Mar 1

Friday Construction Update

Blog Cabin 2013 siding installation

Project manager Dylan Eastman says installation of exterior siding continues this week and, as soon as rain ceases at the home site, the south second floor deck will be waterproofed and the adjoining door installed.

Electrical, plumbing, and mechanical rough-ins are ongoing inside the house and insulation will start late next week. “We will be using spray foam in all of our ceilings for increased energy efficiency and to also serve some vaulted ceilings,” says Dylan.

The team has also ordered and is awaiting delivery of flooring, cabinets, plumbing fixtures, tile and paint — all selected by online voters.

Dylan also reports that show producers have been scouting the site and determining their how-to projects for each episode of Blog Cabin 2013. Each crew has left a little something behind for die-hard fans. Have you noticed anything unusual in the Cabin Cam? Hint: Zoom in.

P.S. Take a peek at the latest slideshow, highlighting final framing and window installation.

• Posted at 5:42 pm on March 3, 2013

1. Mary, Dylan, Blog Dog & The Guys!!!! Thanks for giving us the opportunity to see inside…I, too, would like to see a cam inside, if possible..The Blog Cabin is taking shape and we all appreciate having a part in it. Thanks!!:);)<3:*

Maria on March 1, 2013 at 8:32 pm
  2. Wow! Let the winds blow! It doesn't look like this cottage is going to be blown away or torn apart by wind or water. Between the upside down brackets and the rods from the top ot the structure to the foundation holding it down. Exellent design work, Mr. Eastman. Love it! Love it! Love it! Can't wait to see more!

One quick note. With the light in the cupola also being seen from the outside, I think the fresnel light would have been a better choice. But that's an easy fix.:D

Dghawk4 on March 1, 2013 at 9:12 pm
    • LOL I had the same thought, gotta find a fresnel light!

karenlin91 on March 1, 2013 at 10:05 pm
    • "When" I win, that will be the first thing (maybe only thing) I'll change. I'm really impressed with the quality of the construction.

RLD on March 2, 2013 at 12:41 pm
    • AGREED across the board!!! And bring on a new FRESNEL!!! I'd convert the lovely winning light into a SWAG light with a dimmer…xD;)B)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 2, 2013 at 5:29 pm
    • I said it was an easy fix, but now after searching for one to price it, I CAN'T FIND ONE!o.0

Dghawk4 on March 3, 2013 at 10:30 am
    • Just Google 'fresnel pendant lampshade'. Therre are, literally, dozens of designes available but, so far, none that match the exact design of the one shown in the pictures. ;)

AnniesOwn on March 3, 2013 at 9:54 pm
    • Good Morning Anne, If you could find out who sponsors Diy's lighting for the Cottage, maybe you could order from that company direct…Just a thought!

Jennie/Florida on March 4, 2013 at 9:24 am
    • I believe there are several lighting supliers this year. The sconces are from Marcus Nieman, others are from Murray Feiss. DIY may be using 'Lamps Plus' as the main supplier but I can't find the exact Fesnel pendant anywhere. :)

AnniesOwn on March 4, 2013 at 9:14 pm
    • Thanks, AnniesOwn. After I posted that, I've looked at more web pages and lamps that I thought my eyeballs were going to fall out! I'm not giving up, though. Did find one on an antiques page though. They wanted $1,500.00!!!!! Don't think that was it, but was real close.

Dghawk4 on March 4, 2013 at 6:23 pm
    • The winner simply has to ask HGTV/DIY where they found their example for the options.

RLD on March 3, 2013 at 2:04 pm
    • You have another agreement here, thats what I voted for also, it just keeps in theme with the floor pattern and lighthouse sconce. If you clicked on more information on that light when the voting was happening it gave the name of the supplier, something like antique lighthouse.

