Feb 6

Mysteries of the Deep

Blog Cabin 2013 Tree Trunk Foundation

As promised, we are proud to announce the launch of our Remodeling of Blog Cabin 2013 package on HGTVRemodels.com. One of our first features focuses on the elevated foundation and the primitive supports that stood in its place for over 120 years … tree trunks. Nope, no typo here. Read the article to find out how tree trunk foundations were constructed and stood the test of time. This is just the first of many facsinating nuggets of information we hope to share about this coastal North Carolina cottage in the weeks to come.

• Posted at 11:44 am on February 2, 2013

1. Filming on the dock this morning! Fun!

Mimitheminer on February 10, 2013 at 10:12 am
    • Whoops, thanks for the alert, I must surely get back to the camera to see that! Earlier in this project it was mentioned that by DIY that they had plans to repair the dock. When the time comes I hope they let us watch from the Live Camera!

SID on February 10, 2013 at 11:58 am
    • I hope so too.

JudyInMich on February 10, 2013 at 5:19 pm
    • Oh I can't wait to see what they do with the dock. They said they definately have some plans.

Rebecca on February 11, 2013 at 7:46 pm
    • Hey! The view from the dock is just breathtaking… poetic. It will surely get repaired.

Laurie_March on February 13, 2013 at 8:54 pm
  2. I am enjoying the cabin cam and look forward to whatching the updates everyday, this cam is truly a great idea for keeping us truly involved. My thanks to the entire DIY team.

Jimbo on February 10, 2013 at 10:14 am
    • Love your name..,…reminds me of an old friend. :)

Windee :) on February 10, 2013 at 4:25 pm
    • I am addicted to watching the cam! Much Love!! <3<3<3

Rebecca on February 11, 2013 at 7:47 pm
  3. Someone mentioned that the seaward yard ditch is often filled with standing water, especially after the recent rains. The ditch continues on the other side of the path/"bridge" leading toward the shore, but no standing water is evident on that side. I suspect that there is a tube/pipe that connects the two sides….and that it is simply clogged up, preventing water to drain off to the right. I also suspect that issue will be remedied in the "Yard Crashers" episode.

RLD on February 10, 2013 at 1:55 pm
  4. Looks like more filming is in progress in the front yard/shoreside yard right now….

RLD on February 10, 2013 at 2:03 pm
    • RLD….Did you have any trouble accessing the web cam?
      Thanks,
      Windee:)

Windee :) on February 10, 2013 at 4:24 pm
  5. Hi Bloggers I just checked the Cabin Cam and looks like the crew is having lunch. going to post it to my Pintrest

chris50555 on February 10, 2013 at 3:20 pm
    • Awesome, Chris!!! Thanks for the posts! Somebody is in the Mega Den with a tripod and someone else out in the yard, also with a smaller tripod–couldn't manipulate that camera close up function to see who it might be though. It's a lovely sunny day in Atlantic, NC. Great for pictures!:DB)xD Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on February 10, 2013 at 4:13 pm
  6. Thanks especially for the panoramic cabin cam view! That is a great idea so we can imagine ourselves there on the spot. Thanks again Mary or Chris or whoever suggested that angle availability! Now I wonder who is there on a Sunday? LOL could be anyone checking the place out.

minitoni on February 10, 2013 at 3:41 pm
    • I know! I love scanning the property. It just takes you away to a special place. It makes your imagination run away with you. I love this property. It is like your own little paradise. Who ever gets this home will be the luckiest person in the world. It is so beautiful. Much Love!!!! <3<3<3<3

Rebecca on February 11, 2013 at 2:19 pm
  7. Hi guys! How is everyone doing this beautiful Sunday? I just saw the sign…..too funny! I love you DIY you are hilarious!!! Again it is sad you have to tell grown adults how to act but hopefully you have gotten their attention. Anyway I love the sign. The house is amazing and coming along well. I can't wait for the first episode to air. Much Love!!!! <3<3<3<3

Rebecca on February 10, 2013 at 6:13 pm
  8. There is still a chance for the double faucet to win. Did you notice that the under mount sink that is winning, has duel faucets? Got to go back and finish off my 10 votes.

Eugenia27 on February 10, 2013 at 8:13 pm
    • Hi Eugenia, I saw those faucets on the Under Mount Sink and like that style much better, maybe a different color to match the Tub fixtures! They look so much better than the ones we're voting on!
      This round is almost over and we can move on..Not to worry, I'm sure Matt M. will make sure everything
      goes well together!!! One thing about it Eugenia, if you or I win, we can change out the fixtures to suit our taste!!!
      I'm So ready for the next round! Can't wait to see what we have to vote on for the "Family Room", Funny, I wonder why they are calling it the family room, when I thought that was suppose to be the "Mega Den"..
      Strange!!!
      Have a good day, hope you're not in the storm areas…It's Sunny here in Florida and the temps will go up to 84 today and this is February…Very unusual for this time of year..I feel so bad for all who are in the snow storms and rain storms..Crazy weather everywhere in the US…Be safe

Jennie/Florida on February 11, 2013 at 10:20 am
    • Hi Eugenia, I should have said I saw "the" faucet on the Under Mount Sink, for goodness sake, how many faucets can you get on one sink? DUH!!! I need to proof read before I send my reply!!! LOL

Jennie/Florida on February 11, 2013 at 11:59 am
  9. That was very informative as well as reassuring. My concern was for how long I'd have my Blog Cabin if battling hurricanes & floods. However, lifting the home 7.5', adding the solid foundation & flood vents, constructing walls to withstand 130 mph winds, tieing the roof, walls, & foundation all together was outstanding! I wonder how much that lowers the insurance rates. I'm more excited about it & can't wait to see the finished product now. I just wish the other bloggers would change to the drop in sink to go with the stand alone tub, it is more asthetically pleasing than the undermount sink, especially with the single faucet that looks like a cistern punp spigot. But that's an easy fix once I claim it. ;) The "Cabin Cam" seems like a good idea, I came on after sunset, so I'll have to check that out during daylight hours. At the risk of asking a repeat question; has anyone heard whether any of the old furnishings that were photographed in the before shots is going to be used to furnish the rebuilt home? Are they repairing the dock?

Rebecca6T on February 10, 2013 at 10:17 pm
    • They have said that they do have plans for the dock….nothing more specific.

RLD on February 11, 2013 at 1:46 am