Feb 14

People’s Choice: Vote for Family Room Features

Blog Cabin 2013 People's Choice Family Room Vote

Good morning!

Today we launch the family room vote. Help us select the flooring pattern, lighting fixtures, ceiling treatment and more. We also invite you to vote for our guest suite style, provided by our friends at Good Housekeeping magazine. More info on those three distinct room styles is coming in the days to come!

• Posted at 10:47 am on February 2, 2013

1. If it's not too late, the closets need to be bigger. Perhaps you could reconfigure the bathrooms to make room for larger closets.

Nancye on February 15, 2013 at 12:29 pm
    • The trouble there is – I think this is meant to be a vacation retreat and not a home. Hubby and I could certainly live in this cabin, retired as we are. But for a family to take up residence here, hmm, pretty small for that. But even a vacation retreat requires closets that will hold more than a change of clothes. I gave you a thumbs-up on your comment. We'll see how long that holds. There seems to be a grinch floating by that likes to give a thumbs-down on a lot of entries. IMHO
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on February 15, 2013 at 9:44 pm
    • Nancye –

The closets actually feel pretty big in person! :)

The bathrooms too – I'd hate to lose space in the bathrooms because Lord knows on a beach someone's always showering off some sand!

Laurie_March on February 19, 2013 at 12:50 pm
    • Maybe they are planning on an outside shower. It is so useful to wash off the sand before entering.

zulumom on February 19, 2013 at 2:49 pm
    • Laurie, Thank you for responding. After reading Nancye's comment, I looked back at the BC floor plans, and also thought there could be a little more closet space. Is there a linen closet? (For all those beach towels) How about a small coat closet? Even in North Carolina you will need lightweight jackets. Well, you know, I am a pack rat, so you could never have too much closet space for me!xD

Boo on February 20, 2013 at 7:12 pm
  2. Okay, I'm back now to finish up my voting, got a few in this morning. I listened to the arguements in favor of the Fresnel lite fixture and you convinced me. I absolutely love the globe but considering where it will hang, the Fresnel is the only logical choice. I had already seen the big photo of it, loved it, but voted for the globe. But that was yesterday when I was seemingly insane and had also voted for the woodtone ceiling treatment (for a reason I explained previously). Now I'm running at 50% with my votes vs the favorites! But it's only day 2 of voting, lots of room for leads to change.
    I appreciate reading everyone's input and I hope more will venture here to see the discussion. Reading this blog has helped me adjust my voting, but for the better I believe. But only in 2 catagories – Har!

Wind Chime Girl on February 15, 2013 at 7:50 pm
    • But, the Fresnel MUST have the dimmer switch – I can't imagine how romantic the mood could be with that fixture on low. The ambience would be amazing!
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on February 15, 2013 at 7:56 pm
    • Way to go Wind Chime Girl !!
      The Fresnal is perfect….let's hope others will change their votes too :)

Mel on February 15, 2013 at 8:24 pm
    • I <3<3<3 the look of the sea glass and think it would cast such a pretty green/blue glow, but after reading all the inputs about the Fresnel I just may have to change my mind like I did with the woodtone ceiling…I will have to give this some great thought before casting my next votes! And I am starting to rethinking the desk…I'm sure there will be a spot perfect for a small writing/working desk somewhere in the cottage – but definitely not the dart board or arts/crafts station…I initially liked the coastal map so maybe I should have just started with my initial instincts! Thanks Wind Chime Girl and everyone else for all the inputs to consider!

Shelly313 on February 16, 2013 at 3:43 pm
  3. I went in and cast my one vote; I looked at what is far ahead so far and I don't agree with most of the leaders, oh well.

DGustaf on February 15, 2013 at 9:19 pm
    • Me too Don. I think I have only two picks winning this round…
      I was so excited when I saw a couple of items up for vote that reflect the area the BC is located in so well, then saw the voting results and how hopelessly behind they both were. I'm voting 'til the bitter end my ten times a day……..guess I'm just a hopeless optimist.

Mel on February 15, 2013 at 9:58 pm
    • You go, Mel ! ;) Agree too, Don.

LLColeman on February 17, 2013 at 4:32 am
    • They can leave it empty and I would be happy! How can you not just fall in love with this house and property! It is amazing and someone will be the luckiest person in the world just to call it their own! Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on February 19, 2013 at 9:53 am
    • I totally agree with you.

Windsmurf on February 19, 2013 at 10:46 am
  4. I hate to see that the Cape Lookout Lighthouse isn't popular with voters because it is such an important icon of the area. There are certainly other beautiful choices, but c'mon… Lookout Lighthouse in the foyer floor?!! So cool!!! Has my vote every time :)

Lynne on February 16, 2013 at 9:49 am
    • Not the Foyer floor. It's the stairs landing floor for the inlay design.

