Feb 28

People’s Choice: Vote for Main Living Area Features

People's Choice Blog Cabin 2013 Main Living Area

Today begins your opportunity to vote for appliances, door hardware, the fire element style and even porch decking. Vote now and invite friends to participate in the fun!

• Posted at 11:01 am on February 2, 2013

1. Thank you blogger friends! I love reading all your comments and ideas. Great inspirations and good enough reasons for me to change some of my choices. Like the idea of the keeping the flat roof and blue ceiling for the " traditional low country" ( learn something new=) The advice it would be easier to keep clean and help prevent pests from building nests also swayed me. After some color checks, I will change to the white blinds and the Cobblestone Grey for the porch deck although not the most popular choices. Last change will be go for the crystal door knobs. It soooo nice to be able to change votes after rethinking and reading all the very smart and informative comments. Good luck to all!!!!!

dona on March 1, 2013 at 8:13 pm
  2. Finally got to vote today – yesterday said I had already cast my votes o.0 …glad whatever problems were going on initially with the votes yesterday were ironed out!

Not too keen on the sandstone color for the porch deck, in my visualization it doesn't really go with the Arctic Mist color of the siding or the dark shingles…I think the sandstone would have gone well with the Urban colors if they had won for both the siding and interior colors, but then again, I'm not an expert! But still, hoping the vote will change in favor for the Cobblestone color!

Other than that, I'm happy with the front-loading washer/dryer set, the oven w/warming drawer, the glass knobs, the Tea Green tiles, and the truffle blinds (white would show dirt/dust too easily imo). I love the old fashioned free standing fireplace, but would be happy with either…would prefer wood-burning, but I guess gas is easier! I love driftwood as a decoration, so I choose the traditional railing. And I can't wait to see what the coffee table made from the old foundation looks like…maybe the table decoration will be that beautiful giant shell that was sitting on the original dining table! :D

Shelly313 on March 1, 2013 at 9:00 pm
  3. I am voting for the Cobblestone Grey for Porch Deck since it will match with exterior colors…the white blinds to let it be light & match the exterior colors…front loading washer/dryer (use at home)…traditional fireplace to showcase the original cabin mantle….old foundation to be reused…flat ceiling for ceiling fans installation and agree with CarlaMcalister about screening in porch…..I am from NC & stayed many times at the coast & it would be better to screen the porch in…..crystal door knobs are cooool….I know this was not an option but hope there is a place for a little library for reading…perhaps the family/media/bedroom..??? :D

Maria on March 1, 2013 at 9:57 pm
  4. By the way, what is going to be in the lowered floor area in one of the photos at the side of house? A hot tub? Big Mystery to solve….:o

Maria on March 1, 2013 at 10:02 pm
  5. my dear God..I been fiilling enter fors..so many tears..to see if I`m the lucky winner of one of your beatifull houses…I been trying..I dont have the money to buy one…right know I`m 68 yrs old and used to work to take care of my threee kids by self and my dream after i was pretty sick amd I still amm..is to leave the kids, that right know they are over 40 yr…but I have the daughter that leave with me (that she is diabetic and have a lot of sickness, but never leave me…that is something happen to me, at least she get something to call her own….Their father was without seen then for over 30 yrs…and I know they dont care..I just hope someday I be the winner of one of your houses..right know I`m dealing with housing after so much working i did..Thank you and telling this I feel free..because thats is my dream before God Call me..Nilda Przymusik…from 4980eaglesmere dr.. 1014. .Orlando..Fl. 32819

Nilda on March 2, 2013 at 4:19 am
    • Okay, please identify yourself for the negative vote(s) here.
      Everyone stands a chance. Please, people.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 4, 2013 at 10:01 pm
    • Ah, come on, who's the meanie? Or am I missing something? I've been called naive before, so?
      What gives?
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 5, 2013 at 10:40 pm
  6. Re Porch Ceiling….
    Look at final framing photos 11 & 12 (of 19). The framing appears to have integral cross-braces that are horizontal at ceiling level. Not sure how they can easily convert that to the vaulted style without weakening the porch roof…..unless the vaulting is shallow and below the cross braces. Time for input from "builder".

RLD on March 2, 2013 at 12:50 pm
  7. I love the gas stove's they are so nice to cook on. I also loved the wood burning stove to warm up on a chilly evening! Becky :) <3

bythebaydreamer on March 2, 2013 at 6:46 pm
  8. Has anyone seen a comment from a voter in favor of the Sand Dune porch decking – maybe giving an explanation or reason for voting that way?

