Feb 26

Guest Bedroom Design Inspiration

As part of the People’s Choice Round Four vote, we’ve included three potential designs for the guest bedroom. Style boards, created by our friends at Good Housekeeping magazine, express the beach lifestyle in three singular — and sensational — ways.

The process of creating design themes began with contributing stylist Frances Bailey, who scoured her favorite design magazines, blogs and books for inspiration before spreading photos and clippings out on the floor of her New York City apartment. Frances also drew from her love of North Carolina’s Crystal Coast, a beach location that three generations of her family members have called their summer home. “It’s such a special part of the world,” she says.

Frances worked with Good Housekeeping editor in chief Rosemary Ellis and executive editor Janet Siroto over a period of several weeks to refine her designs before final presentation to the team at DIY Network. “This is such a joyful process — being able to dream,” says Frances. “And being able to be creative and throw a lot of pasta on the ceiling, see what sticks and see what the people want it to be. I’m fascinated to see how it works out.”

Nantucket-Style Guest Bedroom
Nantucket Charm, a gender-neutral scheme Frances describes as “classic beach” and “all-American,” is ideally suited for guest bedrooms. “There’s something about this style that isn’t girlie. A guy would feel comfortable in this room as well,” she says. Avoiding anything too gimmicky or trendy, Frances looked instead to the home’s own turn-of-the-century architecture and coastal location for inspiration.

Citrus-Inspired Guest Bedroom
A bowl of citrus fruits, placed atop a crisp white countertop, inspired Frances’ vision for the Bold and Beach-y design theme. “It’s just a super happy design,” says the stylist, who was also drawn to the aesthetic of Jonathan Alder and Trina Turk when creating this specific look. “It would be a wonderful place to spend a weekend if you were a guest,” she says of a bedroom decked in this theme’s collection of colors and furnishings.

Reclaimed Furnishings Guest Bedroom
More than once during her brainstorming sessions, Frances spied photos of old oars and paddles, upcycled in unique ways. Weathered paddles reclaimed as a headboard became the stylist’s lightbulb moment. “I just thought that was genius,” she says. Her brainchild, Recycled Chic, presents reclaimed items in a cool, chic way, set against a soothing, sea glass-inspired color palette. “This theme is a little bit more DIY, but it’s also charming and fun and in the spirit of this house,” she says.

The Good Housekeeping staff is joining in the fun of the People’s Choice program, casting votes and keeping fingers crossed for their own particular favorites. “The one I am most drawn to is the bright Bold and Beach-y,” says Janet Siroto. “In part I think I like how happy the colors are. And I think a guest room is a place to take a risk when using bright, saturated colors like that.” Frances, too, is drawn to the citrus-inspired theme for its fun mix of hues, but admits that New York City’s cold and grey weather conditions of late may be informing her decision. “I am excited to see what fans choose,” she says. “I think that’s really refreshing and fun – throwing out the ‘best of the best’ ideas and letting readers make the final decision. As a designer, I would be super happy to execute any one of these.”

• Posted at 11:21 am on February 2, 2013

1. I was away a day, came back and found this new thread. I'm confused with it, are they referring to the family room vote or the next vote?
    I'm also confused about the "Nantucket Charm" some of you have raved about. I checked my atlas, again, and found there is a lot of ground and water between Nantucket Island and BC. I'm familiar with coastal colors along the far southern Texas coast – i.e. bright outer mixed colors. But I was under the impression that interior colors were more pastel and muted – sea glass colors.
    So, I'm asking – do the Nantucket colors of Mass. filter down to the Carolinas?
    And I had no idea the folks at Good Housekeeping were helping us vote.
    I missed seeing "bog" cabin today. So, I guess I'll go finish my useless voting for the evening and look forward to the new "people's choice" vote.
    WCG

Wind Chime Girl on February 26, 2013 at 9:33 pm
    • The patriotic colors of red white and blue fit in very well with the colonial beginnings of the Carolina coast. Also, Colonial Williamsburg is not that far away and has a great examples of colonial decor for the mid-Atlantic coast.

