Mar 1

Friday Construction Update

Blog Cabin 2013 siding installation

Project manager Dylan Eastman says installation of exterior siding continues this week and, as soon as rain ceases at the home site, the south second floor deck will be waterproofed and the adjoining door installed.

Electrical, plumbing, and mechanical rough-ins are ongoing inside the house and insulation will start late next week. “We will be using spray foam in all of our ceilings for increased energy efficiency and to also serve some vaulted ceilings,” says Dylan.

The team has also ordered and is awaiting delivery of flooring, cabinets, plumbing fixtures, tile and paint — all selected by online voters.

Dylan also reports that show producers have been scouting the site and determining their how-to projects for each episode of Blog Cabin 2013. Each crew has left a little something behind for die-hard fans. Have you noticed anything unusual in the Cabin Cam? Hint: Zoom in.

P.S. Take a peek at the latest slideshow, highlighting final framing and window installation.

• Posted at 5:42 pm on March 3, 2013

1. OH, HOW WONDERFUL!!! I have just seen the 19 photos that are posted from "MAIN" page and they really give one a wonderful feel for the interior of the BC.thenk you, Dylan and Mary! Sigh, there's no storage for outdoor furniture, fishing and grill, etc. built where I had hoped… :( but otherwise it is great. Another observation, I don't see room for the winning swing on the Master BR porch, unless one sits quite still on it LOL! :D Take a peek, every Bloggie! You will have your first glimpse of the OTHER SIDE–mystery solved!!! B):p<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 1, 2013 at 5:57 pm
    • It will be a very pretty home; I know you must like the color of the shingles compared to the green ones in Maine last year…I certainly do ! <3

LLColeman on March 2, 2013 at 3:16 am
    • Color's much better, LL, I agree! Still would have preferred something more distinct–too many gray/white beach houses. This one's really going to be pretty, but in several ways, inconvenient, unless just used occasionally–even then, it's inconvenient to airport, or other major city travel. For permanent home, must be small family and area has very slim job pickings, if winner needs to find work! That concerns me on behalf of countless numbers of contest entrants (and not myself, for I am older, disabled and cannot work). A beauty for sure, but this one won't be tugging my heartstrings as last years' did–even with all its issues! If, for some reason, miraculously, I won this BC, It would soon be on the market for a reasonable turnover price, if DIY didn't give a buy back option, which it has yet to do, I think, except with the 2006 BC, due to some contractor lien issues(?)….^_^xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 2, 2013 at 4:46 pm
    • They could re-do the old outside garage for storage and incorporate the grape vine arbor with a patio adjacent to the garage storage.

JJmck on March 5, 2013 at 8:37 pm
    • Hey JJmck, If I'm not mistaken, they tore down the extra buildings onsite, including the garage? Haven't seen any of the other structures with the panorama or the other camera. The place definitely needs a very secure storage, I've been posting that– and I believe this storage needs to be part of the main structure, so it doesn't float or blow away during a storm and things inside become projectiles which can endanger lives. I've been pretty vocal about that. I have lived through several hurricanes myself…:o:|^_^ Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 5, 2013 at 10:02 pm
    • Hi Kitty, It is late so the brain maybe in sleep mode, where are the 19 pictures you found? I am loving what I have seen so far.

Eugenia27 on March 3, 2013 at 12:24 am
    • Sorry I took so long. I've been posting promos for Mark Burnette and Roma Downey's 10 hour mini series "the Bible" beginning tomorrow 8p.m. EST, Reviews are excellent saying hollywood finally got it right… well , your connection to the 19 great framing photos is under the p.s. part up above in the intro writeup for this Blog thread, last line. Move your mouse around it and it should sort of jiggle like "IT's MEEEEEE!!!! :) :DxD<3Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 3, 2013 at 1:38 am
    • I can't wait to see it!!! Unfortunately, I don't have cable (gave it up years ago because I rarely watch tv)…so I'm going to pre-order the dvd set and wait *im*patiently for it to arrive!!! Roma and Mark were perfect to do this mini series, I seriously think this is their 'purpose'!!! ^_^<3^_^<3

