Feb 26

Guest Bedroom Design Inspiration

As part of the People’s Choice Round Four vote, we’ve included three potential designs for the guest bedroom. Style boards, created by our friends at Good Housekeeping magazine, express the beach lifestyle in three singular — and sensational — ways.

The process of creating design themes began with contributing stylist Frances Bailey, who scoured her favorite design magazines, blogs and books for inspiration before spreading photos and clippings out on the floor of her New York City apartment. Frances also drew from her love of North Carolina’s Crystal Coast, a beach location that three generations of her family members have called their summer home. “It’s such a special part of the world,” she says.

Frances worked with Good Housekeeping editor in chief Rosemary Ellis and executive editor Janet Siroto over a period of several weeks to refine her designs before final presentation to the team at DIY Network. “This is such a joyful process — being able to dream,” says Frances. “And being able to be creative and throw a lot of pasta on the ceiling, see what sticks and see what the people want it to be. I’m fascinated to see how it works out.”

Nantucket-Style Guest Bedroom
Nantucket Charm, a gender-neutral scheme Frances describes as “classic beach” and “all-American,” is ideally suited for guest bedrooms. “There’s something about this style that isn’t girlie. A guy would feel comfortable in this room as well,” she says. Avoiding anything too gimmicky or trendy, Frances looked instead to the home’s own turn-of-the-century architecture and coastal location for inspiration.

Citrus-Inspired Guest Bedroom
A bowl of citrus fruits, placed atop a crisp white countertop, inspired Frances’ vision for the Bold and Beach-y design theme. “It’s just a super happy design,” says the stylist, who was also drawn to the aesthetic of Jonathan Alder and Trina Turk when creating this specific look. “It would be a wonderful place to spend a weekend if you were a guest,” she says of a bedroom decked in this theme’s collection of colors and furnishings.

Reclaimed Furnishings Guest Bedroom
More than once during her brainstorming sessions, Frances spied photos of old oars and paddles, upcycled in unique ways. Weathered paddles reclaimed as a headboard became the stylist’s lightbulb moment. “I just thought that was genius,” she says. Her brainchild, Recycled Chic, presents reclaimed items in a cool, chic way, set against a soothing, sea glass-inspired color palette. “This theme is a little bit more DIY, but it’s also charming and fun and in the spirit of this house,” she says.

The Good Housekeeping staff is joining in the fun of the People’s Choice program, casting votes and keeping fingers crossed for their own particular favorites. “The one I am most drawn to is the bright Bold and Beach-y,” says Janet Siroto. “In part I think I like how happy the colors are. And I think a guest room is a place to take a risk when using bright, saturated colors like that.” Frances, too, is drawn to the citrus-inspired theme for its fun mix of hues, but admits that New York City’s cold and grey weather conditions of late may be informing her decision. “I am excited to see what fans choose,” she says. “I think that’s really refreshing and fun – throwing out the ‘best of the best’ ideas and letting readers make the final decision. As a designer, I would be super happy to execute any one of these.”

• Posted at 11:21 am on February 2, 2013

1. To Frances Bailey: GREAT JOB on your three design themes, they are all so lovely and would be beautiful in any home!!! I was drawn to all three, but ended up choosing Recycled Chic because I love the idea of reusing items and creating unique pieces, for example the weathered paddles as a headboard, which I love! My second choice was the Beach-y theme; in particular, I love the colors, the baskets and the desk. Maybe you can mix these up a bit to give the lucky recipient the best of both worlds? ;) :) I love the Nantucket Charm too, but thought a softer look would fit more nicely in this particular home. You are obviously the right designer for this project! :D

Shelly313 on February 27, 2013 at 12:55 pm
  2. Clive, Jennie, and all: I have been wondering about the apparent drainage problem as well, but also know all the traffic definitely does not help the current appearance. Clive, thank you for all the info on the clay ground, and sorry you have had to learn such a costly lesson over it. Given that they did raise this home, I'm sure DIY will take all that into consideration to prevent the same kind of problem from happening here.