Grammagail on February 27, 2013 at 9:59 am
    • Historically, what one has mainly seen in a true NC coastal cottage that's been around for years in this area are the more muted, natural shades of blues, greens, pale yellows, weathered grays and tans, and sand colors…mainly colors like we saw in the original cottage before reconstruction. That's because this has been a working fishing industry community and properties have been "weathered" over the years with hurricanes, winds, heat, etc. The working resident's homes are usually small cottage-style homes, not the big luxury beach homes that have cropped up up and down the NC coast line…and sometimes fall into the sea with hurricane erosion. And Atlantic is a small residential community where most folks are life-long residents.

Bev on February 27, 2013 at 11:39 am
    • Yes, Bev, thank you. The bright outer colors of the coastal "shacks" I've seen are all weathered and have faded into beautiful pastels. They all look like Easter eggs and I've always loved their colors: Bright when newly painted, then fading quickly to muted tones.
      Grammagail, I get the patriotic colors, and I now understand why some of our voters are leaning in that direction.
      Hence, I don't understand the voters' choice of the grays for the exterior of BC. I didn't get here in time to have a vote there. I suppose it's because all colors fade to gray eventually. It happened to my retirement cabin as well. I kept seeing it as a pale green, visitors saw it as GRAY, much to my dismay.
      I appreciate your responses. It helps me get a grip on voters' choices. Thanks so much.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on February 27, 2013 at 7:13 pm
    • Okay, here we go again with my reply not there:
      Bev, thanks, because I didn't think I was wrong in my muted pastel thinking. I won't go into detail in case my reply shows up hours later from now.
      And Grammagail, I understand your opinion, as well.
      Thanks to you both,
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on February 27, 2013 at 10:44 pm
  2. The closer I read this blog starter, the more I think it was meant for the beginning of the 3rd round master suite vote. I haven't had even a glass of wine tonight, but I am soooo confused with this thread.
    Someone clarify, please?
    WCG

Wind Chime Girl on February 26, 2013 at 9:46 pm
    • okay, maybe one glass, what I meant was the 4th round family room vote. Of this I'm certain. This sounds like a delayed entry-response. Does that make any sense at all?
      Sounds like someone is trying to justify the voting? Like us blogger voters explain our votes?
      Okay, anyone?
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on February 26, 2013 at 10:10 pm
    • Hi Wind Chime Girl! This thread is all about the inspiration for the design choices we got to vote for the Guest Bedroom, and who came up with them: Good Housekeeping's contributing stylist Frances Bailey, along with Good Housekeeping editor in chief Rosemary Ellis and executive editor Janet Siroto. Hope this helps clarify! :)

Shelly313 on February 28, 2013 at 3:48 am
  3. These are lovely Bedroom Accessories. The pictures of the pillows is really great for a good night sleep. Thanks for posting.

BestekLoza on February 27, 2013 at 1:33 am
  4. Good Morning All! Hope everyone is OK and has power etc. This storm has been fun. Really heavy and wet snow here in MI. And appears a second round of it is coming today. Just finished my voting and going to check the cabin cam. Recycled Chic is the one I have been voting for because, like others, I would like to see them incorporate some of the items from the old cabin. :D Judy

JudyInMich on February 27, 2013 at 8:46 am
  5. Snow is gently falling to the ground here in southern Maine. We already had over two feet on the ground, and in my opinion I don't want anymore. I like the 52 degrees this morning at the blog cabin. There is already someone there working. A great day is beginning! Becky^_^<3

bythebaydreamer on February 27, 2013 at 9:03 am
    • Morning Becky! Looks as though they are doing most of the work around on the street side. =/ I really wish there was a cam around there. And inside too. :D Judy

JudyInMich on February 27, 2013 at 9:19 am
    • My daughter moved to southern Maine a few years ago and was disappointed with the lack of massive snows; she is happy this year – because she has 2 young boys and it works to wear them out.;)

Windsmurf on February 27, 2013 at 9:34 am
    • It has just now settled in to snowing where we are in Maine. We are on the line between 6-8inches and 8-12inches so it looks like 8" or more for us. What amazed us was how the last two days erased half of what had fallen last storm on Sunday. The sun is higher and the temps warmer so the melt off is faster…there is hope for spring on the horizen. The last of winter is such a drag!

