Feb 14

People’s Choice: Vote for Family Room Features

Blog Cabin 2013 People's Choice Family Room Vote

Good morning!

Today we launch the family room vote. Help us select the flooring pattern, lighting fixtures, ceiling treatment and more. We also invite you to vote for our guest suite style, provided by our friends at Good Housekeeping magazine. More info on those three distinct room styles is coming in the days to come!

• Posted at 10:47 am on February 2, 2013

1. I also think that moving an entire desk with the items on top would be more of a chore than pushing one or two arm chairs out of the way to use the Murphy Bed–I'm voting for the coastal map instead (hopefully the choice would be from the local area). The white wash on the beams is much more in keeping with the charm of the old home. I also agree that the recycled chic reflects the original decor, so glad that it is leading so far.

elfie on February 15, 2013 at 2:06 am
    • I could hang a map anywhere, but creating a work space is more difficult, so I like the desk area. But I am with you totally on the white wash and recycled chic.

Windsmurf on February 15, 2013 at 10:20 am
    • elfie, I agree. A desk under a Murphy bed?! lol It's also confusing to vote on these items when they are so disjointed. We are led to believe we are voting on one area of the house, but are whizzed around and don't know how other elements in these spaces will be affected by our decisions. Oh well.

MomGrandma on February 15, 2013 at 12:50 pm
  2. I cannot wait to see the blend of the old and the new in this wonderful coastal retreat. I can imagine sitting out on the porch and hearing the waves roll in. Each day brings so many new delights! Becky^_^<3

bythebaydreamer on February 15, 2013 at 2:56 am
    • You have read my mind!!! Hi Becky!! How have you been?

rebecca on February 19, 2013 at 9:49 am
    • you have read my mind to by the baydreamer. I look at cam to look at the ocean am/pm just to see the water and how fast wind is going and think about hearing and seeing the waves heaven on earth, not to also talk about our beautiful bc that is getting more and more exciting as time goes on

bogartandbacall on February 21, 2013 at 11:50 pm
  3. I am sort of surprised at how the voting is going. We bloggers have been asking for blues, beachy white washing and also patriotic colors? I see the dark wood finish for the ceiling is winning??????:( and also the patriotic color for the linens in the bedroom is losing??? to the rustic chic I think it is??
    The place in the end is going to look fantastic I am sure.
    I have not been able to keep up with the blog as much as the past. Is Victoria going to be doing the decorating? I am sure she will be able to intergrate all kinds of wonderful antiques into this home. I can't wait to see:) I have said in the past I am generally not a blue person but I do feel they would look great for this home and getting away from the greens and browns of the past. I love the blue tiles for tha bath. I see lots of colors that can be used with those tiles. So please do not vote for the beige tiles only because they seem neutral:( I think they will looked dated in the end. Oh and I love that the capize shell mirror frame is winning-they are so beautiful and will look super with the blue tiles!:p<3o.0

ruffybc on February 15, 2013 at 8:59 am
    • Initially, I chose the red,white and blue, but I like the idea of blending in some of the original items into the decor and I also like the softer colors of the recycled chic palette so I changed my vote. I think they have a different decorator this year, but we have not heard that officially as far as I know. I agree on the bath tiles, beige is so boring. Whatever choices we make, I know from the past that DIY will make it look terrific.

Windsmurf on February 15, 2013 at 10:30 am
    • I agree-2 years ago-I thought the kitchen sink needed to placed in front of a window–I was so wrong–that kitchen is one of my all time favorites–it was perfect placed on the island-so I have faith that this will be another great blog cabin

Bev on February 16, 2013 at 1:04 pm
    • Hi Ruffy, hope you are well, have missed your comments!! I don't think Victoria is going to be on this project .
      Haven't seen her or any mention of her from Mary or our new House Counselor, Laurie March–Remodel Manager…Check her out on Blog.hgtvremodels.com. Great person and she blogs with us..

