Feb 14

People’s Choice: Vote for Family Room Features

Blog Cabin 2013 People's Choice Family Room Vote

Good morning!

Today we launch the family room vote. Help us select the flooring pattern, lighting fixtures, ceiling treatment and more. We also invite you to vote for our guest suite style, provided by our friends at Good Housekeeping magazine. More info on those three distinct room styles is coming in the days to come!

• Posted at 10:47 am on February 2, 2013

1. Time for construction update we need to see what is happening in and out back. This is killing us guys.

zulumom on February 21, 2013 at 2:06 pm
    • Exactly!! haha This is the only excitement this old lady gets anymore! Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on February 21, 2013 at 3:15 pm
  2. It looks kike there is a worker cutting what looks like composite greyish decking, maybe they are doing the master bedroom porch.

zulumom on February 21, 2013 at 2:08 pm
    • That would be really nice!

Rebecca on February 21, 2013 at 3:14 pm
  3. So in my daily dreaming of all the possibilities, I came up with some more ideas and wonder if the DIY Team also has any of these in mind. So the following is my updated list of ideas for inside, outside, and housewarming gifts…Just some ideas to ponder!!! Hope you all have a wonderful day today!!! :)

Shelly313 on February 21, 2013 at 2:21 pm
    • 1) Telescope for viewing stars and planets at night from balcony
      2) Hammock posts, seating area, and nice solar light to light the dock at night
      3) Built-in BBQ Grill & patio area (from porch looking towards the Sound – to the right of the tree w/swings, in the corner surrounded by the trees) – with a nice lighting feature to light the grill/patio area at night
      4) A fire pit would be nice to sit around and roast marshmallows or make s'mores!
      5) Keep the original vanity dresser for Guest Bath (will be so pretty with Shell mirror and Molten Glass tiles)
      6) Refurbish the old water pump into a working waterfall feature (would look beautiful to gaze upon in a flower garden off the Master Suite, as karenlin91 wonderfully suggested!)
      7) Paddle Boards to play in the water…what fun and great exercise!!!
      8) Hudson Bay blanket to keep warm in chilly weather while enjoying the porch swing
      9) A working miniature Cape Lookout Lighthouse ornament somewhere in the yard to enjoy
      10) A small bridge to cross over from main part of yard to dock area, with a stepping stone path to dock?

Shelly313 on February 21, 2013 at 2:21 pm
    • Good, good list! and thanks for the water pump in the garden, that would be the perfect place for it! Waterfall fixture back there would be as peaceful as the sound out front! I like everything else too.. I keep thinking about planting most of the farther front yard area as a meadow, instead of having to do a lot of mowing….not sure how that would work for the area though…..but with a nice stepping stone path thru it…?

karenlin91 on February 21, 2013 at 3:17 pm
    • Thanks Karen! When you mentioned a garden by the Master Suite I thought how that would be perfect for the old water pump for the exact same reason…peaceful sound of water!!! I wish we could see the other side of the house so we could visualize things like flower gardens, stepping stones, etc…I don't mind the mowing so much, I kind of find it relaxing…but I don't want to spend an entire day mowing either! LOL :D

Shelly313 on February 21, 2013 at 4:40 pm
    • Oh, karenlin91 — great idea about the "meadow" area — plenty of wildflowers and coastal grasses and plants, arranged beautifully to gradually move the height toward the tree line. It's easy to find natural things like these that thrive in that area. I'm with you on the mowing…for retirement, the less work the better (although one would still need to keep the weeds out…than sit on the porch with a nice glass of ice tea or wine!)

Bev on February 26, 2013 at 11:03 am
    • So I want to give BIG credit to Jennie/Florida for a most excellent idea that I did not see previous to posting my list…she and I both shared the same sentiment for a lighthouse fixture somewhere in the yard without even realizing it, but Jennie posted her idea first…I really should read through the blog BEFORE I post "my ideas"!!!

