Feb 28

People’s Choice: Vote for Main Living Area Features

People's Choice Blog Cabin 2013 Main Living Area

Today begins your opportunity to vote for appliances, door hardware, the fire element style and even porch decking. Vote now and invite friends to participate in the fun!

• Posted at 11:01 am on February 2, 2013

1. Yay! A new round of voting. I especially love the fireplace option…….I chose the built-in gas traditional fireplace.
    The crystal door knobs are nice too!

Summer on February 28, 2013 at 1:26 pm
  2. I love the new choices, it's really early on in the voting of course, but so far most of the things I voted for are ahead. The exceptions being the sand color for the porch floor – the house is grey, why not have the flooring grey too?; The vaulted ceiling for the porch – the flat ceiling would be easier to maintain/paint. Still a little time to infuence those by my votes, so I will keep voting.

Windsmurf on February 28, 2013 at 1:30 pm
    • Windsmurf…I agree with you on the porch floor color…it will match better with all exterior colors of the cabin..;)

Maria on February 28, 2013 at 6:34 pm
    • I agree, Windsmurf! From what I can tell, the sandstone color is going to stand out like a sore thumb against the siding and shingle colors, as well as the interior colors chosen so far! :S

Shelly313 on March 1, 2013 at 7:44 pm
  3. Verry good choices this time, Thank you!
    The only hard choice there was, was the Fire place or Cast Iron Stove! Although the Fire place looks so much better. The Cast Iron Stove makes for a good back up if the gas goes out when you need to cook. And the wood burning makes the house smell so muck better!!! :D And if you're in a natural disaster like a Hurricane and don't have power or gas. Witch one would you reather have????
    So it comes down to looks or practicality!

asandmancan on February 28, 2013 at 1:51 pm
    • I'm thinking, in a disaster, you may not have electricity, but you have your gas right there in your own propane tank, and would be able to use the gas stove…

karenlin91 on February 28, 2013 at 2:06 pm
    • After liveing in South Florida for 23 years. I've learned that even Propane goes quickly in a big disaster!!!

Speeking of Propane, I think it would be a good idea to have a Propane Generator attached to the house for back up. Or at least a place to put it with hookups ready to go!!!

asandmancan on February 28, 2013 at 3:08 pm
    • A Generator would be great! :D

JudyInMich on February 28, 2013 at 3:39 pm
    • I like the idea of the propane generator, wish we had one. But if the worst happens, BC will need to have the biggest propane tank, what – 500 gal? We have the 250 and it gets refilled each month during the cold season. My bills – yikes! And with a propane generator the propane would really go fast, but during those times, you conserve and you make do until the crisis is over.
      Good points, all.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on February 28, 2013 at 6:53 pm
    • I guess a lot would depend on the heating in the cabin, electric or gas. When I had the propane it was only for the stove, and hot water heater, so it lasted.

karenlin91 on March 1, 2013 at 8:52 am
    • …or oil…

Ishmael on March 2, 2013 at 4:56 am
    • That is an excellent idea!!

karenlin91 on February 28, 2013 at 10:10 pm
    • I wish I had read your comment before typing mine up above. I was thinking on the same lines. Thank you for writing it.

We spend time at a lodge that has the cast iron stove. I still like the look, but I'm also a practical person.

Trish on February 28, 2013 at 5:09 pm
    • I don't know if the stove is gas also or wood burning they do not specify but I assumed it was gas so I chose the fireplace.

zulumom on March 1, 2013 at 5:20 am
    • I think that is there determining factor. Gas or Wood. Just like the Kitchen Stove, Gas or Electric!!!

( P.S. ~ I really wish they hade a Spell Check on thes things!!!!!! ) =/

asandmancan on March 1, 2013 at 12:37 pm
    • Aww… Most of us make spelling and grammatical mistakes on the blog, Asandmancan, and even spellcheckers such as the one I have with MS2010 is so full of major spelling and grammar errors, I don't trust IT, if I know I need something to go out "perfect" somewhere. Many of us know that you haven't been here in the United States for that long and you've more recently lived with some of your Greek side of family. It's a switch coming back and getting used to English again! We're not spelling police and for sure, the word police in Admin seems to be policing a special list of odd choice words. Hey, I got blipped for using the word Sho__es again, last night! You are intelligent, you have good ideas and you are in the building industry and can help us, especially when it comes to questions about electrical stuff. Hang in there man! You are a great Bloggie! :D B);) Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on March 1, 2013 at 9:16 pm
    • Thank you Mrs Kitty. I know I count on you for a confidence buster!!! <3 B)

asandmancan on March 1, 2013 at 10:49 pm
  4. I see from the Cabin Cam that spring has sprung. The Daffodils are in full bloom under the oak tree.

