Feb 28

People’s Choice: Vote for Main Living Area Features

People's Choice Blog Cabin 2013 Main Living Area

Today begins your opportunity to vote for appliances, door hardware, the fire element style and even porch decking. Vote now and invite friends to participate in the fun!

• Posted at 11:01 am on February 2, 2013

1. Let me add my plea to please, please, please screen in the front porch!!!!

Moving2theCoast on March 1, 2013 at 4:01 am
    • I agree. The people at DIY and HGTV have never done screened in porches and I have no idea why.

flashy on March 1, 2013 at 9:32 am
    • Hi Flashy, the first Blog Cabin in 2007 had a screened in back porch that overlooked the mountains in Tennessee…

Jennie/Florida on March 1, 2013 at 9:48 am
    • We can keep pleading for a screened in porch, but it isn't one of the options we can vote on. At any rate, it is something the winner can install later without a huge expense.

Windsmurf on March 1, 2013 at 10:19 am
    • It would be great to have at least a portion of a porch screened in, whether on the front or on the deck. The spring and summer pests around there are REALLY "pesky"!!

Bev on March 1, 2013 at 11:48 am
  2. Thank goodness the built in fireplace is the winning choice. Not a fan of the blind choice that is winning, but you can change that.

flashy on March 1, 2013 at 9:34 am
  3. Hi bloggers! We get to vote again on something new. I think the cobblestone will look better then the sanddune because the outside is gray, just seems it would look better. As for the washer & dryer the uprights tend to smell very bad, not a choose for me. I love the knobs and hope they use some of the old ones from the old cottage. I love burning wood the heat ,look and smell are the best every. Gas just isn't the same! I hope they paint the porch ceiling sky blue and don't screen it in please! Hope to here some replies, WE-Z :)

WE-Z on March 1, 2013 at 1:11 pm
    • There's no chance they will give the cottage an open wood fire. DIY are trying for LEED accreditation and an open wood fire would completely negate that. They're just too messy and polluting for the indoor and outdoor environment. Many areas of the country have baned open indoor fires.

I agree, gas fires are a pale immitation of the real thing. They don't put out much heat and can get messy easily when people throw things into them. Also, leave them unused for any length of time and dust quickly builds-up then it catches fire when the gas is used and makes a smelly mess. At least the propane stove can give good heat to the room and remain clean (even if it's not green and will cost a lot to use).

Front loaders are much more efficient for power consumption, water use, load size and garment protection, and if cleaned as per the user instructions, will not be any more smelly than top loaders. They're also stackable so use a lot less space.:)

AnniesOwn on March 1, 2013 at 3:39 pm
  4. Hi Bloggers, just took a look at the Cottage..Nice day, The sky is so beautiful with the different shades of blues and greens, well at least it is on my monitor!!! Pretty chilly day but those Young men just keep on plunging along..Very dedicated Workers and doing a great job!!!
    I have a question for The Bloggers who are voting for the Truffle color Blinds, do you realize that color is like
    a Rust Brown color and will darken the rooms? I thought we all wanted to keep the rooms light and airy, that color of blind will prevent bright light in the rooms..also with the gray and white outside, the truffle color doesn't really go with the white/gray from the outside..If you would like to see that truffle color of blind you can Google Budget Blinds and see the color… Budget Blinds I guess are providing the blinds for BC. I think Cottage White will brighten the rooms more and keep with the Beach-y and Nautical decor we are voting on..Check the Blinds on the website and see what you think….
    My Picks…Love the Crystal door knob, Green Tea P/R tile, Cobblestone deck color to go with the Siding,
    Traditional Stair/rails, Range/Baking Drawer, Either Ceiling for porch will do especially if they screen the porch, lower ceiling would be easier to keep clean, Front Load W/D and best of all the Built-in Fireplace…It will look so good in the Living room with the lovely Antique Mantle… Finally we get a fireplace for the a BC…Yeah!!!!
    Please Bloggers since we just started our votes, maybe you will rethink your choice for the blinds. Lot of windows to be covered with blinds and that Truffle color might not go with every room that we chose decor for. Have a Wonderful Warm Day!!!

Jennie/Florida on March 1, 2013 at 2:52 pm
    • Blinds are so easily changed it's not a significant issue for me.^_^

Ally on March 1, 2013 at 3:14 pm
    • Hey Jennie, the truffle color appeared more of a light sand color to me, so I was thinking it would appear complimentary and soft in color up against the Coastal or white colors inside, still light and airy without showing dust/sand too easily. Now I will have to try to find a picture that better represents the color…just wish I knew for sure who was providing the blinds because different companies can use the same name but the actual shades can vary greatly brand to brand. But this is why I chose the truffle color.