Jennie/Florida on February 15, 2013 at 10:48 am
    • Thanks windsmurf and Jennie:)
      I will check out the remodel blog.
      I agree whatever gets picked-it will all come out beautiful:)

ruffybc on February 16, 2013 at 9:22 am
    • Hi Ruffy! I'll be OK with that beige recycled chic palette but, because i've begged and begged and reminded DIY that the Robinson family had lots of patriotic collectable colors (red, white, blue) I figure I should stay with that vote. I think those colors fit the cottage and very much are reminiscent of some of the Robinson's taste. Ruffy, I'm pretty certain that Designer known as The House Counselor, Laurie March IS our Designer, aside from the specialists, such as the Good HouseKeeping team, Yard Crasher, Kitchen, Crasher, Mega Den, etc. I posted to Lauri's Pinterest and HGTVRemodels.com blog about the kitchen layout and slight storage improvements to the laundry area. Laurie not only responded, she said she liked the thinking and she said she would pass it on. It may be too late, due to plumbing already being there. Don't know about electrical yet. But was hoping to open kitchen up more, reorg some appliances, keeping work triangle, but allowing for more counter workspace for 2 cooks at a time++ and bring main cook forward into interaction with household and guests by having both sink and stove closer to front of kitchen. Also addressed pantry area. So we'll see if anything happens. Remember, it was under Dylan's watch in Matthews, VA, that the BC 2011 kitchen was reorganized due to Bloggie suggestions! I would like to see some of the cupola light visible to the kitchen too, otherwise the kitchen seems cramped and apartment-like IMO. Laurie has posted lots of photos on Instagram–but I don't know how to get there.. I have facebook, Pinterest and this Blog. But I'm stuck Great to hear from you!<3<3<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on February 16, 2013 at 9:49 pm
  4. I was pleasantly blown away with the amazing choices for this round of voting. What lovely choices! This was a hard one…can't wait to see the outcome.

Goin2SC on February 15, 2013 at 9:12 am
  5. http://marsheslighthouse.com/ Mel said the blog is a lot like this lighthouse and it is…..I'm definitely sticking with the fresnel light on a dimmer! And the whitewash on the ceiling instead of dark wood….much more like the original. But I will give on the blue tile, it really is beautiful……and the desk, I don't want to be moving it all the time either ;-) . The dart board would be better on the porch, so I'm thinking the map, and maybe a cool pic of the diamond lighthouse…..I really like the idustrial looking fan, but the one that is winning so far goes much better with the original look that we all want to keep so I'm switching on that too..
    Going back to switch some votes ;-)

karenlin91 on February 15, 2013 at 10:52 am
    • I surely hope that DIY is paying attention, the cabin can only get better by listening to all the opinions and going with the best choices.

karenlin91 on February 15, 2013 at 10:59 am
    • Karenlin91 thanks for posting the link :)
      I'm glad you see the resemblance in the BC's exterior design and the Roanoke Marshes Lighthouse too. I wish that at least one of the design elements that reflect the BC area would win! The Fresnel light is just perfect for the cupola…kind of like the cherry on top of the whip cream in a hot fudge sundae.

Mel on February 15, 2013 at 8:18 pm
  6. Can't understand DIY's 'obsession' with computer desks, media stations (2012 BC) and suchlike. Don't they know that desktop computers, keyboards etc. are going the way of the dinosaurs and will soon be almost obsolete. A laptop, notebook or tablet with wireless connectivity, voice activated keyboard and search are fast becoming the norm. There's no need to build a soon to be obsolete feature into these houses. IMHO of course. ;)

Clive on February 15, 2013 at 11:16 am
    • I picture that desk area as not just a place for electronics, but a place where my grandkids could color or play with Legos — better than having that stuff all over the floor or dining room table! And, I would guess, not everyone desires, or can afford, to stay updated in the world of electronics. For many, that will be a delayed reality! :-)

Karen_NEOH on February 15, 2013 at 2:49 pm
    • Hi Clive, we're voting on Murphy/B underside design..We have to work with the options they give us to vote on and I grant you I am disappointed with some of the choices they have given us for this Cottage… All those Antiques they bought to use in the Rebuild and the options they gave us are not the styles that will work well together with the Antiques except maybe the "Recycle Chic" which IMO will work, but our options are limited and that's what we have to settle for..Don't need "Stations" but Diy could build a nice Wooden desk with some of the old wood that was saved from the Cottage..the desk could have Casters and locks so You can roll it anywhere in the F/R or put it in another room.
      As far as having a Computer desk, Maybe the Winner doesn't have all those updated Electronics that you mentioned and they may need a desk for their Computer or for writing..Not only that, maybe there was a nice Antique desk in the Cottage that Diy is planning to use in the Family room, if that P/C option wins..
      The winner can rearrange the F/R anyway they see fit…No I don't like the idea of putting something heavy in front of the Murphy bed and have to struggle to move it every time you have Company, I think that's a bad set up..Yes I think the Media stuff could go and add things that is really needed and adds charm back into this Cottage to make this house a Cozy Cottage again..Just My Thoughts!!! Have a Good Day !!