kcdigger on February 28, 2013 at 4:01 pm
  5. Hi Bloggers, it is exciting to have the new round of votes and I love the choices. I voted for the flat ceiling for two reasons 1st if I wanted to add lighting all wires are hidden and 2nd If I wanted to put a porch swing facing the water I could reinforce the ceiling joist, to carry the weight and the bigger beam would not be seen. To be perfectly honest, I would be happy with any of the choices because I could always change anything I wish to. Just happy to have the opportunity to vote and be involved in the BC cabin.

Jimbo on February 28, 2013 at 4:36 pm
    • Excellent suggestions!! I hadn't thought about hiding wires for lighting and maybe a fan. Id be happy with it either way too!

Lia_M on February 28, 2013 at 8:23 pm
  6. WHY??? would people vote for sand color for flooring outside when the whole outside of house is black and grey

harlotte on February 28, 2013 at 5:05 pm
    • Because grey and grey and more grey might be boring. Sand should make a nice soft contrast, I saw a room in sand and greys that Candice did and it worked.

zulumom on February 28, 2013 at 6:14 pm
    • I initially was thinking the gray floor would match better. This cottage though is at the beach. The sand color floor would hide the sand drag on it from the dock and beach. Alsothe sand floor transitions better to the ground and to the floor inside of the house.

Barbara/Virginia on February 28, 2013 at 10:33 pm
    • I agree Barbara. I have spent most of my life working in the design industry and the two neutrals (grey and beige) work very well together. Actually together they are part of the classic "beachy" pallet which also can include aqua blues, cobalt blues and sea to lime greens.

SID on March 1, 2013 at 4:32 pm
    • I don't understand why it was even a choice, what are the designers thinking.

flashy on March 1, 2013 at 9:28 am
    • Obviously some differences in personal taste here and I sense some frustration in some of the comments. Though I can't always understand or agree with the reasons behind some of the other bloggers preferences, that doesn't mean that they are wrong. I figured out long ago that I don't have a monopoly of being right! Personally, I prefer the grey but that certainly does not negate the validity of others' aesthetic taste. And so it goes…..

RLD on March 1, 2013 at 11:32 am
    • My question exactly!

Bev on March 1, 2013 at 11:40 am
    • I voted for the other flooring…my thoughts were the same as yours!

TishaStanley on March 2, 2013 at 9:56 pm
  7. Did anyone see the daffodils growing amongst the trees? Ahhh, spring is in the air!

The choices are tough! I have my own preferences, as everyone does, and am sure it will be as lovely as can be! I would like to see them keep most of the character of the home as it was through out history, for 2 reasons, 1 old glory and charm, and 2, for the family that has owned it through the generations. (It holds many treasured memories for them and am sure they would like to be able to drive by and see some recogniton of their old family home.) I love the stump foundation idea as a coffee table-you all are so thoughtful!^_^

amberPA on February 28, 2013 at 5:06 pm
    • They've been blooming for about 3 weeks now. They're beautiful & so invoke spring. Unlike our MI weather this week.:(

AnniesOwn on February 28, 2013 at 5:30 pm
    • Same here! We had snow storms all day. It has stopped for now, but is looking pretty gray! Spring will be here before you know it and am sure looking forward to it! Have a great eve.B) and dream of warm summer days by the water! he-hee!

amberPA on February 28, 2013 at 5:47 pm
    • It also lookes like some red growth in the tree area.:D
      I'm thinking hurry up and get here already,brrrrrr

This place has certainly come along. They had so much rain lately. Can't wait for the completion.

MaryPA on March 1, 2013 at 5:41 pm
    • I missed the red growth, I'll have to go check it out! Am hoping for crepe mrytles around the property since we cannot grow them here. It would be beauty added to beauty!

amberPA on March 2, 2013 at 12:01 pm
  8. Wow–impressed with the amount of work done on Blog Cabin! Good Job Worker Bees!

grswla on February 28, 2013 at 5:35 pm
  9. Thanks for the opportunity to participate! I wish the Blog Cabin crew would give a little info on pros/cons of the options they let us vote on. For example, for the porch roof, is there any data on which design is most resistant to hurricane-force winds? Why not use lever-style interior door knobs that are easier for handicapped/elderly to operate?