Shelly313 on March 2, 2013 at 8:30 pm
    • Hi Shelly, Good morning!! if I'm not mistaken the Blinds are coming from Budget Blinds. I mentioned that in my Post above!! I just think the Cottage White would look brighter and cheerful and the truffle would make the rooms a little darker. It would cost a small fortune to have to order all new Custom made blinds for the Cottage if the Owner didn't like the Brown tone.. The Cottage White blinds makes it much easier to change colors and Decor as often as you like..Just My Thoughts!

Jennie/Florida on March 3, 2013 at 12:55 pm
    • Hey Jennie, Don't be shy and feel free to 'reach out and TAP me on the back of my head' when I obviously didn't have a clue about who was providing the blinds! :D haha! I had been voting from my cellphone, so because of zooming in to see the selections, I completely overlooked the advertisement for…of all companies…Budget Blinds!!!…clearly located below the voting block! My apologies! :$

Shelly313 on March 3, 2013 at 12:42 pm
    • The info link only shows the white blinds so I went to their website and saw what appears to be truffle blinds in one of the pictures (and a "rust brown color" in another) – all beautiful blinds, I might add! I still think the truffle color is a beautiful light sandy color that will be a nice transition from the white and Coastal colors downstairs to the wood ceiling and Coastal colors upstairs, and I have a feeling there will be many white touches from the trim work to furniture pieces that will make the truffle appear even lighter. And best of all, when windows are open and dust/sand is blowing all around, the truffle colored fabric blinds will disguise the inevitable a lot easier than the white blinds…but white or truffle (both beautiful!), all blinds will be pulled up so I can have a clear unobstructed view of the beautiful surroundings during the day! ;)

Shelly313 on March 3, 2013 at 12:42 pm
    • I agree with you, Shelly, and I think Jennie more than "tapped you". Har!! But I know it's all in the good spirit of voting and our opinions.

Wind Chime Girl on March 4, 2013 at 9:54 pm
  5. I like the new products to vote for, but the one thing I keep reading most is that our bloggers are not happy with the front loading washer and dryer choices why? Either way the Blog Cabin is getting a pair of brand new washer and dryer I personally prefer the front loaders but that's just me.

pixelecho69 on March 1, 2013 at 3:05 pm
    • The way I read it is that almost all prefer the front loaders but a few prefer top loaders. For all the reasons stated by Clive & others I believe stacked front loaders are the best option for this house. ^_^

Ally on March 1, 2013 at 3:11 pm
    • As long as they are efficient and included I'm happy with either type if I win. :) . I've used both top and front loading and they both have their pros and cons.

Lia_M on March 1, 2013 at 6:24 pm
  6. I like the free standing wood stove. It has a rustic feel. The built in fireplace just seemed too modern. I love vintage!

Denise Smith on March 1, 2013 at 3:33 pm
    • Hi Denise, did you see all the Antiques and furnishings in the Cottage to begin with? The Old Mantel in the living room from that fireplace was saved and hopefully will be used on the fireplace we are voting on, if it wins…

Jennie/Florida on March 1, 2013 at 3:53 pm
    • But, the mantel can be used elsewhere?

Wind Chime Girl on March 4, 2013 at 9:55 pm
  7. I can just see my husband and I rocking away and enjoying the peaceful surroundings as we are both retired. On second thought I would probably be there waiting for him to come home from fishing (that is if I wasn't with him). I do agree that at least part of the porch should be screened in to keep those nasty bugs from getting in. I do not want to by swatting Mesqitoes while I am on the porch. Love, love , love the cabin though.

Carol Buckhalter on March 1, 2013 at 4:40 pm
  8. BRAND NEW THREAD~~ PICTURES ON "MAIN" WOOHOO!!! Have a great safe weekend every Bloggie! :D B):*:p<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 1, 2013 at 6:01 pm
  9. Dear Bloggers, Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with HE front-loading washers. I have decided to vote for that option as I am all for saving energy and water and dollars. Sandman, thank you also for sharing your experience. I am sorry that it has been so negative. However, judging from what our fellow bloggers have said, these things should not be happening with your appliance. It does sound like you may have gotten a lemon, so keep after the manufacturer and/or the store from which you bought it, until they either make it perform as promised or replace it. It is in their best interest to keep their customers happy. Best of luck, and, again thanks for sharing. Boo

Boo on March 1, 2013 at 6:04 pm
  10. I live about 30 miles from this place. I am so sorry that they are not putting a screened in porch on this house. The mosquitos and biting flies can be a problem in the warm months in this area. What a shame to miss out on that view and the smell of the salt air because of pests. A screened porch would have made all the difference. Otherwise I love it.

CarlaMcAlister on March 1, 2013 at 6:39 pm
    • Please don't say you know for sure there will be no screened-in porches.
      If so, I'm so very disappointed.
      WCG