Feb 14

People’s Choice: Vote for Family Room Features

Blog Cabin 2013 People's Choice Family Room Vote

Good morning!

Today we launch the family room vote. Help us select the flooring pattern, lighting fixtures, ceiling treatment and more. We also invite you to vote for our guest suite style, provided by our friends at Good Housekeeping magazine. More info on those three distinct room styles is coming in the days to come!

• Posted at 10:47 am on February 2, 2013

1. Looks absolutely beautiful! Just cast my vote and I'm very interested to see what the results will be when more people vote.

Jacomina Bickham on February 14, 2013 at 6:46 pm
  2. Again, I like all the choices…can go either way. I did see that the lighthouse motif got the least number of votes thus far. I did vote for that 'cause it has significance for NC. On the other hand, I did not vote for NC coastline 'cause i'm not sure everyone would understand that that's what it is….all in all, every single choice is a great one. Thanks for allowing me to vote!

ncsheepfarmer on February 14, 2013 at 6:57 pm
    • Agreeing with you NCSheepfarmer, the Cape Lookout Lighthouse is so special to the area!! and the "Diamond Lady" is in last place……I was hoping she would win. What a beautiful Lighthouse she is, and so close by too.

Mel on February 14, 2013 at 8:43 pm
    • Mel, Can you tell me more about the "Diamond Lady Light House"? Is it an actual landmark? Thank you. Becky:)<3

bythebaydreamer on February 15, 2013 at 2:47 am
    • Becky thanks for asking! Yes the Diamond Lady is a landmark, and has been keeping watch over the Crystal Coast for over 150 years. She is a source of pride and beauty to locals! Her bricks are painted in contrasting black and white diamonds. There are the treacherous Diamond Shoals further north at the Cape Hatteras National Seashore, where many a sailor and ship was lost, earning the area the nickname, "Graveyard of the Atlantic". So her duty as sentry and sentinel, standing proud on the Cape Lookout shore, protecting it's visitors, beaches, and sailors is a special part of NC history. I also believe the contrasting black and white of her design would look beautiful contrasting with the flooring of the BC. Here is a short video on the Diamond Lady http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4JkeUqkFi4

Mel on February 15, 2013 at 6:56 am
    • Hey Mel!!! If you are going to talk about the treacherous waters of the NC coast, surely you're going to talk about NC's history with PIRATES!! Waiting for an update here! You also might want to mention the Maritime Museum in Beaufort…just around the corner from the Blog Cabin!

ncsheepfarmer on February 15, 2013 at 1:47 pm
    • Mel, I really appreciate you sending this to me and the other bloggers. I believe it is really important to maintain the history and tradition. Especially in this beautiful seaside location. My vote is for the lighthouse. If it wins then the stories of the new owner telling each visitor to their home about Diamond Lady will help history live on. Thank you again. Becky^_^<3

bythebaydreamer on February 15, 2013 at 6:29 pm
    • Thanks Becky :)
      I can imagine whoever wins this home, regardless of where they may live now will come to love and be in awe of the "Diamond Lady". I really believe the emblem of the Lighthouse being given a prominent place in the home's design will mean so much more to the winner as they visit the nearby barrier islands, Shackleford Banks, and The Cape Lookout beaches. The "Diamond Lady" is such a beautiful sentinel that has served this area well !

Mel on February 15, 2013 at 7:44 pm
    • Mel, What rich history there!

bythebaydreamer on February 15, 2013 at 8:04 pm
  3. Hi to all, I finally got back home, I was so Anxious to see the P/C's for F/R.. These are my choices and why…
    1) Landing area "Floor Pattern"–I like the Compass hoping who ever installs it, will have it set in the right direction
    2) Family Rm Ceiling "Treatment"—I Like White wash in keeping with the Prior Cottage look
    3) Family Rm Ceiling Fan "style"—I like the Seaside style better than the other two
    4) Powder Rm Wallpaper "color"–Grass Cloth Green because it looks like a Soothing color for a Beach Cottage and don't like Gray!
    5) Guest B/R "style" Good Housekeeping—I liked "Recycle Chic" because it was the only one that came close to the Old Cottage Look and the Antiques would fit right in
    6) Decorative accent for Cupola—I like the Lighthouse Fresnel because it had nice style and would give a mirror light all around and look really neat
    7) Guest Bathroom mirror framing "material"—I think the tile would look better if they chose a soft color to tie in with Guest Bathroom Tub tile if that wins
    8) Murphy Bed underside "design"—I would prefer the Desk area…dartboard can be carried anywhere, only certain people will use a Art's and C/ Rm. Coastal map is nice but could be hung on the wall at the landing.
    9) Landing Area light fixture "style"—Lighthouse Sconce would look great for that area
    10) Guest Bathroom "Tile"—Molten Glass, but wouldn't be unhappy with the Polaris 6×8 if colors are beach-y colors!
    Ok, those are my Pics and Thoughts, I hope the P/C's winners in this around can do justice to this "little Beach Cottage"…..