540sam on March 4, 2013 at 1:59 pm
    • Yeah, I thought of that, too, but I thought of it too late. Seems like I'm always a day late and a dollar short!o.0

Dghawk4 on March 4, 2013 at 6:28 pm
  3. Fabulous use of the hurricane ties, especially since our little home will be withstanding many more storms, but we know it is in a blessed spot, since it has already weathered the nineteenth and twentieth centuries! I often put the image on 'toggle to full screen' and 'panorama' and just watch it as my screen saver, wondering how it would feel to be there in person, just as all the others who enter yearly, yet this one is as close to my heart as if I had chosen it myself. I love it, and hope you will not destroy the little tree swings and the daffodils. It will be wonderful for you to retain the grapevine and I'd love to see the crashers plant more fruit and nut trees, and fashion an herb garden close to the kitchen, and if I lived there, I would want a little Victory Garden also. I can imagine sitting on the screened porch, reading or writing, or fishing from my pier. I'm wanting a boat too :=) Thank you, DIY! I watch two channels mainly–HGTV & DIY–while my dear husband mainly watches Modern Marvels and Nascar! Yet he is as excited as I am about being a part of the remodeling and the chance of winning this wonderful home, especially since we are retired and all our family lives in NC. We would love to move to Atlantic Beach and watch the quiet sunrise over the waterway! Whoever wins this home will be the luckiest person in the world…

BrookwoodCarolina on March 1, 2013 at 10:04 pm
    • Quite a bit difference between Atlantic and Atlantic Beach,about 45 minute drive.
      Tony

TonyE on March 2, 2013 at 9:59 pm
  4. Thank You for posting the 19 photos and the Friday update. Everything is coming right along. Looking forward to seeing the deliveries start arriving in the next couple of weeks.

I am also going to be scanning the job site tomorrow looking for the little surprises.

Have a wonderful weekend bloggers and crew.

Chris-IN

chris50555 on March 1, 2013 at 10:40 pm
  5. We had been waiting for a detailed posting of the progress like this for so long. Thanks to you everything looks wonderful and solid. I love that the family room will have a door that can be closed for guest privacy. I cannot wait to see what happens with the dock. I also think that the master porch might be too narrow for the swing but it can easily be installed under the front porch and replaced by a bench or chairs. Love it.

zulumom on March 2, 2013 at 6:37 am
  6. Mary and Dylan, thank you for the updated photos. This cottage is truly a winner! I thought a beautiful horse weathervane on top of the Cupola would be a neat finish to this cottage, so as to call out to the horses on the shores to come and visit this abode. :-) Did I notice some block delivery? not sure……

Heading South on March 2, 2013 at 9:54 am
    • Heading South, that's a great idea! Bring it on! Horses on the weathervane!B)xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 2, 2013 at 5:32 pm
  7. I tried zooming in, but I only saw grass. But not to worry, the house looks great without using the zoom. The builders have been busy as bees!

I like the exterior siding.

Summer on March 2, 2013 at 10:22 am
  8. Well I have been looking for our surprise but have not found anything yet. I will keep searching and let you know if I find something.
    Chris-IN

chris50555 on March 2, 2013 at 11:37 am
    • Hi Chris, I saw white square paper in the windows I haven't noticed until today, do you think something is written on them?? Quite a glare on them when I looked and I can't tell.. two in each window..Did you notice them before today??? That's alI I have seen so far…I will keep looking!!!

Jennie/Florida on March 2, 2013 at 1:36 pm
    • I tried zooming in as far as I could and couldn't tell if there was writing or not…….feel like we're on an Easter Egg Hunt ;-)

karenlin91 on March 2, 2013 at 3:30 pm
    • I actually zoomed in on big tv in the living room, and toggled full screen, AND used magnifying glass…..and couldn't see any writing ;-)

karenlin91 on March 2, 2013 at 3:38 pm
    • Hi Karen, guess that was a bad guess, but you know that other sign by the black box couldn't be read because of the glare on it for quite some time…I've Scanned All of the property that the Camera would take me and Nothing popped out anywhere.
      My goodness, not making the Signs so obvious is one thing, but hiding them is another!! LOL…It's not like We can walk around the property and look.."Oh, I wish we could." We are kind of limited as to where we can look! OK, I'm going to look one more time "today"…Smile

