Feb 14

People’s Choice: Vote for Family Room Features

Blog Cabin 2013 People's Choice Family Room Vote

Good morning!

Today we launch the family room vote. Help us select the flooring pattern, lighting fixtures, ceiling treatment and more. We also invite you to vote for our guest suite style, provided by our friends at Good Housekeeping magazine. More info on those three distinct room styles is coming in the days to come!

• Posted at 10:47 am on February 2, 2013

1. Yay! A new vote.
    I had a very hard time with #8, trying to decide between the desk area or the dartboard. Both are great choices. If only we could have both!

Summer on February 14, 2013 at 1:57 pm
    • A dart board could go up out on the porch….just a thought;-)

karenlin91 on February 14, 2013 at 2:26 pm
    • A dart board would be easy and cheap to purchase at a later date! I keep that kind of thought process when going through the choices. For Example: in the last round I loved the idea of a heated floor and know it would be more costly and time-consuming to install…and I have always wanted a heated towel rack…so I voted on the heated floor and know I can easily (and a lot more cheaply) go out and buy the heated towel rack and plug it in myself! Hope this thought process helps! ^_^

Shelly313 on February 17, 2013 at 10:47 am
    • ? <DIV>My thoughts exactly, on the dart board, and on the heated floor also! </DIV> <DIV style=”FONT: 10pt arial”>

karenlin91 on February 18, 2013 at 11:38 am
    • The computer desk could go in the master bedroom – oh wait, you don't want the work station in a sleeping area, do you? Even if it IS just a Murphy Bed, this is looking to serve as a sleeping area, so we should keep that in mind. Besides, isn't this particular workstation/desk a bit modernistic for this beautiful retreat? I know, we feel we cannot survive if we aren't plugged in – but isn't the whole purpose of this cabin to get away and relax? Not saying we can't have access, but does it have to be so blatantly apparent? Besides, with laptops, notebooks, iphones, etc. and wireless connectivity, our electronica no longer require such a dedicated space. We can truly have the best of both worlds – modern convenience with charming ambiance. I don't think the desk area accomplishes that.

Treat & Re-Treat on February 15, 2013 at 9:44 am
  2. I like the fresnel lighthouse light too, the light it would give off would be so pretty shining back into the hallway and out side at the same time.
    I like the americana colors for the up stairs, and what goes with that choice, reminds me of the rooms in the old cottage.
    The sea shells around the mirror and the molten glass would look great with the old dresser sink they had in the bathroom before, I hope they put it back into the new bathroom.
    I am not sure what I would like for under the Murray bed, that depends on how much stuff I would have to move every time I wanted to put the bed down. If that was the thing then I'll vote for the map, but for that area of the room I would love to see an art area there. Think of it as a kids room or even an area that can hold the supply for the painting that could take place sitting up there looking out at the water. Or maybe just working on your photo or scrap booking or maybe knitting too. That desk could also be used for computer work area.
    So depends on what going on up there really, but again I wouldn't want to move all that stuff just to pull down the bed.

home_girl on February 14, 2013 at 2:02 pm
    • I was thinking the same thing that it would be work to pull down the bed if you had to move things every time you used it. With all the family and friends that would be there visiting, it is not very practical.

peachdoctor on February 14, 2013 at 2:16 pm
    • Agreed! I'm surprised to see the desk option is in the lead, since the thought of having to clear my desk every time I had guests sounds like a lot of work. Not to mention having to find a place to put everything.
      An art area might work if the cabinets are built in such a way as to anchor everything when the bed is pulled down for use. Otherwise, the same problem as mention for the desk would occur with an art area.
      I thought about the dart board, but decided I'd rather have it on the porch so any wild darts would be less likely to do harm to people or things.
      I finally decided on the coastal map for convenience and it would be kinda nice to have a large map of the area for guests to view. :)

Moving2theCoast on February 14, 2013 at 6:48 pm
    • Some people are not thinking about practicality….I agree that the map is best 'cause moving things every time you needed to use the bed is a pain in the butt – ckf

Carol Kay on March 3, 2013 at 12:04 pm
    • I like maps, of all kinds so I voted for the coastal map (and the compass on the flooring, of course). I can't imagine the grief of trying to upset a desk/art area to put the Murphy bed down. A dartboard (no matter how fancy) ?? Really?