Jennie/Florida on February 14, 2013 at 7:26 pm
    • Jennie, I'm with you on almost all of your choices.
      Re #2 – I voted today for the woodtone, I guess to appease the voters that didn't get their wish on the MS, I was wrongwrongwrong. Everyone who has written here about the whitewashed tones for a sea cottage is rightrightright. I'll be changing my vote tomorrow.
      Re #6 – I understand the desire for the lighthouse look, but I also like the old Coca Cola bottle/sea glass look of the glass globe. BUT – if (like someone mentioned) they'll put a dimmer switch on it, no worries. In fact, I put dimmers on most of our home's lighting. It's easy!
      Re 7 & 10, the colors should complement each other, not be monochrome, so I agree with you there, too.
      Re 8 – my love of maps has been made clear already. Any little table/desk for whatever can be set aside to let down the murphy bed, but having the coastal map there would be really nice – if it's accurate and if it's for the area!
      Thanks for your comments, Jennie

Wind Chime Girl on February 14, 2013 at 10:29 pm
    • Hi Wind Chime Girl, my pleasure! I was thinking that if the desk won, maybe Diy could purchase a desk with rollers that locked, that way the desk would be easier to move around the room when the Murphy bed is needed..
      I think the dark wood tone ceiling is wonderful in a mountain Cabin in the woods, but for a Seaside Cottage, the whitewash is going to brighten up the rooms…These rooms aren't really big, so white will make them look bigger and the dark wood, would make them look smaller and darker I might add.
      Did you look at the before Pics of the Cottage and notice how light the rooms were? This is what I was hoping for the rebuilt Cottage…I loved the Cottage the way it looked before and it would be very disappointing if Diy and Designers didn't try to bring back all the Charm and History it had to begin
      with. Also use Decor that will go with the Antique furniture and Collectibles that belonged to the passed Owners…Maybe they will add a Map of the Area as a bonus. Love nice surprises, don't you?

Jennie/Florida on February 14, 2013 at 11:45 pm
    • Sorry my comments skipped so much!! Don't know why!!!..

Jennie/Florida on February 14, 2013 at 11:49 pm
    • Yes, they edit comments out of the posts. They don't have my reply to you that I had posted earlier about the desk, or your reply to me. I remember that happening in other blogs before.

paperdragon on February 17, 2013 at 3:48 pm
    • Good point on the locking castors. I changed my voting today to go with the whitewash for all the reasons made in the blog. I did look at the before pics and I loved the whole interior of the old place. I actually was quite amazed at how wonderful interior looked considering what issues the outside had. I wonder how many of the old things the owners left behind for DIY? Anyway, surprises? You bet.

Wind Chime Girl on February 15, 2013 at 1:01 pm
    • Jennie, I replied to you but I don't see it here. I don't want to repeat myself in case it shows up, but I agree with so much of what you said. Yes, love surprises. WCG

Wind Chime Girl on February 15, 2013 at 9:24 pm
    • What I guess I don't understand about the Murphy Bed option is why, in a BEACH CABIN RETREAT, everyone wants the work station/desk???? When my kids were young, we used to do arts and crafts at the dining room table since we didn't have a dedicated area for it, but I would've given my eye teeth to have an area especially for the great family times available around the glue gun (lo-temp, of course! lol). And I'm hoping that the supplies ARE secured (or the storage bins are on casters for mobility) for easier Murphy bed use. Although, it would be an easy fix if they're not.

Treat & Re-Treat on February 15, 2013 at 9:16 am
    • I would guess because most people want to live here, not just use as a beach cabin. Either way, It is still nice to have a place for the computer and to pay bills, send out invitations, cards, and other corespondence.