I agree it should be the lighthouse.

When it's a nationwide vote the voters know nothing about the area (probably don't really care either) and just vote on the first thing that's on the list. That's why the inappropriate dark wood ceiling finish is winning too.

Ally on February 16, 2013 at 10:02 am
    • I would love to seen a print/photo/lithograph of the lighthouse in the cabin but I think the compass design fill the floor space better. I t would be fun to stand on it talk about where you could go and see! :)

Lia_M on February 16, 2013 at 11:29 am
    • Lia it could be that DIY would showcase the Cape Lookout Lighthouse inside of a large circle, depicted with the blue sky above her and the beach beneath her, or possibly she would be inside of a large circle and her contrasting black & white diamonds would have black & white contrast themselves on either side of the circle. (hope that made sense)
      It could be possible she is doing so poor in the vote because folks think she will be little and not highlighted well in the decorative design. I really believe the designers would make her look beautiful, and large enough to have a visual impact. I also believe her distinctive black & white diamond design would look gorgeous against the brown wood grain of the flooring.

Mel on February 16, 2013 at 12:31 pm
    • That would be a great design, sometimes it's hard to picture from a small drawing. I 'm glad you are championing the lighthouse, I haven't been to the light house in Cape Lookout, but I have seen articles and images of it in Our State magazine/show and it's definately on list of places to visit.

Lia_M on February 16, 2013 at 2:12 pm
    • Lia, the image of the " Diamond Lady" in a colorless picture frame doesn't do her justice. ( P/C pic) and she isn't labeled. Folks are voting from all over the USA, and probably don't realize how close this Lighthouse is to the BC location, or her historical significance.
      I usually don't blog much about the vote or how it's going, because I know in the end the home will look amazing. It was to hard this time to remain silent and let a beautiful representation of the area lose the vote without speaking up. Honestly I'm sad to see her so behind in the vote.

Mel on February 16, 2013 at 3:09 pm
  5. Thanks, Mary, for the beautiful picture of that bedroom. I love Linda's sense of decor. She has, yet again, decorated the room with a clean, fresh take on seaside cottage. I can see that the choices in the Blog Vote are a blend of eclectic styles that appeal to the majority, blending old with the new, contemporary with traditional. It is a glimpse of the personality that the cabin will display. I can't wait to see the finished house! It will be beautiful! The only choice that I personally didn't care for was the claw foot tub in the bathroom vote. I had one and the tub was always cold because it was elevated and not insulated. Claw foot tubs look great, but perhaps when it is warm, a cool tub is a blessing.

paperdragon on February 16, 2013 at 11:39 am
    • I absolutely <3 claw foot tubs! I have never experienced a heated floor before, but I would like to think the heated floor will add a little extra warmth to the room and possibly help with some of the chill you have experienced in the past.

Shelly313 on February 16, 2013 at 3:48 pm
    • I agree, Shelly313! Claw foot tubs are beautiful and it is probably more comfortable in a room with heated floors. The house that I was in was more than 100 years old and the bathroom was not heated. The water got cold fast and I could always feel the temperature difference of the tub and the water. I usually took showers in the upstairs bathroom anyway, especially in the winter.

paperdragon on February 17, 2013 at 3:30 pm
    • Oh wow! I can only imagine the temperature difference…BRRRR!!! Thankfully, the cottage will have heat in all the rooms, and the bonus of a heated floor in the bathroom!!! Too bad it's not a heated claw foot tub…I wonder if they make those? LOL The one and only time I met my Grandma and stayed at her house for a few days as a teen, I remember being in awe of her claw foot tub because I had never seen one before then (Dad was military and we spent too many years away from family and overseas). I do remember her tub got cold a little faster than normal, but I was taking quick baths anyway so I could hurry up and spend time with her before we continued on to Dad's next base. She lived in NC and passed shortly after that visit. I remember that visit so fondly and think this may be one of the reasons why I want a claw foot tub so badly. And my mom is from Beaufort, so perfect location for the BC to relocate to and finally get to know her side of the family. ;)

Shelly313 on February 17, 2013 at 8:12 pm
    • That's true, Shelly313! The house that I lived in was over 100 years old and the bathroom was not heated. i imagine that this cabin will have the most updated conveniences, like a heated floor.

paperdragon on February 18, 2013 at 11:35 am
    • And all of these updates are good things that will hopefully provide great warmth and last another 100+ years for this coastal gem's future family!!! :)

Shelly313 on February 18, 2013 at 1:38 pm
    • Been awhile since I've seen you, Paperdragon! Glad you're back!xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on February 16, 2013 at 9:20 pm
    • Hi Kitty! I didn't think that folk would notice, but I have missed chatting and meeting all of the really nice people that jump onto these blogs. I will try to check in more often. I'm flattered that you noticed me gone! ;-)

paperdragon on February 17, 2013 at 3:36 pm
    • Thank you so much, Kitty! I didn't think that folks would notice! Been too busy, but I do miss trading comments with you! ;-)

paperdragon on February 18, 2013 at 11:36 am
    • Hi, PD—Linda W. decorates for HGTV projects… sister station DIY network uses other decorators for Blog Cabin–just FYI.