Wind Chime Girl on February 14, 2013 at 9:46 pm
    • I agree Wind Chime Girl…even though I love to throw darts, I just can't picture a dartboard fitting in that room. I have seen a Murphy bed/desk combo where the desk was stationary and the bed looked like a cabinet next to it, and also where the desktop 'floats' when the bed is drawn down so that nothing has to be moved. I wish we could see a picture of the actual design they have in mind so that it could really help with this particular vote. =/

Shelly313 on February 17, 2013 at 10:54 am
    • As far as art for kids the screen in porch (if they dont give us one I am sure the new owner will screen it) will be perfect with a nice polywood picnic table where the kids can paint shells or rocks while I sip sweet tea on the swing.

zulumom on February 15, 2013 at 7:17 am
    • I agree with the shells around the mirror, I love that a light and bright bathroom. I thought the look of the coast line map for the family room Murphy bed was fun and more practical.

Lia_M on February 16, 2013 at 11:15 am
  3. This is a coast cottage, not a rustic, woodsy, mountain retreat. What''s with the dark wooden ceiling vote winning? Whitewash all the way – like the original house and to match the other rooms from the previous vote. :)

Ally on February 14, 2013 at 2:29 pm
    • Agree!

peachdoctor on February 14, 2013 at 5:26 pm
    • Me too!

karenlin91 on February 14, 2013 at 6:42 pm
    • ditto

Bev on February 14, 2013 at 6:47 pm
    • U said it sister!!!

sandiiowa on February 14, 2013 at 10:17 pm
    • I think because they show the dark wood ceiling, people are voting for that. I like the whitewash, it fits more with the house. imo

vicki_in_Utah on February 14, 2013 at 10:23 pm
    • The good news is if the wood rustic wins and if like us the owner would have prefered the white; it could be still done then.

zulumom on February 15, 2013 at 7:27 am
    • UGH to painting ceilings! :-) lol

Karen_NEOH on February 15, 2013 at 1:50 pm
    • Add me to the list of those agreeing with you!

Hazelnut Deb on February 15, 2013 at 12:33 pm
    • Hi Ally, please add me to Your list too, I don't understand why the Voters who loved this Cottage on the Water
      to start with and thought it looked so Cozy and inviting. The Antiques were so beautiful and everything about this Cottage showed Love, Laughter, Happiness throughout the Cottage…
      Why would the voters want to change the whole look of the Cottage and turn it into something it wasn't to start with???Just My Thoughts…

Jennie/Florida on February 15, 2013 at 1:15 pm
    • I agree, Jennie, I really think (and I know I have said this before) that the picture they show, is the one that usualy wins, I think they should change the picture of the celing to the whitwash beems. IMO

vicki_in_Utah on February 15, 2013 at 1:58 pm
    • Totally agree!

Karen_NEOH on February 15, 2013 at 2:36 pm
    • Agree!

JudyInMich on February 15, 2013 at 4:26 pm
    • Agree! Ditto! Me too!

Lia_M on February 16, 2013 at 11:16 am
    • I agree!!!

Steel Magnolia on February 16, 2013 at 4:50 pm
    • I agree, I love the whitewash!

Charlotte on February 19, 2013 at 12:49 pm
    • Couldn't agree more. I couldn't figure out why people would want dark wood! This is a beach cottage, should be light, bright and airy!

Windee :) on February 19, 2013 at 7:54 pm
  4. Thanks, Mary!
    Wonderful new choices. Way to go DIY team!
    Molten glass beautiful. Compass floor terrific idea.
    Agree with comments for whitewash. As Ally correctly put it: This is a coastal cottage.
    Also, agree with those practical comments against clutter beneath a bed requiring to be pulled down.
    Note: Freshnel, though exceptionally nice, can be very bright. I prefer the look of coke seaglass.
    Commenter, Windsmurf, on possible difficulty of bulb replacement for Edison was a good point that I had not considered.
    Great Choices! Very Good comments!

Lester B. on February 14, 2013 at 3:26 pm
    • Lester, Maybe the fresnel light could put on a dimmer. Softer for atmosphere and romantic evenings, brighter for task lighting(reading, sewing etc,) and fresnel bright for dark, stormy nights. What do you think? I think the glass globe light is beautiful but maybe a little landlubber trying to make it nautical-ish.

Pat Green on February 14, 2013 at 5:39 pm
    • I like the dimmer idea, and keeping that beautiful fresnel light with all possibilities open.

karenlin91 on February 14, 2013 at 6:44 pm
  5. I am very concerned about one item – I LOVE the compass inlay, but notice that the directions are inverted! I feel so lost!

PurpleStar9 on February 14, 2013 at 4:06 pm
    • It can be rotated . . .

