Feb 26

Guest Bedroom Design Inspiration

As part of the People’s Choice Round Four vote, we’ve included three potential designs for the guest bedroom. Style boards, created by our friends at Good Housekeeping magazine, express the beach lifestyle in three singular — and sensational — ways.

The process of creating design themes began with contributing stylist Frances Bailey, who scoured her favorite design magazines, blogs and books for inspiration before spreading photos and clippings out on the floor of her New York City apartment. Frances also drew from her love of North Carolina’s Crystal Coast, a beach location that three generations of her family members have called their summer home. “It’s such a special part of the world,” she says.

Frances worked with Good Housekeeping editor in chief Rosemary Ellis and executive editor Janet Siroto over a period of several weeks to refine her designs before final presentation to the team at DIY Network. “This is such a joyful process — being able to dream,” says Frances. “And being able to be creative and throw a lot of pasta on the ceiling, see what sticks and see what the people want it to be. I’m fascinated to see how it works out.”

Nantucket-Style Guest Bedroom
Nantucket Charm, a gender-neutral scheme Frances describes as “classic beach” and “all-American,” is ideally suited for guest bedrooms. “There’s something about this style that isn’t girlie. A guy would feel comfortable in this room as well,” she says. Avoiding anything too gimmicky or trendy, Frances looked instead to the home’s own turn-of-the-century architecture and coastal location for inspiration.

Citrus-Inspired Guest Bedroom
A bowl of citrus fruits, placed atop a crisp white countertop, inspired Frances’ vision for the Bold and Beach-y design theme. “It’s just a super happy design,” says the stylist, who was also drawn to the aesthetic of Jonathan Alder and Trina Turk when creating this specific look. “It would be a wonderful place to spend a weekend if you were a guest,” she says of a bedroom decked in this theme’s collection of colors and furnishings.

Reclaimed Furnishings Guest Bedroom
More than once during her brainstorming sessions, Frances spied photos of old oars and paddles, upcycled in unique ways. Weathered paddles reclaimed as a headboard became the stylist’s lightbulb moment. “I just thought that was genius,” she says. Her brainchild, Recycled Chic, presents reclaimed items in a cool, chic way, set against a soothing, sea glass-inspired color palette. “This theme is a little bit more DIY, but it’s also charming and fun and in the spirit of this house,” she says.

The Good Housekeeping staff is joining in the fun of the People’s Choice program, casting votes and keeping fingers crossed for their own particular favorites. “The one I am most drawn to is the bright Bold and Beach-y,” says Janet Siroto. “In part I think I like how happy the colors are. And I think a guest room is a place to take a risk when using bright, saturated colors like that.” Frances, too, is drawn to the citrus-inspired theme for its fun mix of hues, but admits that New York City’s cold and grey weather conditions of late may be informing her decision. “I am excited to see what fans choose,” she says. “I think that’s really refreshing and fun – throwing out the ‘best of the best’ ideas and letting readers make the final decision. As a designer, I would be super happy to execute any one of these.”

• Posted at 11:21 am on February 2, 2013

1. Good Morning to all, It's a Beautiful day at the Cottage, the Guys are busy finishing up the Siding on the second floor…I'm so Pleased with the Siding…OK …I know I wasn't going to say anything else about the Shingles BUT, seeing the shingles on, My thoughts just overrides my promise!!! Sorry, I think the Shingles are too dark and I'm so disappointed they didn't choose a lighter shingle, but it is what it is and who ever wins this Beautiful place will not complain about the dark color I'm sure, until they start getting High Electric Bills in the Summer time…Maybe the roof will fade to a Washed Gray in time due to the area. That will look better and also help with the heat situation during the summer!
    I was checking out the French doors on line and the installers are saying that the first floor F/D should open to Inside due to Security Reasons.They also install a Pin in the door for security…True, the glass can be broken if someone Really wants to get in but a door that opens in is more secure than opening out…When one is answering the door and you open out, the person can jerk the door out of your hand but it it opens in, they would have to step in and you could shut the door before they enter..They said second floor French doors usually open out and can have a deadbolt for security…Just something to think about..I noticed the French doors Do open out on the first floor and the Foyer door opens in..Don't know what kind of door they are going to use for the Mud room, it's still boarded up!!!! It's better to be safe than sorry, I always say… Just some of My Thoughts this Morning!!!
    I can't wait to see what we have to vote on for the Living Room area!!! Maybe they are up now..got to go! Have a Good Day Everyone!!!!

