Feb 14

People’s Choice: Vote for Family Room Features

Blog Cabin 2013 People's Choice Family Room Vote

Good morning!

Today we launch the family room vote. Help us select the flooring pattern, lighting fixtures, ceiling treatment and more. We also invite you to vote for our guest suite style, provided by our friends at Good Housekeeping magazine. More info on those three distinct room styles is coming in the days to come!

• Posted at 10:47 am on February 2, 2013

1. I haven't been able to vote for the past couple days, but was so excited to get on to see what was up. I went with a mostly nautical theme, but some accents that make it seem homey, too. I really like the globe like light for the cupola. While I usually prefer the natural wood look for most things, I went with the whitewash effect for the ceiling because I think it will go better with the colors picked during the first round of voting, Cool Costal or something like that. The only thing that was not up my alley is the lighter tile for the guest bathroon, it looked a little blingy for my taste. Looking forward to seeing the result.

nmdeman on February 17, 2013 at 3:33 am
  2. Good Morning blogger friends!!! I see it is a bit chilly, but an extremely beautiful sunny Sunday morning in NC today! Can't you all just imagine waking up, wrapping up in a warm Hudson Bay blanket, and sitting on the porch swing looking out at the glorious, gleeming ocean while drinking a steaming mug of tea (or coffee for you coffee drinkers ;) ) and watching the sun rise? I know the swing is destined for the Master Suite porch, however if I am blessed with this amazing gift I will be hanging another one from the wrap-around porch facing the ocean for mornings such as these! Hope you all have a blessed and joyous Sunday! :D :)^_^B)<3

Shelly313 on February 17, 2013 at 10:08 am
    • I am sooooo jealous of who ever wins this cabin! I bet that the sun rises are epic over the water as are the moon rises. I don't know if I could get anything done with those views, or maybe I would just want to paint every view!!!

paperdragon on February 17, 2013 at 4:14 pm
    • I agree Paperdragon!!! I FINALLY was able to be at my computer at the right time to catch a small glimpse of the sunset on the cam today and it was GORGEOUS!!! Definitely worth painting!!! Depending on the weather, I would either be on the dock or on the balcony every single morning and evening to witness God's painting over the ocean!!! I really enjoy watching the colors of the sky change, the clouds change shapes, and the stars glittering in the velvet night. I really hope they will include a nice telescope as a housewarming gift for star and planet gazing – the balcony offers the perfect spot for one!!! One lucky person will be so very blessed!!! Sigh… ^_^

Shelly313 on February 17, 2013 at 8:28 pm
    • shelly313 I have yet to witness the sunrise or sunset but I have seen the skys colors and just as you said God's painting over the ocean. My husband and I would see beautiful skies and we would kid around looks like Bob Ross is out painting which we knew was all God's doing and it is never the same picture. I love storms. the thunder, lighting are gorgeous to me and like his skies never the same and I can not think how awesome on the water , Can't wait til voting begins.

bogartandbacall on February 22, 2013 at 12:17 am
    • Hi Shelly, I can definately imagine it! Who ever gets this home will be the luckiest person in the world as far as I am concerned! This is an amazing home and property! I would love to just sit on the porch or the balcony and get lost looking at the water. So beautiful! Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on February 19, 2013 at 9:37 am
    • Isn't is amazing how one beautiful small home on the NC coastline can bring so many people together to share the same dreams? I have visted and lived in a few places around the world because of the military, and I literally can't imagine a better place in the world to settle down and call 'Home'!!! This particular cottage and location are absolutely what I have dreamed about for years! I am so thankful to DIY Network for making such a wonderful opportunity possible for the 7th time that will happily end with someone's dream coming true that otherwise may never happen without them! :)

Shelly313 on February 19, 2013 at 2:52 pm
  3. I have been reading all the blogs on the light for the cupola and researched the fresnel. You have won me over. I am changing my vote to the fresnel. You will not see the light from inside the cottage. Furthermore, it would be great to have such a bright beacon to guide you back to the cottage when you're on the dock or swimming in the ocean late at night.