LLColeman on February 17, 2013 at 4:34 am
    • Thank you LLC! When it comes to the facts, you are always so observant! You are a valuable resource for the rest of us. :-)

paperdragon on February 17, 2013 at 3:38 pm
  6. I found an awesome video featuring NC Lighthouses, you can hear about their history, see their beauty, and appreciate the task they have done for centuries as coastal sentinels along the NC coast. I love that they are referred to as a "string of lighted pearls". The video begins by featuring the Cape Lookout Lighthouse, the decorative design emblem that is up for vote. Near the end of this video is a beautiful shot taken from Shackleford Banks, and right across the water is the Cape Lookout Lighthouse with her distinctive black & white diamonds. So if you win this home, and enjoy visiting the Shackleford Banks area (you will certainly be nearby) for fishing, viewing the wild mustangs, kayaking, boating, birdwatching, or just relaxing on the beach you will see the Diamond Lady, a real, tangible, regal, intricate part of NC maritime history. Even if you believe the compass, or map represents the area and home better, please watch this video, the video photography of the landscape is beautiful, and if you win BC all of these historic and serene places might go to the top of your list for a visit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8X7ijMOvK8

Mel on February 16, 2013 at 12:01 pm
    • Thank you for posting this youtube link, Mel! I have never toured a lighthouse before, but I love looking at pictures of lighthouses! If I am lucky enough to win this coastal cottage gem, one of the first things I plan to do is take a tour of lighthouses along the East coast – I would love to go up into a lighthouse, and also to see the "string of lighted pearls" from the water at night! But I hope you will forgive me for still thinking the Compass is better suited for the landing area. However, I am changing my vote on the Woodtone ceiling to White Wash, and most likely going to change from Glass Globe to Fresnel, and from Desk to Map! :)

Shelly313 on February 16, 2013 at 3:56 pm
    • Shelly I agree Lighthouses are just so special. If you win the BC you will have so many beautiful places to explore, and fun activities to do including visiting the many Lighthouses. I am voting white wash ceiling treatment, and Fresnel light too. Maybe one of these items will win :)

Mel on February 16, 2013 at 6:40 pm
    • I sure hope so…there's still plenty of time for the votes to turn a different direction! I can just see myself now in NC…I would be like a kid with ADHD on a major sugar rush heading in one direction only to see something else catch my eye, over and over again…my exploration path would closely resemble the coastal inlay! haha! :D

Shelly313 on February 17, 2013 at 11:46 am
    • Oh Mel. thank you so much! I've always loved lighthouses, and this video is beautifully done. I didn't think I could possibly become more obsessed with the BC, aargh!:p<3

SID on February 16, 2013 at 5:14 pm
    • I know this BC is going to be a heart breaker! I was hoping bloggers that love Lighthouses would watch the video and enjoy it.
      I should have posted this warning: Do not watch if you are already CraZee over this years BC, LOL
      Sid I always enjoy reading your comments in the evening when I have missed the Cabin Cam due to work, so I take extra delight in having posted something that entertained You!

Mel on February 16, 2013 at 7:03 pm
    • Really cool. Thanks.

Hawkweed on February 16, 2013 at 10:15 pm
    • You're welcome Hawkweed, I'm glad to see you back on the blog :)

Mel on February 17, 2013 at 8:33 am
    • Thanks for this link, Mel. We love lighthouses and, over the years, have planned a number of vacations which allowed us to visit some very interesting lighthouses along the north and east coasts. I watched several great YouTube videos from this link, including the one about the Great Dismal Swamp canal. Very interesting! Love learning about local history everywhere we venture!

Karen_NEOH on February 17, 2013 at 2:35 pm
    • Karen you will find some interesting local history really close to the BC. Have you checked out Portsmouth Village? It's no longer inhabited full-time. I think the last resident left in 1971? It's part of the Cape Lookout National Seashore and has several building that have been preserved for public touring to see how life was in a coastal town many years ago.
      I have never visited Portsmouth, but it sounds like an awesome place to check-out if you love history. The architect for BC included the cupola in honor of the Life-Saving Station that is there.

