Feb 14

People’s Choice: Vote for Family Room Features

Blog Cabin 2013 People's Choice Family Room Vote

Good morning!

Today we launch the family room vote. Help us select the flooring pattern, lighting fixtures, ceiling treatment and more. We also invite you to vote for our guest suite style, provided by our friends at Good Housekeeping magazine. More info on those three distinct room styles is coming in the days to come!

• Posted at 10:47 am on February 2, 2013

1. Good luck to everyone! We all have dreams of living in this wonderful cabin located in a beautiful location. My choices have been from the heart and what I and my family would like rather what seems to be the popular ones. For example, the arts and crafts was a favorite because it is family fun thing to do. We love wood, rustic, recycled and functional items, nautical and comfortable decor. All the choices are winners!

dona on February 16, 2013 at 6:20 pm
    • I was thinking the same thing. The arts & crafts area could also be used as a desk area, but probably not the other way around. My wife would set up her sewing stuff there…I didn't see any better locations for something like that. We need to think in terms of how we live and what would be important to us if we actually won. I certainly respect those who want to hold fast to the traditional cottage decor. I was leaning that way until I starting thinking about actually living there. As I recall, the Blog Cabin in Maine was completely changed inside while the exterior did more to maintain the local styles and traditions.

RLD on February 16, 2013 at 8:13 pm
    • I agree Dona! I am already in love with this home regardless of what they choose. They could put just about anything in this home and I would be happy just to have it as so many others. Good Luck and Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on February 19, 2013 at 9:20 am
  2. If a compass was on inlaid on the family room floor I would want the NSEW directions to be accurate.

UOwinner on February 16, 2013 at 6:21 pm
    • Thye're drawn correctly for where they intend to place the compass in the house. :)

It saysthe inlay will go on the landing. I believe that's the top of the stairs, others think it's at the bottom of the stairs. Either way, going up or down stairs, as you approach the top or bottom you will be facing south. Hence the orientation of the drawing. ;)

Clive on February 16, 2013 at 7:23 pm
    • Thanks Clive, that makes sense.
      DD

UOwinner on February 16, 2013 at 8:43 pm
  3. Mel thank you for the grand tour, you found on youtube, of the NC lighthouses. I will be adding these to my bucket list, of must do things to see in person. I do hope all of you bloggers are enjoying the voting and remembering, that it is rare in life to get everything you want all of the time. I am just enjoying the process the DIY team has afforded us all. Have fun, keep the sun in your face and the wind at your back.

Jimbo on February 16, 2013 at 8:00 pm
    • Very well said, Jimbo! And the grand tour link Mel shared with us was just so facinating! I, too, can't wait to tour the lighthouses! Hope you have a joyous day! :D

Shelly313 on February 17, 2013 at 9:42 am
    • I am just happy to be a part of it! I get excited just to get online in the morning and do my voting and to chat with some amazing people. It has truly been a pleasure for me. Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on February 19, 2013 at 9:23 am
  4. I love the lighthouse but I don't see that there has to be only one choice here. Lighthouses light the way for ships on rocky and/or low tide shore lines. Why not the lighthouse with the coastal background? I am sure that with all of the talent on this project, this could be done ;-}

Diane on February 16, 2013 at 8:10 pm
    • That would look really nice, Diane! Great suggestion!!! :D

Shelly313 on February 18, 2013 at 6:34 pm
    • I love light houses. They are so pretty. If they do put one it will be awesome but if they don't the house will still be amazing all by itself. Someone is going to be soooo lucky to call it their home. It will be someone's own little paradise! Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on February 19, 2013 at 9:26 am
  5. It feels good to have this oppotunity to take part in remodeling this beautiful home.

waterfowl22 on February 16, 2013 at 9:05 pm
    • I totally agree, waterfowl22!!! I love that the DIY Team offer up the choices for our votes, and that everyone on here shares their opinions and knowledge…the outcome of such a large TEAM can only lead to a beautiful cottage that one lucky person/family will get to enjoy for many, many years to come!!! :D :D:D

Shelly313 on February 18, 2013 at 6:37 pm
    • I feel the same way! It is just an awesome experience!! Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on February 19, 2013 at 9:27 am
  6. Wow! Each time I look at the specs of the blog cabin I can envision what I would do to make this great seaside retreat my own. I love how we have a choice on the different "new" products for the house. I really hope these things will be blended with some of the original treasures that were in the cabin when DIY purchased it. The DIY Team has been great with decorating past blog cabins so that they are homey and comfortable. I think they will do the same thing here so that anyone would feel proud to call the blog cabin HOME. Becky^_^<3

bythebaydreamer on February 16, 2013 at 9:20 pm
    • Becky, you said it so well!!! I don't think I have ever seen a home done by the DIY or HGTV Teams that I didn't like! There have been times I have had my doubts about certain choices, but they always end up doing something I don't expect or visualize and the end results always amaze me! There is no better choice than the DIY Team to rebuild this coastal cottage, and we are so lucky to be a part of it!!! :D :D:D

Shelly313 on February 18, 2013 at 6:43 pm
    • I know what you mean Becky!! I love the old furnishing, so warm and cozy. I know the DIY Teams will do it justice. I am amazed each and everytime they finish a project. They are the best as far as I am concerned. Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on February 19, 2013 at 9:29 am
    • Trust! There are surely some original items heading back into the house – and in some unique ways too!! :) :)