Barbara/Virginia on February 17, 2013 at 1:33 pm
    • I'm voting for the fresnel also, but I'm not sure if it is to be hung up inside the cupola or hanging down below. Either way, I like it. I think it would look especially cool if located inside the cupola (visible from the water), but I wonder if that would reduce its effectiveness for lighting the stairway. I'd better read the description again.

RLD on February 17, 2013 at 3:04 pm
    • Hi RLD, we are voting on a "Landing area" light fixture Style and the Lighthouse Sconce is winning so far….Sooo there should be enough lighting for the Cupola and the Stairway..Just My Thoughts

Jennie/Florida on February 17, 2013 at 3:33 pm
    • I should have said with the Fresnel–We hope— and the Lighthouse Sconce, the Cupola and the Landing should be well lit…JMT

Jennie/Florida on February 17, 2013 at 3:41 pm
    • Thanks…I appreciate your insight. This place is going to be beautiful.

RLD on February 17, 2013 at 8:59 pm
    • Like Jennie said, there are two separate lights; one for the Cupola and one for the landing, so definitely should be well lit! I am also hoping for the Fresnel and hope these posts alert others who may have not realized like I initially did not realize. I started with the Glass Globe, but after reading other insights I immediately changed to the Fresnel because it is better suited and more perfect for the Cupola (just like a lighthouse!)…and hopefully it will include a dimmer switch as suggested in earlier posts! :D

Shelly313 on February 17, 2013 at 8:36 pm
    • Forgot to mention, looking at the Fresnel and the Glass Globe, it looks like the Fresnel would be positioned perfectly up inside the Cupola, while the Glass Globe may end up hanging a little lower or even below (depends on the the dimensions). As much as I love the color and style of the Glass Globe, the Fresnel is definitely the better choice for this location! ;)

Shelly313 on February 17, 2013 at 8:41 pm
    • I agree with you on the Fresnel light for the cupola. All the choices are great but this one fits for the cupola.

dotdinero on February 18, 2013 at 10:24 pm
  4. I have been reading all the comments on the underside of the Murphy bed. I think the key word is underside. I think the designers are going to attach the winning design to the bed so when you pull down on the bed, the desk probably (since it is winning) will also fold out of the way.

Barbara/Virginia on February 17, 2013 at 1:45 pm
    • I have seen them do the murphy bed with the desk on one of the DIY episodes. It is very nice. Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on February 19, 2013 at 9:38 am
  5. I have become completely obsessed with the updates and designing. I just love it!

Sharon on February 17, 2013 at 4:03 pm
    • Hi Sharon…JOIN the Club…We are all Hooked on this Cottage and Everything that goes with it…I Can't get any Housework done and the Yard is suffering. My "Whiskers" is starving for hugs and kisses(My kitty) LOL. Everything has to wait because this Cottage comes first!! LOL Exaggerating a bit, but close to the truth!!!
      I do love Everything about this Adventure from start to finish..I think the best part is meeting so many nice people who become great Blogging Friends…Have a Good Day!!!

Jennie/Florida on February 17, 2013 at 4:28 pm
    • Hi Jennie, It sounds like Whiskers is more patient than my two rascals. Max is content with just a lap, but Molly drapes herself around my neck (remember those ratty fur animal pelts older ladies used to wear around their necks to church?) both legs hanging down either side of my neck. She tugs at my hair with her teeth if I don't pet her often enough, such a Diva!;) I'm sure like your Wiskers they think I also spend far too much time on this site.