Shelly313 on March 4, 2013 at 10:45 am
    • Did you see the 19 pictures, Eugenia? Good, huh?! :D xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 5, 2013 at 10:04 pm
    • Finally had a chance to look, the new photos are wonderful! They make me feel like I am 'home'…which is where I want to be! It is very nice to get a new perspective of the home, property and view…longing to be there right now even more than before…^_^ :) <3

Shelly313 on March 4, 2013 at 10:41 am
    • Sure hope folks will reconsider the range vote. The second range is the better product.
      Also, cannot wait until we hear what the plans are for the dock and boardwalk. Hopefully they can outdo the HGTV team, and incorporate a walk, floating deck, boat lift and Tiki bar. All to enjoy time watching sunrises and sun sets over the water, and crab pots in the bay!

JJmck on March 5, 2013 at 8:35 pm
    • Hi JJmck! Thanks for writing. It's so hard to tell with the votes… This is my third time voting on Blog Cabin choices and it seems that the trends rule fast–I can't recall a single trend getting reversed! Like your ideas for the dock! Today, it appeared that the dock will be "t" shaped as opposed to straight, as it was. I don't know what the budget situation is, especially since they had to do a complete rebuild. DIY's Blog Cabin seems to be the project with the lesser expenditure. They didn't even begin furnishing the BC till 2011! The water is quite shallow, especially at low tide, so any boat will have to havepractically a flat bottom, I think. I love to fish, do you? I can see my self sitting for hours out there… sittin'on the dock of the Bay…oh, yeah! Good luck to you in the sweepstakes! Keep coming up with your thoughts and ideas!!!B)^_^xD Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 5, 2013 at 9:43 pm
    • I love the Siding and the color! And the porch would have a swing for me and my wife. Dreaming of me and my wife moving in the Blog Cabin! Some blessed person will get to live there!

RonnieJames6182 on March 9, 2013 at 2:56 pm
  2. It's going to be well built and beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing the images and hints of things to come!!

Lia_M on March 1, 2013 at 6:29 pm
  3. It's going to be breathtaking! I can't wait to see the finished house!!!

TishaStanley on March 1, 2013 at 6:37 pm
  4. Dear Mary and Mr. Eastman, I'm so impressed. Just love all the photos and finally got to see the mystery side of the Cottage that was kept out of sight..also it was good to be inside for a change and get to view the outside and Water view! The Cottage is getting stronger everyday…It is amazing as to how much work goes on inside!!! Beautiful from Everywhere you are…I hope we will get to see more soon…You know we can't get enough..LOL The Windows, Doors, Siding, Trim, everything looks great..The Guys are doing a great job and very dedicated to this project and hard workers…So glad to hear Desperate Landscapes will be rebuilding the Dock..Great news!!
    I will repeat just one request if I may, would you Please install a Camera Cam inside, maybe in the kitchen Corner and turn it towards the living and dining Rm…so we Bloggers can have a day to day view of the progress being made..We won't get in the way, We promise..Smile…Thank you again, for the impressive
    tour and Great Photos!!! Have a Good Evening!!

Jennie/Florida on March 1, 2013 at 7:00 pm
    • Wonderfully said, Jennie!!! I love having the new perspective from the inside looking around and out…just makes it feel more like 'Home', somewhere I very much long to be!!! ^_^<3

I saw your reply about the blinds, and you have convinced me! I switched to the white…I guess I was more worried about white showing any dust/sand that would blow through the opened windows, but then again I realized I would just have the blinds pulled open out of the way when the windows are open anyway, so shouldn't be much of a problem at all! Thank you for opening my eyes!!! :D

Shelly313 on March 4, 2013 at 10:53 am
    • Thank you Shelly! …… I liked those Truffle blinds, but Not for this Cottage! If the New Owner wasn't pleased with the rust brown Color, it would be something to Win this over $700 thousand Beauty and have to spend a Small fortune to replace the blinds. The soft Cottage White will go with anything!

