Feb 6

Mysteries of the Deep

Blog Cabin 2013 Tree Trunk Foundation

As promised, we are proud to announce the launch of our Remodeling of Blog Cabin 2013 package on HGTVRemodels.com. One of our first features focuses on the elevated foundation and the primitive supports that stood in its place for over 120 years … tree trunks. Nope, no typo here. Read the article to find out how tree trunk foundations were constructed and stood the test of time. This is just the first of many facsinating nuggets of information we hope to share about this coastal North Carolina cottage in the weeks to come.

• Posted at 11:44 am on February 2, 2013

1. Thanks for the info interesting. A real big thank you for the cabin cam. Wish every house that you guys built would have this feature!

grswla on February 6, 2013 at 12:19 pm
  2. Wow! Talk about using your local resources!

Megan runknrule on February 6, 2013 at 12:24 pm
  3. That is really an incredible piece of history. Thanks for keeping us in the know. Now I can hardly wait to find out where in the house the timbers will be used.

flashy on February 6, 2013 at 1:30 pm
  4. It's really neat that they are planning to use some of the primitive support wood in the cottage, and are letting nothing go to waste. The winner can use all of the artifacts as a teaching tool when sharing the history of the orginal house with family and friends. Very interesting read, Thank you Dylan!

Heading South on February 6, 2013 at 1:44 pm
  5. Dylan, this is fascinating construction and regional history and I thank you so much for sharing it with us, along with the pictures too!!! :) What a learning experience! It will be very interesting to see what you make from the pieces of the pine trunk foundation supports…. Thanks for the new thread!B)xD<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on February 6, 2013 at 3:00 pm
    • B)

asandmancan on February 6, 2013 at 4:22 pm
    • B):p<3 Cool, huh?! Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on February 6, 2013 at 8:50 pm
    • Cut them into "slices" and use them for stepping stones.

YankeeNuke on February 8, 2013 at 1:46 am
    • Good idea!

karenlin91 on February 8, 2013 at 8:31 am
    • Thank you. There may be other uses, but I suspect that the “posts” are not sound enough to use for anything else.________________________________> From: notifications@intensedebatemail.com > To: frankrh77@live.com > Subject: karenlin91 replied to your comment on Mysteries of the Deep >

YankeeNuke on February 8, 2013 at 6:52 pm
  6. Thank you for all the information and the new thread. I have really enjoyed the cabin cam on this renovation. It is nice to see the progress day to day and to be able to zoom in on points of interest. Even when the work move more to the interior, I will still visit each day to see how my house is doing:*

Windsmurf on February 6, 2013 at 3:02 pm
    • LOL! Could be yours, Windsmurf… Don't ever stop dreaming! Or the rest of us!;):*<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on February 6, 2013 at 8:53 pm
  7. Thank you that was very interesting. I wonder if they used some of the same kind of logs for the dock?

vicki_in_Utah on February 6, 2013 at 3:22 pm
    • Those are modern pressure treated (probably CCA) pine logs. :)

Clive on February 6, 2013 at 4:18 pm
    • So the dock is a fairly new addition (in the 20th or 21st century)

vicki_in_Utah on February 6, 2013 at 5:37 pm
    • I think I remember Alicia blogging that it was either built or rebuilt just before hurrican Isabel. That hurricane did most of the damage seen then Irene finished it off. Sandy did little in this area. The cabin cam showed us that the flooding never reached further than the ditch.

Clive on February 6, 2013 at 6:05 pm
  8. Thanks for the new information. That should allay the fears of some bloggers that the house wasn't raised far enough. 8ft Above recorded flood level is a lot. :)

Clive on February 6, 2013 at 4:19 pm
    • I knew it had to be over 6 feet, because in earlier pictures men were walking under it without hitting their heads.

vicki_in_Utah on February 6, 2013 at 5:36 pm
    • It actually says it is 8 ft above sea level. I was glad to hear that. I could tell the land sloped up to the house, but this gives us a number now.