Windsmurf on February 15, 2013 at 10:03 am
    • I completely agree, Windsmurf! If I were lucky enough to win this beautiful cottage, I would live here year-round (and go more inland to visit family/friends or take vacations during hurricane season haha). But even if the cottage is used mostly as a retreat, it will be nice to have a small area where one can sit to pay bills, get online, or just to write (which is what I would be doing at night or when the weather isn't good enough to sit outdoors). This cottage and location is just too nice, and the DIY team is putting in so much work for this to be just for limited use only…generations of Robinson's lived here year-round and I am soooo ready to "retreat" permanently to the coastline just as they did! :D

Shelly313 on February 16, 2013 at 2:53 pm
    • Hi Jennie, I also got back home last night, glad you made it home safely too! Like Wind Chime Girl, I will be changing one of my votes because of your insight! I love the Compass and they will most likely set it right. I started with the stained Ceiling for a "warm" room, but you are right about the prior cottage look, so I will be voting White Wash from here on out! I love the Rainman Ceiling Fan, the Grass Cloth Green Wallpaper and the G.H. "Recycle Chic". I'm torn on the decorative accent for the Cupola; I like both the Lighthouse Fresnel and the Glass Globe; I'm choosing the Globe because it reminds me of sea glass and would give off a nice soft glow, but I would be happy with either! I agree on the tiles for the mirror, they will complement the gorgeous Molten Glass tiles better than the shell frame. I also felt the Desk area would be a better choice; adds functionality and great use of the space! I am drawn to the Edison Sconce because of how simple and bright it would be on the landing; but either would look great! I can't wait to see the finished cottage! :D

Shelly313 on February 16, 2013 at 2:40 pm
    • The worst thing ever is having to move everything when you put down the Murphy Bed, and then move it all back when the Murphy Bed is put up! I am speaking from experience here!

Leslynf on February 20, 2013 at 2:22 pm
  4. I don't know if anyone else feels the same, but the 'Family Room' voting seemed disjointed, I'm confused as to where the Family Room came into this vote?

MomGrandma on February 14, 2013 at 8:15 pm
    • I agree these are random items from all over the house, I suppose they have their own ideas and dont want us to interfere too much with their design.

zulumom on February 15, 2013 at 7:19 am
  5. Voter's are you shore I can't change your votes on two items?
    The landing area flooring pattern—that lighthouse is what locals refer to as the "Diamond Lady", she sits on the nearby Cape Lookout National Seashore. Can't we all come to the seaclusion that she would look beachy keen in this home, and represent the area magnificently? And the Lighthouse Fresnel for the Cupola is perfect ! The BC exterior design is so reminiscent of the beautiful Roanoke Marshes Lighthouse in Manteo, NC, the Fresnel light would be the perfect touch to complete the look.
    Water you say voters? Shell I stop trying to sway the vote? or continue to ask for your kelp? I guess I will have to just to waite' N sea if anyone will change their vote, and keep me from becoming a real crab.
    Whale, Regardless the items up for vote are Amazing! not only perfect for a beach home, but especially for one that sits on the Southern Outer Banks of NC !

Mel on February 14, 2013 at 8:30 pm
    • LOL Mel

karenlin91 on February 14, 2013 at 8:41 pm
    • Just LOVE IT, Mel! Agree about the fresnel–only way to go! Love the Diamond Lady–BUT–I voted for the Compass Rose, because of what and where it is going–the landing. The only aesthetically well-rounded and balanced visual for me. I could see the beautiful lighthouse on a wall hanging, but not walked upon on the floor. Just my thought. What's making me crabby is all the contemporary stuff being foisted upon us! The current winning desk in front of Murphy bed is a lot to move around every time the bed is dropped! Need a desk space for computer–but somewhere else. shouldn't have to move furniture around to open Murphy!!! I'm voting for the Outer Banks Map–Very customary in oceanside cottages! Will work with antiques that belonged to the Robinson Family. To me, anything I can do to position this cabin to bring back its original pieces of history–I'm keeping that in mind with every vote, being mindful that lots of our vote choices include very contemporary items… I keep that in mind while voting. :) When I was reading your post, Mel, I half expected NEMO to swim by, swish his tail fins with greatest approval of your creative writing skill!!! LOL!;)B):*<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on February 14, 2013 at 9:48 pm
    • I agree with you even though I think it might be a fold away desk that they build. I am voting for the map and the lighthouse could be reflected in the art work.