Shelly, The 2010 BC in Bethel, NY. They had a Camera Cam in the Front yard, the Back yard and in the Kitchen Corner… We watched activity in all three rooms and it was so much fun to see the Designers do their Projects…Soooooo Much Fun!!!! The Guys had fun too…

Maybe Mr. Eastman will Surprise Us Devoted Bloggers this year !!!!!! Keep Our Fingers Crossed!!:p

Jennie/Florida on March 4, 2013 at 11:59 am
    • I second this request!!!:D Pretty please???<3<3<3

JudyInMich on March 4, 2013 at 2:31 pm
    • You convinced me too Jennie, I'm switching to the white, it would look better from the outside….

karenlin91 on March 4, 2013 at 3:27 pm
    • Rust brown? There is no rust brown choice here, or anything even close.

Ishmael on March 5, 2013 at 3:37 am
    • Hi Ishmael, if you Google the Truffle color, I'm pretty sure you will find that it is a rust brown color, sheer of course for the shades, but still on the darker side. Cottage white will go with any Decor in the Cottage…Not to worry, the Truffle is winning anyway!!!! Have a good day!

Jennie/Florida on March 5, 2013 at 9:42 am
    • Jennie, where did you hear that Desperate Landscapes would do the dock? I would be so happy if they were the ones.

vicki_in_Utah on March 4, 2013 at 6:34 pm
    • It was mentioned in the caption of photo #5 of the 19 "Final Framing" photos posted this last weekend.

RLD on March 4, 2013 at 7:09 pm
    • Thank you RLD, I couldn't remember where I read that about Jason and Desperate Landscapes.
      I am so glad that Jason and his Crew will be there at the Cottage..I love their Landscapes…:p<3

Jennie/Florida on March 4, 2013 at 7:55 pm
  5. Really looks fantastic so far the transformation!

grswla on March 1, 2013 at 7:09 pm
  6. Thank you so much for the update! What a wonderful peek at the inside progress. I agree with Jennie that an inside cam at this point would be fun and informative. Love the look so far!

Grammagail on March 1, 2013 at 7:12 pm
  7. Thank you for the update, what a wonderful surprise! Everything is beautiful! I would like to add my pleas to Jennie's . If there was a camera inside, we really really wouldn't get in the guy's way. This place just gets better and better and better!

karenlin91 on March 1, 2013 at 7:33 pm
    • I just thought of something. We are going to go crazy watching stuff being carried into the house and not being able to see what's happening inside. Please! Have Pity ;-)

karenlin91 on March 1, 2013 at 7:48 pm
  8. Well! Drat! I got home too late to do any zooming around the cam to see what was left for us! Did anyone see anything?

karenlin91 on March 1, 2013 at 7:34 pm
    • No Karen, I zoomed around 4:00 this afternoon when the guys were cleaning up and putting everything away. Have you heard something? Oh you mean a note on the Vines…No, I didn't see one..we're due, I would think!!
      It's So nice to get a message from the guys to let us know, they know we're there! Maybe tomorrow!!!

Jennie/Florida on March 1, 2013 at 7:51 pm
    • PS, I forgot Laurie did say soon we would be getting another message…So nice of Her to join us and blog…

Jennie/Florida on March 1, 2013 at 7:55 pm
    • Up above, Mary said " Each crew has left a little something behind for die-hard fans. Have you noticed anything unusual in the Cabin Cam? Hint: Zoom in. " You can bet I'll be zooming around tomorrow morning…..sighhhhhhh, and probably zoom right over anything……

karenlin91 on March 1, 2013 at 10:03 pm
    • Karen, I've scanned ALL DAY LONG and the only thing I can see that they left is Cleanup Work to be done….Ha Ha! Kidding! Why did they hide their "Little Something" for us so we can't find it???? :p

Jennie/Florida on March 2, 2013 at 5:08 pm
    • I've zoomed and zoomed, but don't see anything left for us. What am I missing?? A little help, please.

