Feb 28

People’s Choice: Vote for Main Living Area Features

People's Choice Blog Cabin 2013 Main Living Area

Today begins your opportunity to vote for appliances, door hardware, the fire element style and even porch decking. Vote now and invite friends to participate in the fun!

• Posted at 11:01 am on February 2, 2013

1. Things are looking great onsight!!!! The choices have been awesome!!!

ceddinger on February 28, 2013 at 6:35 pm
  2. Looking good!

Laurie_March on February 28, 2013 at 6:46 pm
    • Hi Laurie!

JudyInMich on February 28, 2013 at 9:48 pm
    • Hi Laurie, I hope you are having a good week. When will we see you on the Cabin Cam again? It is so much fun to be right there with you all. Do you know when the first show will be airing? Have a wonderful weekend and stop by the blog any time.
      Chris – IN

chris50555 on March 1, 2013 at 3:55 am
    • Hi Laurie, good to see you. I have a question along with Chris's. Do you know if the shows will air on HGTV also, or online? I can't get DIY network here. ;-(

karenlin91 on March 1, 2013 at 9:05 am
    • Laurie, thank you so much for posting! <3 We are all ears just in case you want to share any little secrets about the cabin with us! ;)

SID on March 1, 2013 at 4:38 pm
  3. Pt 2 – I have long been a fan of door levers instead of knobs, but sadly that was not an option here.
    If propane is the gas at BC, no worries, most appliances are adaptable. Expensive? Yes, but so are all utilities these days. And most propane companies will let you paint the above-ground tank, within limits. Some places won't allow above-ground tanks and the tank is in the ground so as not to be an eyesore.
    In re to the range – I don't know what a baking drawer is, someone please explain. As far as freestanding, I saw no difference in the photos. I couldn't get the "more info" window to open. Freestanding to me means there is no raised back on it, like for an island, and it has factory sides? Don't know any of that for sure.
    Anyway, good voting for us.
    WCG

Wind Chime Girl on February 28, 2013 at 6:47 pm
    • I really wouldn't want a baking drawer at the bottom of the stove! What a pain to have to bend down all the time to use it. I'll take the storage drawer over that any day of the week. Would be nice to have a warming drawer built in beside the stove, though, although I don't know if you can do that with gas.

Bev on February 28, 2013 at 7:11 pm
    • Yes, I agree 100%. I have my least used items in the lower drawer on my range. But, when I have family and friends over for festivus, I bake my potatoes ahead of time. It would be nice if I didn't have to get out my counter-top toaster-oven to keep the (sweet) potates warm. I'm thinking the baking drawer at the bottom could be used as the warming drawer? No? Yes? If in fact that is what the baking drawer is for.

Wind Chime Girl on February 28, 2013 at 7:58 pm
    • Excellent use for the warming drawer! :D

Shelly313 on March 1, 2013 at 7:58 pm
    • I have fond memories of my grandmother's propane tank. It was just about the right size so we kids could ride it like a horse ;-) I have no clue if it was dangerous to do so…..but I could live with one above ground..maybe with bushes to hide it a little….

karenlin91 on February 28, 2013 at 10:17 pm
    • LOL! How many times do kids stop to think…"huh, is this dangerous?" haha! When I was a kid in the Philippines, one of my friends and I took her dog for a walk up on Bunker Hill. We came across a tin roof that was ground level and there were rusted holes from years of erosion (and maybe bombings??), so we were able to peer down into a small room below ground that was completely filled to the top with rainwater, and we could also see an old military desk, chair, and a stack of wooden boxes that said, of all things, "Dangerous Explosives". :o And here we were super curious kids walking all over whatever rusted roof remained just so we could look down into this hidden bunker…so lucky we didn't fall through or get cut on the rusted tin! o.0

Shelly313 on March 1, 2013 at 8:26 pm
    • Shelly, so true ~~ but so funny too! LOL!:p:D<3 Thank God for Guardian Angels!!!^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 1, 2013 at 10:04 pm
    • Amen, Kitty!!! We definitely had Guardian Angels that day! At least once we noticed the words on the boxes we wisened up and decided it would be better to get off the tin roof and walk back down Bunker Hill! LOL o.0:o=/:D<3