In addition to Clive's insight, I figure there is often some standing water following the rains (based on observation of the grounds further from the traffic area when I pan towards the water view). I wonder if the Yard Crashers would consider (or how everyone on the Blog would feel about) incorporating this idea into the yard design: install a ground-level Board Walk from the porch steps leading to the 'ditch', add a mini bridge (or keep flat and add dock-style wooden railings) on both sides over this area, and then continue the Board Walk to the dock? Not only would it lend to the beachy feel of the setting, but also give a dry path to the dock on wet days.

Shelly313 on February 27, 2013 at 1:20 pm
    • I like it! It could be incorporated with the landscaping, and maybe help contain some of the mud, from being tracked into the house….I like the french drain too…..They can look really, really cool..maybe french drain down one side of the boardwalk, with plants and rocks?

karenlin91 on February 27, 2013 at 3:29 pm
    • It is a very good idea, Karen! As I told Vicki, I had heard of French Drains, but I had to Google to remember what they looked like haha! I like the idea of covering it with crushed shells or gravel, but it could also just be hidden under the boardwalk, leaving the rest of the yard open, simple and beautiful! I really hope Yard Crashers will see this idea for both the boardwalk and french drain, and take them into consideration! ;) :)^_^<3

Shelly313 on February 28, 2013 at 4:03 am
  3. It is amazing how quickly you work. The beachy chic design is great. Colors so far are lovely.

Karen in Calif on February 27, 2013 at 4:10 pm
  4. Hi guys! Been at doctors appointments all day. I got a chance to look at the cam. Looks like they have got a lot done on the roof today! woohoooo Looks like they are moving right along. I really like all of the designs. It doesn't really matter to me which one wins. It doesn't really take much for me to be happy. Some pain killers, a glass of ice tea, sit on the front porch and look out at the water during the sunset! What could else could an old woman want?? haha Sounds like paradise to me!!! Colors and patterns don't matter, the true beauty is having your own little paradise on the beach!! Now that is living!! Much Love!! <3<3<3

Rebecca on February 27, 2013 at 6:12 pm
    • Rebecca, hope you are doing well. Your words are so uplifting and fun! I always enjoy reading your blogs and descriptions of the action at the cabin. Take care and best wishes!! Dona

dona on February 27, 2013 at 6:31 pm
    • Thanks Dona! Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on February 28, 2013 at 10:46 am
    • Hope all is well. Was wondering where you were. Are you doing OK?
      Judy

JudyInMich on February 27, 2013 at 7:43 pm
    • Hi Judy, I am ok, thanks for asking. How about you and your hubby? The house is starting to really take shape. The cam wasn't working for me earlier when I was trying to see how things were coming along. I hate when that happens. haha Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on February 28, 2013 at 10:49 am
    • Rebecca, Glad your back ay home and able to rest. Day long appointments are tiring. I hope tomorrow is a better day for you. Becky:)<3

bythebaydreamer on February 27, 2013 at 9:06 pm
    • Thanks Becky, I am ok but yes it does make for a long and miserable day going from place to place. How are you? I love the color of the house. It makes it so warm looking. What do you think? The cam was acting up so I couldn't see this morning when I looked. Guess it will work for me later. Probably too many people on it at once and it is over loaded. Who knows. How are you doing today? Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on February 28, 2013 at 10:52 am
    • HI Rebecca, I wondered where you were this morning. I missed your cherry good morning… I will be gone until Saturday, we are going to try and get up to our cabin. So If you don't hear from me for a few days, we made it LOL.

vicki_in_Utah on February 27, 2013 at 11:50 pm
    • Vicki, How far away is your cabin? Have a wonderful time! Becky :) <3

bythebaydreamer on February 28, 2013 at 1:27 am
    • Hi Becky our little rustic cabin is only 60 miles from us but the last 14 miles is a rough dirt road and it is 7,000 ft. So I am hoping the snow isn't too bad and the roof didn't cave in. But it has been ok for the past 13 years. The BC's have given us lots of ideas.