zulumom on February 15, 2013 at 7:01 am
    • Yea…I second that about Mel's writing skills…but I'm still waiting to hear him tell about the former PIRATES on the NC coast!

ncsheepfarmer on February 15, 2013 at 1:51 pm
    • Ok….tired of waiting! Here's a link: http://www.northcarolinahistory.org/encyclopedia/

ncsheepfarmer on February 15, 2013 at 2:13 pm
    • Ahoy Matey NCSheepfarmer and thanks for the link!

Thar be a fair amount of pirates on this blog, some old salts, some fresh buccaneers. LLColeman got us started off 'round Thanksgiving this past year with our first Pirate bash on the blog in honor of this years BC location, and DBCoop wrote an excellent pirate story not long after.
      Yer right the NC coast has quite a history with pirates! Possibly at some point we will have another Pirate party here on the blog. If we do, please chime in with us and enjoy the virtual grog we drink and sing along with us,
      "Yo Ho Ho, it's a pirate's life for me!

Mel on February 15, 2013 at 7:18 pm
    • There you go, NCSheepfarmer! Mel has a pirate's heart—well, actually, she's like the rest of us–any thing we can use to excuse a great Bloggie party and Mel will plunge ahead with the lead ideas. :D ;)
      Thanks for the great link about NC history! B)^_^ Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on February 15, 2013 at 10:15 pm
    • Oh Dear. Is Mel short for Melanie?? Sorry 'bout that Mel. If I don't know the gender, I usually use the masculine. That's how we were taught (in the dark ages), but my understanding is that there has been some discussion of using a gender neutral pronoun. Kudos to that!

ncsheepfarmer on February 16, 2013 at 4:11 pm
    • NCSheepfarmer there was no harm done at all in thinking me male! ( Mel) –your reasoning makes perfect sense!
      The story of how I named myself Mel:
      I knew I wanted a short blog name that could be thought of as a nickname for proper names of both genders. Mel allows for that, but in truth the biggest reason for my blog name is the word, Melancholy. I asked myself before I ever blogged this question, "How are you going to feel when someone else wins this home" The word that kept popping up in my head was melancholy. I shortened that word to Mel.
      Every year when I don't win the BC I feel like I picked a good blogger name, because I do feel really, really melancholy……….but thankfully my melancholy only lasts until DIY announces the next project.

Mel on February 16, 2013 at 6:24 pm
    • LOL! That's the most convoluted, best, most usable excuse to wile the time between Blog Cabin announcements for winner to new Blog Cabin startups…well, you know just what I mean. Whatever, Mel! :D LOVE your excuse for the name Mel! Ol' Bill Shakespeare was right when he penned, "there's method in their madness…"xDB)<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on February 16, 2013 at 9:03 pm
    • Good Luck to anyone trying to figure out how my brain works.
      Kitty I do enjoy humor on the blog along with the serious, so I took a chance with playing around with words to ask for votes.
      I think my post did cause a few chuckles, but unfortunately the votes are the same :(

Mel on February 17, 2013 at 8:21 am
    • So funny, Mel ! It almost makes me want to vote ! ( I just feel too discouraged, either with choices or with the fact that majority of voters just stop by and put in votes, without reading bloggers' opinions or checking out the blog or area surroundings.) it is only a happy accident when a few of the items I choose actually win. :x

LLColeman on February 15, 2013 at 4:47 am
    • Thanks guys for the replies!
      I gave it a mighty heave ho to try and sway the vote. It might be my age, and having grown up using Apple products, but when I look at the compass design all I think of is my Apple Safari browser symbol, it's a compass! It doesn't take me back to sailing days, or make me think NC maritime history….oh well it's off to a strong lead…I guess there are worse things to be reminded of than surfing the internet when you look at that landing :)

Mel on February 15, 2013 at 7:49 am
    • I don't really care for the visual that the lighthouse presents, but my choice of the shoreline isn't popular either, so what do I know? But I am with you 100% on the fresnel light, the globe is attractive enough, but the Fresnel is totally unique and would really add a lot to the overall look and feel of the cabin. I'll keep voting for it.

