Feb 26

Guest Bedroom Design Inspiration

As part of the People’s Choice Round Four vote, we’ve included three potential designs for the guest bedroom. Style boards, created by our friends at Good Housekeeping magazine, express the beach lifestyle in three singular — and sensational — ways.

The process of creating design themes began with contributing stylist Frances Bailey, who scoured her favorite design magazines, blogs and books for inspiration before spreading photos and clippings out on the floor of her New York City apartment. Frances also drew from her love of North Carolina’s Crystal Coast, a beach location that three generations of her family members have called their summer home. “It’s such a special part of the world,” she says.

Frances worked with Good Housekeeping editor in chief Rosemary Ellis and executive editor Janet Siroto over a period of several weeks to refine her designs before final presentation to the team at DIY Network. “This is such a joyful process — being able to dream,” says Frances. “And being able to be creative and throw a lot of pasta on the ceiling, see what sticks and see what the people want it to be. I’m fascinated to see how it works out.”

Nantucket-Style Guest Bedroom
Nantucket Charm, a gender-neutral scheme Frances describes as “classic beach” and “all-American,” is ideally suited for guest bedrooms. “There’s something about this style that isn’t girlie. A guy would feel comfortable in this room as well,” she says. Avoiding anything too gimmicky or trendy, Frances looked instead to the home’s own turn-of-the-century architecture and coastal location for inspiration.

Citrus-Inspired Guest Bedroom
A bowl of citrus fruits, placed atop a crisp white countertop, inspired Frances’ vision for the Bold and Beach-y design theme. “It’s just a super happy design,” says the stylist, who was also drawn to the aesthetic of Jonathan Alder and Trina Turk when creating this specific look. “It would be a wonderful place to spend a weekend if you were a guest,” she says of a bedroom decked in this theme’s collection of colors and furnishings.

Reclaimed Furnishings Guest Bedroom
More than once during her brainstorming sessions, Frances spied photos of old oars and paddles, upcycled in unique ways. Weathered paddles reclaimed as a headboard became the stylist’s lightbulb moment. “I just thought that was genius,” she says. Her brainchild, Recycled Chic, presents reclaimed items in a cool, chic way, set against a soothing, sea glass-inspired color palette. “This theme is a little bit more DIY, but it’s also charming and fun and in the spirit of this house,” she says.

The Good Housekeeping staff is joining in the fun of the People’s Choice program, casting votes and keeping fingers crossed for their own particular favorites. “The one I am most drawn to is the bright Bold and Beach-y,” says Janet Siroto. “In part I think I like how happy the colors are. And I think a guest room is a place to take a risk when using bright, saturated colors like that.” Frances, too, is drawn to the citrus-inspired theme for its fun mix of hues, but admits that New York City’s cold and grey weather conditions of late may be informing her decision. “I am excited to see what fans choose,” she says. “I think that’s really refreshing and fun – throwing out the ‘best of the best’ ideas and letting readers make the final decision. As a designer, I would be super happy to execute any one of these.”

• Posted at 11:21 am on February 2, 2013

1. Beautiful!!

CA Lewis on February 26, 2013 at 11:26 am
  2. I'd like to see elements from each of these selections "mixed together" so it doesn't look so "styled". The photos from the original cabin interior showed such a wonderful eclectic assortment of treasures and furnishings. But I'm always delighted with whatever transpires.

smokesmom on February 26, 2013 at 12:04 pm
    • Add me to the "bits of all three" eclectic look of the old cabin.

Grammagail on February 27, 2013 at 9:39 am
    • I agree with you totally smokesmom! The original cabin had such a wonderfully interesting spirit to it. I feel that with the stucture having to be entirely rebuilt that the designers have to work harder to hang onto the essence of the cabin. I am just hoping the end product does not end up looking too "styled" as you said. Thank you for your honest comment. I so enjoy the blog cabin process and I am anxious to see how it all turns out.

CyndieLee on February 27, 2013 at 3:47 pm
  3. Thanks for feedback, SmokesMom and glad you like CA Lewis!

Frances Bailey on February 26, 2013 at 12:38 pm
    • Thank you for joining us on the blog, Francis. It is really nice to know someone is actually reading our posts and weighing our opinions! Welcome aboard!

Grammagail on February 27, 2013 at 9:42 am
    • Frances, I love the recycled chic adding in the blue of the sky, water and sea glass, and the beige of wheat grass and the sand. I'm sure whatever you design will be just beautiful, and the pride of the homeowner to harbor their guests. I don't know if it is a thrill for you to work at such a great place as a member of the DIY Team, but I can only imagine how much fun it would be to work at such a place where you can use your creative skills! Becky :) <3

bythebaydreamer on February 27, 2013 at 5:42 pm
  4. IMHO, the recycled chic best suits the Atlantic area and the other more muted, calming colors used in the house. It would be nice to see some light shades of grass green, corals/apricots, watermelon/raspberry, and darker sand colors mixed in to move away from the gray a bit. These shades would all look nice with the molten glass and sea blues/greens already chosen for decor, and are also found locally in nature.

Bev on February 26, 2013 at 12:53 pm
  5. I agree with smokesmom. I like elements of all three, but not neccessarily all elements in any one theme. I chose Recycled Chic, because I felt it would accomodate the decor and antiques that were already in the house. As for color, I live in a hot, sticky climate in the south and find myself drawn to the cooler colors for that reason. I don't mind a pop of warm color such as a pillow, table ornament, or wall art might provide for the shorter "cooler" season.

