Mar 1

Friday Construction Update

Blog Cabin 2013 siding installation

Project manager Dylan Eastman says installation of exterior siding continues this week and, as soon as rain ceases at the home site, the south second floor deck will be waterproofed and the adjoining door installed.

Electrical, plumbing, and mechanical rough-ins are ongoing inside the house and insulation will start late next week. “We will be using spray foam in all of our ceilings for increased energy efficiency and to also serve some vaulted ceilings,” says Dylan.

The team has also ordered and is awaiting delivery of flooring, cabinets, plumbing fixtures, tile and paint — all selected by online voters.

Dylan also reports that show producers have been scouting the site and determining their how-to projects for each episode of Blog Cabin 2013. Each crew has left a little something behind for die-hard fans. Have you noticed anything unusual in the Cabin Cam? Hint: Zoom in.

P.S. Take a peek at the latest slideshow, highlighting final framing and window installation.

• Posted at 5:42 pm on March 3, 2013

1. WoW… It's looking good so fare. Though i'm still hopeing for some form of back up Power for Emergency! And Power and water line to the Dock!!!!

asandmancan on March 2, 2013 at 1:09 pm
    • I agree! Please, can we have a GENERATOR like we had in BC 2011 Matthews, VA??? Pretty Please? Thank you!B)xD:p <3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 2, 2013 at 5:49 pm
    • Or Soler panels! I think t that all new homes should come with some form of a back up power. Wether Soler or Generator. Jost like every house should have a Fire Extinguisher!!!! ;)

asandmancan on March 2, 2013 at 7:05 pm
    • I like solar panels too…….it looks like the cabin is open enough to the sun for them to be installed on the roof?

karenlin91 on March 2, 2013 at 7:10 pm
    • Most year-round folks in the OBX purchase generators that pull what they need in the event of power outages.

Bev on March 3, 2013 at 10:14 am
    • OBX???

asandmancan on March 3, 2013 at 10:46 am
    • OBX = Outer Banks :)

Moving2theCoast on March 3, 2013 at 5:32 pm
    • That makes sence… Thank you!! :)

asandmancan on March 3, 2013 at 7:47 pm
    • A portable (or installed) generator that pulls the whole house would be a nice added house warming gift for the winner! (That, and a screened porch!)

Bev on March 3, 2013 at 10:20 am
    • Need a generator for sure if the winner is going to stick around when a Hurricane comes through.We were out of power 5 days when Irene came for a visit and the temps were in the 90s,even a window unit in a closed off bedroom would have been nice.
      Tony

TonyE on March 3, 2013 at 11:07 pm
    • When I lived in Palm Beach County FL for 22 years and all the Hurricains, I've hade a few Power outeges. The longest being for allmost 2 weeks! o.0
      So I say it's beater to be a Scout then be with out!!!!

asandmancan on March 3, 2013 at 11:47 pm
  2. OK Bloggers… Get your Magnifying glass out because I spotted little white squares in the windows that might have messages from the Crew..There are 2 in each window and I didn't notice them before this morning. When I spotted them, there was a glare and couldn't tell if they had writing on them or not. I zoomed in but it didn't help..Check it out and see if you can see anything!!!!!!!

Jennie/Florida on March 2, 2013 at 2:22 pm
    • I saw those as well, but since they are the same in every window, just assumed they were labels of some sort. Zoomed in as much as possible, but can see nothing written on the ones in the front lower windows, so am thinking that's not what was left for us.

Bev on March 2, 2013 at 3:32 pm
    • Hi Bev, I did the same but couldn't see any writing, but a glare can prevent us from seeing it…Well I have Zoomed the Whole property that the Camera Cam would allow and can't find anything else…But I don't give up that easy, I will continue my Treasure Hunt!!!!

Jennie/Florida on March 2, 2013 at 3:55 pm
    • They look like manufacturers labels from what I can see, ;)

AnniesOwn on March 2, 2013 at 3:49 pm
    • Hi Annie, I'm was talking about the small white squares in each corner of the windows..2 in each window, they're about 6 or 8 squares in all…I see the Blue manufactures label up in the center of the windows, but I was talking about the white ones…Back to Scanning the property!