Bev on March 2, 2013 at 3:26 pm
  9. Mary and Dylan, Thank you for the post. The pictures are wonderful and give a person a feeling of security that the house is sound and well built and will with stand anything mother nature will send its way. I can't wait to see what is being done next week. So exciting! Becky :) <3

bythebaydreamer on March 1, 2013 at 8:18 pm
    • You said it well, Becky! There IS a sense of strength in seeing how the extra strapping, buttressing and cross-anchoring views help us feel really secure about extra measures taken by Dylan's and Roby Construction's teams! The Mid Atlantic Coastline does have annual high wind storms–they are to be expected. This home really appears well-built foundationally and upwards–that translates to a good sense of security. My only Major Comment, at this time is to urge the Winner, since apparently, DIY isn't providing it, to IMMEDIATELY build a very strong–I SAY–built onto the actual house structure as part of and transitioned from the structure/same materials and not off separately–a sizeable storage shelter for outside furnishings, BBQ Grill, lawn tractor, fishing equipment, kayaks, etc. One of those sheds you can buy in hardware big box stores will not survive a CAT 2 storm! Objects within will become the projectiles one is trying to avoid, by storing them. This really is for the safety of the resident. Hurricane Season runs during most of the Summer. I'm probably driving you Bloggies nuts over this, but I've been through a few hurricanes and had losses, so I care and safety of life and limb comes first: this place needs storage and not one that can easily float away like an island. LOVE YOU GUYS!<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 2, 2013 at 5:25 pm
    • Hi Kitty, you have a right to be concerned and so am I… A Security Shed for lawn equipment and all the things you listed will need to be secured during all storms especially Nor'Easters and Hurricanes!!!
      Hurricane Season starts June 1st and ends last of November…Long time to worry about outdoor items. I thought for sure the Reason we Never got a peek at the North/West wall was because they were going to surprise us with a Nice Shed built onto the back of the Cottage.They had lots of redbrick left to secure the Shed to the Cottage. When I didn't see the brick anymore I said Yes! they built a nice Shed!! I thought the first floor back wall looked strange with no windows but thought that was because they were adding a Shed..It's sad the Cottage had more closets, storage and bedrooms before they took the Cottage down..There isn't much storage space inside that I can see and outside is in desperate need of a Storage Shelter..I was thinking, that Shed might have been a good place to stay during the Storms if it were build strong like the rest of the Cottage since it was on the Back wall out of direct storm…Just My Thoughts! Kitty, I hope you are feeling better!!!

Jennie/Florida on March 2, 2013 at 6:50 pm
    • Have we seen the other back wall? Maybe something could be done there?

karenlin91 on March 2, 2013 at 7:13 pm
    • Hi Karen what other back wall?? Do you mean the West wall where the Master Bath is? I really don't think they are going to build a Storage Shelter at this late date, I hope I'm wrong, We never know!

I'm about cross-eyed from Camera Cam-ing all day!!!! LOLo.0

Jennie/Florida on March 2, 2013 at 7:38 pm
    • yeah, I was thinking, we haven't seen anything from there…..but actually we did, it was in the picture from the newspaper, after they wrapped the house, i think, so they didn't put anything there…..sigh……it will just have to be done immediately by the owner…I think you guys are right about it being a necessity….
      from my cross eyes to yours…..how did you do that cross eyed face? perfect!

karenlin91 on March 2, 2013 at 8:03 pm
    • I kept thinking and hoping the same, Jennie. Was very disappointed on that issue. IMHO, this particular issue can be a real life preserving one. You're right, also about finding a windowless, low place to ride through any tornado warnings–and unfortunately these not only come on their own, but also spawn during Nor'easters and hurricanes. Folks, this is reality. Life has its realities and we need to just practice for contingencies and not panic. Some places have other types of things to overcome. The ones Jennie, Karenlin and I are discussing are very relevant here in NC and we surely do not intend to be melodramatic. it seems the winner will need to add on a very strong attached storage…. :o B)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 2, 2013 at 9:53 pm
    • I grew up near Kansas City, Mo , and have seen a whole neighborhood reduced to knee high piles of rubble from a tornado, impressive, but NOT in a good way! Good solid storage, and a secure bolt hole are a must!

