3, 2013 at 9:11 pm