Feb 6

Mysteries of the Deep

Blog Cabin 2013 Tree Trunk Foundation

As promised, we are proud to announce the launch of our Remodeling of Blog Cabin 2013 package on HGTVRemodels.com. One of our first features focuses on the elevated foundation and the primitive supports that stood in its place for over 120 years … tree trunks. Nope, no typo here. Read the article to find out how tree trunk foundations were constructed and stood the test of time. This is just the first of many facsinating nuggets of information we hope to share about this coastal North Carolina cottage in the weeks to come.

• Posted at 11:44 am on February 2, 2013

1. I was just up on the Remodeling of Blog Cabin 2013 website, and I learned a lot about the town of New Bern where this year's Blog Cabin is located. See below:

"It's the pedestrian-friendly downtown, dotted with mom-and-pop restaurants, quaint storefronts and a popular river walk, that gives New Bern a welcoming all-American coziness. It's a place where people do smile at each other. There's plenty to do but you don't get stuck in traffic,"

Sounds quaint and cozy!

Summer on February 7, 2013 at 10:39 am
    • Sounds perfect to me. I know we all wish we would be the winner of this cottage by the sea.

chris50555 on February 7, 2013 at 3:14 pm
    • New Bern is a quaint and nice town–but I would not say that Blog Cabin is IN or Near New Bern AT ALL! Just a good place to go for a day trip! :) ;) Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on February 7, 2013 at 3:52 pm
    • Oh, and did I mention that New Bern is also a place to go for multiple day trips? Been there! Love it! Oozes charm–just not what I would call close to the Blog Cabin….B)xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on February 7, 2013 at 10:22 pm
    • I'm sure New Bern will make a fun day trip for the cottage winner. ;)

Clive on February 7, 2013 at 4:10 pm
    • sounds like apiece of heaven on earth..Would love to go there and see what it is all about

bogartandbacall on February 7, 2013 at 7:31 pm
    • The cabin closer to Beaufort NC but New Bern NC is larger.
      Here are two links ofr you to enjoy. :) http://www.visitnc.com/listings/view/43968 http://www.visitnewbern.com/

Lia_M on February 7, 2013 at 10:20 pm
    • Thank you for the links……I see lots of day trips from the cabin ;-)

karenlin91 on February 8, 2013 at 8:51 am
  2. They are filming this morning and it is where we can watch! Check out the cam! It is fascinating!

Grammagail on February 7, 2013 at 10:40 am
    • I've been watching. it's so addicting to watch. I keep going back to the cam. Can't stay away.:D

jkcarter on February 7, 2013 at 11:16 am
    • It looks chilly, they all appear to be bundled up.

jkcarter on February 7, 2013 at 11:59 am
  3. Okay, now I am confused. Is the Blog Cabin in New Bern, NC or Atlantic Beach, NC?
    These 2 cities are approximately a 50 minute drive from one another, about 30 miles. But where is the Blog Cabin?

Summer on February 7, 2013 at 11:04 am
    • Someone posted an address a while back 448 Seashore Dr, Atlantic, NC. On Bing, Atlantic is just up the road and New Bern is back west and south…….farther away…..The Seashore address looks like it fits the cabin location, but I couldn't swear to it…..I'm confused too, still ;-) Hopefully someone can come up with the answer……Jennie?

karenlin91 on February 7, 2013 at 11:23 am
    • Hi Summer, Karen and Gail, I have a good website on the property plus the address and location,
      also all the particulars about the Sell of the Cottage and description of all the rooms in the home when it was sold…

Bear with me, you know how "I" am about these websites! lol

Look on the Bird's Eye View and also can Zoom in and out with the + & – at the top of the screen…
      Look at the 4 arrows by the Road..That's Hwy 70 and look to the left of there and you will see the Little Cottage sitting in the middle of that Big piece of property…
      You can move the whole photo around by touching and dragging the screen.

OK…I hope this works!!! Lots of good information about our little Cottage

Jennie/Florida on February 7, 2013 at 2:28 pm
    • Sweet !Jennie! I KNEW you would have the answer ;-) I think you are the go-to person for all the good stuff about the cabin….(muskadines, persimmons………all the good things. Thanks again

karenlin91 on February 7, 2013 at 3:18 pm
    • Thank You for posting the map. Great Job! :) I too was having trouble figuring out the location. Wondering about the wildlife in the area alligator's, snakes, etc ?
      Thanks Again Jeanie/Florida :) Have a nice evening:)

Windee :) on February 8, 2013 at 6:10 pm
    • I did the research through county records and the 448 Seashore Dr Atlantic NC is now in ownership of a DIY entity; by Scripps Networks LLC. Here are some links that give more information about the location.