SID on February 17, 2013 at 7:38 pm
    • Hi Sid, that is so funny…I could just picture you at your computer with this fur wrap around your neck….Aren't they something? You definitely have Molly Spoiled..I'm so busy trying to read all the comments and forget about Whiskers in my lap and she reminds me by getting in my face and starts talking to me..That little mouth is just a going….I wish I could understand cat talk, but I'm thinking she is saying enough now, it's My turn! What would we do without them?? She such a wonderful Kitty and listens to what I say to her and seems to know exactly what I'm saying. When I tell her to do something like, go lay down or go eat your breakfast, she does what I say..That's amazing to me! I got her when she was a year old and She will be 13 in Nov…such a joy to have! Have a Good Evening Sid!!!

Jennie/Florida on February 17, 2013 at 9:03 pm
    • <3<3<3

SID on February 18, 2013 at 9:36 am
    • Hi, My name is Shelly and I am an Atlantic, NC Blog Cabin Beach Retreat 2013 and Blog-aholic! :D OK, maybe a bit lame but couldn't help myself! haha! :)

Shelly313 on February 17, 2013 at 8:48 pm
    • It is truly addictive! I am hooked as well. Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on February 19, 2013 at 9:39 am
  6. Love watching these guys, Awesome job so far!!!!

Bob on February 17, 2013 at 4:33 pm
  7. That ocean view is SO amazing…. I zoom the camera in towards the shore, and I can almost hear the waves washing in….. and such a vivid blue this afternoon. I would never get tired of watching this.

Mimitheminer on February 17, 2013 at 5:07 pm
    • Did you see the pair of ducks under the tree to the left of the dock. I've seen them several times over the last week or so. I guess they're getting ready to nest somewhere nearby. Easter duckings anyone? :D

Clive on February 17, 2013 at 6:21 pm
    • Awwww, darn, I missed the ducks. I will have to keep an eye out for them tomorrow.

Mimitheminer on February 17, 2013 at 8:04 pm
    • I will have to watch for the ducks too! I hope we get to see ducklings soon, they are so adorable! I have seen a large flock of gulls floating in the water several times and when I refresh the cam I have seen them take flight…makes a beautiful picture, I can just hear them calling out to one another, while the gentle waves lap up against the shoreline…like you, Mimitheminer, I would never get tired of watching this either! Someone is going to be so very blessed with this cottage! :D

Shelly313 on February 17, 2013 at 8:56 pm
    • Me to! It is soooo beautiful!!! I could just live in a tent on this property if they would let me! haha Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on February 19, 2013 at 9:40 am
  8. Well Bloggers, Tomorrow is the Big Day…If everything is delivered, the Big projects will begin…It will be a real cold morning so I hope the Crew is bundled up!!! It's suppose to be Nice tomorrow; but Tuesday there is 70% change of rain…Bummer!! As steady as the Crews work, maybe they will get a great deal accomplished tomorrow!!! Can't wait to see the shingles on, the siding installed and the windows in…We won't recognize "Our Little Cottage"!!!!!!….What will be first, the Shingles, Windows or Siding or will there be a Crew for each Project all working at once…Is that possible????.That would be interesting… I'm ready, are You Bloggers??? Bright and early tomorrow Morning, Let the Entertainment begin!!! Lots of Smiles..

Jennie/Florida on February 17, 2013 at 8:12 pm
    • I'm ready to cheer the Crews on…Rah Rah Rah!!! :D I can't wait till March when the weather is supposed to improve to more sunny days versus rainy weather! In no time at all "Our Little Cottage" is growin up so fast…it is all so very exciting!!! ^_^

Shelly313 on February 17, 2013 at 9:01 pm
    • I know I will be here watching with you Jennie!! Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on February 19, 2013 at 9:42 am
  9. am new to the Blog Cabin…where have I been??!!

graceoriley on February 17, 2013 at 8:46 pm
    • Don't know where you've been; you're just fashionably late, find a place to sit on the porch and join the conversation.