Jennie/Florida on February 28, 2013 at 11:22 am
    • Thank you to the Blogger who gave me thumbs down!!!

Jennie/Florida on March 1, 2013 at 12:59 am
    • OK , I'm puzzled as to why 2 Bloggers have given me thumbs down. Please come forward and explain to me why you are unhappy with my comments..Giving me a thumbs down doesn't help if you don't explain why you disagree with what I said…Please, I can take criticism and would like to hear what you have to say…
      We are all adults here on the BC Blog and I have made many Blogging friends..I think and I am the biggest fan of Blog Cabin and have been since 2007 and I have to say this is the first time I have ever encountered a response like this without a comment…Please bring it forward and explain….

Jennie/Florida on March 2, 2013 at 12:00 pm
  2. I finally can view the cam and I see they have put some of the siding on the top portion of the house. DIY Teams, you have done an amazing job guys!!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the new peoples choice options. Oh my goodness they are amazing!!! I love ALL of them. The glass door knobs are my favorite! They remind me of my Granny!!! I miss her so much. What an AWESOME choice! I can't wait to see when they air the episodes! Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on February 28, 2013 at 12:18 pm
    • I totally agree Rebecca!

JudyInMich on February 28, 2013 at 12:53 pm
  3. I have just been reading the comments about the soil. I am not a specialist, but that area is sandy soil. There is probably no clay at all. The decaying plants creat a bog=like decay that can burn. There was a fire up at Stumpy Point for quite awhile about a year or so ago – it affected vacationers many miles out on the barrier island. I have seen water lay on sandy ground for several days after a rain. The final slope of the land will be very important. By the way, I see a drainage ditch toward the water and another back off the northwest corner of the house. I am hoping that the water frontage area includes large rocks like the neighbor. That should help protect the property and slow the water so it can drain before getting too close to the house.

Larree on March 1, 2013 at 6:23 pm
  4. It is great being able to have so many choices. have been reading the information about the stoves, washer ect. It helps me choose what I think would be the beat for the cabin. Lots of fun. Thanks. Again, asking for HELP ! why do my comments come out with a "thumbs down". Would appreciate any help. I am not very good on the computer.

Nan on March 1, 2013 at 8:19 pm
  5. I like the neuter-general look. It saves from pitting men into girlie looking rooms and women into manly rooms. Makes decorating just as simple too.

Kathy on March 1, 2013 at 8:32 pm
  6. Just been watching progression and voting and it interesting. I know the area as I use to vacation in New Bern when lived in upstate N.Y. so it nice to see again. Love the area and the water, think the ideas are good and enjoy how people have voted on different aspects of this blog cabin. I myself like to put as much of the areas natural things (driftwood, original stumps, etc.) in the designs. Keep up the good work.

margaret on March 1, 2013 at 8:48 pm
  7. The only thing I dont understand is when they do these houses why they insist on so few rooms. Does no one that sees the floor plan have more than 1 or 2 kids, and no fmaily to visit.

jennifer on March 9, 2013 at 2:49 pm
  8. These designs are creative and inspirational, I like your idea for designing the bedroom for guest , how beautifully you have add more beauty to these designs .
    Landscape architect brisbane

Patio on March 16, 2013 at 8:36 am
  9. I love the recycled chic design, but it could use some additional soft color…perhaps greens…You might also want to include some recycled glass somewhere.

Leslie/CT on March 16, 2013 at 11:36 am
  10. how many bedroom do it got? i like what i see and i hope to try to win it and if not that o.k. i need to fix up my mobile home and try to had a old house behind me take down. it very old. thank you wanda

wanda jo box on March 17, 2013 at 7:20 am