vicki_in_Utah on February 28, 2013 at 9:10 am
    • Have a wonderful time making memories! Becky:)<3

bythebaydreamer on February 28, 2013 at 5:53 pm
    • Well I hope you have a great time and enjoy yourself. Drive safe! Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on February 28, 2013 at 10:53 am
    • Have a wonderful time Vicki! I hope you enjoy yourself. Drive Safe!! Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on February 28, 2013 at 10:54 am
  5. I got in here for a few minutes earlier, just in time to catch my first view of BC's sunset. Seems I was a few minutes late for the really spectacular view it probably was. I posted a reply to my query.
    When I came back just now, my reply was nowhere to be seen.
    I did my dutiful voting and the results won't be changed.
    I look forward to the new voting tomorrow and I hope I won't be so off on the majority of the voting, again!
    Good voting and good luck to everyone!
    Rebecca, I'm glad to see you back here. Better living through modern chemistry and a cup of hot tea!
    OMG, the moon is rising over the hill to the east of us. WOW!
    Got to go.
    WCG

Wind Chime Girl on February 27, 2013 at 10:55 pm
  6. Thanks Vicki! I had heard about French Drains before but didn't recall what they were, so I had to Google it…lol! I think that could work well to solve the standing water problem, and can probably even be hidden under the boardwalk, leaving the rest of the yard open and beautiful! Great idea! :) ^_^

Shelly313 on February 28, 2013 at 3:59 am
  7. I also voted for the recycled chic. I would really like to see 2 pyramid bunks on the back wall foot to foot. It could sleep a lot of guests (adult or children) be made of recycled lumber and would it not be so much fun to have this bunk room to chat and fall asleep like when you were a kid at a sleepover and wake up to beach activities and such.

zulumom on February 28, 2013 at 6:00 am
  8. I love the coastal colors chosen 4 the cabin. I chose the polaris tiling because the accents pieces picked up the colors that appear in the abalone mirror, their like the colors of the rainbow done very lightly. the color doesn't hit U immediately. They R very similiar 2 the original colors in the home. Alas, I waqs out voted. I really can't wait 2 C the cabin completed. I believe the architectral designs do the the previous cabin & owners justice. It seems the workers have been working thru very bad weather due 2 the winter store that have been passing from mid southern west 2 east. I applaud U all. N. Lugo.

Nilsa Lugo on February 28, 2013 at 6:35 am
  9. I like the recycled but I hope they put back some of the old elements from the old cottage. It's is raining lightly her in Waterville, ME. To bad it's not snow, if you have to have winter it might as well snow! I would much rather be in the sun. Looks like a great day at the cottage and it's looking wonderful,keep up the great jod DIY guys & gals. Have a good day! WE-Z :)

WE-Z on February 28, 2013 at 9:20 am
  10. Good morning guys! Hope everyone is well this morning. I have not been able to look on the cam this morning it is not working for me. I think it is overloaded with everyone on at once. I will check back a little later. This happens every once in a while when I try to look. Then I go back later and it is fine. I can not say how much I love the color of the BC! It looks so warm and welcoming! I think everyone did I wonderful job choosing that one!! Congrats guys!!! I have to go do my voting and hopefully will be able to view the cam. Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on February 28, 2013 at 10:59 am
    • Morning Rebecca! Have you checked out the new voting choices yet? They have some good ones. :D Judy

JudyInMich on February 28, 2013 at 11:26 am
    • Oh my goodness! Yes I was just voting and they are really nice choices!!! DIY Designers have really done a nice job selecting things for us to vote on! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the glass door knobs. That really reminds me of Granny!! I miss her so much. Wonder if you could get the old skeleton keys too! haha Everything that I picked is winning so far but like I said all of the choices are amazing and which ever wins will be awesome! Have I said "I want this" lately??? haha I get so excited each time they open up another people's choice option. I know some may think I am crazy when it comes to my excitement but honestly this is the most fun I have had in a long time. Seriously, that tells you what kind of boring life I have huh??? haha Who ever wins this I hope that they will be able to live there instead of selling it! It is just such a beautiful home. haha Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on February 28, 2013 at 11:57 am
    • LOL!! Love your enthusiasm! I too remember glass doorknobs. I had to polish them when I was little and a naughty girl. :D It was either that or clean the windowsills. ;) Judy

JudyInMich on February 28, 2013 at 12:57 pm
    • Well I would have to go pick a switch off the tree when I was naughty! haha I would have rather had to polish door knobs! You know I have also seen those glass knobs not back in the day but now in like a purple tented color. They were sooo pretty as well. Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on February 28, 2013 at 1:44 pm