Laurie_March on February 19, 2013 at 12:54 pm
    • Laurie, I remember my Mom telling me many years ago "patience is a virtue". Yes it is true…Thanks for the reply. Becky:)<3

bythebaydreamer on February 19, 2013 at 3:24 pm
    • I am so glad. I hope the trunks make it back. I also love all the little light house items. This is just such a warm and cozy home! Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on February 19, 2013 at 4:15 pm
  7. My favorite is the recycled Chic bedroom. Love the casual but warm feel. I thought the white wash ceiling would look very nice. I thought it would of been a shoe in! :)

Jen_in_nc on February 16, 2013 at 9:57 pm
    • Hi Jen_in_nc, I'm Jennie/Florida, and I agree with you on both..Those were my votes also. I really hope they keep it cozy and charming because that what drew me in to begin with,,,Did you see the 99 Pics of the Cottage inside with all the Antiques and collectibles also the 3 acres of land and the views are so lovely everywhere you look…Enjoy the Journey with us!

Jennie/Florida on February 16, 2013 at 11:20 pm
    • I think they did a good job with all of the things that we had to vote on. I really had a hard time deciding on what to choose. Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on February 19, 2013 at 9:30 am
    • The good news is that it would be fairly cheap to whitewash the ceiling after you win the cabin.

Windsmurf on February 19, 2013 at 11:09 am
  8. It is really great to see old friend back here on DIY. Hope all of you are well and having lots of fun with this year's blog cabin. I just got back to read the old thread were I wanted to warn people about a bad web site here of which I no longer see. Thanks DIY for being so promp. Old friends and new friends are for me what these blog are all about and it is good to know we can look out for one another. So what does everyone think of this years home/ So far it seem all coming along a bit better then the home in Maine? It seems this company is on the ball and have really done a good job with relocating the rooms? Sure hope everyone is well:p How are the picks coming? Who here likes or not so much like the choices.

Hawkweed on February 16, 2013 at 10:14 pm
    • Hi Hawkweed, so glad to see you, Hope you are well…The Guys are moving right along..If the windows, siding and shingles arrive tomorrow the Crew will start installing.if the "Weather" permits..Mr. Eastman is on the ball to get things done and he is doing a wonderful job..We pretty much have vented on the People's choice in our comments. When you have some time, read through them and you will get the jest of how We feel…it's all good thoughts and reasons for how we voted…We have great Bloggers who all want the same thing…"This Cottage" LOL. Glad to see you back…Have a good evening!!!

Jennie/Florida on February 16, 2013 at 11:43 pm
    • Good hearing from you again, Hawkweed ! This year's location is so great, but I am sad that the original building had too much damage to save it.

LLColeman on February 17, 2013 at 4:41 am
    • Good Morning Hawkweed! And thanks for looking out and catching the bad web site! I <3<3<3 how the cottage is coming along, and I can definitely imagine myself walking through it, living in it, and waking up to the glorious view of the ocean every single morning for the rest of my life! :D I really like the majority of the choices and can see all fitting well – I know the DIY Team will make all the choices work well with each other! The only choices I don't see fitting in (and they are not leading anyway) are the Lantern (too rustic), the Magellan fan (too urban industrial), and the blue shade of wallpaper (the green is more complementary of the ocean). And I am very happy the Molten Glass tiles are in the lead! I thought the white wash ceiling would lead, but I am able to visualize the woodtone – if all else fails, paint it! And I love the G.H. Rustic Chic for the guest bedroom – I am all about recycle and reuse and can't wait to see what the team does with what was left behind! Hope you have a glorious Sunday morning! :D

Shelly313 on February 17, 2013 at 9:55 am
    • Hi Hawkweed! Thank you for contacting HGTV about the scam linked to that web site. I'm impressed they were able to respond so quickly and remove the site. We old timers are so glad to have you back again this season, hope you enjoy voting and catching up with all the comments.

SID on February 17, 2013 at 11:52 am
    • I think this location is "Paradise"! I love it! As far as the choices for voting…I loved everything and had a really hard time choosing! I have said before I really don't care what they choose, the DIY Teams do an amazing job incorporating everything and make it look so amazing. Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on February 19, 2013 at 9:34 am
  9. Several people have commented that the dark ceing is going to make the room too dark. Ihope everyone realizes that we are voting on the upstairs media/family room that goes out to the balcony. A dark ceiling in this space is not going to make the room too dark because there are so many windows. I think the dark wood ceiling would give the feeling of sailing on a ship where you are high up in the house and can see the ocean.

Barbara/Virginia on February 17, 2013 at 12:55 am
    • Good point. It is also the media room where the residents will be watching TV in the evening. For that, a more subdued room might be better. I may need to rethink my vote on this one. Several people have talked about keeping it white like the "before" pictures. I wonder if they were thinking about the very white living room on the first floor.

RLD on February 17, 2013 at 1:11 am
  10. I was wondering if I could change anyone's mind about the landing floor. I know the lighthouse is in last place. The inlay is for the top of the stairs not the first floor entrance to thecottage. The compass works okay but wouldn't the lighthouse be more imaginative. With the current winning decor choices, It would lead you upstairs to a trip onto the seas or to a private island beach. It would light your way back downstairs to "shore" and the rest of the beach cottage.

Barbara/Virginia on February 17, 2013 at 1:26 am
    • Yeah! Another blogger on Team Lighthouse!

Mel on February 17, 2013 at 8:24 am