Shelly313 on March 2, 2013 at 8:45 pm
    • Sometimes it amazes me that kids actually manage to grow up ;-)

karenlin91 on March 1, 2013 at 10:17 pm
    • I guess there is something to be said for childhood innocence and curiosity! haha! ;) ^_^:D

Shelly313 on March 2, 2013 at 8:48 pm
    • Shelly, I was just able to read this, OMG, how us kids used to do the most dangerous things. But, from my sheltered life, your story takes all my cakes!!
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 4, 2013 at 9:25 pm
    • I am happy with the baking drawer option. It is nice to have the option when you cook . It is like a second oven that can be set at a different temperature if you are cooking a large meal and if you only need to cook a small amount like a casserole you don't have to waste energy using the larger main oven. Right now I use my counter top small convection much more than my large oven (where I store pots and pans) but it takes a lot of counter space. I like the flexibility that the baking drawer would provide. My main oven as a warming oven instead of baking I use it mostly for storage but if I could use it as second oven it would be used more than the main cavity.

zulumom on March 1, 2013 at 5:18 am
    • Wind Chime Girl, glad you asked for an explanation.

I used to think I wouldn't want a warming drawer until someone explained that it would be a place for bread to rise. I think this would be another oven option that we'd be most interested in!

Thanks again for asking.

Trish on March 1, 2013 at 10:25 am
    • I found out that just using the oven light is enough warmth for getting the bread to rise, I also learned that when I make a batch of soap, instead of wrapping it all up in layers of towels, I just put the molds in the oven with the light on for a couple of hours. Comes out perfect each time. But the warming drawer, sounds like a really cool amenity.

Wind Chime Girl on March 1, 2013 at 11:18 am
    • Yes but ther is a difference here this is a baking, not warming drawer. Better because you can cook in it to high temperature.

zulumom on March 2, 2013 at 6:44 am
    • Our current stove/oven has two equally sized oven areas. The model with the baking drawer is similar. Although we don't use the lower oven nearly as much as the top, the lower baking space is a life-saver when our 'kids' are gathering at our place and we are cranking out big dinners. We will never buy another oven without the second oven capability. As for the cost of propane….if natural gas isn't available in the BC area, the other heating alternatives are electricity and fuel oil. Because of the moderate climate of NC (compared to where we are now….Michigan), we would save a fortune in heating fuel costs….even with the propane.

RLD on March 1, 2013 at 11:11 am
    • RLD in that climate zone and others in the mid to coastal south it is pretty much standard to use a heat pump unit for heat and air conditioning, so that is most likely what they will do with the BC this year. In warmer areas modern heat pumps are quite efficient. It would be wonderful if they used geothermal as they did this year in the HGTV Dream Home, but it is pretty expensive to install.

SID on March 1, 2013 at 4:48 pm
    • Yes I would have prefer that type like last year blog cabin had but of the 2 options offered the one with the extra flexibility of baking is the best. You can always use the space for pan storage if you don't use it.

zulumom on March 2, 2013 at 6:45 am
    • Our propane tank got filled today, we have the 250 gal size. It was 96.9 gal. @ $2.20/gal. Without going back over my old invoices, that is ~ the same or a hair less than the previous fill. In the end, it all evens out btwn electricity and propane. One goes up, the other goes down depending on the season. But – that is 2 months worth of propane with the moderate winter we are having this season.
      We were in the high 70's today and looking forward to the 80's tomorrow. Unseasonably warm weather this winter for us, but a cold front coming tomorrow afternoon. We never know what will happen from day to day. 5 years ago it snowed the day before Easter. But, are propane costs in line with other heating costs? Natural gas prices should be SO much lower now with all the gas drilling going on.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 4, 2013 at 9:38 pm
  4. Okay, now I'm really shoving my HO's out there – but for everyone, including me, that wants to see the old touches from the original home & fireplace used in BC, how about this? You make a "mock" fireplace on the wall behind the stove. Use tile, or whatever the (soapstone !?!?) stove stands on, and you still get to use the mantle as a decorative embellishment. That's what hubby and I were going to do until we figured out we needed the wall space. Freestanding woodburning (Soapstone?!?) stoves need someplace to back up to and a faux fireplace is perfect. Old homesteads I've been familiar with have used that very same decorative method, although not planned. The results were beautiful.
    Just extremely IMHO.
    WCG