Ben on February 28, 2013 at 6:27 pm
    • We have lever style handles on the doors at work- and I have more bruises on my arms than you could believe. I'm guessing the porch roof does have to meet code for hurricane winds, but it's just a guess.

Lia_M on February 28, 2013 at 8:27 pm
    • Because the crystal doorknobs are beautiful and go with the history of the house?

karenlin91 on February 28, 2013 at 10:12 pm
    • Wouldn't white porcelain knobs be more in keeping with the house and history?

Ishmael on February 28, 2013 at 10:43 pm
    • I guess I was right…looking at the original house pictures, most of the original knobs were white, a few were dull brass. All were round – not an eggy one in the house.

Ishmael on February 28, 2013 at 11:07 pm
    • The crystal is still beautiful and shiny lol….I just love them ;-)

karenlin91 on March 1, 2013 at 9:27 am
    • That was not one of the options, so the crystal is the better of the two offered.

Windsmurf on March 1, 2013 at 9:46 am
    • I love lever handle door knobs but this cottage is supposed to recreate history so the style of door knob choices is most appropriate. Keeping in mind the arthritic person, I didn't choose the egg shape because that is the worst type.

Barbara/Virginia on February 28, 2013 at 10:35 pm
    • Hi Ben — just keep reading the blogger posts and the pros and cons will be noted! Much good thinking and well stated comments (and sometimes research by bloggers) are helpful to all in the vote-decision-making process! :-)

Karen_NEOH on March 1, 2013 at 12:08 am
    • Excellent suggestions, Ben.

It's a bother to change things out; however, knowing the professionalism of DIY, if a winner had the needs you suggest, I'm sure this would be done for the winner of the home.

Wishing you a wonderful spring!

Trish on March 1, 2013 at 10:21 am
    • I have the same thoughts about the porch ceiling design and resistance to wind. We have occasional strong winds were we live and have a flat porch ceiling….that I've had to repair several times due to the wind "sucking" ceiling panels down. So…as much as i'd like a traditional(?) light blue flat Carolina porch ceiling, there may be structural advantages to the vaulted design….or….will strong winds catch up in the vaulted area and tear the whole thing off. Any builders or engineers out there who can answer this?

RLD on March 1, 2013 at 11:17 am
  10. I agree with harlotte, above, on the sand color for the porch deck. It so doesn't go with the ext. colors.
    Didn't like the front loading washer, BUT, I just read Clive's comments on it and I'll probably change my vote. Clive's, and others', arguements in favor of FL is very compelling.
    Re the powder room tile, is that for the walls or floor? I liked the moss, but green tea will do!
    I went with the driftwood railing and coffee table, I think the stumps will work better elsewhere and won't be so overpowering in the room if used for the table. Either way, I don't know how they'll get the "critters" out of either and I fear the disgusting little bugs, etc, in the stumps would have me nervous all the time. I'm sure there is some treatment for that – harmful pesticides and so forth.
    I'm voting for the free-standing stove, hope it's of the soapstone variety if that vote picks up.
    Anyway, I'm tickled there is a new vote, hope my comment registers this time. My computer comes and goes in that respect! I can often read comments, just can't always get mine to register.
    WCG

Wind Chime Girl on February 28, 2013 at 6:33 pm
    • I agree not crazy about stumps inside , I probably would move it to the outside porch. But I am keeping an open mind about it they might come up with such a good design that I fall in love with it.

zulumom on March 1, 2013 at 5:26 am
    • There are treatments for bugs in the wood, my husband works for a pest control company, and has treated antique furniture because it gets it's own kind of bugs…driftwood could have the same problem. I know in new construction out here, they can treat the area under the house for termites, before it's even been built..I don't know if that would even be a problem there, but does anyone know if they do that?

karenlin91 on March 1, 2013 at 9:02 am
    • Karen, I think the reason why they had to reframe was because of termite and erosion damage…definitely because of erosion, but don't quote me on the termite part! lol :D

All, as Karen said, there are treatments for bugs that are in the wood, and there are ways to do pest control without using harmful pesticides. I'm sure the DIY Team would not offer this as a choice if it was going to be a bad problem for the future owner, or require the use of harmful chemicals. I'm guessing they will do a safe treatment! Can't wait to see what they come up with! :)

Shelly313 on March 1, 2013 at 7:56 pm