Wind Chime Girl on March 2, 2013 at 7:41 pm
    • Don't remember who said it, WCG, but someone said the sand tracked up onto the porch would blend in better with the sandstone color and not show up as badly as it would on the cobblestone color. Either way, the future owner is going to have to sweep occasionally, so I think it would be better to have a color that matches the house better than the sand! LOL ;)

Shelly313 on March 2, 2013 at 8:12 pm
    • Thanks Shelly, I missed that one, agree with you on the sand and sweeping. My porch is natural wood (dirt color) and I can see dirt and sand on it, constantly sweeping it. Of course, now it's covered with leaves and stuff blowing around. Pet hair
      etc. Never ending!
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 2, 2013 at 8:37 pm
    • You're welcome! I'm still trying to catch up on the blogs, been a busy couple of days and only skimming quickly, so kind of funny I caught the one you missed!!! :D And this is the season that is nearly pointless to sweep, my entryway and patio have a few leaves on them too! Definitely never ending!!! haha! o.0:D

Shelly313 on March 2, 2013 at 9:06 pm
    • I'm still catching up, too. And it looks like I'm still days behind on the blogs. Wind here has been brutal, no point in sweeping against Mother Nature, she will have her way!
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 4, 2013 at 10:03 pm
    • That she will!!! haha!:D

Shelly313 on March 5, 2013 at 10:52 am
    • I think some folks might be thinking this is a traditional ocean front area, but it isn't. You won't have that sort of sand tracking in. Any sand will come off your feet or shoes on the walk through the yard from the small beach area. The house is on the sound. Sandy dirt from the yard isn't like beach sand; it has some blackish dirt mixed in, and if it's on your shoes, it's going to track regardless of the deck color. On the plus side, the dirt is easy to wash off!

Bev on March 3, 2013 at 10:00 am
    • Don't know why that comment needs to be approved by the "site admins". There certainly wasn't anything bad in it!

Bev on March 3, 2013 at 10:02 am
    • All I see is black clay soil, no sand. There's very little beach or sand and it's all about 300ft from the house. I much prefer the 'cobblestone' tone flooring. I guess the winner will just have to live with it or change it. A few area rugs will cover it up to some degree. ;)

AnniesOwn on March 4, 2013 at 10:52 pm
    • Way to think positive, Annie! I was scratching my head over the justification for the sandstone too because, like you said, there's very little beach or sand, and nothing but the black clay soil (which will really make the sandstone look dirtier than the cobblestone), and hopefully will soon be covered in grass. By the time one reaches the porch, most everything on the shoes and feet will be knocked off by the steps up. And I know some say the colors will still match, but I really don't see that either. Area rugs, it is! haha! ;) :D

Shelly313 on March 5, 2013 at 10:57 am
    • Annie, they do make some great outdoor rugs now, I saved up some coins and bought a couple for my porch. My cats loved them, sad to say. But – I can't keep the rugs down now with the winds, they blow everywhere, it's insane. I've got rocks (I'm a rockhound) holding everything down. And the leaves and pet hair just swirls!!! But, I love it because I'm not in the city.
      It looks like the Sand Dune color has picked up a point with us just talking about it. Maybe I'd better zip it. Thank you Shelly and Annie and everyone for all the input. I really enjoy reading all this. Really.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 5, 2013 at 10:49 pm
  9. I was pleasantly surprised by the choices this round. Love the crystal door knobs & was relieved that traditional railing was popular. The green tea tile was calm & beautiful. Can't wait to see the finished coffee table, I'm sure it will be beautiful. ^_^

Jen_in_nc on March 2, 2013 at 10:31 pm
  10. So sorry, but it's me again questioning. I had the time tonight to go back over the old BC photos and I saw what I think is the old fireplace mantel in question. There are two chimneys on the old house but I saw only one mantel in the photos. The one pictured is not one I'd hang my vote on. Am I missing something? It's kind of quaint & rough. Is that the draw for it?
    WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 3, 2013 at 1:14 am
    • Oh, come on you guys, surely someone has an opinion + or – on this one. Let's hear it, please?

Wind Chime Girl on March 4, 2013 at 10:07 pm
    • I just now saw your post…I have a lot of catching up to do which explains why I saw this! I have only seen a pic of one mantle, but you are right, there were two chimneys on the roof. I will need to go back through the pics to see if I can find any that show the second mantle, but I'm guessing the main pic is probably the one that would be used, and the one voters are wanting. I actually like that mantle too, but then again I also love the free standing fireplace (my personal choice). I am personally ok with either choice, but if you want others opinions, you may need to repost your question on the newest blog where it's most likely to be responded to. I just happen to be here because I wanted to see what I had missed out on. :)

Shelly313 on March 5, 2013 at 11:08 am
    • Sweet Shelly, I hope you get this, I don't want to go to the new thread for this. I went through every picture again of the old homestead (hubby ?'d me!), missing sleep to do it. There is only the one mantel I saw. Almost everyone that voted for the fireplace mentioned the old mantel & hoped it would be re-used. I gotta tell you, that old mantel looked pretty, uh, not so hot. So, if it's a new mantel folks are voting on, hurray. I'm still hanging in there with my unpopular stove vote. I don't get to vote 10 X's per day, as a rule, but all we can do is make our choices known. Will of the People, and so on. I have no heartburn with that. I've mentioned already elsewhere how much I appreciate your input and your suggestions. I'll just ditto those sentiments here again. Thanks, girl.
      WCG