I started my search from information on the DIY Blog Cabin website. The home was willed to Fannie’s sister Nadine, who passed the home to her daughter, Evelyn Clyde Harris, the most recent owner of Blog Cabin 2013 before DIY purchased the property. We also know that the city is Atlantic, NC. So with this information I found out that Atlantic is located in the county of Carteret. I went to the Carteret County web site and searched for tax records under the name of Evelyn Clyde Harris. I finally found her name on a prior tax year. This also gave me the actual address for the property, 448 Seashore Drive Atlantic, NC thus enabling me to search the most recent tax record by address. BINGO I found the property is now owned by Scripps Networks LLC. http://web2.mobile311.com/CarteretCard/default.as
      With the address we can then go to an online map and see the property from a satellite view. The purple dot is where the cottage is located. http://mapq.st/14tZJqr
      Hope you all enjoy visiting the location and seeing where the property is situated in relation to the cove and ocean.

This is the link for the property card for the DIY Blog Cabin http://web2.mobile311.com/CarteretCard/default.as

chris50555 on February 7, 2013 at 3:20 pm
    • Whoa!! Major and good research! And interesting, the more we know about this place the more special it becomes…..can we all just keep it????

karenlin91 on February 7, 2013 at 3:43 pm
    • Yeah! A blogger timeshare! I like that idea :)

Mimitheminer on February 7, 2013 at 5:07 pm
    • I will tell you this, if I would win the property there would be a GIANT open house for all of the bloggers to come by and join in the celebration. I would even create some kind of art work for everyone to sign to display in the cottage. Of course we would need a group picture of everyone on the porch and balcony.

chris50555 on February 7, 2013 at 6:33 pm
    • I like that idea! I would too…..hummmm, and maybe work out some time share deals (if I could stand to leave it)

karenlin91 on February 7, 2013 at 6:40 pm
    • I am coming but it is a long ride so keep the murphy bed for me.

zulumom on February 9, 2013 at 6:42 am
    • Party! Party!

karenlin91 on February 9, 2013 at 8:47 am
    • Come one come all…. but I have to win it first. <3

chris50555 on February 9, 2013 at 4:21 pm
    • It is neither. It is in Atlantic and you can find it on Bing at the address posted to you. It is also visible if you go into real estate sites showing the house to the east for sale. Totally visible if you scan to the left from that house. Atlantic Beach is on the outer banks, not on the shore side of Core Sound. Across the water from Atlantic.

Grammagail on February 7, 2013 at 12:05 pm
  4. I hope some of the old lumber can be utilized in the rebuilding ! Preserving history is an important feature. Interesting comments from Grammagail – like her input.

Carol Kay on February 7, 2013 at 1:22 pm
  5. Late checking in today, but I wanted to join in and thank Mary for her latest post. I am amazed by the photos and description of how the native pine trunks were used as foundation support. Who would have imagined they would have lasted half as well for all those years?
    I'm just guessing because I can't see precisely on my computer screen, but is that perhaps Anitra Mecadon from Mega Dens that I see being filmed upstairs? Perhaps she will also drop a note to us bloggers on the grape vine telegraph trellis? :D <3

SID on February 7, 2013 at 3:54 pm
    • I liked hearing about the long leaf pines too..Hopefully everyone who shows up will leave us a sign on the grapevines……I love it!

karenlin91 on February 7, 2013 at 4:02 pm
  6. I just got a newsletter from diy.com and it mentioned that framing was done and that roofing is next! (I guess after the filming;-) )

karenlin91 on February 7, 2013 at 4:13 pm
    • Wow you got a newsletter from diy? That is cool. Is there a way to get on notification list? I love following the Cabin Cam.

chris50555 on February 7, 2013 at 4:20 pm
    • Don't remember how I got on it…but somewhere on there is a place to sign up for updates on something ;-) ….this was part of a valentine something As a matter of fact, I think there is one for updates or reminders to vote for the blog cabin

karenlin91 on February 7, 2013 at 4:28 pm
    • Thanks Karenlin91 I will check it out. :D

chris50555 on February 7, 2013 at 4:38 pm
  7. A few observations.