Jennie/Florida on March 2, 2013 at 4:46 pm
    • I'm gonna try too…..and that wasn't a bad guess, those little square weren't there before. We need to be able to walk around the property and pick stuff up, and turn stuff over, lol..and get muddy shoes.

karenlin91 on March 2, 2013 at 5:56 pm
    • I could run by there tomorrow in the boat and check it out,or stop on the side of the road and look.There is no trespassing signs at the driveway so can't get too close.
      Tony

TonyE on March 2, 2013 at 10:13 pm
    • Tony, you might be able to keep us from going permanently cross=eyed! ;-)

karenlin91 on March 2, 2013 at 11:23 pm
    • PS Good to hear from you anyway ;-)

karenlin91 on March 2, 2013 at 11:24 pm
    • Hi TonyE, that would be great, but if there is a "No Trespassing" sign please don't get yourself in any trouble for the Bloggers…We sure would like to know what the Crew left for us, but they seem to have hidden them or displayed them out of reach of the Camera Cam!!
      Thanks for posting, Please keep in touch!!!!

Jennie/Florida on March 3, 2013 at 10:44 am
  9. Thank you for the pictures! You all are sure making us more curious, I like the sliding door idea for the stairway entry. (I hope it is like a barn-style sliding door, cool.) Just a thought, any crepe myrtles for around the beautiful grounds? (We can't grow them here, and they are beautiful in NC.)

amberPA on March 2, 2013 at 12:17 pm
  10. Hi guys! How is everyone doing today? The pictures are GREAT!! I was happy to see the update. I am miserable right now, I have the flu!! Oh I would not wish this on my worst enemy!! I hope everyone stays healthy and doesn't get it. I still had to get online and see what's going on. Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on March 2, 2013 at 12:30 pm
    • Sorry to hear your not feeling well. Hope your feeling better soon.

amberPA on March 2, 2013 at 12:31 pm
    • Finally feeling a bit better, thanks for your nice words. What has been going on these past couple days? Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on March 5, 2013 at 10:08 am
    • Feel better soon Rebecca! :|

JudyInMich on March 2, 2013 at 12:35 pm
    • Thanks Judy, the flu is the worst. I hope no one from your family gets it. I even had the flu shot a couple months ago, now I am thinking what was the point. What has been going on these past couple days with the BC? How have you and your family been? Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on March 5, 2013 at 10:09 am
    • Hi Rebecca! The past couple of days all of us have been straining our eyes trying to find the hidden surprises from the crews. Also watching them take down the old dock. Glad to hear you are better. The family is well. Are you doing ok? :D Judy

JudyInMich on March 5, 2013 at 5:34 pm
    • I hope you feel better real soon Rebecca. Plenty of fluids and rest. :)
      Chris-IN