Wind Chime Girl on February 14, 2013 at 4:46 pm
    • Sorry, that sounded a little snarkey. What I meant was – I believe it can be rotated, right?
      There, that sounds better.

Wind Chime Girl on February 14, 2013 at 4:54 pm
    • I LOVE the word "snarkey". I actually have not heard that one before (guess I don't get out enough). There are times when I think I could make good use of that word! LOL :-)

Karen_NEOH on February 14, 2013 at 6:25 pm
    • I don't know where I got that word, but I meant that my comment sounded snippy. I'm sure I've heard "snarkey" before, but maybe it's my own play on words. Who knows. I might have to look it up. But – use it all you want. It does sound like it could be useful!
      I hope that it doesn't mean snakey and dark. I wasn't in that noir mood when I used it, just sorry that I sounded snippy – you know- snarkey!

Wind Chime Girl on February 14, 2013 at 9:58 pm
    • you are too funny, WC girl! :-)

Karen_NEOH on February 15, 2013 at 2:14 pm
    • I didn't hear that as snarkey, no harm done! It just struck me wierd that it's competely inversed when I saw it – like seeing a reflected image. Anyhow, since it's my favorite choice, I was hoping that they'd actually have it align however the Direcitons lay – how cool would that be?!

PurpleStar9 on February 15, 2013 at 1:43 pm
    • I'm sure they will orient it properly when they put it in.

Mimitheminer on February 14, 2013 at 4:54 pm
    • I noticed that too, but I was hoping that meant that they wouold orient the compass inlay to the actual compass alignment for where the inlay was placed – North would point to the actual north, etc. That would make up for not getting the coastline inlay.

Windsmurf on February 14, 2013 at 5:14 pm
    • You'd get the coastline inlay on the coastal map on the wall side of the murphy bed! Would that help?

Wind Chime Girl on February 14, 2013 at 10:00 pm
    • No, It looks line that option is not going to win anyway. That's OK, I have a map of the outer banks already framed, I'll just take that along with me;)

Windsmurf on February 15, 2013 at 9:41 am
    • A positive outlook!

Wind Chime Girl on February 15, 2013 at 12:54 pm
    • I'm assuming by 'landing area' they mean the floor immediately at the top of the stairs. If so the compass is drawn correctly as you would be facing south as you reach the top of the stairs. :)

Clive on February 15, 2013 at 12:18 am
    • I pictured the landing as the space at the bottom of the stairs, we'll just have to wait and see.

Windsmurf on February 15, 2013 at 9:42 am
    • Either way, top or bottom of the stairs, the compass is drawn correctly for the house. ;) Ascending the stairs at the top south is directly in front. Descending also at the bottom south is directly in front. Of course, if you're coming from the foyer or the kitchen it's 90 degrees out. :D o.0

Clive on February 15, 2013 at 3:23 pm
    • LOL Clive and Windsmurf! I always thought 'landing' was top of the stairs, but then I could see this at the bottom…or just to throw things off a bit…how about the halfway point where the stairs turn? :o How about this idea…the coastal inlay in the foyer, the compass at the turn of the stairs, and the lighthouse at the top? That should satisfy everyone for sure! ^_^

Shelly313 on February 17, 2013 at 11:07 am
    • Fun idea to have many inlays but there's no room for it at the turn of the stairs as they have stairs all around the turn, no landing. :)

Clive on February 17, 2013 at 12:43 pm
    • Bummer! For some reason I didn't catch that the stairs continued in a wedge shape around the turn. I thought I had seen a before and after pic and it appeared flat, but now I can't find that pic, but now I see the lines in the floorplans. Oh well, I tried! :D

Shelly313 on February 17, 2013 at 11:12 pm
    • me too

coolsmiley on June 24, 2013 at 3:57 pm
    • So it would – good eye for detail!, thank you, Clive! I am a nor'easter / former life guard, looking to relocate to be a beach girl again (I was born in California)! Any directional clues would be much appreciated! :;)

PurpleStar9 on February 15, 2013 at 1:49 pm
    • I thought the landing was the space after the first set of steps at the turn before going up the second set of steps.

Windee :) on February 19, 2013 at 8:12 pm
  6. Very interesting choices this round. I went with the recycled chic theme, because I think that is the style that will allow the most use of the items from the original house, and keep some of the character that we all loved. The fact we are not voting on a sink makes me hope they will indeed re-use the dresser vanity that was in the house. I like the Fresnel also. Chose the shell mirror surround and had a really really hard time choosing between the molten glass (which I love) and the other one, which seems to have a kind of shell-like or mother-of-pearl look to it. I would be happy with either choice.