Jennie/Florida on February 15, 2013 at 3:34 pm
    • Good point, Jennie/Florida! A "desk" is a table top that has more uses than just for writing or the computer! It is a table top that can be used to hold a TV as well as a project, display, or snack table. Our dining table in the kitchen is my computer tale for my laptop and Wacom tablet. I need the space to spread out reference material and sketches! I use my smart phone and little tablet for email and internet browsing, but I still depend upon my computer to do my work.

paperdragon on February 16, 2013 at 11:56 am
    • Hi paperdragon it's good to see you again, Are you still painting? I remember seeing some of your Art Work and thought you had real talent…Was it the Blog Cabin in Waldoboro that you Blogged?
      Yes, I think a desk serves more than one purpose and really doesn't take up that much room. I realize us Females need more space than the Guys do..I really don't like the location of the desk against the Murphy bed, but can be moved to another location..at least the owner will be getting an Original piece of Furniture…I don't think Diy is going to buy a "modern" one like is shown in the People's Choice when they have talented Designers who can build one from the wood they saved when taking down the Cottage.. I really want them to use the Antiques that were purchased from the Owners when buying the Cottage. So many nice Antiques and furnishings..also collectibles..
      Who ever wins this Cottage will find a place for the desk, if not in the F/R, maybe in the Living room area…Could be used as a serving table…Don't really know what's in store for that room yet…But I'm sure there will be a place for the it somewhere in the Cottage, if I Won, I know I would make room somewhere.. Have a good Day!

Jennie/Florida on February 16, 2013 at 1:15 pm
    • In reviewing the 99 photos of the pre-renovated cabin, there is definitely at least one antique table that could be refinished and used as a desk. It would be so pretty all refinished by the magical hands of the DIY team?

Karen_NEOH on February 16, 2013 at 3:36 pm
    • Indeed there is and there's the possibility that the DIY / Megadens craftsmen will make something out of repurposed wood from the old house, maybe even the foundation logs. :D

I just wonder who will be wanting to keep moving furniiture every time the Murphy bed is used. This could be quite often as there are so few bedrooms in the cottage. :)

Clive on February 16, 2013 at 3:44 pm
    • Hi Clive, in your estimation, what size do you think the Family Room is? I'm thinking why can't the Murphy bed stay down all the time and decorate around it and add a really nice divider that can open and close, when company is visiting…That way we wouldn't have to worry about moving furniture all the time for the M/B and the other side will have all the activities..
      If really need be, the divider can be pushed to one side and the bed can go up and you have more room for whatever the room is needed for..What do you think of that idea??

Jennie/Florida on February 16, 2013 at 6:05 pm
    • If it were my house the Murphy bed would be down all the time. Cover it with cushions of different sizes and enjoy a lounge or 40 winks any time.;) It could easily become the 'point of decadence' enhanced with a good coffee in the morning and a good wine or scotch in the evening. :p Of course, the scotch would be after an aperitif while sitting on the upper deck with my wonderful wife watching the sunset over Sea Level. B) Kids will, of course, glued to their various computer games after a hard day swimming, kayaking, sailing and exploring the seashore or the nearby Croatan national Forest: or watching the wild horses on the Shackleford banks. :D

Oh, got carried away there. The room is about 12 x 20 ft. :)

Clive on February 16, 2013 at 9:35 pm
    • Hi Clive, you painted a beautiful picture of you and your family at the Cottage, who knows you might get that chance to experience it all, with your family…
      I don't remember Diy calling that the Family room before, it's always been call the Mega/Den hasn't it?? Anyway I was hoping for a Screened in Mega/porch and use the F/R for a 3rd Bedroom with maybe a powder/room added..That makes 3 bedrooms and 3 baths and 2-1/2 baths and from a sellers point of view it would be a plus…
      I'm sure what ever they do it will be beautiful and what a view for the new Home
      owners..
      Clive I think the Cottage is getting Snow tonight and tomorrow morning, the yard is going to be white in the morning..Can't wait to see it..We have 33 deg for tonight and a wind chill of 27 and I had to cover all of my plants! THIS is Florida???Brrrrrrr