Mel on February 20, 2013 at 9:20 pm
    • Great video. I am changing my votes from the compass design to the lighthouse…for a couple reasons. First…your well reasoned advocacy and the video you provided. Second…as much as I like the compass design, I agree that if used it should be accurate…and making it so just looks strange to me.

RLD on February 17, 2013 at 2:55 pm
    • Thanks RLD, it's so kind of you to be willing to change your vote :)
      Possibly the designer(s) for BC will find a way to honor the "Diamond Lady" in another way. Shame about the landing inlay, but the compass lovers have spoken!

Mel on February 20, 2013 at 9:27 pm
    • Mel,
      By George, you've done it again! Thanks for the link for the light houses. Did you notice the glass on the Currituck light house! The Lighthouse Fresnel glass we are voting on mimics the French glass in the Currituck lighthouse. Would be nice if it won! Enjoyed the video!
      Thanks Again,
      Windee :)

Windee :) on February 20, 2013 at 8:13 pm
    • You're welcome Windee. I loved the Lighthouse design opitons that were up for vote this round. I agree with you it would be so nice if the Fresnel light could come from behind and win!

Mel on February 20, 2013 at 9:35 pm
    • Would be nice….surprised vote hasn't changed much even though minds have. Windee :)

Windee :) on February 21, 2013 at 7:19 pm
  7. I've no intent to sway anyone else's votes…I would hope that people are voting for personal choices they'd want if they won the cabin. I also realize that those preferences may have nothing to do with what the original and subsequent occupants did with the place. If I win it, I won't be treating it like a museum or shrine for the past. For instance…the "whitewash" ceiling treatment may well be more consistent with how the home was previously decorated, but I suspect a lot of people prefer the warmer feeling they'd get from the natural wood ceiling finish. Their choices may also be affected by the time of year. I'm looking out my window at blowing snow (it is 19 degrees outside in Michigan right now). The warmer feel of the natural wood is more appealing to me right now. In July, I could well feel differently! I'm a bit perplexed by the choices associated with the murphy bed area. I can't imagine the desk or arts & crafts items being place against the murphy bed…so they must be intended for placement nearby…against the West wall, perhaps? I also suspect that I'd be using the "media/family" room area mostly in the evening and a more subdued tone might be more comfortable. I am finding my choices consistent with the majority for most items and have no dramatic objections to those with which my choices are not consistent. No matter how the votes go, this is going to be a very nice home for someone. I almost hate to admit this, but I find myself looking at the cabin-cam's waterfront view as much as the house. What a beautiful place to live! I went to the annual boat show in Grand Rapids, MI yesterday and found myself checking out the "draft" specifications for the boats, thinking about the shallowness of Core Sound…when I should have been thinking about the boats in the context of Michigan's many inland lakes….oh well.

RLD on February 16, 2013 at 3:52 pm
    • ….at least if the natural wood wins, the winner can paint it…might take a few coats, though. I've been voting for the more traditional cottage decor (including the white ceiling), but not losing sleep over the way the votes are going…still going to be beautiful.

RLD on February 16, 2013 at 7:55 pm
    • RLD…..sounds like you are hooked:) Good Luck….Windee :)

Windee :) on February 20, 2013 at 8:15 pm
  8. I love the aqua glass pendant light . Where can I buy it?

Steel Magnolia on February 16, 2013 at 4:47 pm
  9. Can't help but notice that comments receiving a thumbs-down are the ones questioning the format and choices for this round of voting. It's okay to express how we feel. In my opinion, there shouldn't even be a thumbs-down.

MomGrandma on February 16, 2013 at 4:59 pm
    • Did you go thru and fix them? I just looked and see nothing but plusses….which is as it should be , everyone who has commented has made me look at things a little differently and that is all good…….changed several of my votes because people are making sense ;-)

karenlin91 on February 16, 2013 at 5:24 pm
    • Hi karenlin, when someone agrees with a thumbs-up it turns green, when they click on thumbs-down it turns red. The more thumbs-up you receive, your vote remains on the plus side. I enjoy reading people's comments and those who work on the cabin benefit from all of this feedback.

MomGrandma on February 16, 2013 at 6:05 pm
  10. I've been talking up the cabin, and the whole area to my husband the fisherman. Before this I really knew nothing about North Carolina, except from an airman I dated a hundred years ago in high school. He went home (to Ashville) to help with spring plowing and came back with some jars of moonshine cause his uncle ran moonshine! And my husband the fisherman is also a Nascar fan and North Carolina is big in that. This state seems to have just about everything! I thought I'd never want to leave California again, but…………

karenlin91 on February 16, 2013 at 5:30 pm
    • From one coast to another…I love those kinds of moves! B)

Shelly313 on February 17, 2013 at 11:52 am
    • This property and home is just amazing. I would give anything to live there! Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on February 19, 2013 at 9:18 am