chris50555 on March 2, 2013 at 4:56 pm
    • Thank you Chris! I did just that but I was down for the count. Not to mention I couldn't take my meds because they wouldn't stay down so I was in much pain also. I hope your family does not get this nasty virus! What has been going on with the BC the last couple days? How his your family doing? Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on March 5, 2013 at 10:11 am
    • Crepe Myrtles grow great, are easy to grow and root very easily! I've started several trees by just sticking a good 2-3 ft. branch in nice, mixed fertile soil that gets some moisture a couple times weekly… That's it! Next year, it leafs, I transplant, surround with mulch, usually get flower 1st year! As it puts out new branches, I trim, if needed to give my new tree some form. They bloom in VA/ NC a couple months! Please, please, NEVER do what some dodo birds do, that is, to hack crepe myrtles down to their near stumps in February. That's just plain tree butchery and they are ugly for months. If you want to keep crepe myrtles smaller, just trim back in February shaping off top and sides, otherwise, you can do as I do–let them grow like a tree and bloom large–gorgeous–also a cheap rooting opportunity. Hee hee!;)^_^B)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 2, 2013 at 5:46 pm
    • I'm soooosorry to hear you have the flu, on top of everything else–you poor dear. I wish I could come over to help you, I had my flu shot, Rebecca, but Hampton Roads, VA, area is a bit too far for me to drive nowadays, with neuropathy and back, and my back is completely out at present. Oh, please get well soon!!!^_^ I just had the wierdest thing happen! I POSTED TO AMBERPA– Hi Amber!!! And it landed under Rebecca's post–go figure–Sorry AMBER!!! IT IS ALL ABOUT CREPE MYRTLES xD BELOW, FOR SOME STRANGE REASON–SORRY AMBER! Now,Rebecca, I apologize for the interruption, but I had answered a direct comment to Amber about you can tell what, from your post, anyhooo, hope Amber gets to see it! As for yourself, sweet dear friend, i deeply hope you are able to get some fluid, even ice chips in you to stay hydrated. I worry about you being alone! I have my Gary to help me. My back has been especially inflamed in cervical spine, lubar/and sciatical nerve area, so have taken it easy for many days. Well yesterday every thing went caput and I'm in agony, flattened like a Belgian waffle getting chewed up. Well, I'm too plum-ped up to be a pancake, don't you know, at my age! :D Any how, it's too bad we can't "sorta' share quarters to exchange jokes while we convalesce–as you know, laughter IS the best medicine!!!:*:p;)<3<3 LOVEYA! Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 2, 2013 at 6:08 pm
    • lumbar.

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 2, 2013 at 6:11 pm
    • Haha thanks for the nice words Kitty! Sometimes when I post it goes in the wrong place as well. Thought it was just me. Anyway, I am feeling much better but you know it is difficult for us older guys when you have to take meds for pain and have the flu. Whatever you take comes right back up so it is like a double wammy. In severe pain and can barely move with a bucket by the bed. Anyway I hope you to are feeling better. It sucks getting old! Did I miss anything these past couple days? Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on March 5, 2013 at 10:16 am
    • Rebecca, I am sorry to hear your not feeling well. Hope tomorrow is a better day. Becky:)<3

bythebaydreamer on March 2, 2013 at 6:57 pm
    • Thanks for the kind words Becky! I hope your family is doing well. Did I miss anything these past couple days at the BC? Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on March 5, 2013 at 10:17 am
    • Wishing you a quick recovery! The flu has been awful this year, and many who got their shots have ended up with it, albeit a different strain than the ones covered by their vaccine. I learned something new on a medical show recently…regardless of what strain the vaccine is, you should get the flu shot each year because the shots continue to build up immunity "for the long haul" in your body so you're not as likely to get the flu in the future, regardless of the strain that happens to be active. News to me; I had no idea!

Bev on March 3, 2013 at 10:18 am
    • Interesting, I have always religiously stayed away from flue shots but that's a good argument for them. It makes sense to me though. I used to have a day care and caught everything every kid brought in.all at once!….but finally reached a point where I didn't get sick……. Hope you feel well soon Rebecca, you too Kitty

karenlin91 on March 3, 2013 at 11:26 am
    • Thank you for the kind words. I hope your family is well. Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on March 5, 2013 at 10:21 am
    • Thanks for the kind words Bev and you are so right it is horrible! I have not felt this bad in a LONG time. Plus I have to take meds which is very hard when you can't keep anything down. I did have my flu shot a couple months ago so I was surprised to get it. Anyway how is your family? I hope all is well. Did I miss anything at the BC? From the outside it doesn't look like it but I wonder what they have gotten done on the inside which I am sure we all are curious about that. Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on March 5, 2013 at 10:20 am
    • Thanks for the kind words Bev and you are so right it is horrible! I have not felt this bad in a LONG time. Plus I have to take meds which is very hard when you can't keep anything down. I did have my flu shot a couple months ago so I was surprised to get it. Anyway how is your family? I hope all is well. Did I miss anything at the BC? From the outside it doesn't look like it but I wonder what they have gotten done on the inside which I am sure we all are curious about that. Much Love!! <3 <3

rebecca on March 5, 2013 at 10:21 am