Grammagail on February 27, 2013 at 9:50 am
    • Now comes the mud season

Windsmurf on February 27, 2013 at 10:34 am
    • Spring is getting closer, and the days longer which has been great. The robins have even returned! It would be long and the trees will be budding. It will be great to see some of the greenery around the blog cabin grow. Once Yard Crashers are "doing their magic" the yard around the blog cabin will be as beautiful as the blog cabin. Becky:)<3

bythebaydreamer on February 27, 2013 at 10:31 am
    • Hi Becky I only see a Van this morning no trucks. It looks so bright and nice there today. If it stays nice all day maybe they can finish up the siding on the 2nd floor.

vicki_in_Utah on February 27, 2013 at 10:33 am
  6. I personally like the Nantucket charm I love the light blues with a mix of white and silver my bedroom all ready has that theme so I would like to extend it through out it would be so nice but blue doesn't mean it can't be girlie

pixelecho69 on February 27, 2013 at 9:10 am
    • The color blue can be girlie but I don't think they were taking it in that design direction. Even though blue is my favorite color, it didn't come across as relaxing to me. But then, that's why they have so many choices because we all feel differently – and that's okay.

Hazelnut Deb on February 27, 2013 at 10:35 am
  7. Nice overview of ideas and glimpse of the process! Also very nice to have Francis Bailey posting on the blog! It gives us a feeling of inclusion in the planning stages.

Grammagail on February 27, 2013 at 9:45 am
  8. I also like the the Recycled Chic, but I'm not fond of big pictures of fish and old oars. I guess what I really liked was the feel of the interior of the cabin prior to renovation. I am not fond of shabby and scratched up furniture, but a beachy chic along with the recycled chic and a bit of vintage is what I would like to see, just not fish and old oars. I know, I know we are all different.

Linda on February 27, 2013 at 10:18 am
    • I voted for the recycled chic also because I felt it would go best with the antiques they already had. I did not like the whale picture. I felt like we were voting on a style and not those exact elements but I have been wrong many times before.

Hazelnut Deb on February 27, 2013 at 10:37 am
    • I agree with you and I love your user name!! :)

Lia_M on February 27, 2013 at 7:18 pm
    • Hi Linda, I totally agree with you!!! The Recycled Chic is the closet to the design I would like in the Cottage, I don't care for scratched up furniture or fish thing, not really crazy about the oars..I would like for the Original furniture to be returned to the cottage and all of the things that were there to begin with..That's what We were so excited about and fell l in love to begin with, at least I did…

Jennie/Florida on February 27, 2013 at 10:44 am
    • Correction..meant to say Chic is as "close" to the design

Jennie/Florida on February 27, 2013 at 12:41 pm
    • I agree..But the oars would go better if they use that canoe shelf that is in the pics from before….they might go well then.

karenlin91 on February 27, 2013 at 11:04 am
  9. Electricians are there again today, and it looks like they might be working on the porch roof………in the back of course! But if they[re getting wiring in, and the plumbing, it can't be too long before they do insulation and start on interior work ( that would be wonderful to see with an inside camera, hint, hint) ;-)

karenlin91 on February 27, 2013 at 10:56 am
    • They're also putting in the tab thingies to hang siding on the top floor……..in the front! so we should see action today !

karenlin91 on February 27, 2013 at 11:01 am
  10. Today is Wed., Feb 27 and the sun is shining!!! Let's do a jig!! I see the roofing is going on…is that metal roofing on the porch? I can't zoom in anymore. Whatever, it looks great. Re: guest bedroom furnishings. I suppose the furnishings are second to the fact that folks like things to look and be clean and crisp. I think some of the color choices give that clean, crisp feel. And the oars also address another issue that guests will want—they want to feel that they are at the beach. While the owner may eventually tire of too much "beachiness" in the decorations, certainly a guest will want to be made to feel he/she is on vacation. So, I think you guys are doing a Good Job!

ncsheepfarmer on February 27, 2013 at 12:00 pm
    • If I win, I'll take it either way! :)

Lia_M on February 27, 2013 at 7:19 pm