Feb 14

People’s Choice: Vote for Family Room Features

Blog Cabin 2013 People's Choice Family Room Vote

Good morning!

Today we launch the family room vote. Help us select the flooring pattern, lighting fixtures, ceiling treatment and more. We also invite you to vote for our guest suite style, provided by our friends at Good Housekeeping magazine. More info on those three distinct room styles is coming in the days to come!

• Posted at 10:47 am on February 2, 2013

1. I hope everyone is having a wonderful day today! Seems like most or all are finally pushing past bad weather, which is definitely something to be happy about!

The siding is up by the Foyer, and I must say I <3 the color!!! What a beautiful choice!!! And everyone is sharing great ideas for inside, outside and potential housewarming gifts…I take great delight envisioning all the possibilities for this home and her future family…I know I would have no problem calling this house 'Home'…what a blessing this will truly be for one of us!!! ^_^

Not sure what is going on with the voting today. When I try to vote the only option showing up is for the tiles. I have logged on, off and back on again with no luck. Maybe a site or server upgrade or back-up is in progress? Will try again later! Have a blessed Friday everyone!!! ^_^:):D<3

Shelly313 on February 22, 2013 at 1:02 pm
  2. Had to go back and look at the siding I didn't see it last time I looked. Really looks great. Here in Maine they used to use seader shakes on cottages on the coast. They would get weathered and turn gray. I remember when I was a kid going to my aunt & uncles cottage in Casten it was so beautiful in side a out. The salt air and the wind, how much fun it was back in the good old days! :)

WE-Z on February 22, 2013 at 1:25 pm
  3. Boy the roof is looking dark. I went back and looked at round 1 of PC and noticed that we voted on the "style" of shingles, not the color, so I guess it is up to DIY to decide the color. I am with the other bloggers, it really needs to be a lighter color.

vicki_in_Utah on February 22, 2013 at 1:47 pm
    • I was thinking about that….shingle color. As long as the ceilings/roof is well insulated, the dark shingles may not matter much. I also looked at some recent aerial photographs of the Atlantic, NC area and saw a lot of buildings with dark roofs…maybe half. They must know what they are doing. If dark shingles were wrong for the area, I reasonably sure that the builder would have mentioned that to the designers.

RLD on February 22, 2013 at 6:23 pm
  4. Live & Learn. :) All week I've been wondering what those long pieces of siding with what appeared to be tabs at regular intervals on the edge were. Now I know. They are the corner pieces and the tabs are there to fix them in place and hang the siding panels onto. :D

Clive on February 22, 2013 at 1:57 pm
    • That makes sense, I've been wondering what those were too, thanks Clive!

SID on February 22, 2013 at 2:57 pm
  5. The siding sure looks nice, it looks like shake shingles. I really like the white trim too. Those guys look a little cold, all bundled up.

vicki_in_Utah on February 22, 2013 at 1:58 pm
    • I agree that the style of the siding looks nice. I believe that it was the closest to what was there at the start of this remodel. I'm happy about that.

Hazelnut Deb on February 22, 2013 at 3:18 pm
  6. Good Friday Afternoon to all… I just saw the Siding and I Love, Love, Love it…If only the Shingles were lighter! "Frown"…That must be the Slate Gray color, I wish they had chosen the Birchwood, it was a pretty lighter gray…Oh well, it's too late now…Maybe after all the Siding is on and the Sun stays out, lol The roof won't look Sooo dark! I was Just thinking how Hot the 90 degree temps will heat up the Cottage roof in the Summetime and that means higher Electric Bills…Oops always thinking Budget…Smile!!! I'm sure the Owners will be tickled Pink the Cottage is finally their…Sooo just turn up that A/C and "Boogie Down" LOL and Enjoy all the Beauty that Surrounds them…Cottage Heaven!!

If anyone is interested You can Google Timberline_HD Shingles and see all the Shingle colors offered!!I
    I know it's too late now but was curious about the colors we could have chose from, if they would have let us choose the color and not the style..Just my Thoughts."The End" No more about the Shingles!!!! I'm Done!!
    The window Frames add so much and look Really good.. The Guys are doing a Great Job!!! I wonder when they're going to finish the Roof!!! Rain in the forecast for this Afternoon, Evening and Tomorrow!!!…Oh Rats!

From time to time I have seen a comment from Bloggers saying they didn't Know what the temperature and weather is at the Cottage… so for those of you that don't know…When you are using the Camera Cam, at the bottom of the page the first symbol on the left side is the "Sun" weather symbol for the Cottage..Just thought you would like to know so you can keep up with the Temperature, Weather and Wind Chill and know that is why the Hard Working Crew is all Bundled up!!! Dedicated Crew Thank you!!!!

Jennie/Florida on February 22, 2013 at 3:44 pm
    • I don't know how anyone can miss the weather icon, everytime I pass my cursor over the screen I trip over the weather icon. Of course, I'm a natural-born tripper!!