Jennie/Florida on March 2, 2013 at 4:11 pm
    • I'm loking at the same thing. There's the big "Window World" signs and the smaller installation information signs (the small square ones) in the corner of every window. :)

AnniesOwn on March 2, 2013 at 8:41 pm
    • Hi Anne, I see what you're saying and you are probably right, but was just hoping I had finally found the "little something" the Crew had left for us "die-hard Fans"..I have searched the yard, Cottage, Dock, work area where they park, under the cottage, the roofs..Everywhere!!!
      I wish the Guys hadn't done such a good job of not making the "little somethings" too obvious. LOL…I will continue to search!!!….0

Jennie/Florida on March 3, 2013 at 10:22 am
    • Even checked out the honey do wagon…latrine! :( No notes. Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 3, 2013 at 10:33 pm
    • When I zoomed in the writing didn't look like anything from the crew, just the logo from the window makers..I could be wrong though… :) Did you see the daffodils? They're coming up nice!!

TishaStanley on March 3, 2013 at 11:25 pm
    • After re-studying those squares, I'm convinced that the lower right pasted ones ARE printed professionally from manufacturer. Then there are the Window World Blue ones. The OTHER White ones are, I think, like those Post-it notes, which is why they are all identically sized. The one beside the French door that I saw hand print on but couldn't make out enough to read IS MAN–OR WOMAN-WRITTEN! NO DOUBT about it! But written in pen or pencil may make it too faint to pick up even with the maximum magnification on the Cam that I used. Perhaps someone with better eyes and some sunshine will help!B)xD:p Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 4, 2013 at 10:06 pm
  3. I don't see the message. Love the color!

rsl73 on March 2, 2013 at 3:59 pm
  4. Howdy, folks. I have been looking for the message, too, but haven't found anything. I did find, however, that if you look at picture #17, it shows the windows with the white squares and they came with the windows. Sorry.:(

Dghawk4 on March 2, 2013 at 5:34 pm
    • #$%^, I'd swear those weren't there before ;-)

karenlin91 on March 2, 2013 at 5:58 pm
    • I didn't think they were either. Shows how we can look without seeing.

Dghawk4 on March 3, 2013 at 10:28 am
    • Well, what you just said sounds like as good a place as any for me to respond to your response to me about your search for a FRESNEL. I can't seem to find that post on the thread, even though I kept your response open on my desktop–duh! I discovered something I didn't know. the term fresnel is pronounced "frey-nel" no "s" in there. And there are ALL kinds of FRESNELS! I found something that kind of looks glassy and would capture different sunshine angles, it's reminiscent of a chandelier But before I do any further looking I want to get your opinion as to whether this could even be a tad closer. I'm thinking the picture of their DIY selection seemed sort of wrinkled in an odd manner–so I'm stumped. So what do you think? This one is in the maritime section and seems pricey too: http://www.thefind.com/search?query=fresnel+glass… THE PAGES seem to bounce. Last time I edited–the page was 16–now it is 19 so do a bit of page fiddling. Sorry cant control that or edit gobbledygoop! :) :D <3 Kity

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 4, 2013 at 2:11 am
    • Bummer Dottie!!! I thought we were on to something!!xD

Jennie/Florida on March 2, 2013 at 7:07 pm
    • I thought so too, until I was looking through the gallery again.

Dghawk4 on March 3, 2013 at 10:25 am
  5. Absolutely BREATHTAKING! You're all amazing!

Heidi in Wyoming on March 2, 2013 at 5:42 pm
  6. Well, there's a beautiful pink reflection in the windows from the setting sun….that must be our surprise gift for the day ;-)

karenlin91 on March 2, 2013 at 6:43 pm
  7. Thanks to all of you who are looking for the "signs". A lot of us don't have the time or the computer to do so. Please let us know what you find, PLEASE!!
    WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 2, 2013 at 11:38 pm
  8. Thank-you for the updates. From the pictures of all the strapping and rods this house is not going anywhere. Can't wait to see what they are going to do with the dock. Love the picture from the dock showing the house.

Noreen on March 3, 2013 at 12:39 am
  9. Good morning Bloggers and DIY team, I find it intriguing that the crews left messages for us to find. I am not into instant gradification so the harder it is to find the better I like it. I was watching the sunset over the water last night and could imagine sitting on the dock and enjoying a nice cup of coffee. Tomorrow I will continue the hunt for the hidden messages, and I hope you all have a great day.

Jimbo on March 3, 2013 at 3:08 am
    • I think they are talking about the little wooden sign that was by the grape vine. I know of 3 groups that left messages there. But it dissapeared after the house councler left her message.

vicki_in_Utah on March 3, 2013 at 8:27 am
    • Mary says up above that something is different in the cabin cam…and to zoom……this is something different from the signs, the way I read it….;-)

karenlin91 on March 3, 2013 at 9:21 am
    • Thank you for continuing the hunt, I keep coming up with nothing, but will continue too ;-)

karenlin91 on March 3, 2013 at 9:20 am
  10. Oh, I really like that siding, so nice. What a beautiful look.

myshanbug on March 3, 2013 at 5:46 am