Windsmurf on February 15, 2013 at 10:08 am
    • LOL Mel and Kitty!!! You both just made my day filled with laughter! :D

Shelly313 on February 16, 2013 at 3:19 pm
    • You've got my votes in line! Fun writing.

RLD on February 17, 2013 at 3:07 pm
    • Sweet!!
      RDL thank you for changing your vote, and taking the time to blog and tell me.
      That shore is nice of you!

Mel on February 17, 2013 at 8:33 pm
    • I'm with you Mel on the lighthouse. I love Cape Lookout. Went there late summer of last year when they had it open for climbing to the top. What a breathtaking view to see the inlet and ocean at the same time. That has been my vote from the beginning.

barbara59nc on February 19, 2013 at 11:20 am
    • Well Barbara those of us that know the awesomeness of the "Diamond Lady" tried our best!
      I'm hoping the designers for BC will still find a creative way to show her off.
      Perhaps a bookcase built in her form, or a custom table top, light, or lamp….
      A picture of her hanging on the wall would be to ordinary, she deserves more!

Mel on February 19, 2013 at 5:48 pm
    • Mel, LOVED your post….it is priceless! I originally voted for the lighthouse as I remembered reading about it but changed my mind thinking the compass would fill in the space better. I have been voting for the Fresnel from day one so I agree with that choice. Thanks for the great post it was very entertaining! What a creative mind you have!
      Windee :)

Windee :) on February 19, 2013 at 8:26 pm
    • Thanks Windee for the kind comments!
      I hope you are doing well. I haven't heard if there are alpacas at this years location?
      It has been a long time since I have visited the Crystal Coast, but the last time I was around the Atlantic, NC coastal region visiting beaches white tail deer came out of the nearby tree lines and strolled on the beaches too! I haven't seen anyone blog about that, so it might not happen now. My husband was raised near Lake Mattamuskeet in Swan Quarter, NC which is a birders paradise and also on the NC coast. Now when we visit the coast we tend to go to areas where his family lives. This years location reminds me of my youth. We took family vacations to locations not far from the BC. There is a great deal of NC history, and even American history in this area to be enjoyed.
      Continued Happy voting & blogging to you!

Mel on February 20, 2013 at 7:28 am
    • mel i read your votes and you changed my vote re: flooring. How proud to display it. It would be like our displaying our flag and being very proud. and the fresnel i loved it before i knew what it represented and now I am very proud of it. What makes me sad it looks like both will not get a chance to be displayed in our bc but as always there is hope.

bogartandbacall on February 21, 2013 at 11:37 pm
  6. Hey Bloggers,
    I am signing in a bit late today. I only pinned 7 pics today of the Blog Cabin but here is the link if you didn't get to check in during the day. http://pinterest.com/christinambruns/blog-cabin-2… May you all have a peaceful evening.
    Chris – IN

chris50555 on February 14, 2013 at 9:27 pm
    • Thank you Chris. Have a restful evening as well. Becky

bythebaydreamer on February 15, 2013 at 2:50 am
    • Great pics, Chris. As often as I check the cam I never manage to see the cool activity that you pick up in your pics. Guess my timing is off! :-) Thanks much.

Karen_NEOH on February 15, 2013 at 1:37 pm
    • Karen,
      I have no life so I am on the Cabin Cam all day long. My son says I am a DIY stalker. LoL Just Kidding. Have a great afternoon.

chris50555 on February 15, 2013 at 2:13 pm
    • Great pictures on Pinterest, Stalker Chris! :D Your Son has a funny sense of humor. Please tell him what a help and how deeply meaningful your stalking habit has become to me and several others on our blog. Whatever would we do without you now? <3:*<3:p<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on February 15, 2013 at 11:31 pm
    • LOL ! Don't know which is funnier, Chris, the idea that we can admit we have no life, OR that we are a DIY stalker! :-)

Karen_NEOH on February 16, 2013 at 12:32 am
    • Thanks Chris! Hope you had a great Valentine's Day.:D Judy

JudyInMich on February 15, 2013 at 5:07 pm
    • Thanks Chris you too! Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on February 19, 2013 at 9:48 am
    • Thank You for posting the pictures…Looks like the roof is on. Looks like they put wood or plywood over the weather barrier?
      Thanks Again,
      Windee :)