For a few days now two pieces of the original tree trunk foundations have been resting against the foyer foundation next to the 5 bricks that were saved from the original fireplace. Maybe they will be using them in some yard feature?

There seems to be some excavation going on at the front of the house, mostly out of view from the camera. A small area of it is visible just beyond the Foyer foundation. Maybe there will be another structure to break up that rather uninviting, flat, solid front of the house shown in the drawings?

I can’t remember any information on what sort of central heating and cooling there will be. The fireplace and heated bathroom floors are extras for sure. If they use a conventional HVAC system there will have to be heat exchangers either in the attic or up on a raised deck outside. They did this in the Matthews house so I’m guessing they may do it here also. Somewhere outside the mud room perhaps? :)

Clive on February 7, 2013 at 4:32 pm
    • With that cupola on top, and the venting it gives (i think)…a whole house fan might really work well. My brother has one (in central Missouri, where it gets really hot and muggy). He could turn that thing on for a few minutes in the early evening and totally get rid of built up heat in the house…….I'm in favor of anything that makes it unnecessary to use a/c;-)

karenlin91 on February 7, 2013 at 4:38 pm
    • Great eye for the the brick and wood pieces from the foundation! I'd love to see them have a special place in the yard or interior.

Lia_M on February 7, 2013 at 10:30 pm
  8. Lovely, Passionate Blog Cabin Bloggers,

Some may remember me and many may not know who I am, but I've been summoned into appearing in this forum because of the burgeoning, not-subsiding-like-it's-supposed-to drama. Folks, I've got a "Delete Post" button and a "Block IP" button and I'm not afraid to use either of them. Ix-nay on the overheated, off-topic rhetoric. I love to give everyone a chance to express their opinion on things Blog Cabin or modestly off-topic, but I'm not liking what I'm seeing.

Chill with the shenanigans. Blog Cabin is a project we and you love and should be a conduit for a lot of positive energy, dreams, ideas, insights, criticisms but general optimism.

Thanks,
    Watson, DIYNetwork.com Brand Manager

Watson on February 7, 2013 at 4:39 pm

karenlin91 on February 7, 2013 at 4:44 pm
    • Hello. Welcome. Sorry it's under these circumstances. Thanks for the comments. Hope all's well with you & yours. Happy birthday to your daughter. :)

Clive on February 7, 2013 at 4:50 pm
    • Hey Clive – thank you for the kind wishes. Mathilda was born Feb. 16 – she'll be a beautiful, headstrong 2-years-old :)

Watson on February 7, 2013 at 5:08 pm
    • Wonderful to hear. Best wishes to all of you. I knew her birthday was around this time but couldn't remember the date. Have much fun & cake. :)

Clive on February 7, 2013 at 5:12 pm
    • Warm Greetings to an Old Friend of this Blog!
      Thank you, Watson! Seeking Peace and Focus back upon Blog Cabin Build and to everyone's hopes and dreams. We have missed your Blogging with us, and are so sorry that circumstances that burgeoned nearly a week ago have required it. Since my name has been drawn into this when I attempted to be a peacemaker, please feel free to contact me, as you need. I hold NO ill will toward anyone on this blog, though it now appears that I am also a target for remaining silent. I have refrained from answering or for more recent defense of myself as the entire situation seems based upon someone's misinterpretation of my statement, which I had hoped would cease the "negative posts!" My heart is sad for the individual who is mistaken about me also, for, I think, something bad must have really hurt her at some point in life, that has caused her to feel so persecuted–would that be the word? I'm sorry. But we can't remain on negative, untoward subjects like this–we have to focus upon the purpose of this Blog! I failed at that part miserably, but don't wish to continue discussing off topic, when we have a wonderful Bloggie Family that deserves far better. ^_^<3Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on February 7, 2013 at 5:57 pm
    • Hello Kitty,
      I hope that I didn't make the situation worse. Blog Cabin 2013 is my first following for DIY network and I really enjoy the excitement about the cabin from all of the bloggers.
      Chris50555

chris50555 on February 7, 2013 at 6:24 pm
    • Oh, Kitty, I am equally sad for you that you cannot see. I will be free of my persecution complex if you will just answer my question. And you will free the blog of me, whatever your answer turns out to be. Do it for the bloggers. Once again, simple. I assure you that I want it over even more than you do. What is your fear of answering? Take that quick look at your actions that I requested. You really are afraid to do it, aren't you? I am requesting it for you, not me. You are my only concern on this blog. Be brave. Answer and end it.

draftswoman on February 7, 2013 at 6:58 pm
    • Kitty, I'm leaving the blog, much enlightened. Do you "get" irony? The irony is that your clique's initial bullying about thumbs down was "unhappy grinch", "miserable and likes to act like a child", " not nice" and "I know none of us would give TD to anyone". What's the biggest thing on the blog today? You're right! The thumbs down! Who are these people?