Jennie's idea is for a lighthouse fixture to be built using recycled lumber on site and have it placed over the well pump area with flowers planted around it…GREAT and VERY RESOURCEFUL IDEA!!! And it is a great location…I can just picture it now – a working lighthouse painted to look like Cape Lookout, or a unique design just for this beautiful home – to hide the well pump…and it can be enjoyed from the porch, the BBQ/patio area I suggested above, and even from the Sound!!!

Jennie, sorry I didn't see your idea before posting my list, otherwise I would have given credit where credit was due!!! :S I sure hope I haven't "stolen" anyone else's ideas!!! :$

Shelly313 on February 21, 2013 at 4:55 pm
    • Fabulous list of suggestions. I think the grill/BBQ/fire pit is probably a given, they seem to do those every time. The old repurposed dresser/vanity was charming and perfect for the house (IMHO), and I hope to see it come back also. I would love to see the old well pump still on property, and using it in a water feature is a great idea! Lighthouse is a popular theme, so maybe we will get to see that too, somewhere. Solar-powered lighthouse would make a fun yard light :)

Mimitheminer on February 21, 2013 at 6:34 pm
    • Thanks, Mimi! Solar-powered is an excellent idea for the lighthouse too!!! I can't wait to see what they come up with…will be nice to see the yard all dressed up…I hope they leave a lot of open space for the kids to run around! And it wouldn't be a 'yard' without some areas needing to be mowed!!! :D

Shelly313 on February 22, 2013 at 11:41 am
    • Excellent list Shelly. You have included a lot of things that I and other bloggers have been thinking about. I am going to add four more things. This may be the best way to make suggestions, as I am not sure always if DIY is listening? Here they are: a whole-house generator (like the one at the BC in Susan, VA.), an outdoor shower, and a remote controlled gate at driveway entrance, and either a solar or geothermal HVAC system that would reduce utility costs. :) Boo

Boo on February 21, 2013 at 8:31 pm
    • Why the remote gate? Why any gate? The land is open on all sides. We NC folk are freindly and you'll not find many gates and fences around here.

PeterNC on February 21, 2013 at 10:07 pm
    • I agree the gate not very welcoming and my 2 huge dogs would take care of scaring away undesirable (if there are any) guests.

zulumom on February 22, 2013 at 7:40 am
    • Peter, There was some discussion a while ago, that because the BC and its address has been so well publicized that curiosity seekers from anywhere might just pop in, when visiting the area. It doesn't seem like the house can be seen from the main road so there was the fear that people would be constantly driving down the driveway. After all the Robinsons, whose family lived there for over a century, did have a NO Trespassing sign posted.

Boo on February 22, 2013 at 3:49 pm
    • The house is open to the road and there are no fences so a gate is redundant. Robinsons hever had no trespassing signs but DIY does.

PeterNC on February 24, 2013 at 5:58 pm
    • Love the idea of a back up generator!

Lia_M on February 21, 2013 at 10:11 pm
    • I love the idea of an outdoor shower, Boo…definitely going to need that after playing in the water and gardens before stepping inside!!! Solar or geothermal HVAC is also a great & green idea, and a generator of some kind wouldn't hurt! I can see having a gate here in IN and other places, but I'm still not sold on that idea for this home and location. Peter said NC folk are friendly, and that is all I have seen of the NC folks on the blog, the folks I have met from NC, and know of my family in the NC area. I don't think that would present any problems here. I feel confident the DIY Team did their research well and would not have chosen this home for BC 2013 if there were any chance of problems to arise that would require additional measures, such as a gate. :)

Shelly313 on February 22, 2013 at 11:51 am
    • Definitely the whole-house generator and the outdoor shower! Too many high wind/hurricane situations not to have a large generator (sometimes power can be out for days), and an outdoor shower is a traditional Southern coastal home feature.

Bev on February 26, 2013 at 11:10 am
    • Great list!! :) )How about adding a canoe, binoculars, and a birding book?