karenlin91 on March 2, 2013 at 11:19 pm
    • Absolutely agree Karenlin!B)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 2, 2013 at 11:31 pm
    • I'll put in my 2cents worth here on damaging storms – in our first spring season here in the country, we were constantly under tornado threat and had no where to go, living in a travel trailer. We took refuge in our shop because of its steel construction. The next spring we had a company come out and install an underground shelter. Where hurricanes are a threat, safe storage for outside items is a must to prevent everything being a projectile. And where tornadoes are a threat, the same needs to be considered as well as a safe place to find immediate refuge. I have friends who faced hurricanes and we have compared notes. Hurricane victims can avoid some damage by securing their stuff and evacuating. Tornado victims can only hold on and hope for the best. Either way, a safe place to store & secure stuff would make sense.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 2, 2013 at 11:22 pm
    • Wind Chime Girl you are so right on! An underground shelter is unlikely here due to the water table. Often, with tornadoes, they can drop from the sky suddenly and nearby, before one can exit, so being aware of the threatening pressure conditions is important. Diving into an enclosed closet or inner bathroom, preferably inside the tub is good. If you're out driving as I was many years ago, I had my 2 daughters in the car, it was stormy looking but only sprinkly, I was a single mom heading home from the girl's school, so since it didn't seem menacing, I stopped at the apartment complex mailbox drive-up place, stepped out, grabbed mail, wind whooshed, I jumped behind wheel thinking, better get home fast now, gonna rain hard–the next thing, before I could back out of parking, our car was lifted off the parking lot, shaking and just beginning to circle. I cried out, "Jesus!" and the left side tires hit ground 1st, we were in a tilt for seconds, I cried out "Jesus, save us" the right side wheels hit asphault with a slight bounce. There was no warning. Back then there weren't even seat belts in the back seat! for my precious girls! It was a rare quick tornado touch down then back skyward! We were safe and drove to our apartment and all I could think as the right thing to do was to take the girls in my arms, and explain what had happened and that we had witnessed a mighty miracle of God's intervention! You're right WCG, always have a safeplace to escape to—and living on open waters such as BC is, I would secure as much as possible with a hurricane en route, move what you can upstairs. EVACUATE. DO NOT HOLD A HURRICANE PARTY. When I lived in Mississippi during Hurricane Camille, I know of a huge hurricane party in Gulfport. No survivors. It was not the wind. It was the water surge. 2 blocks inland.:S:o<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 2, 2013 at 11:57 pm
    • Thankfully I have lived a fairly shelter life here in New England. Thank you for the education! All of the information your talking about is so critically important and NEEDS to be listened to!!!
      "An once of prevention is worth a pound of cure"! Becky :) <3

bythebaydreamer on March 3, 2013 at 1:37 am
    • Absolutely. New England has been having it's share of storms lately too. It is all a matter of time, and the wisdom to have made a plan just in case.B)xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 3, 2013 at 10:15 pm
  10. Thanks for info. about the photos. Love seeing all of this. AGAIN ! help, anyone, please ! Why do my comments always have a "thumbs down"? I love the site and all the sharing with bloggers. Have a good night everyone. :)

Nan on March 1, 2013 at 8:28 pm
    • Nan Everyones posts have a thumbs up and down on them. I wouldn't read too much into it.
      Chris-IN

chris50555 on March 2, 2013 at 11:35 am
    • Simply someone disagreeing….no big deal. I expect some people to disagree with some of my choices and posts. Nothing to take personally. Psychologically, studies have shown that people are more likely to voice disagreement than agreement…..meaning that though a post might not garner a "thumbs up", it is likely that many people agree with you but not voice that. However, if someone disagrees with you, they are more likely to voice that. Not sure how our bloggers compare with the general population.

RLD on March 2, 2013 at 12:39 pm