Boo on February 26, 2013 at 12:59 pm
  6. I like the Recycled Chic and all, but the pichers of the fish is a bit much… =/
    And to much of the beached Shipwreck look, will make it look like a Tourist Attraction!
    I'm just hopeing to keep it to the Beach Frount look and still have that Homey fealing!!! ;)

asandmancan on February 26, 2013 at 1:19 pm
    • I agree that the recycled chic would best keep the character of the old house but I REALLY don't like the fish. I hope the designers pick another object to bring in the waterfront feel like a sailboat or maybe the lighthouse.

Barbara/Virginia on February 26, 2013 at 9:59 pm
    • I totally agree!!

karenlin91 on February 26, 2013 at 10:39 pm
    • They're whales!

Ishmael on February 27, 2013 at 3:00 am
    • That one is… But you know there going to put them in there somewhere!!!

asandmancan on February 27, 2013 at 2:04 pm
  7. I liked all three options, so there can't be any losers on this selection as far as I am concerned. I settled on the recycled chic because I liked the softer colors and the opportunity to incorporate some of the articles from the original house, but I also liked the traditional patriotic colors and the citrusey pops of color. Maybe elements of each can be included somehow. Great information above, thank you for sharing the thought process behind these selections with us.

Windsmurf on February 26, 2013 at 1:30 pm
    • I agree!

Karen_NEOH on February 26, 2013 at 2:23 pm
  8. I got to hand it to you guys. Everything is always done so professional. Thanks every year for giving us the chance to vote on the different items. My items don't always win, but that's the democratic system that I love.

grswla on February 26, 2013 at 1:38 pm
  9. i still like the Nantucket Charm all american one best, reminds me of the boys room in the cottage before and that the room I liked best up stairs. Can be seen in picture # 78 in the before pictures. http://www.diynetwork.com/blog-cabin/blog-cabin-2
    I like the colors in the light house picture, the bed, the rug on floor, and the canoe shelfs. I just think it all just reminds me of the cottage before and how it sits near the ocean/water and in the good old USA.
    Like others have said I like some of the other elements in the other designs too! I like the baskets, and the oars they would fit nicely with the nantucket charm & colors too I think. But I see it's not even close to winning, but I like the other one that is that's was my 2nd choice.

home_girl on February 26, 2013 at 1:41 pm
  10. Thank You Mary for the new thread, I'm ready for the next People's Choice. I would like to see the Antique Spindle bed from the cottage for the Guest bedroom and add those wicker baskets above and that wooden desk, also the Beige and White pillows and have maybe a "Paddle chair" and a Beach-y Colored Bedcover that will pull all those colors together plus the Bathroom colors…If I remember correctly the Guest Bathroom has Grass Green cloth wallpaper and Molten glass tile, so I think what ever colors were all ready chosen for the bathroom should flow into the bedroom…just add Nautical and beach-y accent pieces to the room, so if the New Owner wants to change the room, it won't be a Major task..Just My Thoughts!!! Have A Good Day!

Jennie/Florida on February 26, 2013 at 1:44 pm
    • :D I believe the grasscloth wall paper is for the powder room, which is downstairs? Otherwise, with the vote, I'd say you're right on the money, Jennie! I have steadfastly voted for the Nantucket Charm for the same reason that Home_Girl has–but all three choices for the Good Housekeeping Guestroom Design have been fabulous! I'd be happy with either one. I'm just partial to the original pieces that already were part of this house's history and charm!xD^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on February 26, 2013 at 9:27 pm
    • Hi Kitty, thank you…..I was thinking molten glass, mirror framing material and wall paper were all going in the guest bath but only the mirror framing material and molten glass tile are going in there, Good, so the Guest bathroom colors haven't been chosen only the type of tile and mirror framing for that bathroom..
      OK I'm clear on that..Kitty, all I want is for the rooms in the Cottage to be decorated the way they were when we first looked inside and not to modernize them..I'm more to the Beach-y theme than the Nautical…A few pieces of Nautical here and there would be fine but choose the main colors that will compliment the history, the antiques and decor that stole Our hearts to begin with…At least my heart! It felt like home to me! A lot of the Antiques in there, we had in our home when I was growing up and I could have moved right in when I saw it not knowing the cottage was falling apart around me! Now that the Cottage is solid again and ready to be groomed I just wish all the things that meant so much to Alicia and Family would be returned to where they belong!!! Just bring back the Cozy and Charm, don't modernize it with colors that don't go with the Cottage!!! Just My Thoughts!!! Have a good Day Kitty!

Jennie/Florida on February 27, 2013 at 10:04 am
    • I agree Jennie, it stole my heart too! I could have moved right in just the way it was, and I guess prop up things that started falling apart;-)

karenlin91 on February 27, 2013 at 10:43 am
    • You said it better than I could have, Jennie !! I think I would have moved in with all the original items/decor, even KNOWING the cottage would be falling apart, LOL. It felt like home to me…I'd take my chances ..;) <3

LLColeman on February 28, 2013 at 4:17 am
    • I agree with Jennie, loved the bed for guest room. I'm very patriotic so I of course like your nantucket choices…my favorite color is RedWhiteBlue, :)

americangram on March 18, 2013 at 4:39 pm