Lia_M on February 21, 2013 at 10:10 pm
    • A canoe would be fun…I had previously mentioned a row boat so I could lazily row my grandkids around the Sound (without tipping!) haha!! Binoculars and a birding book are fun items too! :D

Shelly313 on February 22, 2013 at 11:54 am
    • I just thought of something for the list….Along with the generator, how about a whole house fan…….major cooling really fast without having to use the a/c ;-)

karenlin91 on February 22, 2013 at 12:28 pm
    • Don't know anything about that, Karen, but sounds like a great idea! ;)

Shelly313 on February 24, 2013 at 11:36 am
    • ? <DIV>My brother has one in his house in Columbia, Mo……humidity is a problem there too…..as soon as it cools off at night, open all the windows, turn on the fan (his is in the attic), and it draws cool air in, pushes hot air out the top…really works well!</DIV> <DIV style=”FONT: 10pt arial”>

karenlin91 on February 24, 2013 at 12:47 pm
    • You know, an attic fan was a feature found in most houses constructed in the south during the 50s, 60s and into the 70s, but you don't see many of them in new builds any longer. I think the main reason is probably that people can turn on just the fans on their heating/coolling system and that helps as well. One good thing is that there are always coastal breezes, although this house is on the sound and more wooded, so you may not feel them as readily as if it were located on the ocean side.

Bev on February 26, 2013 at 11:14 am
    • Shelly, thank you so much for the congrats! It is such a joy to enjoy the things in life such as blogging and dreaming. I love to decorate and use my imagination…. so this is fun. Good luck and best wishes to a nice person.

dona on February 21, 2013 at 6:12 pm
    • Thank you for your kind words and wishes, Dona, I wish the exact same in return for you! ^_^ I am having so much fun envisioning all kinds of wonderful things for this home! This whole process is a real joy to be a part of, and everyone on the Blog has been so kind and thoughtful of one another, which just makes this such a wonderful dream to share with so many!!! ^_^:):D

Shelly313 on February 22, 2013 at 12:04 pm
  4. Hey guys anything new besides everything we CAN'T see???? haha This is driving me crazy. I am getting fixated on the guys! Nothing more sexy than hard working men even if I can't see it all (haha meaning what they are working on inside the house) keep your mind out of the gutter! lol I am just getting so excited and wanting to see more it is got me going crazy! haha Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on February 21, 2013 at 3:13 pm
    • Rebecca, love your blogs! It brings a smile and chuckle everyday!! I hope you are doing well. Keep up the good info!! Best wishes and good health to you.

dona on February 21, 2013 at 6:17 pm
    • Thanks Dona! Sometimes you have to make the best of what you have and right now I can't do much but blog and act a fool! haha That's why I love the blog. I love chatting about the house and talking to everyone. Waiting patiently to see what cool items we get to vote on next not to mention to see some action "INSIGHT". haha Much Love!! <3<3

Rebecca on February 21, 2013 at 6:25 pm
    • Rebecca, have I told you lately your enthusiasm is infectious???!!! I love how you always remain so cheerful and happy no matter what is going on in your life!!! All my best wishes for you!!! ^_^:):D<3

Shelly313 on February 22, 2013 at 12:08 pm
    • Thank you Shelly! I try! Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on February 22, 2013 at 3:56 pm
  5. Thanks Karen! LOL…I love how I see both Karen's replying back-to-back on some of my posts!!! I'm so glad you have sunshine today too…same here, and I love it!!! :D

Shelly313 on February 21, 2013 at 4:42 pm
  6. It's great to see the B.C. is looking good!