Wind Chime Girl on February 28, 2013 at 7:20 pm
    • That's a very interesting idea, WC girl! I do love the handcrafted appearance of the original fireplace and mantel. I was thinking, also (this may sound crazy) but it might also make a nice headboard for a bed! :-)

Karen_NEOH on March 1, 2013 at 12:17 am
    • Very good idea there, Karen.
      Seems like I aggravated a few with my suggestion, though, I have a neg. vote on me, but no neg. comments – ??

Wind Chime Girl on March 1, 2013 at 11:23 am
    • How can you tell if there are negative votes for sure? Every time I give a "thumbs up" BOTH thumbs turn green and red respectively…I wish the numbers would separately reflect both…but then again, I don't think there should be any "thumbs down", if someone doesn't like or agree with a post, either ignore it by not giving a "thumbs up", or leave an appropriate comment.

Shelly313 on March 5, 2013 at 10:50 am
    • Not sure why anyone would want both a woodburning stove and gas fireplace in the same room? I don't see the point of having both. If the woodstove is for events where power is out, then just go with the stove and forget the fireplace. You can still do something decorative behind the stove since something is needed to deflect heat, but you wouldn't need a fireplace or anything looking like a fireplace behind it. I'd prefer the fireplace, and maybe putting a small woodburning stove elsewhere?

Bev on March 1, 2013 at 11:46 am
    • I've seen them Bev. a regular fireplace is inefficient for heating, and I have seen wood burning, or pellet stoves put in front of old fireplace for better heating. It can look pretty cool. Inefficient or not I love my fireplace, but I found an old cast iron stove and have it out on the patio….just because I love the look of it, haven't used it, but could if I wanna ;-)

karenlin91 on March 1, 2013 at 12:15 pm
    • Bev, I'm just now getting to see your reply so – you may not see mine here.
      I lived in an old farmhouse a little while in my younger years and most of the heating was done with WB stoves. There were a couple of places in the old home where fireplaces once stood, but were filled in, or something, I can't say now what it was. But the flues were adapted for WB stoves and with the old fireplace mantels, it made for a beautiful little niche. That's all I was offering – for those that wavered between the stove or fireplace. It's irrelevant now, it seems.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on March 4, 2013 at 9:46 pm
  5. Don't care for front-load washers. Had one in beach house before — smells! And HE detergent more expensive and, IMO, doesn't clean as well as regular detergent. Don't want to have to leave the doors standing open, as another blogger suggested. Also don't care for the vaulted ceiling — great place for pests to build! IMO, the cobblestone decking would match the gray siding better than the tan decking. Really don't want a baking drawer at the bottom of the stove! Better to have a side-by-side with the smaller baking oven on one side and reg. oven on the other. Don't want to be bending over all the time to use a baking drawer on the bottom, and don't want to tempt kids with that, either. Would love to have a warming drawer by the stove, though, but don't know if that can be done with gas.

Bev on February 28, 2013 at 7:27 pm
  6. Love the fire place — make for a nice cozy warmth on the chilly spring and fall evenings. Love the crystal door knobs to help maintain the original "age" of the cabin. Same is try for the traditional white banister. Think the truffle colored blinds are going to look dirty against the beautiful white trim of the new windows and the white ceilings and room trims; I'd prefer the white blinds. I personally think the driftwood table base would be more interesting than the old stumps. Of course, the good news is that these things are all cosmetic, so the winner can change them if he/she/they wish! Any of us would be lucky to have it!