Jennie/Florida on February 16, 2013 at 10:52 pm
    • Jennie, Sound like great suggestions! All along I have been thinking that if I won the BC that I would make the family room my master bedroom as I would like to sleep on the second level, as well as have my own personal water view and balcony. The main down side of this is that there is no en suite bathroom planned. But, that's OK, I don't mind sharing.:D My guests can have the MBR. Of course, like many other bloggers, I would not care to be constantly moving a desk, however, not opposed if it has casters on it, as our very intelligent bloggers have suggested. Just please, don"t let the desk be the one shown…ugh! A thought – why not have both a desk (preferrably on casters) and also the map. After all, when the MB is up, there is going to be quite a bit of empty "wall space," which would probably look better with something on it anyway even if there is a desk there. <3

Boo on February 19, 2013 at 11:46 am
    • Thank you Boo, I think your idea of changing the Family/R to the Master Bedroom with your own Personal deck is a great idea too..What a View from the Bedroom and Balcony, you would feel like you're on vacation all
      the time!!!
      I'm sure Diy will have Designers build a desk out of the saved wood from the Cottage..I don't think they would buy a desk especially an ugly modern one!!!
      I also suggested Casters for easy movement..The desk can be moved anywhere and if Owner doesn't want it in the F/R it can be moved to another room and could be a nice serving table in the living room..I mentioned to someone to leave the Murphy bed down all the time and that way the computer desk wouldn't be a problem and decorate as a bedroom and
      use the other side of the room for the Mega/Den… Endless ideas!!
      Who ever wins this Cozy little Cottage won't worry about the Small Stuff…I know I wouldn't…. Enjoy your Journey to the end of this Great Build and Giveaway!!! Good Luck!

Jennie/Florida on February 19, 2013 at 5:03 pm
    • Wow, Clive. I am transcending by the above picture you paint, which started with the Murphy bed being down all the time! :-) Would want to be careful to not get too close to the railing of the upper deck with all that liquor in our bellies!! LOL

Karen_NEOH on February 17, 2013 at 1:54 pm
    • Me, I would move it gladly any time I had company staying over.

Windsmurf on February 19, 2013 at 10:33 am
    • Hi Karen, can you remember what page # the Antique Table you saw in the Cabin that could be used as a computer table…I saw a nice coffee table # 26 that would make a nice desk if the DIY guys would make longer legs for it and then # 52 might work if it is sturdy enough..
      If it's real Antique Wicker, it will hold a Cow…LOL..I have a 100 yr old Wicker Desk for my computer. It's very solid and weighs a Ton at least to me LOL..
      Hopefully Diy will return many of those nice Antique pieces back to the Cottage, We shall see.. I really hope they are reading our Blogs and hearing our pleas!!! Have a good evening!!

Jennie/Florida on February 17, 2013 at 6:06 pm
    • That is "Seeing" Our pleas!!!

Jennie/Florida on February 17, 2013 at 6:44 pm
    • Hi Jennie, I see the potential for a desk in the same two photos to which you refer. Yes, they would have to lengthen the legs on the coffee table. I love antiques. I especially love the antique chests that I see in some photos. There is also quite a bit of "antique" wood lying around, and we KNOW of the wonders the DIY team can create with scrap wood!

Karen_NEOH on February 17, 2013 at 6:51 pm
    • Clive, you rock!

Lea Whitfield on February 15, 2013 at 5:31 pm
    • There is wisdom in your commentary my friend.

DGustaf on February 15, 2013 at 9:15 pm
    • Hey you can just put what was in the home before the rebuild and I would be happy! I love this house and the property it sits on!! I am in love with this house!! Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on February 19, 2013 at 9:51 am
  7. I love all the choices. I really love the sea shell tiling, but I am concerned about cleaning it, so I voted for the other. I love love love and ADORE where the Blog Cabin is located. Superb!

belindajs on February 15, 2013 at 11:39 am
    • One would likely be no more difficult to keep clean than the other. I let the "scrubbing bubbles" do the work! :-) The seashell tiling is elegant!