Windee :) on February 19, 2013 at 8:35 pm
  7. I am having trouble with the voting. It is starting me on question #8. I think I will shut down and try again. I don't want to miss any votes.
    Chris – IN

chris50555 on February 14, 2013 at 9:35 pm
    • Hi Chris, it did the same thing to me and it took logging off and back on twice before it started from the beginning…it was probably a glitch from everyone eager to log on and start this round of voting! :)

Shelly313 on February 16, 2013 at 3:21 pm
  8. I hope that while people are voting that the location of the cabin is remembered. This is a coastal area and while the dark colored wood is beautiful in a mountain or lakeside retreat looks out of place steps away from the seaside. Light and airy should be the look and feel.

sandiiowa on February 14, 2013 at 10:14 pm
    • I agree, sandiiowa, I'm changing my voting tomorrow and I'm already sorry for the votes I cast today for the woodtone. I hope everyone reads this blog to understand the reasoning for the votes. Then they'll have a better understanding of the choices. I'm from N/C Texas and don't get the coastal thing, but I'm learning. We can disagree by our votes and that's really cool. DIY has not given us any awful choices – they are very clever there. No matter what, this BC will be spectacular.

Wind Chime Girl on February 14, 2013 at 10:55 pm
  9. Ohhh my! Some of the coastal ambiance is beginning to fade. Whitewashed ceilings would keep the room from becoming drab and recycled chic is the closest to the original decor. Sure hope they don't lose sight of what was so appealing at the outset….

sandyK on February 14, 2013 at 10:58 pm
    • Is it just my older eyes–or am I seeing too much contemporary, metal, strait lines that will clash with the Victorian/Edwardian charm of this Cabin's former Family antiques that were to be returned to their home? Aaargh!?:$:|<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on February 15, 2013 at 3:55 pm
    • Kitty your eyes are not deceiving you. I am seeing it too.:S

JudyInMich on February 15, 2013 at 4:19 pm
    • Whitewashed ceilings are my choice also, don't know why the wood beams are winning… But the recyled chic has a comfortable lead :)

Mimitheminer on February 15, 2013 at 5:58 pm
    • Hi Mimi, I think people get on line and vote but they don't Blog! So most of the votes are just what the voters pick and they don't read our comments so they don't really know how these things will look in
      the Cottage…I really think Diy should make a rule that the Voters have to read the comments before they are allowed to vote, but I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen…I think it ruins the whole concept of "You Design it, We build it, You could win it.".The Bloggers have little effect on the outcome because non bloggers are just voting everyday!! We Bloggers are the ones Here everyday and trying to choose the People's Choice that will better suit the Cottage….Just My Thoughts!

Jennie/Florida on February 15, 2013 at 6:33 pm
    • This is turning dreadfully scary to me, Jennie! The votes are taking this place into modern chic and losing the charm from the turn of century Edwardian vacation cabin! The photo examples of choices are mostly of modern, contemporary items!!! What gives here? i'm resisting an urge to turn tail and run! Not happy with what's happening. Your idea that all voters must read blog is great–too bad the DIY network won't ever agree to that, IMO. Boo-Hoo!:$:'( o.0 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on February 15, 2013 at 11:16 pm
    • I am with you, Kitty….I am really disheartened at the choices and contemporary direction this beach home seems to be headed …I don't even want to vote any more. It was heartbreaking to fall in love with the cabin's original interior and realize all would be changed…then, in spite of best efforts, the home had to be demolished. The choices seem to be ok with some of the bloggers, and there is no way to make everyone 100 % happy, I realize.
      The only person who seems to have been reading blogger comments is Mr. Eastman, and he probably has no influence on interior design of the home. The ceiling can be whitewashed if the winner does not like it, but beams will make ceilings lower and some people do not seem to consider that. Years of asking for universal access seem to have no impact, and our feedback on design choices just seem like shouting in the Carolina winds….:p o.0

LLColeman on February 17, 2013 at 4:20 am
    • One would think it is just common sense to have a beach side home light bright and airy? If they are going to put back the antiques….should keep with that theme right through out the home, while keeping it light and bright as it is a coastal retreat. Another consideration should be products that are easy to maintain. A beach side home can wind up with a lot of sand so the floors etc need to be easy to maintain. JMHO. Perhaps Jennie is on to something here???What are people thinking?