DGustaf on February 17, 2013 at 9:33 pm
    • Welcome graceoriley….Please join us and Enjoy this Great Adventure with Us..Tomorrow if all goes well
      and all the materials are delivered, We will get to see the Cozy Cottage get Her New Bonnet, Her Permanent Wrap and Her New Glass–es!! What a great Journey this is for all of the Bloggers who Love the Blog Cabin Adventure from Start to Finish…….Have a good evening!!.

Jennie/Florida on February 17, 2013 at 9:40 pm
    • Wecome to BC, graceoriley!!! I'm fairly new too, and I can tell you this is a great crowd to be a part of! :D

Shelly313 on February 17, 2013 at 10:40 pm
    • Top o' the mornin' to you graceoriley, and welcome to the neighborhood!

SID on February 18, 2013 at 9:40 am
    • Welcome aboard!! You will get to know some really awesome people here! Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on February 19, 2013 at 9:43 am
  10. Good Morning Everybody!!! The guys are up bright and early, looks like lots of activity at the cottage today! Jennie/Florida, I had a problem zooming in, but I thought I saw a pallet of shingles by the foyer, and I have seen the lift moving around, so I'm thinking roof…err "Bonnet" today!!! :D

Hope everybody has a great day today!!! And keep your eyes out for the ducks that Clive has seen under the tree to the left of the dock! ^_^

Shelly313 on February 18, 2013 at 9:46 am
    • Good Morning Shelly, So much activity going on!!! but the Camera Cam won't zoom for me either..Wonder what it is, that they aren't ready for us to see, so they limit our zooming abilities, maybe??
      I would love the see the ducks so I will continue to look for them..Love Animals and Nature..Two of God's greatest Gifts!!!! Have a good Day!

Jennie/Florida on February 18, 2013 at 11:09 am
    • Good Morning Jennie! The guys are definitely hard at work this morning and I can see so much progress done just in the past couple of hours! I didn't think maybe they might be limiting the zooming abilities…hmmmm?! LOL ;)

And you are right about animals and nature…Definitely two of God's greatest gifts for all of us to enjoy! And this cottage is absolutely perfect for both!!! I sure hope we get to see the ducks – and maybe just maybe some ducklings in time for Easter as Clive mentioned earlier! ^_^ Hope your day is going well!

Shelly313 on February 18, 2013 at 12:33 pm
    • Saw the timberline shingles too I can zoom

zulumom on February 18, 2013 at 12:36 pm
    • Hi zulumom! That's what I thought I saw but was unable to zoom in this morning (works fine now), and then within minutes the guys were on the roof so I figured that's what it had to be! I see the rest of the plywood is down (except for the two openings that still remain on the upper roof), and the balcony railing (temporary?) is up. The guys are doing a great job!!! :)

Shelly313 on February 18, 2013 at 1:18 pm
    • Ducks? That would be fun, duck figurines that is! Real ducks would be messy, he, he… You would be busy cleaning the pool every moment….;-)
      Do you have a link to that Camera Cam?

paperdragon on February 18, 2013 at 4:47 pm
    • Hi PD, go to the top of this page and click on Camera Cam, that will take you there..Enjoy!!!

Jennie/Florida on February 18, 2013 at 5:35 pm
    • You crack me up, Paperdragon!!! Canadian Geese are horribly messy…and mean! Ducks can be very messy too if in large numbers, but Clive indicated there are only two and that they are probably nesting somewhere near the dock. As long as we don't get swarmed we should be good! ;)

I like watching ducks, they can be quite comical. And I actually do have a small collection of duck figurines! LOL :D

Did you find the Cabin Cam as Jennie explained?

Shelly313 on February 18, 2013 at 7:05 pm
    • Oh my goodness! I was asking early on about ducks but I haven't seen any yet! I will keep my eyes open!! Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on February 19, 2013 at 9:44 am
    • I'm still looking for the ducks too!!! Maybe they only like Clive since he seems to be the only one to have seen them several times last week! LOL :D

Shelly313 on February 19, 2013 at 2:54 pm