I still like you, and I apologize for putting pressure on you by expecting too much of you I guess I gave you too much credit for introspection. You'll still be in my prayers.
      "Build" your cabin in peace. I hope you win it.

draftswoman on February 7, 2013 at 11:33 pm
    • Quit looking for arguments and blog about the cabin.

zulumom on February 8, 2013 at 7:54 am
    • Hi Kitty, You are very respected and appreciated on this Blog and I'm certain everywhere else.
      Stand firm, your words are an inspiration to many of us. I agree this is a "wonderful Bloggie family" and I personally look forward every day to reading what everyone has to say about their interests in this incredible historic project. You were right to remain silent when you needed to because in doing so, you actually spoke volumes! I am also glad that Watson agrees to allowing us to talk modestly off-topic. I want to have some idea of who it is that posts what they do. So for them to share something about their lives, the state they live in or the weather they are experiencing, all in addition to their opinions and ideas about the Blog Cabin is what makes this blog more interesting and family-like. Friendships have been formed through this blog. We share a common interest through the construction and decorating of this cabin, the landscaping beauty and the knowledge shared of the communities that surround the cabin. There is peace (and understanding) among us.

Peacefurpets on February 8, 2013 at 10:33 pm
    • Hi, Peacefurpets! So nice to hear from you! Thank you so much for your kind words! That was one of the strangest and most painfully out of place situations! We have such a wonderful opportunity given us by Scripps Networks via their DIY Network TV's Blog Cabin venue and I cannot imagine not being able to participate with this precious Bloggie Family, whom I have grown to genuinely love so dearly! I WAS getting worried there because my name was getting invoked there quite a bit and I was remaining silent, was not defending myself–for that matter couldn't imagine what for? But I was worried my IP might be blocked just due to my name being invoked–NOT FUN! Thank you for your encouraging remarks–they mean far more than you know!^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on February 9, 2013 at 12:28 am
    • Hello Watson,
      I am new follower of Blog Cabin and hope to be a positive part of this family. I apologize if what I posted caused any controversy. I will do my very best to stick to the cabin chat only.
      Sincerely,
      Chris50555

chris50555 on February 7, 2013 at 6:28 pm
    • Chris, I'm so glad you joined the blog and want to welcome you! :) You have already begun to contribute in numerous ways and I know you are already a great addition to our motley bunch! We have fun here and hope your having been baptized into total unusualness and near despair on my and many of our frustrated Bloggie hearts–it's not usually like that! Hang with us! That, I hope was just a complicated hiccup! Enjoy the ride!B)xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on February 9, 2013 at 12:37 am
    • Thank you Kitty for the warm welcome. I understand the drama that can arise when you get a group of people together. I take it with a grain of salt, and yes sometimes I speak my voice when maybe I should bite my tongue. I look forward to watching our Cottage by the Sea grow and getting new ideas from DIY and the Blog Cabin Fans.
      Chris

chris50555 on February 9, 2013 at 1:40 am
    • Hi Watson, it's been a long time since We have heard from you..We miss you blogging with us,.but that has been sometime ago!! I hope You and Your Family are doing well..Sorry your Chiming in had to be under these circumstances, but thank you so much for coming to Our Rescue!!! .Yes, We LOVE this Cozy BC "Cottage" on the Water, Beautiful Location….Take Care!!!

Jennie/Florida on February 7, 2013 at 5:23 pm
    • Hello Watson,
      I am the "troublemaker" who likes strange things like the First Amendment. I would love your response to the same question I asked Kitty. It will certainly satisfy me. Read it and give your opinion, please.

draftswoman on February 7, 2013 at 5:24 pm
    • The best response I can give is a partial analogy. Many times you'll see outside of convenience stores or inside restaurants a sign that says "no loitering" – a business may not want someone just hanging out, not patronizing, exhibiting odd tendencies, menacing looks or what have you.