Wind Chime Girl on February 22, 2013 at 11:31 pm
    • Hi WCG, I guess I was thinking of the "Newbies" who are not familiar with the Camera Cam…

Jennie/Florida on February 23, 2013 at 10:18 am
  7. Sooooo! What are those slate gray tiles for that they're cutting and shaping today?

Also, there's a pile of large timbers, similar to the porch supports, being stacked at the front of the house almost out of our view.

Looks like they're filming or getting reasdy to film something upstairs. The French doors are being boarded up again to give better lighing inside.

Clive on February 22, 2013 at 4:02 pm
    • OK. I was a little over excited. It's probably just siding pieces that are being cut on the saw table. Wishfull thinking. :$

Clive on February 22, 2013 at 5:25 pm
    • Clive, first, a matter of semantics question here, are you calling "front" the normal side nearest the street–or nearest the water, as I have (with no rhyme nor reason)? Yesterday, I noted those large timbers, I think, maybe, 2 X 6, stacked where I think of as in back? Was guessing and HOPING they were surprising us with a long-needed attached storage area that many of us have begged for and, which is very much needed for all outdoor items during storms, lest these become deadly projectiles… I tend to agree with you…hiccup…DARK slate gray roof shingles, which, living in the South, I know, do not belong in the South–IMHO should have installed lighter, perhaps powder gray infused roof. Installed siding and white trim around windows is correct on vote. Have a lovely weekend!B):)xD Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on February 22, 2013 at 5:59 pm
    • LOL Front of the house is the side facing the street. :) The wood is at least 6×6 and square, same as the porch supports and weatherproofed so it will be outside somewhere.
      They were cutting siding that I thought was some sort of tile. It's darker gray because they're using a wet saw to keep it cool and keep dust down when they're cutting it.

I'm optimistic about the roof. We had the same shingles installed a year back. Ours are charcoal black (we live in the frozen tundra ;) ) We asked about the color fading in a few years and the installer told us that even the darkest colors will fade. The BC builders and designers are all locals and will know what works for this region. I doubt they'll install a color that doesn't work here. Then there's the camera auto contrast to factor in. The camera averages exposure so the contrast is set high and the dark colors will appear darker. It's partly optical illusion too. Then there's the various underlays used. They're designed to maintain even temps even on the hotter days. Have faith, all will be well (IMHO). :) :DxD^_^

Clive on February 22, 2013 at 11:22 pm
    • Thanks, as always, Clive! I think we are each speaking of different stacks of wood, then There's the outside Master BR Porch and they did use 6 X 6 posts to support the porch roof all around–so there you go! Having lived in the deep South of the USA now since 1965, I can definitely see the merits of having lighter toned roof color to deflect the hot sun. It's not that some don't select darker colors as has been done here, but I can guarantee the resident, there will have quite a tad more heat accumulation in the attic for the AC to work on during hot weather. Conversely, IF weather is on the colder side, the place will be a bit more cozy, especially if they insert a nice gas or propane or pellet stove–I doubt there's a chance for any wood one–but I'm still hoping for something indoors and NOT outside, like they did last year. That was one GORGEOUS fireplace they built, but when its cold ouside in Maine–it's too cold to even sit by the fireplace, unless you are the turkey or dear on the rotisserie! :D LOL! Dylan is from my Neighborhood Greater Metro Area. Have you or anyone Googled his professional bio? He's one smart man! very well-rounded certified and trained in, I think it's green building and design and is it Leed (or something like that?) There's lots of photos of his work, much of it in commercial building and design. Very cool. Hope you have a lovely weekend and that your weather is settling down. Love your words of technical encouragement, Clive! Cheers!B);)xD^_^ Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on February 23, 2013 at 12:25 am
  8. I see the guys are still hard at work! God bless them!!! I know I can't wait to see them working on the dock! I just think that will be an amazing part of the house as well. I just love everything about this house. I just can imagine sitting and watching the sunset every night and watching the dogs play in the water. The home is just too beautiful for words. Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on February 22, 2013 at 4:08 pm
  9. It looks to me like they have just installed plywood over the exterior door opening to the Laundry/Powder room entrance. They are now also installing plywood to cover the exterior french door opening to the family room. Maybe the doors that were delivered were not the right size so that was why they were not installed when the others were? The plywood is no doubt a wise precaution with heavy rain expected this weekend.

SID on February 22, 2013 at 4:09 pm
    • It's for filming. They need even light and dark inside with bright sun glare from outside isn't good for filming. They will light it artificially from inside to give a much better result.

Clive on February 22, 2013 at 4:22 pm
    • Good point!:D<3 Kitty I keep straining to get an inside glimpse, but it is so dark, even with the sun shining and the cupola and windows! Have a safe great weekend every Bloggie! B):|<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on February 22, 2013 at 5:01 pm