Angelways on February 21, 2013 at 7:41 pm
  7. Every day is a beautiful new day with many new surprises at the blog cabin. Can't wait until the reveal! I hope that the blog cabin is as comfortably and casually "dressed" as the original blog cabin. I suspect the DIY Team has taken all of the comments and incorporate all of the suggestions with the voting to make this retreat the "Jewel of the Beach"!!! Becky^_^<3

bythebaydreamer on February 21, 2013 at 8:42 pm
    • Good morning Becky! I had been calling this home a coastal gem, but I love your nickname "Jewel of the Beach" – it is so fitting!!! The reveal is going to be so exciting!!! :D

Shelly313 on February 22, 2013 at 12:10 pm
  8. I've been out of town on a tech-free trip and I have a lot of catching up to do. I'm stunned that the Fresnel and whitewashed choices haven't picked up. What's the deal?
    Anyway, I'm to trust the bloggers choices because that's what I learned watching Blog Cabin 2012. I'll be spending days catching up with all these entries, my goodness, soooo many!
    WCG

Wind Chime Girl on February 21, 2013 at 11:16 pm
    • Bloggers preferences are such a small minority of the votes we never really have any influence on the outcome at all. It's the non-blogging voters who decide things and they're also the people who aren't invested in the house, just waiting for an opportunity to win it and sell it.

WilliamT on February 22, 2013 at 9:20 am
    • I want to win it and live in it! However, won't be voting for the fresnel. It's pretty, but too much of a dust-catcher. Sure, any light would have to be dusted some, but in the damp air in that area, the dirt and dust gets stuck in all the little "nooks and crannies", and has to be taken down and thoroughly cleaned more frequently to maintain that beautiful reflective look. I want this home for retirement, so don't want additional work! I'm with you on the whitewashed ceiling, though! The dark seems out of place to me when compared to the rest of the house's decor.

Bev on February 22, 2013 at 11:56 am
    • How true WilliamT! On ALL counts!xDB)xD Kitty Have a great weekend!

DwnSoDwnEaster on February 22, 2013 at 6:04 pm
    • Welcome back, Wind Chime Girl, was wondering where you went! There is so much that has been going on, and no matter what choices win, the DIY Team will work their very talented magic (as always!) and the house will be absolutely beautiful, warm and inviting!!! ^_^

Shelly313 on February 22, 2013 at 12:15 pm
    • Yes, welcome back WC girl! :-)

Karen_NEOH on February 22, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Wind Chime Girl on February 23, 2013 at 12:38 am
    • Welcome back! Much Love!! <3<3

rebecca on February 22, 2013 at 3:55 pm
      You people are great. I missed you and I missed this whole thing while I was gone. Funny, it occuppied my mind so much.
      WilliamT, I didn't realize what a small % of the vote we bloggers had.
      Bev, my previous votes had house-keeping in mind. My first vote on the cupola lamp had that in mind as well. And I still love the glass globe. But I read the contributers' reasons for the Fresnel lamp; I looked at it again and I changed my vote. Not that it matters much at this late date, but the Fresnel is the best choice. Just look at it again, in the "blow-up" pic. It is just spectacular. Clean it when you change the bulb out, like Shelley313 points out below. And we've all talked about the dimmer switch.
      I know it's a moot point, but still?
      WCG

Wind Chime Girl on February 23, 2013 at 12:37 am
    • Maybe with all the blog chatter…just maybe…the DIY Team will go ahead and make that final decision in light of the vote??? ;)

It's a nice thought, at least! :)

Shelly313 on February 24, 2013 at 11:39 am
  9. Okay, I'm trying to vote, but all my ballots go straight to #4, bypassing the first 3 voting options. This is getting old. WCG

Wind Chime Girl on February 21, 2013 at 11:25 pm
    • I have been having that problem today too…I have logged on, off and back on and it is still stuck on the tile choice each time for me…not sure what is going on, but this happened in the last round twice but didn't last this long. And I had trouble zooming in with the cam this morning too. Maybe lots of people on at once, or maybe an upgrade to the site is in progress??

Shelly313 on February 22, 2013 at 12:19 pm
  10. The B.C. looks like it is leaning today.Why?

Angelways on February 22, 2013 at 8:27 am