And if you behave that way, the business can ask you to leave. You may be able to linger in McDonalds if you buy a Big Mac, but if you scream and yell while you're eating it, you can still be requested to leave the establishment whether you are a paying customer or not. It's the right of that business. It may be a free country, but you are causing a disturbance on private property and you can be removed. You could even have a legitimate gripe from your perception – the Big Mac tasted funny, another patron spilled coffee on your shoes, etc. But if you are disturbing other patrons and guests, you could be the one who is escorted out.

I hope everyone here understands and I'm grateful for everyone's interest in this forum. This is my last word on the matter.

Watson on February 7, 2013 at 6:55 pm
    • Again, thank you

karenlin91 on February 7, 2013 at 7:04 pm
    • Hi there Watson. Good to hear from you even though it was prompted by unfortunate circumstances. As a blogger I look forward to being part of the "Blog Cabin Bloggers". We may not always agree with each other, however I believe we should always be respectful to each other. Thank you to you and DIY for giving us the opportunity to be part of the creating the 2013 Blog Cabin. Becky:)<3

bythebaydreamer on February 7, 2013 at 10:26 pm
    • Watson, however unrelated to the question it is, I still appreciate your taking the time to respond and get your own message across. I could not be happier with your answer.

Enjoy your cabin experience.

draftswoman on February 7, 2013 at 11:41 pm
    • Thank You!

Grammagail on February 8, 2013 at 11:35 am
    • Thank you Watson, and welcome back! I hope you will blog with us again even if none of us are naughty! You are also very welcome to whisper any secret info you would care to share about our beloved cabin!;)

SID on February 7, 2013 at 5:37 pm
    • ohhhhhh Watson, what SID said! Please stick around and whisper as much as you can…
      I love the info we keep hearing. It all just makes the cabin better.

karenlin91 on February 7, 2013 at 5:48 pm
    • Thank you, Watson. I couldn't have said it better. Thought of it, but didn't want to add fuel to the fire. B)

Dghawk4 on February 7, 2013 at 5:42 pm

vicki_in_Utah on February 7, 2013 at 6:14 pm
    • Thank you Watson. This wonderful Blog was becoming uncomfortable and at times way off topic. Love the cabin cam this year and I really love this location. It is one area I am considering when I retire – winning would hasten that occaision. Thanks for calming the waters here.

Windsmurf on February 7, 2013 at 6:27 pm
    • I like to "dream" about houses. This is great news for those of us who want to talk "house".

Larree on February 8, 2013 at 8:32 am
    • Hi Watson,

Normally enjoy when you visit with us, but this is not the usual happy occasion; hope the coastal breezes will blow this all away.

Wishing you and your's well.

Don

DGustaf on February 8, 2013 at 9:02 am
    • Hi Watson! :-) So good to hear from you…Thank You, Thank You for addressing this very unforunate problem. Since the beginning of Blog Cabin 2007 I've enjoyed learning, laughing, exploring options of all the projects. Good wishes to you and your family! Thank you for your productive management and positive input in DIY Blog Cabin. :-)

Heading South on February 8, 2013 at 9:05 am
    • Hi Watson, Thanks for intervening. I had not visited as much as I use to but now I feel like I can return and continue joyful discussions about renovation. Thank you.

Eugenia27 on February 8, 2013 at 3:52 pm
    • Hello Watson ! Thank you.
      This is my first time on here. I have enjoyed the HGTV House since 2000 and the Cabin since it started.
      Thank you for "putting your foot down", so to speak. I love seeing things as they progress. The Cam is great too! This is fun, with positive comments. The way we can make choices about the cabin is something I look forward to seeing with each new posting. The information about the building products
      is so informative. I love reading and putting some things into use. The entire programs are just great.
      Thank you and all the people that make this possible. I would love to win but it is still fun to dream.
      Thanks again—- Nan

Nan on February 8, 2013 at 4:36 pm

A peaceful blog where all of us lovely, and passionate bloggers can gather and discuss all things Blog Cabin is a beautiful thing.

Mel on February 8, 2013 at 6:22 pm
    • Thank you! I love commenting and chatting everyday and refuse to belittle myself to engage in these types of bloggs. I am sad that you had to come on here to tell grown adults how to behave! I love DIY!!!!! <3<3<3<3

Rebecca on February 9, 2013 at 1:14 pm
  9. AMEN

labrat8 on February 7, 2013 at 5:08 pm
  10. I enjoy morning coffee while looking at cabin cam and am distressed by all the bickering on the blogs. please keep blogs for comments regarding the build.

labrat8 on February 7, 2013 at 5:11 pm