Windee :) on February 19, 2013 at 9:00 pm
  10. Interesting selection! The modern thrown in just doesn't fit. Love the whitewash ceiling treatment…cooler in summer and more light in winter. Love the recycle chic theme like others have said to bring back the cabin atmosphere. The lighthouse fresnel lens for the cupola is just perfect! The molten glass for the pawder room is beautiful and being translucent will not swear at other colors like the old baby blue ceramic tile. Scubbing bubbles will take care of cleaning the shell frame. The desk area should not be on the backside of the Murphy bed! Way too much stuff to move to bring the bed down and when the bed is down you lose the computer space. I can hear the arguments now.

Grammagail on February 14, 2013 at 11:30 pm
    • I agree! Keep it simple and less to move when guests come to visit is better! Becky :) <3

bythebaydreamer on February 15, 2013 at 2:53 am
    • The molten glass is for the upstairs guest room not the powder room (mirror frame and wallpaper)

zulumom on February 15, 2013 at 7:06 am
    • I meant guest bathroom not guestroom.

zulumom on February 15, 2013 at 7:07 am
    • Regarding the computer desk – talk about a weird juxtaposition of MODERN (which would be on display whenever the bed is not in use) in the midst of the seaside cabin retreat! And of course, it's not even an antique-y looking desk, but about as modernistic and industrial as can be. I think it would stick out like a sore pinky, and negate all the conscious efforts many are making in their design choices to be mindful of the setting, the ambiance, and the history of THIS particular blog cabin.

Treat & Re-Treat on February 15, 2013 at 9:28 am
    • The vote is for a desk area, not necessarily the particular items displayed. The desk could be made from recycled wood or other items and could have casters so it could be moved whenever necessary. The murphy bed would be closed the majority of the time, so allowing for a work space is a good idea in my opinion. I'll continue to vote for the desk area.

Windsmurf on February 15, 2013 at 10:18 am
    • :) I really hope you're right on that, Windsmurf–I'm seeing lots of contemporary-leaning illistrations, from which we are voting, and I'm holding my breath hoping the REAL thing is going to be cohesive with the charming antiques which came with this antique cabin–starting to make me nervous….just a tad!:$:|<3Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on February 15, 2013 at 11:40 pm
    • I'm switching to the molten glass and trusting you that it won't swear at other colors like the old baby blue ceramic that drove me nuts ;-)

karenlin91 on February 15, 2013 at 11:02 am
    • LOL Grammagail and karenlin91! I think once the molten glass is installed it will be absolutely gorgeous and reminiscent of the ocean…and definitely not overwhelming or swearing at other colors like blue ceramic tiles! And if it's the shade shown in the expanded pic (not the thumbnail pic), then we should easily be able to find complimentary shades of colors that will go very well with the molten glass should we feel the need to do so in the future! ;)

Shelly313 on February 16, 2013 at 3:28 pm
    • Grammagail: I don't mind modern thrown in with recycle chic…it's all about the lines and the visual. I am not an interior decorator…well, the sheep think I am since I build their sheds….but practically all humans would say that I am not an interior decorator. Nevertheless, I think both modern and chic together can possibly still give you a feel of comfort, without being slouchy. Perhaps the modern can dress things up a little. All good choices for the cabin..it's how you mix'em!

ncsheepfarmer on February 15, 2013 at 1:58 pm
    • You will have to forgive me on my anti modern stance. I just couldn't stand it on the first time round in the fifties and sixties and I am afraid my dislike of it has not gone away. That often translates into my choices.

Grammagail on February 17, 2013 at 12:41 pm
    • I was looking for Murphy beds a while back and saw one where the desk area was to the side and part of the framing. Don't know what they have planned.

JudyInMich on February 15, 2013 at 4:25 pm
    • SOOOO agree with the Murphy bed backside choice. You were right on when you mentioned the desk choice is restricting… too much stuff to move when you want to use the bed for a guest. I am new at this , so bear with me as a new blogger. good Luck to all, and keep blogging!

trish on February 16, 2013 at 5:56 pm
    • Seems that you're doing just great on your very own, Trish! Welcome to the Blog! :) Of course, I also agree !00 % with you too–And good luck back at ya! xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on February 16, 2013 at 9:17 pm