Karen_NEOH on February 15, 2013 at 2:54 pm
    • The best solution I have used is a small amount of mild dish detergent and water. It's gentle and shouldn't strip the natural sheen off the shells. I used to fill a sink or tub with soapy water to give my mom's capiz shell lamps (depending on size, and minus lighting fixtures, of course!) a good cleaning every few months. So for a mirror frame, just mix enough in a small bowl or bathroom sink and use a soft cloth, and then rinse the cloth clean to remove any soap residue, followed by a soft dry cloth to dry. Since this is in the lead, I would recommend whoever wins the house also keep a small soft or feather duster under the sink or in the linen closet and do a quick dusting a couple of times a week BEFORE steaming up the bathroom with a hot shower or bath in order to remove any dust/sand that may accumulate so it doesn't set in with the steam and become problematic. Hope this advice helps! ^_^

Shelly313 on February 17, 2013 at 7:54 pm
  8. About voting for the Lighthouse Fresnel choiice****The picture does not depict the true glory of this lamp. If one goes to the + sign on the picture you will see it much better. Also, if one is worried about the brightness of the light it can be installed with a dimmer switch. I am also voting for the Rainman ceiling fan. it looks powerful and with the vaulted ceiling would not be too large. The ability to move a lot of hot humid air could cut down on the use of air conditioning.

Pat Green on February 15, 2013 at 12:10 pm
    • Unless the ceiling fan is abnormaly large, don't they all "blow" the same? Har!
      Between you and several others, I changed my light choice to the Fresnel. Let's hope we can move the world. Only 2nd day of voting, keep the faith.
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on February 15, 2013 at 9:36 pm
    • Hi, Wind Chime Girl, I am certainly no expert on ceiling fans but believe there is some difference in the volume of air different types move around. Anyone know for certain? The fresnel light, ahhh, , how beautiful and significant! Maybe some of the voters not reading the blog are not realizing it's history with lighthouses. I'll indeed be keeping the faith. Pat

Pat Green on February 16, 2013 at 12:49 pm
    • Pat I'm voting for the Rainman ceiling fan too. I really believe my husband is voting against me on that option. He was watching me vote and when I picked that fan he said, "That's the ugly fan".
      I'm learning how you share this site/voting with someone and they quickly betray you!

Mel on February 15, 2013 at 10:06 pm
    • Thank you Mel for your excellent choice. Ugly? Hardly that! I think it looks well designed, very functional and nautical. Husbands!! Don't think there was ever a time when my late husband and I did not split our votes. LOLTake care. Pat

Pat Green on February 16, 2013 at 1:02 pm
  9. Love the lighthouse, but for the shape of the room, I think the compass would work better…. and encourage you to explore all the different parts of the house. As for the Murphy bed…. I'm a map freak, but also a rabid lover of OBX vacations. Based on many great memories, I think what's REALLY needed is a coffee-table height jigsaw puzzle table with a clear sheet of laminate or vinyl (or something) that you can put over the top so the pieces don't move when you have to move the table. Going with the map would allow space for that. I agree that the darts and arts and crafts would be better outside. As for the desk… working at a desk isolates…. people focus on what's on their screen, or whatever they're working on, and generally shut out what's happening around them…. which is the opposite of what I'd want for this room :) .

exlibrisfun on February 15, 2013 at 12:17 pm
  10. Just wanted to let you know I fell in love with the charm and character of the old Blog Cabin. I certainly hope you are going to use most of the lovely old furniture and accessiories that were in it. It would really be shame not to.

Nancye on February 15, 2013 at 12:20 pm
    • Quite a few other bloggers loved the original character, too, Nancye

LLColeman on February 17, 2013 at 4:30 am
    • They usually do put some back in! I hope they do as well. It was just so warm and cozy! They DIY Teams do an amazing job with that. Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on February 19, 2013 at 9:52 am
    • Nancye I think that everyone fell in love with the bc just the way she was, I am included inside outside was gorgeous and when something new was found it was ahh. I hope too they use everything they can, and everytime the winner looks sits use something she will have memories that it was here earlier

bogartandbacall on February 21, 2013 at 11:57 pm