Mimitheminer on February 14, 2013 at 4:10 pm
    • Oh, I hope they use that vanity too…I love it

karenlin91 on February 14, 2013 at 8:36 pm
  7. OK, I hd to look up Polaris tile – it's the plain white field tile, the decorative accent I was looking at is a different thing. So I'm going with the glass :)

Mimitheminer on February 14, 2013 at 4:17 pm
    • So… do you think the mother of pearl inlay shown in the photo would not be included? I wanted the Polaris, so that (if I were fortunate enough to win) I would be free to change colors if I wanted to over the years. The molten glass is beautiful, but restrictive. The white tile with mother of pearl inserts would be a beautiful ocean theme that would allow for color changes over the years if so desired. :)

Moving2theCoast on February 14, 2013 at 6:37 pm
    • That was my thought….I went thru that with a bathroom until I finally replaced the blue tile ;-)

karenlin91 on February 14, 2013 at 8:37 pm
    • I think it's likely they would use some sort of accent tile. The one in the picture is also made by Daltile, it's called "City Lights" and is actually glass tile also, but with a pearly finish. I would be very happy with that tile if they used it.

Mimitheminer on February 15, 2013 at 4:19 pm
  8. I know I have a vivid imagination but I can just imagine a child seeing the coastline inlay on the landing and thinking it was a monster at night. LOL

peachdoctor on February 14, 2013 at 5:35 pm
    • I agree, a dragon or – Gorbachev? Scary either way.

Wind Chime Girl on February 14, 2013 at 11:11 pm
    • LOL! That is a very vivid imagination! :D

Shelly313 on February 16, 2013 at 2:57 pm
  9. I have personal experience with the shell frame. theyh get VERY dusty, very fast. they are more fragile than abalone and impossible to clean completely. Using a vac does not get them spotless, may shatter shells. Choosing this frame would mean buying a new one once this one gets soiled.. I tried cloth diapers, tissues, wet wipes…even eyeglass cleaning cloths..
    I chose the Nantucket charm for the guest room just to have a sure thing in case we get no choices I like for other bedrooms. I agree on the blue grass paper on walls too.. In a humid location like this, it will peel like a ripe plum and mold is an issue, plus blue gets old when you wish to change your room.
    I love the choices, very nice, crisp. I am torn with the beams though.. If they are true woodgrain, it would be a sin to cover nature. That can be done in other rooms if desired I guess. that is the beauty of all of our input..

LKC on February 14, 2013 at 6:01 pm
    • I have a shell frame mirror and a shell wreath which I have had for over 20 years. I dust them lightly with a feather duster and they have held up nicely over the years. I'm guessing everyone has different experiences depending on make and use of the product. I prefer to think of this shell mirror as holding up well as I dream of my living there for the rest of my life. ;)
      I have to agree with you about the wood grain. I love genuine wood and agree that covering the natural grain with paint would be sinful. Also, from a design point of view, I was thinking the wood ceiling would make for a nice contrast to all the lighter decor. :)

Moving2theCoast on February 14, 2013 at 6:57 pm
    • How about a whitewash stain that allow the grain to come through. Instead of the painted effect they show??

zulumom on February 15, 2013 at 7:21 am
    • It is whitewash that we are voting on. The grain should still be visible.

Windsmurf on February 15, 2013 at 9:55 am
    • You are right about the shells LKC. I lived in the Philippines for 10yrs and I know from personal experience how delicate and fragile shells are (have you tried keeping a ceiling-to-floor capiz shell lamp clean? :S), and how much time and effort it takes to clean them properly while trying to keep the natural sheen (they become 'worn looking' so quickly)! There is no easy way with shells, you would have to dust or wipe with a soft cloth every day or two. But being just for a mirror frame in the bathroom, that would take just a quick moment to swipe any dust/sand away BEFORE you steam up the bathroom with a hot shower or bath before it has a chance to set. Personally, I chose the tiles which I think will complement the Molten Glass tiles better, but if the Shell frame wins hopefully they will be set in such a way that they aren't as fragile, and have a way of protecting the shells without taking away from their beauty. :)

Shelly313 on February 16, 2013 at 3:12 pm
  10. I am so excited this afternoon with all the choices I am trying my best to make the right one for this classic beauty by the coast thanks guys keep up the awesome job.

pixelecho69 on February 14, 2013 at 6:05 pm