Bev on February 28, 2013 at 7:27 pm
  7. Unfortunately, I voted late last night and it's now telling me that I've already voted 10 times today, so I can't vote yet on the new offerings. However, I agree with Bev about the crystal door knobs and traditional white banister to help maintain the look of the the original "age" of the cabin. I also agree about the truffle blinds looking dirty. Many were upset about the dark ceiling because they wanted a light, beachy look, so it seems to me that white blinds would be more in keeping with the lighter look. The driftwood table also lends more to the "beachy" look. However, as Bev said, these are cosmetic and can be easily changed if the winner wishes.
    I personally prefer a porch with a flat ceiling instead of the rafters. I know from the experience of living in the south all my life that the rafter style is much harder to clean or paint. Spider webs & dirt dobber/hornet/wasp nests are more frequent. Even if the porch is screened in, dirt blows in and gets trapped in crevices.

Moving2theCoast on February 28, 2013 at 8:02 pm
    • I don't think truffle colored blinds will look dirty, but I think they will hide the dirt better until spring/fall cleanings.

Wind Chime Girl on February 28, 2013 at 8:10 pm
    • I kinda waffle on the blinds. You've made a good point about hiding the dirt. I'm guessing it will depend on what material the blinds are made of as to which color I like the best. Also, what colors are ultimately used in the room. I know we voted on a color palette, but that doesn't tell us the exact color that will be used on the walls.

Moving2theCoast on March 1, 2013 at 4:00 am
    • Try loosing your cookies and emptying your browser's cache and you might be able to vote!!

Lia_M on February 28, 2013 at 8:32 pm
    • Thanks, Lia_M. That did the trick! :)

Moving2theCoast on February 28, 2013 at 10:46 pm
    • Great!! Happy voting!!

Lia_M on March 1, 2013 at 6:20 pm
    • Good tip! Will have to remember that.

Bev on March 1, 2013 at 11:52 am
  8. Great choices for the main living area!!! Heres are my -as usual – lengthy opinions:

I would love to see a coffee table made from the old stumps-great reuse!! Loved the crystal door knobs too- sparkly and give the house a vintage flair. :)

The power room tile was a toss up- I voted for green tea, I loved the color, but the name " Virtuous Moss " for tile almost pulled me in- I kept thinking about someone measuring the virtuousness of moss- is there a pcr kit for that? And I know it would make me laugh every time I see the tile. What does Unvirtuous Moss look like? :)

I chose the Cobblestone-grey color for the porch desk. The siding is grey so it's a better match, even though the tan decking has a fun name too.

I loved the driftwood in the chair railing choice, but I would rather see it used for a chair or settee. I think the traditional is a more practical but still lovely choice.

I would love to see the flat porch ceiling- painted a Carolina Blue. :)

I prefer the white blinds, I think a home looks better from the outside when all the window treatments that can be viewed from outside are white.

I voted for the free standing stove. I like the look of it more, even though it would take up more floor space. Is it wood burning or gas?

I thought the warming drawer was a nice touch, handy for preparing meals for a crowd, but I didn't know if it make the oven interior smaller.

One of these days I'll catch the building activity on the camera during the day, in the mean time thanks to everybody keeping up us up to date!!

Lia_M on February 28, 2013 at 8:11 pm
    • Un-virtuous moss would look dirty:p

Windsmurf on March 1, 2013 at 10:15 am
    • Yes, thank you! I was checking to see if any Carolina sports fans would insist on "other" shades of blue … :)

Lia_M on March 1, 2013 at 6:19 pm
    • Lia_M ….Carolina Blue is fine with me!! Been a UNC fan for a long time!!! Nothing could be finer..;)

Maria on March 1, 2013 at 9:32 pm
    • Too funny!!!!

Lia_M on March 1, 2013 at 6:19 pm
    • Did you know that the blue you see on the porch ceilings in the low country is actually called "Haint Blue"?

Bev on March 1, 2013 at 11:49 am
    • Opps- I meant to post this to you, Bev!
      Yes, thank you! I was checking to see if any Carolina sports fans would insist on "other" shades of blue … – :) :) :)

Lia_M on March 1, 2013 at 6:41 pm
  9. Thanks for the chance to vote on blog cabin 2013 features. As usual, my votes were half winners and half not.

dreamn_again on February 28, 2013 at 9:44 pm
  10. Luv it! Luv it!! Luv it!!!! How can anyone find fault with any of the choices? This cottage is going to be heaven.

sandiiowa on February 28, 2013 at 10:30 pm