joanlife on February 6, 2013 at 7:15 pm
  9. Did you notice that the construction trailer is gone? The white truck towed it away a little while ago. It is the one that has been there for a few weeks. Pat

Pat Green on February 6, 2013 at 5:19 pm
    • I noticted that Pat. So I guess they are done, and new crews will come in. They sure wrapped the house fast today. So maybe the the siding people will be next,or the roofers.

vicki_in_Utah on February 6, 2013 at 5:35 pm
    • Way over to the right, as far as the camera will go, there is still a car there, and some kind of roofed something, can't see it all

karenlin91 on February 6, 2013 at 6:07 pm
    • And a guy is still there taking pictures (I think)

karenlin91 on February 6, 2013 at 6:13 pm
    • It's another trailer, a black one

karenlin91 on February 6, 2013 at 7:06 pm
    • Vicki, off subject, but very important, for you are part of our Blog Family–how are things going with Tom? How are the rest of you and Family holding up during this crisis? Love and hugs, Kitty<3

DwnSoDwnEaster on February 6, 2013 at 8:49 pm
    • Hi Kitty, I guess Tom is getting better he is a grouch, LOL… Luckly I have 2 daughter in laws and a daughter that are nurses. But the first time they unpacked the open wound, my daughter that goes to the tanning booths, lost her tan..LOL, it was /is pretty grouse, but slowing healing, he is still on oxgyn. One of my other sons and his wife is haveing a C section tomorrow, The plan was i was going to spend a week helping them, but I don't think so now. Thank your for all your good thougts and prayers.

Our Blogging Family is great isn't it? Boy the house is really moving along. Can't wait to see what is next.

vicki_in_Utah on February 6, 2013 at 11:29 pm
    • Thanks, Vicki. If Tom has energy to act grouchy, he must be doing better, Appears that someone doesn't like that I asked how your son, who almost died and is still hospitalized, is doing. My question caused you a TD so I fixed it.<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on February 7, 2013 at 4:05 pm
    • Thanks Kitty, I stay away from negitive comments like what was happening in the previous thread, so I guess someone is trying to get me back.

I wonder what they were filming this morning? Most of it was on the side we can't see. I guess we will have to wait.

vicki_in_Utah on February 7, 2013 at 6:19 pm
    • Vicki I couldn't see clearly, to be certain, but there was a pretty young woman with long dark hair with the camera crew. They spent quite a long time in the upstairs den area, so I wondered if the dark haired young lady might be Anitra from Mega Dens? Perhaps they were doing some "before" filming and Anitra might have also been planning the layout for the den? I'm looking forward so much to seeing what they do inside the house! B)

SID on February 7, 2013 at 9:31 pm
    • Hi Sandy! Anitra definitely has long dark hair! :) I bet it was she, getting measurements and getting a good visualization of the place she's working on for MEGA DENS! This BC is so exciting–what a story it has to tell, even the part about when the walls came a' tumblin' down! Did you notice the subtle fight continuation above of TD because I do not wish to argue? It Just makes no sense–we want peace for all! Now, I'm target #1. Silence would be so golden! I've just gone on: voted today, posted some, done my DIY thing as usual, but Wish Quiet and Peace for All Bloggies: that means ALL Bloggies! Phooey! Will it end? xD:$^_^<3 Kitty

DwnSoDwnEaster on February 7, 2013 at 10:17 pm
    • I had thought that it might be Anitra, but with a cap on and sunglasses I wasn't sure, but it would make sence that they do a before filming.

vicki_in_Utah on February 7, 2013 at 10:39 pm
    • Hi Vicki, yes I agree with you and Kitty that our blogging family is very special. So happy to hear your Tom is doing better. Best wishes to your son and daughter on the birth tomorrow. <3<3<3

SID on February 7, 2013 at 9:25 pm
    • Thanks SID

vicki_in_Utah on February 7, 2013 at 10:39 pm
  10. Thanks for the new thread – every little bit of info keeps us coming back for more :) I, too, can hardly wait to see where/how those old bits of the home's history are used in the finished project :D

Mimitheminer on February 6, 2013 at 6:11 pm